pixeltracker

The Best Thing You'll Read Today

The Best Thing You'll Read Today

iWannaBEaSedaris Profile Photo
iWannaBEaSedaris
#1The Best Thing You'll Read Today
Posted: 11/12/14 at 3:03pm

Found while looking at Playbill Jobs:
Link: http://m.playbill.com/jobs/job_detail/6-time-tony-emmy-nominated-actor-seeks-part-time-assistant-334620

Who is it?
Kelly?

Text of post below.

Category: Administrative

Paid: yes

Description:
Six-time Tony and Emmy nominated actor seeks highly organized, intelligent, educated, motivated, hard-working, high-energy, experienced, part-time assistant. Corporate experience welcome. Job is exciting and varied.

Assistant must:
-- speak and write grammatically correct English at a "first language" level
-- be highly computer/MS Office/iPod/iPad/iPhone/internet/social media fluent
-- be able to take dictation and type accurately; she must type at least 60 wpm (and be an excellent speller without relying on “spell check”)
-- have a valid United States driver’s license and be ready to drive
-- be comfortable driving and parking in Manhattan and environs
-- be comfortable with (and have 20+ hrs./week availability for) a highly flexible schedule: her work hours may be in the morning, through the day, and late at night on both weekdays and weekends, in locations both inside and outside Manhattan. The work week can, and does, vary.
-- be comfortable with party planning for both small in-home parties and planning and overseeing infrequent events with 100+ guests
-- maintain a professional demeanor and appearance
-- independently complete detail-oriented work tasks calmly and quickly with precision accuracy, in a variety of high-pressure, time-sensitive situations; i.e. weddings, opening nights, dinner parties

During the run of any theatre/film/personal appearance project, Assistant will:
-- prepare actor for each engagement
-- settle her in her dressing room or apartment
-- accompany actor to the theatre/set
-- pack up actor’s belongings at the end of the engagement

Other duties:
-- running lines with actor for upcoming Broadway, film, TV, and concert/personal appearance projects
-- running errands (shopping, drop-offs and pick-ups, pumping gas)
-- food shopping, cooking/meal preparation, table service, and kitchen/apartment cleanup before and after parties
-- simple cleaning and organizing
-- wardrobe prep and maintenance: light sewing, steaming and ironing, packing for trips, maintaining organized closets
-- dealing with correspondence, mail, bills, email, phone messages
-- merchandise sales (CDs, DVDs etc.)
-- gift wrapping and presentation (often for a large group)

Immediate start
$20 hr. starting salary/plus lunch
Job is 20-40 hours/wk. and will require some travel. Please note on your submission if you also have your own car (a plus).
Confidentiality agreement signed from first day of work.
Typing and grammar tests will be administered prior to personal interview.

Email cover letter and resume no later than Thursday, November 6 at 6:00 pm EST.

Response Method(s):
By Email: anon-545802f78c7b1@anon.playbill.com

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#2The Best Thing You'll Read Today
Posted: 11/12/14 at 3:06pm

I believe this was discussed at length, perhaps in the off-topic board. The consensus there was that Tovah Feldshuh was the likely prospective employer.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

binau Profile Photo
binau
#2The Best Thing You'll Read Today
Posted: 11/12/14 at 3:16pm

Why is it presumed the applicant would be female?

The role sounds like you'd be their slave lol.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#3The Best Thing You'll Read Today
Posted: 11/12/14 at 3:34pm

Maybe if you work for her for 12 years, she'll finally win an Oscar.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#4The Best Thing You'll Read Today
Posted: 11/12/14 at 4:12pm

Didn't people assume it was Tovah because a previous version of this ad has gone up a couple times and there was an email address included that mentioned Tovah?

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

FishermanBob Profile Photo
FishermanBob
#5The Best Thing You'll Read Today
Posted: 11/12/14 at 5:45pm

"food shopping, cooking/meal preparation, table service, and kitchen/apartment cleanup before and after parties"

So she wants someone who can take dictation, type 60 wpm, shop, cook and serve her meals, be her cleaning lady as well as her party planner, not to mention someone who can "settle her in her dressing room and apartment" whatever the hell that means, all in one person, in Manhattan on a part-time schedule that changes for her convenience and requires availability late nights and on weekends at her pleasure, all for $20 an hour. Good luck.

For a dose of reality, she may want to call a temp agency and ask them what temp receptionists whose entire set of duties are to say "good afternoon" and "have a seat over there and I'll let Mr. Smith know you are here" are getting paid per hour.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#6The Best Thing You'll Read Today
Posted: 11/12/14 at 6:17pm

This should be $50 an hour. And full time.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#7The Best Thing You'll Read Today
Posted: 11/12/14 at 6:29pm

Part time but job can be up to 40 hours a week?

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

promisespromises2 Profile Photo
promisespromises2
#8The Best Thing You'll Read Today
Posted: 11/12/14 at 6:54pm

"Part time but job can be up to 40 hours a week?"
I work in retail, with guaranteed 40 hours a week and my team is still considered "part time". It's awful.

chanel
#9The Best Thing You'll Read Today
Posted: 11/12/14 at 7:12pm

All you have to do is be the person's cook, driver, maid, gofer, and all-around slave and on some weeks it would pay all of $400 plus lunch!!!

Matt Rogers Profile Photo
Matt Rogers
#10The Best Thing You'll Read Today
Posted: 11/12/14 at 7:27pm

This is indeed Tovah, at it again. This is not the first time she has posted such an ad, although this one seems even crazier than the last one.

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#11The Best Thing You'll Read Today
Posted: 11/12/14 at 11:39pm

I also love how the ad says that if the slave owned their own car, it's a plus.
Jeez.

FishermanBob Profile Photo
FishermanBob
#12The Best Thing You'll Read Today
Posted: 11/13/14 at 1:30am

I can just imagine Tovah having her new assistant (let's call her Jane) take dictation:

Tovah: Jane, can you come here, I'd like you to take a dictation.

Jane: Sure Tovah, I have my pad. OK, go ahead.

Tovah: OK, this will be a Twitter reply, what do they call them? Tweets?

Jane: Yes, tweets. Go ahead.

Tovah: OK, this will be to @nachomama205

Jane: OK, @nachomama205, and the message?

Tovah: ROTFLMAO.

Jane: Just ROTFLMAO? Anything else?

Tovah: Should I add LOL at the end?

Jane: No, I think it's implied in ROTFLMAO.

Tovah: OK then, just that. Can you get that out tonight?

Jane: Sure, no problem.

Tovah: Thanks. I'm going to bed now so I won't have time to proof it. Make sure it's correct.

Jane: Will do Tovah, goodnight.

Videos