pixeltracker

Legally Blonde censored @ Kansas college

Legally Blonde censored @ Kansas college

Svetlana
#1Legally Blonde censored @ Kansas college
Posted: 11/24/14 at 12:32pm

Newman University's production of "Legally Blonde" faced criticism and censorship just before its run started last weekend. The uproar from the theatre department and local theatre community has begun a discussion about legality and the ethics of censoring the arts. Students fought the power for their final two performances and did the show uncensored, but the battle is far from over. Where is the line?

http://www.newmanvantage.com/2014/11/20/legally-blonde-censorship-rankles-cast-members/

Updated On: 11/24/14 at 12:32 PM

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#2Legally Blonde censored @ Kansas college
Posted: 11/24/14 at 12:32pm

Also...if they made changes they weren't authorized to make...it has legal ramifications.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#2Legally Blonde censored @ Kansas college
Posted: 11/24/14 at 12:45pm

How sad that this happened at a university.

....but the world goes 'round

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#3Legally Blonde censored @ Kansas college
Posted: 11/24/14 at 12:48pm

But did they keep the gay stuff? When I first saw the headline, that's what I thought this would be about, but the article doesn't say.

Theater'sBestFriend
#4Legally Blonde censored @ Kansas college
Posted: 11/24/14 at 2:27pm

Even if they kept the gay stuff, they've changed it by changing the tone of the show and, therefore, the context of the scene. It could now seem less obviously accepting of gay people without the satirical candor of the other lines.

So glad to know this "school" trusts its students to think for themselves. Goodness - just to think if the alert administrators hadn't clamped down promptly, no telling how many of its graduates might have learned about masturbation or become confused about whether lawyers are supposed to be corrupt.

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#5Legally Blonde censored @ Kansas college
Posted: 11/24/14 at 2:35pm

It begs the question, if they had to keep their show relatively family friendly, why did they pick that show to begin with? There are numerous lighthearted and fun musical comedies that would need no censorship whatsoever.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

FindingNamo
#6Legally Blonde censored @ Kansas college
Posted: 11/24/14 at 2:46pm

Let's make it BWW's resolution for 2015 that we learn what the phrase "begs the question" means before it becomes like "literally" which now means "figuratively."

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#7Legally Blonde censored @ Kansas college
Posted: 11/24/14 at 2:50pm

Oops, sorry.

I do have a tendency to throw about figurative language with no true comprehension of what it's really trying to say. "It makes one wonder" would have been better.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated
Updated On: 11/24/14 at 02:50 PM

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#8Legally Blonde censored @ Kansas college
Posted: 11/24/14 at 2:53pm

It is a Catholic university, so not just a standard issue university. Which begs the question what their science textbooks look like...

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#9Legally Blonde censored @ Kansas college
Posted: 11/24/14 at 3:46pm

I went to Catholic school for many years, from kindergarten through grad school. While I am not a Catholic and have many deep disagreements with the church, I can honestly say that, in science class, I never learned anything other than evolution by natural selection, the Big Bang, and other aspects of modern scientific consensus.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#10Legally Blonde censored @ Kansas college
Posted: 11/24/14 at 3:50pm

"The changes involved taking out any sexually derogatory remarks, references to sex and drugs, any use of the word “Christ,” and most all cursing."

Man, that sounds boring.

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#11Legally Blonde censored @ Kansas college
Posted: 11/24/14 at 3:50pm

kdogg-Ditto on that Catholic school experience.

I don't see what's so questionable about "Legally Blonde" (aside from the gay part towards the end). Most of it is harmless comedy.

Wilmingtom
#12Legally Blonde censored @ Kansas college
Posted: 11/24/14 at 3:59pm

The gay part is questionable? Get back in that time machine and switch the controls from 1967 to the 21st century!

rjm516
#14Legally Blonde censored @ Kansas college
Posted: 11/24/14 at 4:33pm

Oh how I would love if they/anyone similarly censoring shows got sued over the unlicensed changes.

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#15Legally Blonde censored @ Kansas college
Posted: 11/24/14 at 4:35pm

I saw a high school production of this show that was censored. The gay thing was not changed at all. I can however attest that watching this show censored is a very dull and flat experience. They even cut "Ireland" for some reason (maybe the part about beer?). About 3 months later I saw it at a very well respected community theater. It was a million times better. The show soars with it's mild vulgarity.

Comden Green Profile Photo
Comden Green
#16Legally Blonde censored @ Kansas college
Posted: 11/25/14 at 4:45am

" show soars with it's mild vulgarity."

Too funny. Should be an advertising blurb outside the theatre. That would bring them in.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#17Legally Blonde censored @ Kansas college
Posted: 11/25/14 at 5:50am

Directed this at my high school. Didn't change a thing. Some people were offended. We had record breaking audiences.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Svetlana
#18Legally Blonde censored @ Kansas college
Posted: 11/25/14 at 11:33am

Howard Sherman's expertly covered this story.

http://ow.ly/ERQ7p

JayG  2 Profile Photo
JayG 2
#19Legally Blonde censored @ Kansas college
Posted: 11/25/14 at 11:42am

It should be banned --- forever! For being an utter piece of garbage !!

Theater'sBestFriend
#20Legally Blonde censored @ Kansas college
Posted: 11/26/14 at 12:37am

Well, you'd better alert the Olivier Award committee in London -- they gave it Best Musical.

At least the administrators at Newman College agree with you (that is, assuming you aren't one.)