pixeltracker

The 2015 NBC Live Musical?- Page 7

The 2015 NBC Live Musical?

jemjeb2
#150The 2015 NBC Live Musical?
Posted: 12/6/14 at 11:04am

If it is to be a holiday event, why not "White Christmas" ( the stage version - not the mediocre movie). My first choice would be "She Loves Me" -
a perfect Christms musical, but it is probably not well known enough, but maybe with big stars in the cast...

theatregeek6 Profile Photo
theatregeek6
#151The 2015 NBC Live Musical?
Posted: 12/6/14 at 4:41pm

Will be interesting. Peter Pan did about half of SOM, which NBC said was expected.

Allison Williams isn't really a name. And trying to get kids to watch a show that ends at 11 won't fly on a school night with most parents.

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#152The 2015 NBC Live Musical?
Posted: 12/6/14 at 4:48pm

I think they could have definitely done this one as a 2-hour broadcast. I'd have enjoyed it a lot more if it was't so drawn out and if the pace was a little swifter the questionable aspects may have been less noticeable.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#153The 2015 NBC Live Musical?
Posted: 12/6/14 at 9:41pm

How about Mary Poppins with Laura Benanti and Christian Borle?

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#154The 2015 NBC Live Musical?
Posted: 12/6/14 at 10:00pm

jemjeb2, do you really find the movie version of White Christmas to be lackluster? I find it to be one of the best christmas movies ever.

Starship
#155The 2015 NBC Live Musical?
Posted: 12/7/14 at 1:46am

The film version of White Christmas is a classic...it's a movie I've treasured my entire life.

I think it could be a great candidate for a live musical, especially considering the broadcast timing. It's universally known and family friendly. Julianne Hough as Judy Haynes, please and thank you!

mikey2573
#156The 2015 NBC Live Musical?
Posted: 12/7/14 at 8:05am

I am not sure what appeal WHITE CHRISTMAS would have for children.

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#157The 2015 NBC Live Musical?
Posted: 12/7/14 at 9:42am

Call me crazy- but I've had this idea that (due to Alison Williams' lack of "star power" etc.) they should do Oliver! and cast Lady Gaga as Nancy.

She's got the voice. As long as she doesn't have the costume designers put her in something outlandish...I actually think it would be an inspired choice...

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

jemjeb2
#158The 2015 NBC Live Musical?
Posted: 12/7/14 at 1:21pm

Fantod - I certainly enjoy "White Christmas" ( the movie) for it's stars, colorful visuals and musical numbers, but the script is seriously lacking.
Does the whole "appeal to children" thing have to be part of the deal? How many musicls are there that actually do (appeal to children)?

decast
#159The 2015 NBC Live Musical?
Posted: 12/7/14 at 1:42pm

There's a part of me kind of wants them to do Starlight Express, just for the fact that it really could go horribly wrong. I mean, it would be difficult to star cast and it's a ridiculous idea but it would be ultimate car crash tv...and kid friendly lol!

theatregeek6
#160The 2015 NBC Live Musical?
Posted: 12/7/14 at 2:06pm

As a dad the 'appeal to the children' thing doesn't work on a Thursday lift until 11. Although I love the idea of a family tradition. And I get Thursday is the biggest ad dollar night

Maybe doing it when the kids are off? Christmas night? Or appeal a few years up in the family ages -Peter Pan skews very young

mikey2573
#161The 2015 NBC Live Musical?
Posted: 12/7/14 at 4:06pm

I like the idea of a live theatrical event being telecast on Christmas eve. But I think the networks would be better off looking for a known property with a cast that is familiar with the work. It would be similar to the BILLY ELLIOT LIVE type of presentation. I am wondering if it could even be a PPV event like boxing or wrestling.
Shows currently running on Broadway that would have worked:
Cinderella
Matilda
Pippin

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#162The 2015 NBC Live Musical?
Posted: 12/7/14 at 5:41pm

As a child I always found WHITE CHRISTMAS to be dreadfully dull. As an adult I'm not much more fond of it but that's besides the point.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

NoName3 Profile Photo
NoName3
#163The 2015 NBC Live Musical?
Posted: 12/7/14 at 10:50pm

A heterosexual on another forum says he wants them to do Annie with hot, 20s-something orphans.

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#164The 2015 NBC Live Musical?
Posted: 12/8/14 at 10:47am

That gives "hard knocks" a whole new meaning...

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

missthemountains Profile Photo
missthemountains
#165The 2015 NBC Live Musical?
Posted: 12/8/14 at 11:19am

If they are to do something, it definitely should not be something that has already been made. They'd have a significance lest chance of having people hate-watching the broadcast if its a premiere I think.

That being said, I think LSOH would be fun, but they'd never restore the original ending which is ultimately what a reboot would need.

Fosse76
#166The 2015 NBC Live Musical?
Posted: 12/8/14 at 12:10pm

Let's be a bit realistic. Most of the titles in this thread would not, by themselves, attract an audience that would justify the expense of the production. The Sound of Music is a well-known, beloved family friendly property. That, and Carrie Underwood's star power is what brought about the ratings bonanza. Without her (or some other superstar) the show probably would have received the same lukewarm ratings that Peter Pan received. Underwood isn't known as an actress, and Julie Andrews is irreplaceable, so I'm sure a sizeable portion of SOM's ratings were curiosity seekers.

Peter Pan is not as beloved by audiences (at least not this version), and much of its live appeal besides it family-friendliness is the flying effects. Without a superstar in the cast, it wasn't going to do nearly as well. No one knows who Allison Williams is, and Christopher Walken is known for being odd, so the casting turned a lot of people off. And they weren't even good, so there is no justification for this.

NBC now has two live musicals that were poorly received thanks to bad casting decisions. If they want to continue doing these, they need people who can sing AND act, and they will need a property people want to see. How many Cinderellas do we need? How many Peter Pans? How many Annies? How many Music Man's? The bizarre comment they made last year about how they were only going to do so-called classics is pretty much going to doom them, because today's children aren't going to be interested in the King and I or Anything Goes.

DigificWriter
#167The 2015 NBC Live Musical?
Posted: 12/8/14 at 2:38pm

They're doing The Music Man. This was announced back in the summer (I believe).

Liza's Headband
#168The 2015 NBC Live Musical?
Posted: 12/8/14 at 4:06pm

Incorrect. They announced that NBC had optioned the exclusive right to broadcast it. Not that it was the next choice. That was conjecture on the part of many bloggers, journalists, etc.

JulesReverie Profile Photo
JulesReverie
#169The 2015 NBC Live Musical?
Posted: 12/8/14 at 4:23pm

I wish it was Little Shop of Horrors starring Zac Braff as Seymour, Meghan Hilty as Audrey, and maybe someone like Cee Lo Green as Audrey II and Michael C. Hall cameoing as The Dentist

Updated On: 12/8/14 at 04:23 PM

theatregeek6
#170The 2015 NBC Live Musical?
Posted: 12/8/14 at 5:16pm

If they insist on family friendly classics what about Mame or Dolly?

JulesReverie Profile Photo
JulesReverie
#171The 2015 NBC Live Musical?
Posted: 12/8/14 at 6:02pm

How could I forget Mame, Mame would be perfect!

NEW_MusicalsForever
#172The 2015 NBC Live Musical?
Posted: 12/13/14 at 11:28am

WHICH MUSICAL IS NEXT FOR NBC!?!?!

Check the results below on a public poll! The Answer might surprise you.
RESULTS TO NBC'S NEW MUSICAL POLL

NEW_MusicalsForever
#173The 2015 NBC Live Musical?
Posted: 12/13/14 at 11:28am

WHICH MUSICAL IS NEXT FOR NBC!?!?!

Check the results below on a public poll! The Answer might surprise you.
RESULTS TO NBC'S NEW MUSICAL POLL

Mrtrobz
#174The 2015 NBC Live Musical?
Posted: 12/13/14 at 12:12pm

Do we really need another production of Cinerella? It's a great musical and I suppose a good fit for Christmas but like Peter Pan it's been done (better) many times.