pixeltracker

Cameron Mackintosh Confirms New Oliver! Movie...- Page 2

Cameron Mackintosh Confirms New Oliver! Movie...

Gothampc
#25Cameron Mackintosh Confirms New Oliver! Movie...?
Posted: 12/15/14 at 9:15pm

I bet Johnny Depp ends up as Fagin or Sikes.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Mrtrobz
#26Cameron Mackintosh Confirms New Oliver! Movie...?
Posted: 12/15/14 at 9:53pm

Oh Lord I hope not.

NoName3 Profile Photo
NoName3
#27Cameron Mackintosh Confirms New Oliver! Movie...?
Posted: 12/15/14 at 10:12pm

Geoffrey Rush as Fagin.

The Josh Profile Photo
The Josh
#28Cameron Mackintosh Confirms New Oliver! Movie...?
Posted: 12/16/14 at 3:51am

Tom Hardy for Bill Sikes

Mrtrobz
#29Cameron Mackintosh Confirms New Oliver! Movie...?
Posted: 12/16/14 at 5:01am

How about Meryl Streep?! I am thinking either Oliver or Fagin for her.

Updated On: 12/16/14 at 05:01 AM

phantom phan2
#30Cameron Mackintosh Confirms New Oliver! Movie...?
Posted: 12/16/14 at 5:37am

i will look forward to seeing a Miss Saigon adaption first...

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#31Cameron Mackintosh Confirms New Oliver! Movie...?
Posted: 12/16/14 at 7:13am

Another pointless remake of an Oscar winning musical film. Why don't they just go ahead and remake Robert Wise's production of THE SOUND OF MUSIC*

*Please note: Before any of you takes it upon yourselves to write back: "They already remade THE SOUND OF MUSIC please don't waste your time. THE SOUND OF MUSIC LIVE! was not a remake of the 1965 Oscar winning film. It was a live presentation of the original stage version. Thank you and have a nice day! Cameron Mackintosh Confirms New Oliver! Movie...?

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#32Cameron Mackintosh Confirms New Oliver! Movie...?
Posted: 12/16/14 at 7:28am

It was a live presentation of the original stage version, except for adding "Something Good" to replace "An Ordinary Couple".

Fixed that for you.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

CarlosAlberto
#33Cameron Mackintosh Confirms New Oliver! Movie...?
Posted: 12/16/14 at 7:34am

It still was NOT a remake of the 1965 film version.

Fixed that FOR YOU!

Updated On: 12/16/14 at 07:34 AM

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#34Cameron Mackintosh Confirms New Oliver! Movie...?
Posted: 12/16/14 at 7:36am

At what point did I contradict that? I just added that it wasn't a completely literal translation of the stage play, albeit far closer than fuckin' Peter Pan Live!

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

CarlosAlberto
#35Cameron Mackintosh Confirms New Oliver! Movie...?
Posted: 12/16/14 at 7:42am

You are right you didn't contradict that. My apologies. I'm not above admitting when I have made a mistake.

ShakinBaconGirl Profile Photo
ShakinBaconGirl
#36Cameron Mackintosh Confirms New Oliver! Movie...?
Posted: 12/16/14 at 7:46am

Why even remake this? There have been so many Oliver films and the musical one was an academy award best picture winner. You aren't going to top it. Start working on a Miss Saigon film, Mac.

CarlosAlberto
#37Cameron Mackintosh Confirms New Oliver! Movie...?
Posted: 12/16/14 at 7:47am

I wish they would concentrate on adapting a well known stage musical to film as opposed to one that already has been done - - - and done well.

Why can't Cameron Mackintosh just pull his resources together and make a film version of MISS SAIGON, which is a show that has all the ingredients to make a really wonderful film.

I don't think the world needs another film version of OLIVER! when Carol Reed's 1968 film version is damn near close to perfect.

*EDIT* I would love to see Chris Pine as "Chris" please!

Updated On: 12/16/14 at 07:47 AM

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#38Cameron Mackintosh Confirms New Oliver! Movie...?
Posted: 12/16/14 at 7:50am

Jay Lerner-Z: are you British?

Nope, not British, but I did spend a good chunk of my childhood outside of the US. Couldn't say where I picked it up, but needless to say I am mortified I could inadvertently use such an anachronous term without even realizing.

Note to self : Engage brain before posting. Cameron Mackintosh Confirms New Oliver! Movie...?

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

Mrtrobz
#39Cameron Mackintosh Confirms New Oliver! Movie...?
Posted: 12/16/14 at 7:53am

I'd love to see !iss Saigon as a film but unfortunately I don't think there are enough bankable Asian actors to sell it at the box office it would risk R more than a few roles being filled with unknowns and there are only a few roles to fill with Hollywood stars, that's pretty risky and that's why I think Oliver! would be more bankable from a film making success box office. I would argue that thematically it would be a hard sell but really no worse than the themes of Les Mis, in an ideal world it would work but I think it would be very hard to pull off. With Oliver! It has a built in brand recognition with families and plenty of roles to fill with Hollywood and British actors, I just hope they don't go the Annieroute and modernise it.

Updated On: 12/16/14 at 07:53 AM

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#40Cameron Mackintosh Confirms New Oliver! Movie...?
Posted: 12/16/14 at 9:07am

I would love to see Miss Saigon made someday! But at this point, I think Cameron Mackintosh is only focusing on getting the show back on the public's radar, which includes getting a new production up on Broadway.

As far as casting goes, they could always cast it like with Into the Woods where you have a combination of film actors and stage actors in a movie together (almost like if Diane Paulus was casting the film). And depending on how he does in The King & I, Ken Watanabe could be The Engineer... Updated On: 12/16/14 at 09:07 AM

StageStruckLad Profile Photo
StageStruckLad
#41Cameron Mackintosh Confirms New Oliver! Movie...?
Posted: 12/16/14 at 2:29pm

We need another Oliver! movie as much as we need a remake of All About Eve or Casablanca. The first Oliver! movie is just about perfect.

Now if Cameron could entice Nicolas Hytner to do a movie of Carousel, preferably NOT with Hugh Jackman as Billy, that would be lovely.

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#42Cameron Mackintosh Confirms New Oliver! Movie...?
Posted: 12/16/14 at 2:34pm

The 1968 film adaptation of OLIVER! was nice but I really hated the fact that the main actor, Mark Lester, was dubbed by a woman in her 30's. Sometimes the film would feel a bit to jubilant and theatrical for the story it's trying to tell and while it's a classic, a remake is somewhat needed.

Samantha Barks, Geoffrey Rush, and Tom Hardy as Nancy, Fagin, and Sikes; Mackintosh, make it happen!

CarlosAlberto
#43Cameron Mackintosh Confirms New Oliver! Movie...?
Posted: 12/16/14 at 2:35pm

The 1968 film adaptation of OLIVER! was nice but I really hated the fact that the main actor, Mark Lester, was dubbed by a woman in her 30's.

He was?!? Where did you get that information from TMZ?

Musical Master
#44Cameron Mackintosh Confirms New Oliver! Movie...?
Posted: 12/16/14 at 2:37pm

@Carlos, Yes he was by a woman named Kathe Green, and I prefer the official OLIVER! film Wiki page, it's more classy that way.

Musical Master
#45Cameron Mackintosh Confirms New Oliver! Movie...?
Posted: 12/16/14 at 2:37pm

DOUBLE POST! WHOOPS! Updated On: 12/16/14 at 02:37 PM

Princeton Returns Profile Photo
Princeton Returns
#46Cameron Mackintosh Confirms New Oliver! Movie...?
Posted: 12/16/14 at 3:08pm

Tom Hardy has already played Sykes so I doubt he would do the role again, even if it's a musical and a movie this time

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#47Cameron Mackintosh Confirms New Oliver! Movie...?
Posted: 12/16/14 at 3:36pm

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

Musical Master
#48Cameron Mackintosh Confirms New Oliver! Movie...?
Posted: 12/16/14 at 3:42pm

This is more or less why Hollywood doesn't want dubbing in musical films these days (except for Minnie Driver in PHANTOM), it's an old practice gone out of style. Nowadays people like Russell Crowe are not afraid to sing with their real voices on screen though some would rather want them to be dubbed.

mamaleh
#49Cameron Mackintosh Confirms New Oliver! Movie...?
Posted: 12/16/14 at 3:57pm

I saw Cameron Macintosh exiting THE RIVER after a performance last week. I was wondering if he was there solely to enjoy the play or maybe to discuss a project with Hugh Jackman? Hoping for the latter. Until now I hadn't realized Macintosh was doing a film remake of OLIVER! I could see HJ as either Fagin or Sykes, more likely as Sykes. That being said, I'm not convinced a new version of OLIVER! is needed.