pixeltracker

Silliest things said in a theare- Page 2

Silliest things said in a theare

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#25Silliest things said in a theare
Posted: 12/17/14 at 3:48pm

Immediately after a performance of Thou Shalt Not as I was exiting the theatre, a young woman exclaimed to her flamboyant male companion, "BEST. SHOW. EVER!"

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#26Silliest things said in a theare
Posted: 12/17/14 at 4:09pm

When I saw the 2001 revival of FOLLIES at the Belasco, a woman behind me exclaimed, "Well, you'd think that at these prices, they'd fix up the theatre!"

The theatre had deliberately been made to look as though it were crumbling, etc. Appropriate for the show.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#27Silliest things said in a theare
Posted: 12/17/14 at 4:30pm

I wasn't one of those.

Are you actually Latino, Carlos? I'm not sure what the custom was in that community.

But I was born in 1954. When I started showering with my PE class in 1966, there was one boy out of 40 who wasn't circumcized. He was quite the object of curiosity.

I haven't been single since the mid-1970s, but when I was sleeping around, the ratio was about the same.

I should have added that the pendulum has begun to swing back now that evidence suggests proper hygiene achieves the same health benefits as circumcision. Neither of my grandsons is circumcized, but their father grew up in Russia, where it wasn't a common practice.

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#28Silliest things said in a theare
Posted: 12/17/14 at 4:35pm

"Second silliest thing I've heard "Latecomers will not be seated".

That's the best thing ever said in a theatre.

>>>>>>>>>>

Well it WOULD be the best thing if they actually did it, but rarely do they.

Broadwayboobs Profile Photo
Broadwayboobs
#29Silliest things said in a theare
Posted: 12/17/14 at 4:53pm

I forget which musical I was at, but during intermission I overheard 2 teenage boys sitting in front of me discussing how they hate when friends say they're going to a play even though it's a musical. They both agreed that people should learn the correct terminology when discussing theatre. Then one turned to the other and said, "I can't wait for the soundtrack to be released on this show." to which his friend replied "me too!".

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. Ralph Waldo Emerson

The Glenbuck Laird Profile Photo
The Glenbuck Laird
#30Silliest things said in a theare
Posted: 12/17/14 at 5:20pm

"I think she is into me!"- My 79 year old dad while chatting it up with one of the Kit Kat Club girls while at a stage side table at Cabaret before the show started.

He he. Ha ha. Good work, made my day that

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#31Silliest things said in a theatre.
Posted: 12/17/14 at 5:24pm

I have nothing to contribute - I just wanted to fix the spelling error. ^

It was nice to see the thread take a turn into a circumcision history lesson, though, that was um...educational.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

Islander_fan
#32Silliest things said in a theatre.
Posted: 12/18/14 at 12:42am

There was one time where I was sitting in the boxes for the recent Hair revival. There were two teenage (maybe late teenage early 20's) girls who were sitting in front of me. Fully dressed in hippie/60's garb.They were talking about sixties pop culture etc and were very accurate about it. But, when the line "it's not for lack of bread, like the Grateful Dead" was sung, they turned to one another and asked "who's the Grateful Dead."

So much for claiming to know everything about 60s pop culture.

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#33Silliest things said in a theatre.
Posted: 12/18/14 at 9:03am

When I saw the 2011 revival of Follies, I had 2 older couples sitting next to me and discussing during intermission how they liked the 2007 City Center concert better because it was the abridged version. One woman also thought the ghosts should have done more and be more glamorous.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#34Silliest things said in a theatre.
Posted: 12/18/14 at 9:09am

I sat in front of a man who snored the entire way through the first act of iHo and then at intermission made a phone call wherein he enthusiastically proclaimed it the best new play running in New York City.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#35Silliest things said in a theatre.
Posted: 12/18/14 at 9:14am

When there was a knock on the door during a version of Anne Frank and someone from behind me who was so annoyed with the whole version said quite loudly... "She's upstairs"

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#36Silliest things said in a theatre.
Posted: 12/18/14 at 9:36am

Good try at an old joke, JRybka.

Here's a whole Snopes article about that very thing (although it was actually supposed to be "She's in the attic" which is funnier. It even shows the joke used in a Golden Girls episode.

She's in the attic

verdigris
#37Silliest things said in a theatre.
Posted: 12/18/14 at 10:43am

During Wicked intermission:

"What has this got to do with The Wizard of Oz?"

Dawn Davenport Profile Photo
Dawn Davenport
#38Silliest things said in a theatre.
Posted: 12/18/14 at 11:03am

Do movie theatres count?

Because the first thing that popped into my head when I read this question was when I was at a movie theatre to watch the film version of "Sweeney Todd" and I heard some dumbbell sitting behind me say before the movie started "I wonder if Danny Elfman did the score to this movie?"

I couldn't face palm hard enough......

James2 Profile Photo
James2
#39Silliest things said in a theatre.
Posted: 12/18/14 at 12:38pm

After seeing "Honeymoon in Vegas" yesterday, I'm inclined to mention The Garden of Disappointed Mothers.

My avatar = A screencap from Avatar, arguably the greatest animated show of all

Marway44 Profile Photo
Marway44
#40Silliest things said in a theatre.
Posted: 12/18/14 at 1:21pm

At the end of "Phantom" someone once said, "it's so sad the Phantom died".

jemjeb2
#41Silliest things said in a theatre.
Posted: 12/19/14 at 10:54am

"It must be true - I read it on the BWW board."

ghostlight2
#42Silliest things said in a theatre.
Posted: 12/19/14 at 11:00am

"I forget which musical I was at, but during intermission I overheard 2 teenage boys sitting in front of me discussing how they hate when friends say they're going to a play even though it's a musical. They both agreed that people should learn the correct terminology when discussing theatre. Then one turned to the other and said, "I can't wait for the soundtrack to be released on this show." to which his friend replied "me too!". "

A musical IS a play. It also has music in it. To say you are going to a play when going to a musical is correct. To say you are going to a musical is simply more specific.

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#43Silliest things said in a theatre.
Posted: 12/19/14 at 11:14am

Good try at an old joke, JRybka.

Here's a whole Snopes article about that very thing (although it was actually supposed to be "She's in the attic" which is funnier. It even shows the joke used in a Golden Girls episode.

Patash, I'm glad I'm not the only one who immediately thought of The Golden Girls!

Pootie2
#44Silliest things said in a theatre.
Posted: 12/19/14 at 11:27am

"A musical IS a play. It also has music in it. To say you are going to a play when going to a musical is correct. To say you are going to a musical is simply more specific."

I think that's the irony. And then there's the part where they call it a soundtrack instead of cast recording...

#BoycottTrumplikePattiMurin

emilyfaye48 Profile Photo
emilyfaye48
#45Silliest things said in a theatre.
Posted: 12/19/14 at 11:33am

At Side Show last week the group sitting around me couldn't stop complaining about how small they thought the seats and aisles were. They were all convinced the seats were small because the theatre was recently remodeled and more seats were installed. I resisted bursting their disgruntled bubble.

Without bread we'd just be hungry but without theatre we'd be dead

ghostlight2
#46Silliest things said in a theatre.
Posted: 12/19/14 at 11:46am

"I think that's the irony. And then there's the part where they call it a soundtrack instead of cast recording..."

I confess I never thought of that, but I still think the "soundtrack" remark that was meant to be the silly one. I don't think Boobs was talking about the musical/play part. Many, many intelligent people don't think of musicals as plays.

Funny either way.

Updated On: 12/19/14 at 11:46 AM

Pootie2
#47Silliest things said in a theatre.
Posted: 12/19/14 at 1:06pm

^You're probably right about the punchline. I interpreted the joke both ways, I guess.

#BoycottTrumplikePattiMurin

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#48Silliest things said in a theatre.
Posted: 12/19/14 at 1:30pm

I have a friend who always used to say "do you want to see a play with or without music". I always thought that sounded nicer somehow than "do you want to see a play or a musical".

MFPltd
#49Silliest things said in a theatre.
Posted: 12/19/14 at 4:26pm

I rarely post but the comment about "Thou Shalt Not" was too compelling to not respond. I still hear "TugBoat" in my darkest moments!

Videos