pixeltracker

Jenn Colella went on for Idina today- Page 3

Jenn Colella went on for Idina today

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#50Jenn Colella went on for Idina today
Posted: 12/17/14 at 11:05pm

I thought she did a really fantastic job! I enjoyed her much more than Jackie Burns, who seemed to be trying too hard to emulate Idina.

Pootie2
#51Jenn Colella went on for Idina today
Posted: 12/17/14 at 11:30pm

^Would Burns have been directed/told to emulate? I wonder if she was hired also for the physical resemblance; she's certainly been mistaken for Menzel a few times now.

#BoycottTrumplikePattiMurin

ChairinMain Profile Photo
ChairinMain
#52Jenn Colella went on for Idina today
Posted: 12/17/14 at 11:36pm

Understudies usually are asked to "emulate", aren't they? Isn't that pretty standard practice?

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#53Jenn Colella went on for Idina today
Posted: 12/17/14 at 11:51pm

is she listed in the Playbill as the u/s?? She's not listed on the show's website or Playbill Vault.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

delongpre
#54Jenn Colella went on for Idina today
Posted: 12/17/14 at 11:51pm

WOW! Always Starting Over was incredible! Thanks for posting links for those of us who could not make it today. Having never seen Jenn in a leading role, I am floored by hearing her perform these songs. Just wish I could have seen it also!

Pootie2
#55Jenn Colella went on for Idina today
Posted: 12/17/14 at 11:58pm

"is she listed in the Playbill as the u/s?? She's not listed on the show's website or Playbill Vault."

No, in an interview, she stated that she is the u/s but opted not to have it listed.

Broadwaydreaming Profile Photo
Broadwaydreaming
#56Jenn Colella went on for Idina today
Posted: 12/18/14 at 12:55am

Funny, my friend and I passed by the If/Then stage door just as the crowed was lined up. There weren't many people out there. We went to the show in the summer, but missed seeing Jenn at the stage door. When the barricade wasn't overflowing with people I asked the person next to me if Idina was out. She said yes, but Jenn Colella went on. I asked if she meant Jackie Burns, but the slip in her playbill said Jenn! About a minute later Jenn came out and was a complete sweetheart as usual. Only a few people stayed to congratulate her, but she took the time to chat with each person. Wish she could stay in the show post Idina ...but it's a business!. Thanks for the audio, a new but wonderful take on the role.

WickedGinger Profile Photo
WickedGinger
#57Jenn Colella went on for Idina today
Posted: 12/18/14 at 5:39pm

I know I'm being bad by asking... But does anyone have any videos of Jenn?

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#58Jenn Colella went on for Idina today
Posted: 12/18/14 at 6:02pm

None have surfaced on tumblr.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#59Jenn Colella went on for Idina today
Posted: 12/18/14 at 6:10pm

"Jenn is the second cover for the role and she opts to list Ann as her only role in the show in the Playbill."

Why would someone opt to not be listed as the second cover? I remember reading the answer to that on another thread, but can't remember.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Nateholder
#60Jenn Colella went on for Idina today
Posted: 12/18/14 at 6:27pm

She's pretty good. Nothing special though. It's exactly how I thought she would do it.

I would love to hear other actors in this role. Hope the show has a life after Idina.

rjm516
#61Jenn Colella went on for Idina today
Posted: 12/18/14 at 6:46pm

Wow!! Thanks! It's nice to listen to this song and not be afraid that the singer will lose her voice on the high notes :)

Pootie2
#62Jenn Colella went on for Idina today
Posted: 12/18/14 at 6:53pm

Here's the interview where Colella mentions her u/s role. As to why she didn't want it listed, probably because this was her first time understudying, and an element of intimidation:

http://stagedoordish.com/jenn-colella-speaks-about-returning-to-broadway-in-ifthen-chaplins-leading-man-rob-mcclure-and-finding-her-place-in-the-broadway-community/

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#63Jenn Colella went on for Idina today
Posted: 12/18/14 at 7:21pm

Comparisons are odious, but it's intriguing to hear "Always Starting Over" freed (and that's not pejorative) of the Menzel power and vocal persona. It certainly makes me appreciate the score independent of Menzel. Still believe it's an awfully exciting song in a very good score. And more than ever I love the orchestrations. I did on first listen (in the theater) and they have sounded wonderful to my ears ever since, so beautifully able to frame and set forth the emotional undercurrents.

Hearing this fine performance makes me realize how many young women will play this in BFA musical theater programs across the country. Like SIDE SHOW, this piece will have a long life with young, gifted artists. With all of the closings and negative energy swirlling about the chances for everything to recoup or survive, it's nice to pause and think of the extended lives musicals really do have. This show will be out there as long as theaters and schools are choosing shows for strong singing actors. It's exciting, it's an American art form, and maybe it takes a second understudy to remind me of how expansive (in terms of opportunity) and inclusive (in terms of talent) it always can be. Sometimes, listening to performers shine I feel like Michael Hitchcock's Steve Stark at RED, WHITE AND BLAINE's intermission. It's a great thing, the American musical.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 12/18/14 at 07:21 PM

Pootie2
#64Jenn Colella went on for Idina today
Posted: 12/18/14 at 7:25pm

The OBCR will likely have a healthy life beyond the musical, at least.

After Eight
#65Jenn Colella went on for Idina today
Posted: 12/19/14 at 7:04am

"It's a great thing, the American musical. "

It was, at least.

If/then exemplifies just how bad it has become,

Anyhow, I'm glad for Jenn Colella. I've always enjoyed her performances, and thought her role in this show made scant use of her talents

missthemountains Profile Photo
missthemountains
#66Jenn Colella went on for Idina today
Posted: 12/19/14 at 9:25am

Jenn Colella is simply the best. She was so great when I saw her in Closer Than Ever, and she sounds wonderful here.

elphaba.scares.me Profile Photo
elphaba.scares.me
#67Jenn Colella went on for Idina today
Posted: 12/19/14 at 12:57pm

Two answers to questions above: yes, understudies are typically asked to imitate/emulate the principal performer so that it doesn't throw off the other actors when they go on. Different directors/productions/stage managers give varying amounts of leeway on this.

Second: in general, when an actor doesn't list their understudy roles in the playbill, it's because they don't want the industry to see them in a "she understudies ______" light. Once casting directors know that a good actor is willing to cover, they can magically get pigeonholed and suddenly all their agent gets calls for are understudy roles. Especially for an actor like Jenn Colella, who has played principal roles before on Broadway and probably doesn't want anyone to think her career is stalling. Of course, she has less risk because she's still playing a principal character in If/Then...but usually that's the reason.

Pootie2
#68Jenn Colella went on for Idina today
Posted: 12/19/14 at 1:04pm

^Interesting about pigeonholing, thanks for the input.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#69Jenn Colella went on for Idina today
Posted: 12/19/14 at 2:40pm

That immediately made me think of Megan McGinnis in Side Show.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

ohjustjake
#70Jenn Colella went on for Idina today
Posted: 12/19/14 at 4:15pm

Also, I remember this happened with Elena Shaddow in Bridges - I heard that when an actor is listed as an understudy, when they go on they only get a quarter size slip in the playbill, and if they're not listed, they get a full page insert instead.