BroadwayNYC2
#50PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 2:09pm

oops wrong thread Updated On: 12/29/14 at 02:09 PM

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#51PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 2:10pm

It'll really all depend on the director. I could have never imagined the Broadway musical CHICAGO as written working on film, I mean, there's entire strings of numbers with no dialogue, the plot is a bit thin, and its entire concept is based on the idea that is being presented on stage. Rob Marshall and Bill Condon "unlocked" the puzzle though, and in the process delivered one of the best movie musicals of all time. At the same time, things that seem inherently cinematic like THE PRODUCERS felt more stage-bound as movie musicals than their stage versions because of a director who has no idea what she was doing with the camera.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Bwaydide92
#52PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 2:33pm

I may be (and probably am) wrong about this, but wouldn't Emma Watson be a poor choice for Catherine? Isn't Catherine supposed to be an actress that's too old for the role? And Emma Watson is in the prime of her youth.

Also! I would love if they had a diverse cast. Pippin and Charles don't have to be the same ethnicity, they are actors playing these roles, so they can be from a variety of backgrounds. A great chance to have a colorful cast and not just white, white, white, white, ooo look a black leading player, white, white, white.

And, for the Deaf West production of Pippin, Schwartz wrote a new song to replace No Time At All, since having a deaf audience sign-a-long wasn't appropriate, and I remember it being enjoyable. They may have to do something like that.

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#53PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 2:37pm

Kristen Wiig for Catherine

Updated On: 12/29/14 at 02:37 PM

Bwaydide92
#54PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 2:42pm

^Beautiful

Updated On: 12/29/14 at 02:42 PM

helvizz Profile Photo
helvizz
#55PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 2:51pm

I'd love to see Dan Radcliffe as Pippin.

And Uzo Aduba would be a great Leading Player. Not sure she's big a name enough for a movie, she'd probably do better on Broadway, but she's phenomenal in Orange is the New Black and her career seems to be taking off. If she wins the Golden Globe, she could be someone to consider. Same thing with Retta, she'd probably be great, but I'm not sure she's big a name enough.

Also, can Viola Davis sing and dance? She's definitely big enough for the role and we all know sh's a force of nature when it comes to acting.

Updated On: 12/29/14 at 02:51 PM

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#56PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 4:58pm

Wish this had been made back in the day so Cher could have played the Leading Player. Uzo Aduba is wonderful but this is a role that'll go to a big star, it's the Tony-winning role. I imagine they'll be fine casting less well-known people in other roles (including Pippin, which I certainly could see a stage actor taking a la James Corden being cast as the Baker). But the Leading Player is the star role, I can see the likes of Beyonce, Rihanna, Pink, and Lady Gaga being up for it.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#57PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 5:07pm

Okay, so Beyonce, Rihanna, Pink, Lady Gaga: who's the better dancer?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#58PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 5:16pm

Cher.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#59PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 5:19pm

I love Rihanna but she's a terrible dancer.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Starship
#60PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 5:25pm

Lady Gaga would do the character justice and most likely present a different interpretation than it's been done before. I feel as if Beyoncé would just be...Beyoncé. I love her vocally, but I feel it wouldn't be anything special. Not a fan of Perry but I think she'd be able to do it well. Overall, it depends on how they're themeing the show. If they're going for more of a creative approach, I could see someone like Gaga. If they were going for more of a time-period realistic approach, maybe someone like Perry?

Anyone but Rihanna please....

Wilmingtom
#61PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 5:29pm

Aren't most of these suggestions far too old? Especially Berthe, who is referred to in the lyric as being 66 years old. Although a few years younger, how about Cyndi Lauper as Berthe? I could believe that character seeming a bit younger than she actually is.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#62PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 5:30pm

NICOLE. SCHER. ZINGER. PLEASE!

Jordan Catalano
#63PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 5:32pm

Kanye.

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#64PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 5:37pm

Pippin really doesn't work as a film... at all.
Any kind of adapting they do will butcher the story to the point of it being unrecognizable

Jordan Catalano
#65PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 5:44pm

You saw the movie already?? Can you give a specific examples of why you didn't think it worked as a film?

icecreambenjamin
#66PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 5:54pm

Go ahead and be excited for it, but it isn't a story that will translate very well to film.

Jordan Catalano
#67PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 5:56pm

and that's your expert opinion?

FishermanBob Profile Photo
FishermanBob
#68PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 5:57pm

"You saw the movie already?? Can you give a specific examples of why you didn't think it worked as a film?"

I saw the film too. First of all, they set it in a nursing home in Cleveland and the Fastrada character was the "sort of hot" middle age nurse who gives the sponge baths. And Abe Vigoda was Pippin. A little too old IMHO and he needed help to get thru the hoop at the beginning. It went downhill from there.

Jordan Catalano
#69PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 5:58pm

That's a shame. I like that casting better than a lot of the other names that have been thrown around here.

icecreambenjamin
#70PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 6:09pm

Pippin is the stagiest musical ever written. I have no clue why someone would think that Pippin is a good choice to make a film out of.

Yes, that is my expert opinion.

Jordan Catalano
#71PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 6:11pm

I'm glad you're at least keeping an open mind.

icecreambenjamin
#72PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 6:12pm

I'll still go see it, but I'm confused as to how they will pull this off.

Jordan Catalano
#73PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 6:17pm

I'm glad you'll go see it with a totally open mind.

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#74PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 6:35pm

@ Wilmingtom - i LOVE the idea of Cyndi Lauper. I remember seeing Annie Potts in the role and for some reason, she reminded me of Cyndi. I could totally see it.

Darreyl with an L!