PIPPIN Movie Cast

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#1PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 1:09am

Might as well start dream casting it now.

Link Updated On: 12/29/14 at 01:09 AM

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#2PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 1:10am

Should the Leading Player be a male or a female in this new film?

binau Profile Photo
binau
#2PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 1:12am

Bernadette Peters for all roles.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Jordan Catalano
#3PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 1:13am

Angela Lansbury for Berthe.

Visceral_Fella
#4PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 1:16am

Usher should be The Leading Player.
I think Sissy Spacek would be fun as Berthe, so would Whoopi Goldberg
Amy Adams as Catherine

I wish Charlize Theron, Julianne Moore, or Angelina could sing to be Fastrada. Actually Jennifer Aniston would be fun too.

James Earl Jones, or Eddie Murphy would be good for Charles.

Updated On: 12/29/14 at 01:16 AM

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#5PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 1:17am

Can we first talk about how outrageous is the suggestion of Christian Borle as Pippin? Like, seriously?

Jordan, I actually love that suggestion. Cloris Leachman also comes to mind. Since it's Harvey, he'll probably just get Judi Dench though. I imagine he'd also try to get Eddie Redmayne for Pippin.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

binau Profile Photo
binau
#6PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 1:20am

The Christian Borle suggestion makes absolutely no sense. He is absolutely wrong for the role AND he is not a star - has the person who suggested this even seen the show or took 30 seconds to read about it on wikipedia? haha.

In before Zac Efron is cast.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Jordan Catalano
#7PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 1:21am

I'd like to see Jonathan Groff.

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#8PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 1:24am

This may seem weird, but I think Andrew Keenan-Bolger could be good for the role, though undoubtably they will get a film or television actor.

Visceral_Fella
#9PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 1:27am

If they want a woman to be The Leading Player Gugu Mbatha-Raw would be excellent. Also how did I not think of Tina Turner for Fastrada, Olympia Dukakis for Berthe, and John Goodman for Charles.

Updated On: 12/29/14 at 01:27 AM

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#10PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 1:30am

If they cast 2-4 roles with stars could they possibly cast unknowns in other parts? The only person I want to see as Catherine is Rachel Bay Jones. I could see Darren Criss as Pippin.

Princeton Returns Profile Photo
Princeton Returns
#11PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 1:41am

Daniel Radcliffe as pippin

RW3
#12PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 1:42am

Zac Efron-Pippin
Jennifer Hudson-Leading Player
Tracey Ullman-Berthe
Kate Hudson-Fastrada
Lesli Margherita-Catherine
Kelsey Grammer-King Charles
Billy Magnussen-Lewis

Visceral_Fella
#13PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 1:44am

I need Jennifer Hudson to only sing, which is the same need that I have for Beyonce. I like them both a lot, but their acting is absolutely unacceptable all the time.

Bucky Builder Profile Photo
Bucky Builder
#14PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 1:46am

It would be very fitting if Pippin was a complete unknown.

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#15PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 2:46am

I'm here for unknown Pippin and female Leading Player.

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#16PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 2:48am

I'd love to see Imelda Staunton as Berthe. Jonathan Groff would be a lovely Pippin but I fear he's too old... Emma Watson for Catherine, Lupita Nyong'o as the leading player, Zac Efron as Lewis, Catherine Zeta Jones as Fastrada

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#17PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 3:28am

I was going to say with the Weinsteins involved, I wouldn't be surprised to see Catherine Zeta-Jones or Nicole Kidman pursued for Fastrada. I do wonder if they'll go for a male or female leading player, or if they'll just audition both genders. I'd love to hear Queen Latifah sing some of those songs but I don't think she's much of a dancer. I wouldn't be surprised if they are looking at someone like Beyonce whose work has been influenced by Fosse.
More than the cast, I'd like to know who is on their short list for director.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Starship
#18PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 3:37am

Some part of me is thinking they might go with a more unusual/unexpected approach for the Leading Player with an A+ list singer/actress. If so, I'd be game for someone like Lady Gaga. Aside from that, I liked the Emma Watson as Catherine suggestion and I'd personally also like to see Glenn Close as Berthe and someone like Vanessa Williams as Fastrada. That could be fun. And if they went with a black Pippin, I'd love to see Idris Elba as King Charles with Alfred Enoch as Lewis.

Updated On: 12/29/14 at 03:37 AM

pmensky
#19PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 3:38am

Beyoncé as the Leading Player.
Unknown actor as Pippin.
Kate Hudson as Fastrada.
Martin Short as Charles.
Wesley Taylor as Lewis.
Scarlett Johannsen as Catherine.
Maggie Smith as Berthe.

broadwayboy223
#20PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 4:12am

It's a pretty far off suggestion but I'd love to see Julie Andrews as Berthe. It's a long shot because of her singing surgery but she could just talk the songs. I'd love to see her on the big screen again.

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#21PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 4:21am

Miss John Travolta as Berthe.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#22PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 5:29am

I love threads like this because I just sit back and laugh or cringe at all of your suggestions...depending on who's being suggested.

Carry on...

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#23PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 5:31am

John Travolta should just play every role in the movie

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#24PIPPIN Movie Cast
Posted: 12/29/14 at 5:49am

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Pink as a candidate for Leading Player. She has done some sort of aerial gymnastics in the past.

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)