pixeltracker

NBC To "Ease On Down The Road"?- Page 4

NBC To "Ease On Down The Road"?

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#75NBC To
Posted: 1/16/15 at 5:12pm

I think this presents NBC with more opportunities for success then The Music Man. The Wiz has a much pop-ier sound to it which is easier for more people to sing. Parts of The Music Man require a very skilled singing voice. Not as much with this. The cast size would allow for a good blend of name talent, plus room for theater actors.

For some reason, this just seems like something Patti Labelle would do. I realy enjoyed the clips of The Wiz from Gypsy of the Year. I'm typically not a huge Charl Brown fan, but I really liked his Scarecrow.

brldisteach2
#76NBC To
Posted: 1/16/15 at 10:53pm

Not sure which role, but I would love to see them cast Uzo Aduba in The Wiz.

pmensky
#77NBC To
Posted: 1/16/15 at 11:21pm

I really hope this happens, but I hope they don't try to update it as the article on BWW suggests. The "updates" they did for Peter Pan didn't work well. I want that 70's design and beat. It's such a part of music history that they should maintain the original flavor of the show.

Visceral_Fella
#78NBC To
Posted: 1/16/15 at 11:28pm

There are two young women who would be great as Dorothy who haven't been mentioned.

There's Tinashe who is a new singer who is popular in the African-American community. She's being pursued to play Beyoncé in the Lifetime movie about Destiny's Child. She's quite talented, and she's only 21.

There's also Zendaya Coleman who is very popular, and had her own show on Nickelodeon. She was also offered the role of Aaliyah in the lifetime biopic, but turned it down. She's also legitimately a teenager and still will be when this begins filming.

I wouldn't be shocked if Dorothy was someone like them. I know everyone is saying that Dorothy will be a big star, but NBC may be content with casting a Dorothy who is more well known in the African-American community and not necessarily a huge mainstream pop star, given the material. Then they can beef other roles in the show out with huge mainstream stars, then they'll satisfy multiple demographics.

Updated On: 1/16/15 at 11:28 PM

Starship
#79NBC To
Posted: 1/16/15 at 11:53pm

Zendaya and China Ann McClain are the only two current teen star I wouldn't mind seeing in a broadcast like this. However, Zendaya is filming her new TV show at Disney right now and I don't know if she'd have the time to dedicate. Also, I don't know if she has the belt range needed for the role.

Visceral_Fella
#80NBC To
Posted: 1/16/15 at 11:56pm

Oh my goodness how did I forget China? She's adorable!

Starship
#81NBC To
Posted: 1/17/15 at 12:37am

She is and she has great timing and a powerhouse voice. I don't follow her but I did just watch her performances on "Sing Your Face Off" and she truly is marvelous.

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#82NBC To
Posted: 1/17/15 at 12:44am

Keke Palmer and Janelle Monae are my top choices for Dorothy. Audra McDonald as Glinda would be inspired, and Patti LaBelle would make a thrilling Evilene. I also wouldn't be surprised if we see Corbin Bleu in this somewhere.

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

Starship
#83NBC To
Posted: 1/17/15 at 12:58am

Corbin as the Scarecrow would be so much fun! And it helps that he can dance too!

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#84NBC To
Posted: 1/17/15 at 1:13am

As this thread has proven, The Wiz offers the chance for far more interesting, exciting, casting than The Music Man, which seems predestined to predictably star Kelli O'Hara.

sparepart973
#85NBC To
Posted: 1/17/15 at 1:17am

Amber Riley as Dorothy
Stephanie Mills as Aunt Em
Heather Headley as Glinda
Lillian White as Evelene

ILOHTFAHA (Aida Man) Profile Photo
ILOHTFAHA (Aida Man)
#86NBC To
Posted: 1/17/15 at 2:05am

China Ann McClain as Dorothy
Corbin Bleu as Scarecrow
Daniel Breaker as Tin-Man
Alan Mingo Jr. as Cowardly Lion
Audra McDonald as Glinda
Roz Ryan as Addapearle
Patti Labelle as Evilene
Jesse L. Martin as The Wiz

Updated On: 1/19/15 at 02:05 AM

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#87NBC To
Posted: 1/17/15 at 3:09am

I could see Amber Riley as Addpearle! Heather Headley should be involved. She's a gem.

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#88NBC To
Posted: 1/17/15 at 5:24am

I would love to see LaChanze and Natalie Venetia Belcon in this.

....but the world goes 'round

mikey2573
#89NBC To
Posted: 1/17/15 at 9:17am

Could Quvenzhané Wallis play Dorothy, or is she too young (12)?

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#90NBC To
Posted: 1/17/15 at 9:26am

Not entirely sure she could pull off the live vocal, but she's pretty close to how the role is scripted, even though it's usually been played by performers who are older. It would be a solid choice, provided they could get her for it, the likeliness of which... well... I don't wanna say it couldn't happen, but...

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

Visceral_Fella
#91NBC To
Posted: 1/17/15 at 9:47am

Quvenzhane can't sing it, as adorable as she is, it would honestly diminish an already poorly written role. Dorothy has to sing well because it's written so thanklessly or else the part has nothing going for it.

theatregeek6 Profile Photo
theatregeek6
#92NBC To
Posted: 1/17/15 at 10:48am

Lila Crawford as Dorothy?

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#93NBC To
Posted: 1/17/15 at 10:53am

The only other thing to worry about, after last year, is this: surely we're not going to rewrite the script this time, right? Between the Joel Schumacher rewrite for the film that really sucked all the air out of The Wiz, and the poorly received rewrite of Peter Pan last year, we are smart enough not to screw with the book, right? I mean, not that it was ever the strong point of The Wiz, but we're at least not mixing in crap from the movie's plot, right? RIGHT?

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

broadwayboy223
#94NBC To
Posted: 1/17/15 at 10:56am

There is no way there going to get an actual little girl for Dorothy. They need someone who is more reliable that can handle the pressure. I have a instinct that they are going to do music man first. It's just easier to cast and would probably bring in more viewers than the wiz. Besides O'hara for Marian I'd love to see Megan Hilty considered. (Besides her belt) She's a full soprano and would be lovely.

jimmycurry01
#95NBC To
Posted: 1/17/15 at 11:02am

What on earth makes you think that The Music Man would bring in more viewers than The Wiz? The only way that would happen is if they manage to grab a huge star for either Harold Hill or Marion.

Oh, and NBC has definitely learned that the success of these musicals relies on star casting, as seen in the following article:
Crappy Ratings Not NBC ' S Fault Updated On: 1/17/15 at 11:02 AM

Wilmingtom
#96NBC To
Posted: 1/17/15 at 1:44pm

If they load the supporting cast with names there's no reason they couldn't cast an unknown teenage girl as Dorothy and create a star. Jamie Foxx as The Wiz? Jennifer Hudson as Glinda?

Starship
#97NBC To
Posted: 1/17/15 at 1:49pm

There is no way their budget allows for names like Jamie Foxx and Jennifer Hudson, especially considering they aren't even LEAD roles. Glinda has 1 song and a relatively short scene at the end of the show. And kids are tricky because you have to be SURE that they'll not only be able to carry the show, but survive the 4 month rehearsal process leading up to the actual broadcast. If not played by a star, the actress playing Dorothy will at least be 18. Updated On: 1/17/15 at 01:49 PM

Bucky Builder Profile Photo
Bucky Builder
#98NBC To
Posted: 1/17/15 at 1:51pm

Just get Ariana Grande to be Dorothy. Problem solved.

Wilmingtom
#99NBC To
Posted: 1/17/15 at 1:58pm

They got Carrie Underwoord and she's a pretty big star, no? I think has more to do with an actor wanting the challenge of doing something different than the paycheck. And who do we want to direct and choreograph?