Matilda Balcony Seats?

JonahKost
#1Matilda Balcony Seats?
Posted: 1/21/15 at 10:22pm

How good are front row middle balcony seats? I've seen some pictures, but I've never been to the Shubert before.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#2Matilda Balcony Seats?
Posted: 1/21/15 at 11:33pm

You mean the mezzanine?
If you are in the first few (3-4) seats on the ends, you will have to lean in due to the way the set is constructed. I think there is a pretty high bar as well. But it's pretty darn close to the stage and a great view, otherwise.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#2Matilda Balcony Seats?
Posted: 1/22/15 at 7:37am

I took a group and therefore, had nosebleed seats. Saw nearly everything just fine. There is an audience exit (or two?) that you can't see. Didn't miss it.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

acekatherineplumber2 Profile Photo
acekatherineplumber2
#3Matilda Balcony Seats?
Posted: 1/22/15 at 8:25am

I sat there and I was able to see perfectly fine.

JonahKost
#4Matilda Balcony Seats?
Posted: 1/22/15 at 8:41am

I meant balcony. The Shubert has a mezzanine and a balcony.

Wickedmonkey332 Profile Photo
Wickedmonkey332
#5Matilda Balcony Seats?
Posted: 1/22/15 at 8:55am

It is definitely better to sit anywhere in the balcony than in the rear orchestra or mezzanine where the overhang is criminal.

KathyNYC2
#6Matilda Balcony Seats?
Posted: 1/22/15 at 11:32am

I can't agree. I hated the balcony - its just too high up and you can barely see faces and expressions (and the sound is AWFUL, I could barely understand what anyone was saying).

I am usually a front Mezz girl - I think those are the best seats in general but I agree closer is better for this show... so close up Orch or Mezz is my choice.

However, I would still take the back of the orchestra over anywhere in the balcony.

But that's just me - others as noted disagree.

Bwaydide92
#7Matilda Balcony Seats?
Posted: 1/22/15 at 11:53am

I sat second row balcony the first time I saw Matilda. Terrible seats. The from row has to lean forward to see anything that happens downstage (and a lot does) so you have to lean forward, obstructing the view of those behind you. I saw it in the midd mezzanine this week and the seats were way better. Never sit in the balcony at the Shubert.

Broadwaydreaming Profile Photo
Broadwaydreaming
#8Matilda Balcony Seats?
Posted: 1/22/15 at 5:11pm

Depends on your viewing preference and whether you are attending the show for price or significant interest. I went because a friend wanted to go, but she didn't have the money for closer seats. We were in the last row of the balcony. It didn't hinder my ability to view the show. Yes you will miss some things, but not a lot. The sound is ok, but some things may be a struggle to understand. What I hated about the balcony was that if I wanted to see everything better, I had to lean forward during the whole show. I'm also not a fan of heights. For the price though, it wasn't a bad experience at all.
If I were to go back though, I would get front mezz or orchestra.

theatregeek6 Profile Photo
theatregeek6
#9Matilda Balcony Seats?
Posted: 1/22/15 at 5:48pm

First row may be ok. Second row was awful because everyone the the first row had to lean forward. Although I do also agree rear orch and rear mezz are just terrible