pixeltracker

Allegiance coming to Broadway - Page 2

Allegiance coming to Broadway

seahag2 Profile Photo
seahag2
#25Allegiance coming to Broadway
Posted: 2/15/15 at 9:06pm

I'm so excited for this show! I remember when it was really reallllly new and Allie Trimm had just taken on a workshop role. I only knew of this show because I was obsessed with 13 and saw Allie say something about it on her facebook page. I didn't even know who Telly, Lea, or George were. (I was in 7th grade okay this was the beginning of my musical theatre obsession). Nonetheless, this is the kind of story that NEEDS to be told. The american chapter of Japanese internment is so often forgotten and I'm glad a medium like the stage can tell its story. Not only will it shed light on the issue but it'll also give Asian actors jobs that aren't character/stereotypical roles in the process!

so I smile like Mona Lisa and I lay my Visa down

Pootie2
#26Allegiance coming to Broadway
Posted: 3/4/15 at 10:36pm

Well, it sounds like Salonga's involvement is pinned on how negotiations turn out (not surprising), but her wording here is more hopeful than the previous caution.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/BWW-Interview-Theatre-Legend-Lea-Salonga-on-ALLEGIANCE-Her-Stage-Legacy-and-Bringing-a-Brand-New-Show-to-Town-Hall-20150302

#BoycottTrumplikePattiMurin

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#27Allegiance coming to Broadway
Posted: 3/4/15 at 10:46pm

I attended a reading of this the other day and was pretty damn impressed by the score. I can't wait to see this show come to Broadway finally.

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#28Allegiance coming to Broadway
Posted: 3/4/15 at 11:01pm

"Salonga's involvement is pinned on how negotiations turn out (not surprising)"

why is this? Does she have a history with things falling through in negotiations?

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

Pootie2
#29Allegiance coming to Broadway
Posted: 3/4/15 at 11:16pm

I mean in general, an actor's involvement is always pinned on negotiations.

Phillypinto
#30Allegiance coming to Broadway
Posted: 3/4/15 at 11:26pm

oh i thought there was something i didn't know about haha

rcwr Profile Photo
rcwr
#31Allegiance coming to Broadway
Posted: 3/4/15 at 11:50pm

Jordan, that's so cool that you attended a reading. May I ask, are "Second Chances" and "The Mountain's Heart" still in the score? I love these versions on youtube, but of course things change as a show goes through various productions.

For people who haven't heard them:

Second Chances
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUGf4Cyc7Vg

The Mountain's Heart
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPYEsYp8xhw

Phillypinto
#32Allegiance coming to Broadway
Posted: 3/5/15 at 1:18am

The score is very strong!! This show seems incredible!! Anyone think it can give Hamilton a run for its money?

seahag2 Profile Photo
seahag2
#33Allegiance coming to Broadway
Posted: 3/5/15 at 2:43am

Philly- I'd be happy if either shows won Best Musical next year! Friendly competition can't hurt, right?

so I smile like Mona Lisa and I lay my Visa down

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#34Allegiance coming to Broadway
Posted: 3/11/15 at 2:44pm

So is George Takei the only one continuing with the show, or are Salonga and Leung still in "negotiations"?

http://www.actorsequity.org/castingcall/browse_breakdown.asp?NoticeID=36948&Contract=Production+(League)

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#35Allegiance coming to Broadway
Posted: 3/11/15 at 2:50pm

Negotiations. http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/2015/03/lea_salonga_nyc_town_hall.php?page=2

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#36Allegiance coming to Broadway
Posted: 3/11/15 at 11:09pm

Also, Jon Jon Briones is currently the Engineer (just nominated for an Olivier Award for his performance) in the London-Miss Saigon revival and I hear he'll come over for the Broadway run next season so he's not going to be involved with Allegiance...he was only in the ensemble.

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 3/11/15 at 11:09 PM

ebontoyan
#37Allegiance coming to Broadway
Posted: 3/12/15 at 12:27am

So happy for JonJon Briones and the continued success of Miss Saigon. Saw the show last Nov and it is as amazing as the original Broadway production!! I would be so excited if Allegiance and Miss Saigon came to Broadway in the same season!!! But I will still plan my NYC trip if only Allegiance has opened! :)

Wildcard
#38Allegiance coming to Broadway
Posted: 3/12/15 at 2:09am

It would be a big improvement to the show if Leung was recast. He is completely wrong for the role

Pootie2
#39Allegiance coming to Broadway
Posted: 3/12/15 at 9:32am

What was wrong about him? Too young or? What other Asian male lead would people feel is more appropriate?

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#40Allegiance coming to Broadway
Posted: 3/12/15 at 1:22pm

Breaking News!

"Allegiance, a new American musical, set to open on Broadway next season at the Longacre Theatre (220 West 48th Street). Previews are set to begin on Tuesday, October 6, 2015 with opening night set for Sunday, November 8, 2015."
Tony Winner Lea Salonga & Telly Leung to Join George Takei in ALLEGIANCE on Broadway! Updated On: 3/12/15 at 01:22 PM

Wildcard
#41Allegiance coming to Broadway
Posted: 3/12/15 at 1:30pm

"What was wrong about him? Too young or? What other Asian male lead would people feel is more appropriate?"

The character needed to be a charismatic leader and Telly came off a little mousy, just wasn't believable for me. Of course I don't know what Paolo Montalban would have been like in the role but he might have been good in it. Then again, I believe Telly is a producer on the show so it was inevitable that he would be cast.

beautywickedlover
#42Allegiance coming to Broadway
Posted: 3/12/15 at 1:33pm

Thrilled that Lea Salonga is returning to Broadway!

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#43Allegiance coming to Broadway
Posted: 3/12/15 at 1:36pm

On social media, Adam Feldman believes that this show will make Jay Kuo only the second Asian-American writer ever to be produced on Broadway.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 3/12/15 at 01:36 PM

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#44Allegiance coming to Broadway
Posted: 3/12/15 at 1:38pm

Glad Salonga is back on Broadway and that Leung is being kept. Nothing motivates an actor to sign their contract like having an audition notice posted for their role, huh?

Updated On: 3/12/15 at 01:38 PM

jepriy Profile Photo
jepriy
#45Allegiance coming to Broadway
Posted: 3/12/15 at 1:38pm

I am so glad that this is finally coming to Broadway.

Do you know if this song is still part of the show
"Higher"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqETGgHVjnI

"dreams don't die so keep an eye on your dream" - Merrily We Roll Along

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#46Allegiance coming to Broadway
Posted: 3/12/15 at 1:39pm

I'm so excited they're all officially in the show now. Seriously, I think this score is GORGEOUS and I can't wait to especially hear Salonga belt these songs out.

Taryn Profile Photo
Taryn
#47Allegiance coming to Broadway
Posted: 3/12/15 at 1:41pm

What a sad thought, Kad. I assume the first would be David Henry Hwang. Really no one else??

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#48Allegiance coming to Broadway
Posted: 3/12/15 at 1:43pm

Yes, Hwang is the first.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#49Allegiance coming to Broadway
Posted: 3/12/15 at 2:05pm

Super dooper happy!

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt