pixeltracker

The Color Purple Announcement Today- Page 3

The Color Purple Announcement Today

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#50The Color Purple Announcement Today
Posted: 3/17/15 at 12:07am

Having seen the glorious and roundly praised London revival, I can't help but think some of this nonsense is simply racism. So be it.

What are you talking about?

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#51The Color Purple Announcement Today
Posted: 3/17/15 at 12:41am

"Having seen the glorious and roundly praised London revival, I can't help but think some of this nonsense is simply racism. So be it."

Oh, Jesus Christ. Shut your f*cking hole, you ignorant trash. I'm not excited for it because besides 1 or 2 songs, this was the worst adaptation of anything I've ever seen in my entire life.

So f*cking be it.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#52The Color Purple Announcement Today
Posted: 3/17/15 at 10:03am

Was it because I called it the "ooh, child" commercial? She is singing "ooh, child"!

sklabam
#53The Color Purple Announcement Today
Posted: 3/17/15 at 10:22am

The utter disdain some have for a purple revival. Makes no sense to me at all.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#54The Color Purple Announcement Today
Posted: 3/17/15 at 10:24am

Ooh, child.

sklabam
#55The Color Purple Announcement Today
Posted: 3/17/15 at 10:27am

those who hate the show, and the idea of a revival. In my thirty years of theatergoing I have never seen a more beloved revival than Purple at the Chocolate Factory. Why a knee jerk disdain for the show - a revival (mucho loved by Brantley)? I don't get it.

The original production got eleven Tony noms and won one for Best Actress in a Musical only.
Like the last Oscars we just waded through, the glaring racism in the process, the snarking, the attitudes are so obvious yet largely remain unspoken.

Why, in spite of Brantley, the raves, the first person accounts of "most magical night in the theater" are there still those who rant against the notion of a Purple revival. I believe it to be racism.

My three cents.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#56The Color Purple Announcement Today
Posted: 3/17/15 at 10:48am

So this thread is responsible for the lack of Tonys the original production got? And the Oscars?

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#57The Color Purple Announcement Today
Posted: 3/17/15 at 10:52am

A quick scan shows two people suggesting it's perhaps too soon for a revival; zero ranting.

Was something deleted?

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#58The Color Purple Announcement Today
Posted: 3/17/15 at 11:05am

Clearly it's a case of racism Reg.

....but the world goes 'round

followspot Profile Photo
followspot
#59The Color Purple Announcement Today
Posted: 3/17/15 at 11:12am

The utter disdain some have for a purple revival. Makes no sense to me at all.

sklabam, "utter disdain" is the standard of a small minority on these boards, for every show, every revival. You must not get around here much. Your singling out common "too soon" comments on this particular board as "racist" because the show is THE COLOR PURPLE is only showcasing your own ignorance.

"Tracy... Hold Mama's waffles."

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#60The Color Purple Announcement Today
Posted: 3/17/15 at 11:41am

WHO is showing "utter disdain" for the revival? Two people, one of whom has never liked the show to begin with (an opinion he's very much entitled to). Everyone else in this thread seems quite excited about it.

You make it sound like the response has been overwhelmingly negative- it hasn't been. Just the opposite, actually.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#61The Color Purple Announcement Today
Posted: 3/17/15 at 2:48pm

I really hate when people play the racism card. That's bull****. Sorry, when's the last time an Asian actress won an Oscar or a Tony? Or an out gay man won an Oscar? But you don't see all of us throwing our hands up and shouting racism or sexism. Calm the **** down. And the only reason "Glory" won for best song was because of white guilt. That song sucks. *drops mic*

Now, back to the thread, I'm excited! I missed the first production, and I'm excited to see one of my favorite singers on stage! I think this will be a hot ticket!

TonyaFanatic Profile Photo
TonyaFanatic
#62The Color Purple Announcement Today
Posted: 3/17/15 at 7:58pm

"Glory" does not suck...you suck. Do not belittle the accomplishments of black artists because you don't understand the expression sweetie. "White guilt"? "Racism card"? Your post is dripping with superiority and privilege. Have a seat.

That being said, I do not believe it's racism to not be excited for this revival. The musical itself is really not a very good one. I think that accounts for the lack of enthusiasm. I am actually intrigued by John Doyle's scaled-down direction, the skimming of the material, and the young lady playing Celie. I'm all for a revival of any show if it has something new or interesting to do with the source material.

"Girl, this cupcake is the jumpoff"- Adriane Lenox

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#63The Color Purple Announcement Today
Posted: 3/17/15 at 8:22pm

…Glory did suck.

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#64The Color Purple Announcement Today
Posted: 3/17/15 at 8:43pm

I have famously bad taste, but I love "Glory."

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#65The Color Purple Announcement Today
Posted: 3/17/15 at 9:08pm

^Ditto- though to be honest I wanted it to tie with Everything is Awesome.

Regardless, I don't know what the merits of Glory have to do with a revival of The Color Purple (which really is a terrible musical).

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

TonyaFanatic
#66The Color Purple Announcement Today
Posted: 3/18/15 at 12:01am

Explain to me exactly how "Glory" sucks. I bet not one of you can with any iota of objectivity. The hate is so real. "Everything is Awesome"? Really? The lyric, "One day/When the Glory comes/It will be ours/It will be ours.." is more powerful, socially relevant, and profound than most lyrics in pretty much the whole Hot 100. Black expression is here to stay guys! Get over it and give it the respect it's due.

GreasedLightning
#67The Color Purple Announcement Today
Posted: 3/18/15 at 12:17am

Woah, woah, woah. NOBODY has said ANYTHING negative regarding expression or anything of the sort. So climb down off of your soapbox and please reconsider your assumption that that is what we mean.

On the topic of Glory, however… in MY OPINION - the song was poorly produced and I'm not a fan. That's all I meant by that. But hey - it won an Oscar - so ignore my humble opinion.

And FYI - I think Everything is Awesome also sucks.

Updated On: 3/18/15 at 12:17 AM

TonyaFanatic
#68The Color Purple Announcement Today
Posted: 3/18/15 at 12:30am

Well, it's my "opinion" that your "opinion" stems from the ideology that black expression (Hip-Hop music, R&B, Soul and other genres) is generally inferior music that doesn't require much prowess to compose. Poorly produced how? Do you even know how a hip-hop song is supposed to sound? Do you even know who produced it? I very much doubt it...

GreasedLightning
#69The Color Purple Announcement Today
Posted: 3/18/15 at 12:51am

Do YOU know what makes a record produced well vs. poorly? "I very much doubt it."

(BTW - it's produced by Legend himself and was put out on Columbia Records).

Don't raise your nose at me. I won't get into the various reasons why I think the track was not worthy of the praise - reasons that DO NOT INCLUDE my "opinion against black expression."

And just so we're clear: I never, ever, ever let off that I think hip-hop, R&B or soul are inferior genres of music; in fact I'd consider them some of my favorites. I've been a fan of Common's for years.

Updated On: 3/18/15 at 12:51 AM

TonyaFanatic
#70The Color Purple Announcement Today
Posted: 3/18/15 at 2:07am

....yea ok. I guess some of your best friends are black too right?

Updated On: 3/18/15 at 02:07 AM

GreasedLightning
#71The Color Purple Announcement Today
Posted: 3/18/15 at 2:25am

No, but my girlfriend is.

Please step off.

RW3
#72The Color Purple Announcement Today
Posted: 6/17/15 at 5:47pm

1st press day video

http://www.playbill.com/multimedia/video/powerful-and-timeless-jennifer-hudson-cynthia-erivo-and-danielle-brooks-talk-the-color-purple-351564#.VYHotB4JVr4.twitter

ChiTheaterFan
#73The Color Purple Announcement Today
Posted: 6/17/15 at 6:09pm

Took me awhile to place it but Danielle Brooks is on Orange is the new Black! I bet she'll be great.  I'm excited for this revival, although it does seem quick. I saw the tour a few years ago and it exceeded my expectations. 

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#74The Color Purple Announcement Today
Posted: 6/17/15 at 6:46pm

Just watched the montage. "Color" me there!

Just give the world Love.

Latest Posts