Fun Home Previews

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#525Fun Home Previews
Posted: 8/28/15 at 4:21pm

I certainly did not consider my arguing with Fantod about the collegiate merit of Fun Home to be taking him down a peg, or an insult, or making fun of him or his age. I assumed he would be up for debate. I just assume people are ready to throwdown.

It reminds me of a line from the ever-quotable Angels in America: "You're not even fun to make fun of, Louis. It's like throwing darts into jello."

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

FindingNamo
#526Fun Home Previews
Posted: 8/28/15 at 4:24pm

^^^ THISx3000!  

ROTFLMOWAO!!!!!!

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#527Fun Home Previews
Posted: 8/28/15 at 4:53pm

You don't grow if your thoughts and ideas aren't challenged.  Oh...and it's ok to be wrong or even simply change your mind.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#528Fun Home Previews
Posted: 8/30/15 at 11:57am

I went back last night to see it again- thank you standing room- and forgot how truly excellent this show is. I think it's so difficult to single out one specific aspect since the whole show is every artist working at the top of their game. But seeing it again, I was impressed by all the nuances in the staging. Some of the stage pictures are gorgeous. I was particularly struck last night when Roy first makes his entrance at the top of the show- the brothers disappear, leaving the two Allisons, Helen, and Bruce- all the people who will be key players in the story. Lovely.

Auggie, I also have to agree with you about that lyric in Telephone Wire. The tears always start to flow a little during Ring of Keys, but that line wrecks me every single time. On the way out a very nice lesbian couple asked me if I was ok because I was still recovering a little bit- once that lyric comes I cannot control my tears.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.
Updated On: 8/30/15 at 11:57 AM

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#529Fun Home Previews
Posted: 8/30/15 at 6:41pm

Finally caught the Broadway version of this show this afternoon thanks to the Today Tix lottery, after seeing it twice at The Public, and I love this staging so much more... Still packs such a punch, and the cast just so phenomenal...

playbill-love
#530Fun Home Previews
Posted: 8/30/15 at 10:27pm

Did anyone see Jim Stanek or Nicole Van Giesen on these past couple weeks?

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#531Fun Home Previews
Posted: 8/30/15 at 11:54pm

I'll be in New York the first week of Nov.  Fun Home is the one show I know I must see--is there much difficulty getting tickets?  Meaning--how far in advance should I start looking?  I still don't really know my schedule, so...

AEA AGMA SM
#532Fun Home Previews
Posted: 8/31/15 at 1:38am

They've been running at 100% capacity (plus standing room) since Tony nominations came out in May. I know on Thursday afternoon I was looking around to see what was available for the Friday night show (I've worked with Jim Stanek on several projects and was hoping to get to see him), and there were only a small handful of tickets available at their top price. My recommendation would be to not wait until the last minute, but you'd probably want to plan at least a few weeks in advance.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#533Fun Home Previews
Posted: 8/31/15 at 11:46am

Embarrassed to admit I'm finally seeing this show this weekend.

Yes, for the FIRST time.

#Don'tYellAtMe

dramamama611
#534Fun Home Previews
Posted: 8/31/15 at 11:48am

Hope it exceeds your expectations!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#535Fun Home Previews
Posted: 8/31/15 at 11:50am

No reason to be embarrassed, hope you have a great time... I just caught it Sunday (lottery!) and it's as magical as ever.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#536Fun Home Previews
Posted: 8/31/15 at 12:46pm

Hope you enjoy the show, PalJoey!

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Mark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
#537Fun Home Previews
Posted: 8/31/15 at 12:55pm

It wasn't sold out Sat Matinee,

My sister and I won the lottery and when we went to the box office they offered my parents two tickets at $52 each (row F 200's section). The lottery tickets were row B 100's.

Was maybe two rows in the back of 400s section empty and a few others dotted about.

The show was phenomenal. I particularly thought Emily Skeggs was the standout.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#538Fun Home Previews
Posted: 9/5/15 at 5:27pm

It far exceeded my expectations. It was deep and profound and entertaining and moving.

dramamama611
#539Fun Home Previews
Posted: 9/5/15 at 6:14pm

I'm so glad,  Joey! I tried for the lottery for the matinee, but to no avail.   Sigh.....

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#540Fun Home Previews
Posted: 9/11/15 at 3:02pm

It was great theater, glad you liked it PJ.

Stephanatic

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#541Fun Home Previews
Posted: 9/11/15 at 5:32pm

Since we're confessing tardiness, I was shamefully (10 months?) late to the glorious "On the Town," and then turned around and headed back again for one of the final two.  

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

bfreak
#542Fun Home Previews
Posted: 9/12/15 at 10:39am

I finally saw the show last night, and it is so amazing and incredible. I have not had a show where I felt the tears coming any moment in such a long time. When I got to the theatre I was initially disappointed because Syndey Lucas was out, but Gabriella Pizzolo was out of this world amazing. Michael Cerveris, Beth Malone, Judy Kuhn, Emily Skeggs and everyone in this fantastic company are really giving it their all every single day. Not one person in this show did not not do an amazing job. The story is so compelling and beautiful yet tragic that that is the real star of the show here. It deserved every single one of the Tonys it won. I sat in Row G in the odd 200s and it was such a fantastic view. I would really recommend the 200s. Everyone came out of the stage door after and signed and took pictures with everyone and were so nice. I even got to meet Michael Cerveris's dog Evangeline who was adorable and friendly with everyone. And those kids. They are the cutest and sweetest things I have ever seen. They were so much fun, and came out together. Really an awesome experience last night!