Posted: 3/29/15 at 8:04am

But to spare you what would certainly be a fruitless effort

Never stopped you before.

....but the world goes 'round

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#76Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 8:49am

After Eight, I often express dissenting views about theatre on bww (including on this thread), sometimes irreverent and extreme minority ones.

But the only time I've ever felt anything even remotely resembling abuse on bww was on a thread on another board having nothing whatsoever to do with the performing arts. And even then other posters, including some who disagreed with my opinions, stuck up for me and said I was being unfairly attacked.

I take that back. I seem to recall one time when I dissented in offering a qualified partially positive view of a revival which was widely condemned on bww and if I'm not mistaken someone said something faintly abusive about my reception of the show.

I wouldn't have been surprised if that someone was you.

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#77Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 9:01am

In A8's defense, I DID find aspects of the story repulsive, and it had nothing at all to do with Alison's coming out story. Every single scene of her coming out was beautifully observed and beautifully performed.

*************SPOILERS****************************

The character of Bruce and Michael Cerveris' riveting but horrifying portrayal of him was a really bitter pill to swallow as the story went on, and made many parts of the play something to admire rather than something to enjoy. Good God, he's a truly disturbed pedophile who emotionally abuses his wife and terrorizes his daughter (the barrettes, the manipulation over the pink party dress). The helplessness you feel as an audience member was akin to the riveting pain depicted in HOW I LEARNED TO DRIVE, and this show offered scant little catharsis at the end to mitigate against that feeling.

*******************SPOILERS OVER***************

Does that make it a bad experience? On the contrary, it made the night thrilling and adult and challenging and refreshing. However I do think folks who expect this to be a commercial success will be as disappointed as those who had the same hopes for SCOTTSBORO BOYS. What could they possibly tell the tourists at TKTS that would get them to plunk down their cash? That the costumes for "Raincoat of Love" are fun?

Updated On: 3/29/15 at 09:01 AM

JustBe23
#78Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 9:06am

After Eight, do you actually like theater? I've been reading these boards for a long time and I've never seen you post anything remotely positive about any show from any era. I can't imagine why you would continue seeing things if you're always so disappointed with them - is it just an empowering thing? Feeling like you're the only one in the world with taste? I can't understand it. You gotta know it's a lot more fun to enjoy things than it is to sh*t on them.

But on topic; saw the first preview and I was blown away. I hadn't gotten a chance to see Fun Home at the Public, so I didn't know what to expect going on, but god. So good. I'm particularly excited for this to show at the Tonys, this will find such an audience with college students and kids in their late teens.

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#79Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 9:51am

He liked the King and I

Countdown til Jordan comes on raging about how much loves me! 3..2..1...

indytallguy
#80Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 10:42am

People who want to engage in dialogue with others with different perspectives use a tone that does not automatically assert their own monolithic superiority, nor speak in bitter and dismissive tones of others' opinions. After Eight consistently does neither, so many respond accordingly.

AlanR2 Profile Photo
AlanR2
#81Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 10:46am

I am new to this board and very interested in Fun Home this weekend. How do I find discount codes that are referenced so often??
Thanks,

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#82Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 10:53am

Broadway Box (linked) is a good source for discount codes.

Fun Home at Broadway Box Updated On: 3/29/15 at 10:53 AM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#83Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 11:08am

"Is FH better than Hamilton ???"

Apples / oranges.

I personally admire Fun Home more than I love it.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

indytallguy
#84Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 11:13am

"I personally admire Fun Home more than I love it."

What do you admire most about it, Kad, and are there any changes that would make you like it (or maybe even love it) more? I am often surprised at the shows I end up loving as looking at them on paper, I would not have expected reacting so strongly to them.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#85Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 11:31am

I think it tackles themes that have gone woefully under-explored in musical theatre and does so very well. Of course, this has much to do with the source material itself (which should be essential reading for anyone queer, and really for anyone).

It does a very good job at adapting a work that doesn't cry out for adaptation. The graphic memoir really makes astounding use of that medium, to the point where a musical seems unnecessary- even if the musical is as objectively good as Fun Home.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great musical. An important and groundbreaking one. "Ring of Keys," "Days and Days," "Telephone Wire," are absolute gems. "Ring of Keys" is one of the best musical theatre songs to emerge in this century thus far.

It's just a show that, for me, is not one I would necessarily want to continually revisit, the way I could revisit shows I really love.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#86Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 11:51am

Broadway musicals have always been great at addressing exterior problems around us and cultivating those themes into fully realized profound musicals. King and I comes to mind. South Pacific also. But Broadway musicals have yet to realize internal themes of the human mind and heart. Fun Home definitely achieves this. It's everything a musical should do and address. Hopefully Fun Home will pave the way for more shows about the complex relationships of family and the human mind and heart in an accurate way. I can only think of 2 other musicals that really succeed at this at such a profound level. They are Next to Normal and Into The Woods.

Updated On: 3/29/15 at 11:51 AM

indytallguy
#87Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 11:57am

Thanks for the thoughtful reply Kad. How often we would want to revisit a show is probably one of the best metrics for loving it.

And the three songs you note are my favorites as well ... along with Maps.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#88Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 12:00pm

I do like "Maps," very much, as well! I don't think it has the emotional heft of those three I named, but it's a very good song.

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#89Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 12:11pm

Inexplicably, none of the song titles are listed in the Playbill for FUN HOME. I had to go to wikipedia to reference them in my comments above. Anyone have an idea why not?

Updated On: 3/29/15 at 12:11 PM

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#90Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 12:27pm

"But Broadway musicals have yet to realize internal themes of the human mind and heart"

Much of Broadway musical composition focuses primarily on themes of individual personality and internal conflict. Sondheim, for instance, has frequently been almost exclusively devoted to such themes.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#91Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 3:48pm

Perhaps, Someone in a Tree, they kept the song list out since they are still in flux. Maybe with the new volume of Playbill, they will include it once the show is frozen. (So nice to meet you, btw!)

Perhaps I was an easy target to love this show. I never caught it downtown, but fell in love with the recording on the first listen. I also am a strong straight ally working with many youth struggling with sexuality and acceptance.

Yes, many of Bruce's scenes are uncomfortable and troubling, but I could not help but feel HIS pain as well. How awful it must be trying to deny your true self, not to mention his perfection and control issues.

I cannot praise the staging of Fun Home more. As a director, I was fascinated to watch the blocking and stage management....all which seemed to flow without a hitch, and with the ease of a long running show. It could be a master class for "Directing In the Round". As an audience member, I truly felt like a fly on the wall, that I was watching something that wasn't really meant for me.

As I mentioned, Sydney Lucas' performance was phenomenal. She was so present, so in the moment -- I found myself watching her just to see her reactions. I don't usually enjoy children performers, finding them either over coached, unnatural or pretentious. Lucas was none of those things. I'd love for her to nab a nomination, come Tony time.

So many wonderful performances, Cevaris, Kuhn, Malone, and Colindrez (sp?) were all delivering heartfelt and multi-dimentional characters. I was less impressed with Skeggs on a whole, although her Changing My Major was phenomenal. Certainly not to say she was bad, I just didn't think she was on par with the others metioned.

As I mentioned if my previous post, I was looking around and simply cannot imagine there being a bad seat. So much thought and planning went into the set placement and blocking, it was like a love letter to "in the round" with romancing the audience so we knew we mattered.

I feel an obsession coming on. Waiting a month to see this with my 18 year old (also an advocate for LGBT rights)will fee like eternity! (

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#92Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 3:52pm

Dramamama, What acting nominations do you think FUN HOME stands a chance at getting? Would you say Judy Kuhn is lead or supporting?

Hannahbelle
#93Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 4:33pm

I am going to NYC this summer with my dad who I have a somewhat tumultuous relationship with. We are going to Something Rotten, A Curious Incident, and Aladdin, and are looking for a fourth show. I am a somewhat closeted bisexual, and don't like to talk to my dad about anything serious ever. Fun Home looks great. Do you think Fun Home would be too much to see with my dad? How serious is it?

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#94Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 5:15pm

She's above the title, but should be petitioned for featured, IMHO.

As for what other noms?
New Musical
Score
Director
Best Actor - Ceveris
Best Featured - could be multiple: Kuhn, Malone and/or Lucas

There's a lot of serious, but there are definitely lighter moments as well.

Not knowing you OR your dad makes it impossible to know if its something you could feel comfortable. If anything might open dialogue between you, it very well could be this.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
Updated On: 3/29/15 at 05:15 PM

MorningGlow2 Profile Photo
MorningGlow2
#95Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 5:18pm

@Hannahbelle Let's put it this way - you're not going to be walking out of the theater with that "that was a great fancy show" kinda feeling like you can expect with Aladdin.

It's an amazing production in every possible way. But yes it's serious. Weird, awkward, twisted, "it's complicated"-type serious. I certainly have some skeletons in my closet and boy were they were strewn across the stage and all over the seats by curtain call. I admit I was in tears and that doesn't happen often for me.

I went alone and I don't regret it. But perhaps I'll take someone with me the second time. I'll go back soon.

To each his/her own. My two cents.

PS. It's a kind of show where reading too much about it here in the forums, the soon-to-come reviews in NYT, etc won't help. I heard it was great and so I went. Like many others, I can confirm that it's amazing. It's up to you.

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#96Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 5:22pm

Hannabelle, unfortunately I'm running into the same kind of weirdness with my older brothers and sisters. I've arranged a get together that is unprecedented in our family and we're old 70-53. I'm feeling a little bitter that my family doesn't care too much to see FH. The first few times I listened to the CD I cried. That's how beautiful the music and story seemed to me.

Stephanatic

indytallguy
#97Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 5:25pm

@Hannahbelle

It is a wonderful show. Seeing it with your father will have to provoke post-show conversations given that Fun Home is about a daughter's relationship with her father and their respective sexual orientation. If that's a conversation you both will be comfortable with, the show has plenty of humorous moments that complement its dark or more emotional ones. It takes us on the rollercoaster of life and that includes both laughter and tears.

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#98Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 5:31pm

"If you can laugh, think, and cry that's a good day." It seems like FH does that in less than 2 hours.

Stephanatic

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#99Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 5:32pm

"Here, you say, it does not? On this message board? Now THAT's a good one! Have you seen the reactions ---- your OWN reactions --- to those who dare defy party doctrine with respect to certain people/shows? "

I have. I have never called someone a name because they disagreed with my take on a show. Can you say the same?

Latest Posts