Summer NYC Trip

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#1Summer NYC Trip
Posted: 4/10/15 at 10:47pm

I hate that I have to make a separate thread for this, but I have a few different questions so I did.

First, going to NYC in July (3rd week) and staying 3 nights, Tuesday-Friday.

Originally I was just gonna fit in 4 shows, but realized I might be able to fit in 6.

Question/Dilemma  1: I really did enjoy Mamma Mia the first time I saw it on Broadway and would be interested in seeing it again before it closes on a Thursday matinee, but I also kinda wanna do some city exploring and already planning on two shows the day before. Is the show worth a second go or should I just enjoy the city?

Question 2: I wanna maybe try and see Wicked on that Friday's matinee (assuming is a special summer schedule). Would I be able to see the matinee at 2 and make it to Newark for a 7:35 flight?

Question 3: I need some suggestions of must do things while there. I've done all the touristy things already like Statue of Liberty, empire state and all of that boring stuff. But, what should I do as a theatre lover and overall lover of the city? Haven't really explored the parks, so will definitely check those off my list!

Final Question: I'm planning on seeing Something Rotten and Finding Neverland, the newest shows that I have the most interest in, but I still have two more slots to fill. Leave some suggestions and if it helps, shows I loved were If/Then, Wicked, BOM, Bridges, and N2N. A great score and great performances win me over!

The question I most desperately need to know is the second one, but the others I'd also love to hear responses to! Thanks!

Edit: Would also love some great food recommandations for a slighlty picky eater and favorite foods are a good burger with fries and pizza.

Updated On: 4/10/15 at 10:47 PM

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#2Summer NYC Trip
Posted: 4/10/15 at 11:28pm

For your third question, I posted a similar thread awhile ago in the off-topic board about things to do for my trip. Sever people replied, and the responses might be helpful. I would above all recommend the Met. I've been every single time I've been to New York and it really is overwhelmingly beautiful. To see the real original masterpieces by some of the greatest artists in history is an experience that can't be replicated.

As for Mamma Mia, you said yourself you enjoyed it the first time, so only you can make that decision. 

As for other shows that you would want to see, don't miss The King and I. Gigi was good fun, too. It doesn't seem that you like more serious musicals, but personally I adored The Visit. Fun Home seems to be soliciting an extremely positive response from this board, though I personally was more reserved about it. Perhaps you can read the book on the plane.

I hope you have a wonderful time in New York.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#2Summer NYC Trip
Posted: 4/11/15 at 12:22am

I recommend you to skip Wicked and Mamma Mia and see them on tour. See On The Town and Gigi instead.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

LesWickedly
#3Summer NYC Trip
Posted: 4/11/15 at 12:41am

Thanks Fantod! And muscle, I really wouldn't even consider Wicked or Mamma Mia id it didn't fit so perfectly in my schedule! MM has a Thursday matinee (only other show that does is Phantom?) and Wicked a Friday one while I'm there. But, do you know that if I did see Wicked at 2, would I be at Newark on time for a 7:35 flight?

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#4Summer NYC Trip
Posted: 4/11/15 at 12:55am

I did love Something Rotten...so I think at least you picked one good show to see.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-
Updated On: 4/11/15 at 12:55 AM

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#5Summer NYC Trip
Posted: 4/11/15 at 1:25am

For things to do.. If you like museums, yes the Met is great but can be overwhelming. I find the MoMA a better fit for many people. It's smaller and the galleries of impressionists & post impressionists are crowd pleasers. (Also closer walk from midtown and Broadway) Personally, I still love the American Museum of Natural History (Hey, Neil deGrasse Tyson!) 

For Friday timing, I'm not so sure. You SHOULD have enough time - but you'll be hitting Friday rush hour at peak. Will you be taking a cab/uber/car direct from the theater or returning to the hotel? Other considerations are whether you'll be checking baggage and have priority for security check. Opinions from locals?

As far as show recommendations, looking at your favorites, I see that it's not all "light stuff" and I really think you should take a look at "Fun Home." Personally, I'd kick myself if I missed "The King and I" as well.

For food, where are you staying? I tend to stay midtown to be close to the shows and usually find a good corner diner/coffee shop type of place near my hotel for breakfast and quick sandwiches before shows. 

Updated On: 4/11/15 at 01:25 AM

ebontoyan
#6Summer NYC Trip
Posted: 4/11/15 at 1:34am

Also consider On the Twentieth Century.  I thought it was funny all throughout and seeing Kristin Chenoweth, Andy Karl (Rocky) and rest of cast was such a treat. Peter Gallagher is in it too but I saw the understudy who wasn't too shabby.

LesWickedly
#7Summer NYC Trip
Posted: 4/11/15 at 2:02am

Mark, Thanks so much! I am staying in the Millennium (anyone stayed there? mixed reviews on yelp) which is in the heart of Times Square. We will check our luggage there most likely and then rush to the airport, not sure quite yet how. The person I'm going with absolutely hates King and I, while I tolerate it. But Kelli is in my top three female Broadway performers and would love to see her again! Also have load of interest in Fun Home, the tip of the iceberg will be if it wins best musical!

ebon, I really wanna see it, but unless it extends, it will be closed when I get there. IF Kristin wins though, I feel it will extend. 

rob136
#8Summer NYC Trip
Posted: 4/11/15 at 2:57am

Based on your interests, don't miss A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder unless you plan to catch it on tour. It won Best New Musical last year for a reason - it's a blast!

My other recommendation would be On the Twentieth Century. Hilarious musical, fantastic score, and some really stellar acting from Peter Gallagher and Kristen Chenoweth.

I wouldn't catch Mamma Mia a second time, personally, but I also wouldn't catch it a first time. Keep in mind that it is touring right now, so you can always see it that way. It comes down to personal taste - do you prefer seeing a musical that you've already seen and liked or something new? You know what you're getting with Mamma Mia, but it's nothing new to you and frankly there are better shows running right now.

BROADWAY: The Cripple of Inishmaan, This is Our Youth, If/Then, Hedwig and the Angry Inch (x3), Cabaret (x2), The Real Thing, A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder, Chicago, Les Miserables (x2) Disgraced, Finding Neverland, On the Twentieth Century, Wolf Hall Part I, On the Town, Fun Home; TOURING: Jekyll and Hyde, The Book of Mormon; LOCAL: The Twilight Zone, Anne Boleyn, Death and the Maiden, The Lying Kind, Chorus Line, Stupid F**king Bird

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#9Summer NYC Trip
Posted: 4/11/15 at 3:01am

I know the Millennium well. It's my Broadway default.
- Be sure to allow time for checking and claiming your bags with the bell captain. It's a big hotel and there will be crowds. If you're walking from 51st and claiming bags, I'd not plan to be on the road until 5:30.
- I think you may be able to join the Copthorne/Millennium club in advance which should give you free wifi.
- For local diner breakfast, check out the Blue Flame on 44th just past 6th. 
- For transportation, I've come to rely on Dial7. Check for online coupon/discounts.

Finally, you're just across Broadway from my favorite Broadway establishment. Sardi's upstairs bar. A treasure. Yeah, the restaurant gets "mixed" reviews (although I love the stuffed cannelloni) and the recent caricatures are a travesty. But the upstairs bar rocks. Lots of great Broadway talk and perhaps the best bartenders on earth. If you haven't been, just walk in and turn to the right to go up the steps, no need to check with the Maitre 'd ...of course my profile pic might be a clue of my feelings.

Updated On: 4/11/15 at 03:01 AM

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#10Summer NYC Trip
Posted: 4/11/15 at 3:43am

Also (shut up, Mark!)
One thing I try to do if I'm in town on a Thursday is see Seth Rudetsky's Chatterbox at Don't Tell Mama. Cover (donated to BC/EFA) is something like $20. Close-up and dishy interviews and performances by some amazing talent. Right in your face. Seth keeps things moving along and you get out in time for a quick bite and that night's show.

However, he fits them in with his busy schedule (which includes lots of P-town gigs) so there may not be one your week. 

AAAND - If you like burgers and Broadway - across the street is Joe Allen. (An all-around restaurant recommendation, but burgers and lobster rolls are especially good) Home of the famous Flop Wall.

Updated On: 4/11/15 at 03:43 AM

LesWickedly
#11Summer NYC Trip
Posted: 4/11/15 at 11:23am

Could the bags possibly be checked at the Gershwin? And thanks for all your help Mark!

_IrisTInkerbell Profile Photo
_IrisTInkerbell
#12Summer NYC Trip
Posted: 4/11/15 at 1:29pm

Like the others said, keep an eye on On The 20th Century, I've heard lots of rumbling about an extension, at least through July seems pretty likely at this point.

Definitely see Finding Neverland. Saw it last night and was blown away. Haven't seen Something Rotten yet. It seems unlikely that On The Town will still be open in late July, unless they get a big boost in ticket sales from the Tony noms...

I would depend Mamma Mia vs city on the weather. I'm sure you can get last minute tickets if it either rains or gets really hot. Otherwise, spend the day outside in the park or go to the Brooklyn Zoo, which is great. Or take a stroll on the High Line.

As for food I'm no expert yet, but I've been to Tony's recently for the first time and the food was amazing since their plates are so big and they actually encourage sharing, it was pretty cheap, too. You need to book a table though, it was very crowded. Westway Diner (on 9th) is also nice, your classic dinner in terms of food and decor and very close to the theaters.

cbcgirl4life
#13Summer NYC Trip
Posted: 4/11/15 at 1:59pm

If it's still open while you're there, check out the Tony Pop Up shop. Not sure how long after the Tonys it's open, but it's fun to see all the merchandise and Tony history!

mar6411
#14Summer NYC Trip
Posted: 4/11/15 at 2:26pm

I think you are cutting it very close to try and make a flight at 7:35 at Newark. Everything would have to align perfectly and I'm not sure even then.  

I don't think you can check bags at the Gershwin and you'd have to get to the hotel and get your bags and get transportation.   It's a walk through a very crowded Times Square, there might be a line for bag check at the hotel, and you better have transportation waiting or hope you can get a cab immediately.  I have never had a fast drive out of Manhattan to any airport unless it is at the crack of dawn or really late.  And then there's the security adventure at the airport on a Friday afternoon.  

If you have to make that flight, I wouldn't chance it.  But I'm old and we old people consider all of the possibilities and weigh the consequences.  I didn't when I was younger.

As to Mamma Mia, as someone earlier said, only you can decide.  Will it make you happy?  Does your gut tell you yes?  Then yes.  Forget all the reasons why not.  But only you can know that.

Have a great trip!

FishermanBob Profile Photo
FishermanBob
#15Summer NYC Trip
Posted: 4/11/15 at 4:22pm

I would agree with Mar6411 that you are cutting it extremely close and everything would have to go perfectly and even then, it's a stretch.  I also would never under any circumstances, choose to leave the city by car and try to get through the tunnel to New Jersey at the height of Friday rush hour traffic before a summer weekend if I was on a tight schedule.  My choice would be to get to Penn Station at 34th and take a New Jersey transit commuter train (which leaves every 20 minutes) to the Newark Airport station and take the air train ride from there to the terminals.  The train ride is 25 minutes and the air train another 12-15 or so depending on which terminal you are leaving from.  It also costs $12.50 a person versus what a limo or car would cost you which when tip and tolls are included would probably be north of $70.  Your hotel would be about 10 blocks from the station and you can either walk straight down 7th Ave. as they are relatively short blocks and enter at Madison Square Garden or take the subway 1 stop.  I would suggest you would need to make at the latest, a 5:30 NJT departure to give yourself a little over an hour once you arrive at the terminal to get through security and get to your gate.  But again, you're cutting it extremely close.

Updated On: 4/11/15 at 04:22 PM