pixeltracker

FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews- Page 2

FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#25FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/15/15 at 8:31pm

Don't be surprised if ya see that first line as a pull-quote.

The twitter page just tweeted it!

Mattbrain
#26FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/15/15 at 8:34pm

^ Bahahaha!!!!! Love it!!!

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#27FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/15/15 at 8:38pm

Hollywood Reporter is negative.

...there's nonetheless no convincing argument here that a Finding Neverland musical was ever an artistically valid idea.

Hollywood Reporter

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

mikey2573
#28FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/15/15 at 8:47pm

"Hollywood Reporter is negative.
...there's nonetheless no convincing argument here that a Finding Neverland musical was ever an artistically valid idea.
Hollywood Reporter"

I may have to see this now, if only to find out what "grim Edwardian twerking" looks like. 

JaglinSays
#29FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/15/15 at 8:49pm

A turd is a turd is a turd.

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#30FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/15/15 at 8:51pm

The Hollywood reporter review just screams bitter Harvey hate.

Countdown til Jordan comes on raging about how much loves me! 3..2..1...

Mattbrain
#31FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/15/15 at 8:58pm

Positive from The Huffington Post:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/alexandra-villarreal/finding-neverland-its-tim_b_7074724.html

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

rocker05
#32FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/15/15 at 8:59pm

I completely agree with The Hollywood Reporter review. In my opinion, the show is a chore to sit through. This show is most likely critic-proof though.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#33FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/15/15 at 8:59pm

"AP review "not good"?  Are you kidding me?  That review is positively BRIMMING with great pull quotes: 

"A celebration of imagination!" 
"Pleasing spectacle!" 
The cast is "first rate"! 
"Absolutely thrilling!" 
"Pure understated brilliance!" 
"The music and lyrics....lean on soaring pop melodies and lilting Irish folk."
Kelsey Grammer is a "glorious scene-stealer!" 
"Choreographer Mia Michaels' work here is exciting."
You can't BUY a review like that."

You seem to be confusing the actual review with the pull quotes. A review can be mixed or negative and still have a few pull quotes, that doesn't make it a good review. And while the team behind this show can certainly get some leverage something, I'm sure they would have preferred an actual positive review.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

getatme
#34FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/15/15 at 9:03pm

Hollywood a Reporter review seems like Harvey hate? They didn't really mention I'm until the end. Seems more like the reviewer genuinely had problems with the actual text of the show. 

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#35FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/15/15 at 9:03pm

I remember hearing how a lot of the critics who really trashed the 2007 revival of Grease felt angered by the producers for finding pull-quotes in their reviews out-of-context in order to make them read like raves.

Mattbrain
#36FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/15/15 at 9:05pm

That's because they put up a whole poster of pull quotes saying "The one that I want!"

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#37FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/15/15 at 9:06pm

So far, worse than "Gigi" and "It Shoulda Been You."  What a strange season.  My guess is: "Neverland" will still be here after Labor Day.  With the others?

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

Mattbrain
#38FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/15/15 at 9:11pm

Worse than Gigi? As I recall, people were saying how Gigi could barely get any pull quotes out of the reviews it got.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#39FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/15/15 at 9:16pm

I spoke too soon, no doubt. And "Gigi" pulled an acceptable bundle (considering) during Rolling Spring Break.  But the negatives for "Neverland" have been surprisingly harsh, not merely meh.  Is it critic-proof?  Maybe.  Probably. I see pull-quotes in some of these second-string reviews, if they matter.  It won't be hard to find some version of "magic" in every line that can be put on a poster.  

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

Mattbrain
#40FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/15/15 at 9:23pm

I'll give you this, I was not expecting love letters. But my personal opinion of the show aside, looking at the grosses and capacity it was playing throughout previews, I'm going to wager that this show will be stickin' around for a while.

Up In One Profile Photo
Up In One
#41FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/15/15 at 9:33pm

Who is the reviewer for Huff Post?  Is that just a random reader's post? Or is she the named reviewer?  We need a "top critics" list like Rottten Tomatoes features to put some perspective around these reviews.

Up In One

ceisen
#42FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/15/15 at 9:41pm

New York Magazine is very negative. Praise for Matthew, but not much else.

Here's a quote from New York Magazine:

"I'm not sure which problem - historical or musical - is worse; the two are intertwined. Part of what makes the show so frustrating as entertainment is its utter falseness, only some of it grandfathered in."

USA Today is also negative.

ceisen
#43FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/15/15 at 9:43pm

A quote from USA Today:

"For a show about releasing the imagination, the musical is surprisingly conventional -- a down-the-middle family entertainment with excellent actors, including Matthew Morrison as Barrie and Kelsey Grammer as his crusty producer, as well as sturdy storytelling that recreates the movie with dogged fidelity. Directed by Diane Paulus, who exploded "Pippin" with astonishing circus spectacle, the production has a low-wattage wow factor that, though admirably true to the Edwardian period, mostly misses the chance to transform the fantasies in Barrie's mind with 21st century magic."

Tigger Profile Photo
Tigger
#44FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/15/15 at 9:47pm

I completely agree. Of all the shows I sat through last weekend this one was the worst. Just a big  load of sentimental musically absent charmless tripe.

A major disappointment with one very good special effect, a mugging hambone performance by Kelsey Grammer and an earnest one by a defeated Matthew Morrison.

"Extraordinary how potent cheap music is..." Noel Coward-Private Lives

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#45FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/15/15 at 9:54pm

The criticisms don't read like they would have been fixed if the play had Jeremy Jordan instead of Matthew Morrison.  

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#46FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/15/15 at 10:02pm

Not sure if the review from "The Wrap" got posted...

http://www.thewrap.com/finding-neverland-theater-review-matthew-morrison-turns-his-broadway-return-into-pure-childs-play/

Up In One Profile Photo
Up In One
Mattbrain
#48FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/15/15 at 10:13pm

I've seen Vincentelli in interviews, I'm not at all surprised by that review.

Mattbrain
#49FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/15/15 at 10:13pm

I've seen Vincentelli in interviews, I'm not at all surprised by that review.

Videos