pixeltracker

Its Official, Second Stage has closed on the Helen Hayes- Page 2

Its Official, Second Stage has closed on the Helen Hayes

Hackasaurus_Rex Profile Photo
Hackasaurus_Rex
#25Its Official, Second Stage has closed on the Helen Hayes
Posted: 4/18/15 at 6:02pm

Hogan, I would say it's hard to argue that a show with multiple Tony noms, great reviews, while generating Broadway audiences long enough to be the 27th longest running show in Bway history doesn't belong on Bway. But clearly you are speaking to your own personal tastes. I feel the only thing that can dictate whether a show "should" be on Bway or not is if that Bway audience shows up and pays for the privilage. 

Updated On: 4/18/15 at 06:02 PM

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#26Its Official, Second Stage has closed on the Helen Hayes
Posted: 4/18/15 at 6:22pm

Didn't second stage sell their main performance space to the shuberts? So is this them trying to make a comeback?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#27Its Official, Second Stage has closed on the Helen Hayes
Posted: 4/18/15 at 7:06pm

^ The Shuberts bought New World Stages, not 2nd Stage.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#28Its Official, Second Stage has closed on the Helen Hayes
Posted: 4/18/15 at 8:10pm

yes. hack. it's like the should win/will win dichotomy in award predictions

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#29Its Official, Second Stage has closed on the Helen Hayes
Posted: 4/18/15 at 10:01pm

All I can think about with this sale is how small shows, one-person or whatever, won't have a Broadway space anymore. Where on Broadway can one now afford to transfer a Torch Song Trilogy, a Bridge & Tunnel, a Next Fall, or a Golda's Balcony? We really need someone to create their own independent Broadway venue to take its place, without worrying about having to pay Shubert rates (a la Little Shubert).

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#30Its Official, Second Stage has closed on the Helen Hayes
Posted: 4/19/15 at 3:42am

what do you mean by "Shubert rates?" They charge more for rent than other theatre owners?

I agree they should build more theaters. Its pretty amazing how many shows are trying to come in. I know a lot of shows close and lose money, but I honestly think Broadway is thriving right now. Its exciting how many shows want to come to Broadway. 

Someone needs to buy the Times Square Church and make that into a Broadway house again!!

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#31Its Official, Second Stage has closed on the Helen Hayes
Posted: 4/19/15 at 7:27am

Aren't The British/American ATG buying real estate to turn back into a theatre?

Surprised that Rock of Ages never went back to off Broadway.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#32Its Official, Second Stage has closed on the Helen Hayes
Posted: 4/19/15 at 10:03am

I saw "Torch Song Trilogy" there and that was incredible but that was many years ago -lol.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#33Its Official, Second Stage has closed on the Helen Hayes
Posted: 4/19/15 at 12:34pm

Pinto-

re Shubert rates: the post to which you replied was mixing apples and oranges, talking about the Little Shubert, an off-B house, in the context of Broadway theatres. the Little S is more expensive to do a show in because of the union contracts in place at the venue. Broadway rents are mostly revenue driven, and the same. Fixed rents vary by venue because of size and related considerations but they are not a significant part of the expenses of a show (unless it has no revenue).

re new theatres: it is a 2 edged sword because of supply and demand: there are times when everything is full but there are also times when there is a lot empty, and for long periods. Adding to supply exacerbates that. The landlords do not generally think they would benefit from more supply, and it is hard to identify viable shows that do not find theatres. Name one.

The Times Square Church is not for sale. To buy something requires not just a  buyer but also a seller.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#34Its Official, Second Stage has closed on the Helen Hayes
Posted: 4/19/15 at 11:22pm

A pity as it is an absolutely gorgeous theater that started out as vaudeville venue and ended with Legs Diamond.

Poster Emeritus

bandit964 Profile Photo
bandit964
#35Its Official, Second Stage has closed on the Helen Hayes
Posted: 5/12/15 at 10:15am

Went past yesterday and saw a marquee up, advertising 2nd Stage. http://2stonbroadway.com/ (Still trying to get the pictures up to some site so I can transfer them onto here)

Updated On: 5/12/15 at 10:15 AM

bandit964 Profile Photo
bandit964
 Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#37Its Official, Second Stage has closed on the Helen Hayes
Posted: 5/12/15 at 11:38am

Do you all remember that Cubby Bernstein video series? That had some good shots of the interior of the Helen Hayes.

Count me among those who wish that Times Square Church could sell the place and it can become a glorious Broadway theater again.

Jonwo
#38Its Official, Second Stage has closed on the Helen Hayes
Posted: 5/12/15 at 12:22pm

The Ambassador Theatre Group is looking to purchase the Hudson and possibly the Times Square Theatre but I imagine for the Time Square Church to give up that venue would requires lots of money and they've down offers in the past.

skies Profile Photo
skies
#39Its Official, Second Stage has closed on the Helen Hayes
Posted: 5/12/15 at 12:23pm

I second those who lament the renaming of the Helen Hayes, she's as towering a figure of American theatre as anyone in the last 100 years.

"when I’m on stage I see the abyss and have to overcome it by telling myself it’s only a play." - Helen Mirren