pixeltracker

Who Will Be Nominated?! Broadway.com Ranks the 2015 Tony Contenders- Page 2

Who Will Be Nominated?! Broadway.com Ranks the 2015 Tony Contenders

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#25Who Will Be Nominated?! Broadway.com Ranks the 2015 Tony Contenders
Posted: 4/24/15 at 3:11pm

"LOL if anything BWW is waaaay more about gossip than Broadway.com. Broadway.com only posts things when they are official."

This would be true if Broadway.com were an actual news source. Their information is nearly always inaccurate or with missing pieces, and their homepage is filled with vlogs and polls. 

BroadwayWorld and Playbill are much more reliable news sources, in my opinion.

The message boards have gossip sure, but in terms of which site is more credible… "lol" 

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#26Who Will Be Nominated?! Broadway.com Ranks the 2015 Tony Contenders
Posted: 4/24/15 at 3:13pm

bdn223, I think they actually like Finding Neverland though. If you watch their Periscopes, they don't really agree with the critics. Something Rotten and Finding Neverland both were panned by the times, and the people of broadway.com were upset by the reviews, and said to not listen to them. On the other hand, when they don't like a show, they don't really say anything lol. They all seem really honest to me

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#27Who Will Be Nominated?! Broadway.com Ranks the 2015 Tony Contenders
Posted: 4/24/15 at 3:13pm

"Your opinion, obviously. You'll see on Tuesday. "

It really doesn't matter. My opinion doesn't matter, and neither do the Tony Awards. If Sting cops a nomination, more power to him. 

Phillypinto
#28Who Will Be Nominated?! Broadway.com Ranks the 2015 Tony Contenders
Posted: 4/24/15 at 3:15pm

"Just because a song tells a story, doesn't mean it's a theater song."

I always thought this was BS. People are saying the same thing about Finding Neverland. I would rather listen to a great song with a great tune that only tells the story a little bit, than listen to a boring overcrowded song that moves the story a lot. The best scores are able to move the story with great music, which is why I love the Kinky Boots score so much.

Updated On: 4/24/15 at 03:15 PM

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#29Who Will Be Nominated?! Broadway.com Ranks the 2015 Tony Contenders
Posted: 4/24/15 at 3:15pm

I love that everyone is debating Honeymoon vs. Last Ship.  I honestly wouldn't be shocked if the 4th slot for Score (after Something Rotten, Fun Home, and The Visit) goes to It Shoulda Been You.  The show is still open (which doesn't count for everything, I know... but it helps), and the songs, while derivative, are cute.

Updated On: 4/24/15 at 03:15 PM

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#30Who Will Be Nominated?! Broadway.com Ranks the 2015 Tony Contenders
Posted: 4/24/15 at 3:17pm

You very well may be right, bjh2114. That hadn't occurred to me, but it's a possibility. 

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#31Who Will Be Nominated?! Broadway.com Ranks the 2015 Tony Contenders
Posted: 4/24/15 at 3:19pm

You're forgetting Dr. Zhivago, guys.

….kidding. :) 

No but really, as much as I am crossing my fingers for TLS... I could see (and justify) it going to It Shoulda Been You if only for the fact that it's still running. 

Updated On: 4/24/15 at 03:19 PM

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#32Who Will Be Nominated?! Broadway.com Ranks the 2015 Tony Contenders
Posted: 4/24/15 at 3:21pm

"At least BWW has Richard Ridge."

I hope this is sarcasm. Richard Ridge is equally, if not more, annoying as Paul Wontorek from Broadway.com. We need new 'reporters' on all these sites who aren't just fangirls. 

Phillypinto
#33Who Will Be Nominated?! Broadway.com Ranks the 2015 Tony Contenders
Posted: 4/24/15 at 3:24pm

""At least BWW has Richard Ridge."
I hope this is sarcasm. Richard Ridge is equally, if not more, annoying as Paul Wontorek from Broadway.com. We need new 'reporters' on all these sites who aren't just fangirls. "

YES TOTALLY AGREE!! They both just try to have casual conversations with the people instead of asking them real questions. Thats why I like it when Lindsay or Immogen or Beth from Broadway.com do opening nights.

Phillypinto
#34Who Will Be Nominated?! Broadway.com Ranks the 2015 Tony Contenders
Posted: 4/24/15 at 3:27pm

I can totally see It Shoulda Been You getting nominated for leading actress (Lisa), featured actress (Tyne), and book, and score. I hope this show isn't overlooked just because it isn't as big and flashy as Something Rotten or Finding Neverland. The last slot will probably go to Sting or JRB

MayAudraBlessYou2 Profile Photo
MayAudraBlessYou2
#35Who Will Be Nominated?! Broadway.com Ranks the 2015 Tony Contenders
Posted: 4/24/15 at 3:33pm

Philly, Broadway.com essentially exists as a big advertisement for Broadway. They will always be mad when something is panned, because they dont talk poorly about anything. The site is about driving ticket sales (which is why half the site is dedicated to buying tickets, with the most astronomical fees on earth).  While Wontorek is an insider who often gets scoops and good interviews, the site talks highly of every show no matter what. 

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#36Who Will Be Nominated?! Broadway.com Ranks the 2015 Tony Contenders
Posted: 4/24/15 at 3:37pm

Okay, the guy may gush a little bit, but I don't find Ridge as annoying as Wontorek. I think his enthusiasm is way more genuine than Wontorek's, who seems to always be caught up in the latest fad.

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#37Who Will Be Nominated?! Broadway.com Ranks the 2015 Tony Contenders
Posted: 4/24/15 at 3:39pm

"I would rather listen to a great song with a great tune that only tells the story a little bit, than listen to a boring overcrowded song that moves the story a lot. The best scores are able to move the story with great music, which is why I love the Kinky Boots score so much."

I actually agree with this. A main reason to see a musical is to hear lush, wonderful music, not a boring, tuneless rhythm with lyrics that push the story forward. By that point, it feels more like I'm watching a straight play.

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

matildathemiracle2 Profile Photo
matildathemiracle2
#38Who Will Be Nominated?! Broadway.com Ranks the 2015 Tony Contenders
Posted: 4/24/15 at 3:44pm

To me, Broadway.com has always been a website for somebody who may not know too much about Broadway. When they do the weekly grosses, they spell everything out simply and don't even include all information about each show. Their tickets are extremely expensive because of their fees that know person familiar with Broadway and discounts would purchase them. Their opening videos are chopped up and maybe share one answer from each actor. BWW and Playbill may not be as organized, but their videos are informative and longer and their answers don't ask such "fluffy" questions.

Phillypinto
#39Who Will Be Nominated?! Broadway.com Ranks the 2015 Tony Contenders
Posted: 4/24/15 at 3:51pm

"While Wontorek is an insider who often gets scoops and good interviews, the site talks highly of every show no matter what. "

Thats really not true. The interviews are pretty honest about shows, good or bad. And if you watch them on periscope, they are honest with their stuff. I have also heard them say negative things as well. BWW is the same way, but if anything Richard Ridge seems to glaze things more than Paul!

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#40Who Will Be Nominated?! Broadway.com Ranks the 2015 Tony Contenders
Posted: 4/24/15 at 3:58pm

Wantorek has never been shy about favoring people in the Broadway community he wants to be friends with.  Such a fan girl.  Richard Ridge at least knows his theatrical history without needing a team to gather info for him.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#41Who Will Be Nominated?! Broadway.com Ranks the 2015 Tony Contenders
Posted: 4/24/15 at 3:59pm

"Wantorek has never been shy about favoring people in the Broadway community he wants to be friends with.  Such a fan girl.  Richard Ridge at least knows his theatrical history without needing a team to gather info for him."

My thoughts exactly. That's what I meant by Wontorek always seeming to be caught up in the latest fad. 

Updated On: 4/24/15 at 03:59 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#42Who Will Be Nominated?! Broadway.com Ranks the 2015 Tony Contenders
Posted: 4/24/15 at 4:19pm

Broadway.com is first and foremost a sales site. End of story.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#43Who Will Be Nominated?! Broadway.com Ranks the 2015 Tony Contenders
Posted: 4/24/15 at 4:30pm

Then why are they still trying to sell HOLLER IF YA HEAR ME? Who Will Be Nominated?! Broadway.com Ranks the 2015 Tony Contenders 

Updated On: 4/24/15 at 04:30 PM

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#44Who Will Be Nominated?! Broadway.com Ranks the 2015 Tony Contenders
Posted: 4/24/15 at 4:38pm

^I'm sure they were probably fans of Holler, and that they personally feel that it deserves some acknowledgement. Don't hate the Broadway.com staff for that, it's just their personal opinion(s).

Phillypinto
#45Who Will Be Nominated?! Broadway.com Ranks the 2015 Tony Contenders
Posted: 4/24/15 at 4:39pm

"Broadway.com is first and foremost a sales site. End of story. "

nobody said differently lol

team elphie
#46Who Will Be Nominated?! Broadway.com Ranks the 2015 Tony Contenders
Posted: 4/24/15 at 5:19pm

BWW most certainly contains much more information and news updates, but I like the formatting of broadway.com much better. Maybe it's just me, but it's more pleasant to look at. However, content is more important, in which BWW wins by far

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#48Who Will Be Nominated?! Broadway.com Ranks the 2015 Tony Contenders
Posted: 4/25/15 at 10:24am

"Then why are they still trying to sell HOLLER IF YA HEAR ME? Who Will Be Nominated?! Broadway.com Ranks the 2015 Tony Contenders "

I never said they were a good sales site...

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

_IrisTInkerbell Profile Photo
_IrisTInkerbell
#49Who Will Be Nominated?! Broadway.com Ranks the 2015 Tony Contenders
Posted: 4/25/15 at 1:12pm

Lets just agree that those websites have different angles and different readers prefer different angles.

Personally, I just *love* theater and I don't like to critic it and pick out all the pieces that didn't work. I just like to sit and enjoy a show even if it's not perfect.

And I feel like Broadway.com is the same. There is a reason they don't do reviews of shows. They report the news and the fangirl and I like it. They also get a lot of inside scoop and vlogs and stuff which is a lot of fun.

BWW does their on reviews and, they are more critical, and they report way more minor "news" than the other websites, sometimes more in depth and more detailed, sometimes gossip.

I'm not really sure what characterizes Playbill lol

At the end of the day I follow and read all three because they offer different things.