pixeltracker

Rant about the 2015 TONY NOMINATIONS here- Page 5

Rant about the 2015 TONY NOMINATIONS here

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#100Rant about the 2015 TONY NOMINATIONS here
Posted: 4/28/15 at 9:32am

Besides Finding Neverland being completely shut out, I am actually pretty happy with the nominees this year! Way better than last season!

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

rob136
#101Rant about the 2015 TONY NOMINATIONS here
Posted: 4/28/15 at 9:35am

I didn't go to many of the play revivals this year, but how on earth did This is Our Youth get nominated? Was it just a weak year? When I went, the performance was decent, but certainly nothing to write home about.

Finding Neverland getting entirely snubbed is a bit unfortunate. I have to imagine that if the producer was different, it would have gotten something, but I suppose that's what happens when a producer antagonizes the entire theatre community. I enjoyed the show quite a bit, even if it did have its flaws.

And lastly, no Bryce Pinkham is disappointing, but he had stiff competition, so it's understandable.

BROADWAY: The Cripple of Inishmaan, This is Our Youth, If/Then, Hedwig and the Angry Inch (x3), Cabaret (x2), The Real Thing, A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder, Chicago, Les Miserables (x2) Disgraced, Finding Neverland, On the Twentieth Century, Wolf Hall Part I, On the Town, Fun Home; TOURING: Jekyll and Hyde, The Book of Mormon; LOCAL: The Twilight Zone, Anne Boleyn, Death and the Maiden, The Lying Kind, Chorus Line, Stupid F**king Bird

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#102Rant about the 2015 TONY NOMINATIONS here
Posted: 4/28/15 at 9:36am

FINDING NEVERLAND was not snubbed because of Jordan, it was snubbed because it's crap AND Weinstein is a jerk.  And Dramamamama, go read Jordan's interview about NEVERLAND. He definitely thought and hoped he would move with the show. He wanted it in his contract but Harvey said no, but he still believed it could happen.  (Jeremy's voodoo doll on Matthew did work)

I think this is a good (and safe) TONY list.  I only wish Nancy Opel would have been recognized but the FUN HOME love did her in. And to those who said Watanabe would NOT be nominated, you can apologize later.

Chita for the Win.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#103Rant about the 2015 TONY NOMINATIONS here
Posted: 4/28/15 at 9:37am

I'm such a geek.  I actually shed a tear when all three eligible women were nominated for Fun Home.   I didn't expect to see Skeggs' name.  (I had originally said that aside from Changing My Major, I wasn't terribly impressed with her.  However, I saw the show a second time last week, and was far more taken with her the second time.)

I'd be thrilled for either Lucas or Kuhn or take the win, but am truly rooting for Lucas.  That girl is better than any "tween" has the right to be!   

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Liza's Headband
#104Rant about the 2015 TONY NOMINATIONS here
Posted: 4/28/15 at 9:39am

If Honeymoon in Vegas just stayed open 3 more weeks, these nominations would have been completely different

You're the biggest f*cking idiot I've ever encountered on the internet.... And that is saying a lot. 

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#105Rant about the 2015 TONY NOMINATIONS here
Posted: 4/28/15 at 9:40am

"I didn't go to many of the play revivals this year, but how on earth did This is Our Youth get nominated? Was it just a weak year? When I went, the performance was decent, but certainly nothing to write home about."

I didn't see This Is Our Youth, but I think most were predicting The Heidi Chronicles to round out the Best Revival category.

JMPlayer6 Profile Photo
JMPlayer6
#106Rant about the 2015 TONY NOMINATIONS here
Posted: 4/28/15 at 9:40am

I did not expect "Finding Neverland" to get many nominations, nor anything much in the way of the major categories, but zero? That did surprise me.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#107Rant about the 2015 TONY NOMINATIONS here
Posted: 4/28/15 at 9:42am

I really don't have anything to rant about- everything about these nominations seems perfectly right. My only slight disappointments are about Best Set Design for Hand to God and John Cariani, who I didn't expect to be nominated but gave the standout performance in Something Rotten! for me.

Still, I'm really happy with these nominations, especially for Geneva Carr and all the Fun Home nods! 

Also, how brilliant is it that Weinstein sent out that ridiculous letter about the importance of Peter Pan only to get totally snubbed?

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.
Updated On: 4/28/15 at 09:42 AM

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#108Rant about the 2015 TONY NOMINATIONS here
Posted: 4/28/15 at 9:42am

I'm really hoping for Kuhn, but I think Lucas is going to win.

....but the world goes 'round

dramamama611
#109Rant about the 2015 TONY NOMINATIONS here
Posted: 4/28/15 at 9:43am

"FINDING NEVERLAND was not snubbed because of Jordan, it was snubbed because it's crap AND Weinstein is a jerk.  And Dramamamama, go read Jordan's interview about NEVERLAND. He definitely thought and hoped he would move with the show. He wanted it in his contract but Harvey said no, but he still believed it could happen.  (Jeremy's voodoo doll on Matthew did work)
I think this is a good (and safe) TONY list.  I only wish Nancy Opel would have been recognized but the FUN HOME love did her in. And to those who said Watanabe would NOT be nominated, you can apologize later.
Chita for the Win."

I didn't mean to imply that it was public knowledge that they wanted Morrison, but they did.    I know Jordan wasn't made aware of it. 

Point is: THAT isn't even close to the reason the show was snubbed.  

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#110Rant about the 2015 TONY NOMINATIONS here
Posted: 4/28/15 at 9:44am

where is this jeremy jordan interview?

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

bigbelterbaby
#111Rant about the 2015 TONY NOMINATIONS here
Posted: 4/28/15 at 9:44am

I wish Renee Fleming would have gotten in over Elisabeth Moss. (both big "stars" )

I wish Stockard Channing would have gotten in over Julie White. (both veterans)

I wish Nancy Opel would have gotten in over Victoria Clark. (both veterans)

I wish Heidi Blickenstaff would have gotten in over Emily Skeggs. (Heidi paid her dues and is in a hit show)

I wish Francesca Faridany would have gotten in over Sarah Stiles. (Francesca paid her dues and Sarah Stiles is annoying, I thought she was awful in into the Woods)

other than that I'm good.

Hesione Hushabye thinks it tastes like ashes.
Updated On: 4/28/15 at 09:44 AM

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#112Rant about the 2015 TONY NOMINATIONS here
Posted: 4/28/15 at 9:45am

I'm so happy with these nominations! Best they've been in years.

THRILLED for the Skylight and Wolf Hall love- easily two of the best productions of the season.  Also happy for the cast of Hand to God and the Curious Incident production.

All the FH acting nominations had me screaming.  Each and every one of them deserved the recognition and now it's time to start hoping for the first ever three-way tie! 

Happy for the love shown to The Visit, though it's a shame it didn't get a set nom. 

The only person I feel was truly "snubbed" was Bryce Pinkham. He did phenomenal work and I feel really deserved a spot.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

dramamama611
#113Rant about the 2015 TONY NOMINATIONS here

Right, because only shows that are still open got nominated this year.   

aj88
#114Rant about the 2015 TONY NOMINATIONS here

Saddened about Side Show getting shut out completely and no nomination for either Alysha Umphress or Elizabeth Stanley.

The list of the shut-out shows is insane this year! Two of the biggest attended shows: Finding Neverland and Fish in The Dark? ZERO! It's Only a Play coming in with only one nomination.

I am sure Harvey Weinstein is preparing to force himself onto the Tonys anyway.

SO EXCITED to see Geneva Carr get in like she deserved. I left the show being wowed as expected by Boyer/cast/everything in general but Carr left a huge impression and her nomination is more than deserved.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#115Rant about the 2015 TONY NOMINATIONS here
Posted: 4/28/15 at 9:46am

I wish Nancy Opel would have gotten in over Victoria Clark. (both veterans)

Me too.

Opel is always wonderful. And usually forgotten which is a true shame.

....but the world goes 'round

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#116Rant about the 2015 TONY NOMINATIONS here
Posted: 4/28/15 at 9:46am

Wow 13 goose eggs.  That's a lot.

I actually don't have too many quibbles.  Bryce Pinkham should have been nominated over Micah Stock.  And I would have liked to have seen Elephant Man get a little more love in terms of design nominations and direction.  Strangely, I predicted all of the Director of a Play nominees correctly, but I pegged Daldry for The Audience (not Skylight) and Ellis for The Elephant Man (not You Can't Take It With You).

Thrilled for Matthew Beard though as well as the Curious Incident choreography nod.

Liza's Headband
#117Rant about the 2015 TONY NOMINATIONS here
Posted: 4/28/15 at 9:48am

Each and every one of them deserved the recognition and now it's time to start hoping for the first ever three-way tie!

It will have the opposite effect, actually. It most likely ensures that none of the three women win because the votes will be split and spread out thus allowing someone else to sneak in. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#118Rant about the 2015 TONY NOMINATIONS here
Posted: 4/28/15 at 9:51am

I don't think the Fun Home ladies will split the vote. It's still between Kuhn and Lucas, with a "lucky to be here" nod for Skeggs.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

mamaleh
#119Rant about the 2015 TONY NOMINATIONS here
Posted: 4/28/15 at 9:54am

Would like to have seen Alysha Umphress, Lisa Howard, Michael Esper and Hugh Jackman nominated, but I realize there is room for only so many nominees.  So it goes.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#120Rant about the 2015 TONY NOMINATIONS here
Posted: 4/28/15 at 9:55am

For what it's worth, Skeggs was my favorite of the 3 in the most thankless role.  In fact, my 3 favorites in the show were Skeggs, Malone, and Roberta Colindrez.  I love Judy Kuhn, but I wasn't blown away by her work here.  And I just DON'T get the obsession with Sydney Lucas.  She's cute, sure.  But I hardly think her performance is Tony worthy.

Needless to say, I'm happy to see Skeggs get the nomination.

dramamama611
#121Rant about the 2015 TONY NOMINATIONS here
Posted: 4/28/15 at 9:56am

While I agree that Skeggs won't likely make an impact on the voting: I could see a big divide between Kuhn and Lucas.   

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#122Rant about the 2015 TONY NOMINATIONS here
Posted: 4/28/15 at 9:57am

After the nominations, I'm now wondering if An American in Paris is the spoiler to Fun Home rather than Something Rotten!. Based on nomination count alone, those two are the frontrunners. I think Paris and Rotten! have more widespread appeal than Fun Home, but the support for that show is (rightfully) very strong amongst the nominators.

AKarp2013 Profile Photo
AKarp2013
#123Rant about the 2015 TONY NOMINATIONS here
Posted: 4/28/15 at 9:58am

The Finding Neverland fanboys and fangirls are freaking out. I've read a few comments on Facebook and Twitter of how mad they are that the show didn't get any nods. A few wrote that they weren't going to watch the Tony's this year because of it.

Oy gevalt.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#124Rant about the 2015 TONY NOMINATIONS here
Posted: 4/28/15 at 9:58am

I am just glad "Last Ship" got nomination for score.

Videos