Broaday Show Souvenirs

Gothampc
#1Broaday Show Souvenirs
Posted: 5/18/15 at 1:42pm

I was looking through some old stuff and I found that I have a book of matches from the first Roundabout production of Cabaret.

I have a lot of pins from different Broadway and off-Broadway shows of the 90s.

What are some of the show souvenirs that you have?

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#2Broaday Show Souvenirs
Posted: 5/18/15 at 1:53pm

I usually buy mugs at shows I like, but sometimes get a magnet if the mug is lame or too expensive. I like when they have something unique about them like a different shape or design. They often have a clever tagline or quote from the show. I kind of wish I had started a magnet collection previously because it's fun to fill a fridge with them, but the mugs are also cool to display and use - and a good conversation piece.

I got a magnet at the King and I because the mug was a ridiculous $25 (and nothing special) ... they are usually $15. Then later I saw the fan and wish I had gotten that.

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

jkstheatrescene Profile Photo
jkstheatrescene
#2Broaday Show Souvenirs
Posted: 5/18/15 at 1:58pm

My friend always buys a magnet for every show we see. You can't even see the actual refrigerator at his place, it is so covered!

I used to collect posters from every show - I have hundreds of them. But is isn't very practical.  I have maybe 20 of them framed.  The rest are in storage.  Now, only a select few are purchased by me anymore.

hanabana
#3Broaday Show Souvenirs
Posted: 5/18/15 at 2:11pm

I usually don't buy anything when I go see shows, mainly because I just don't have the room for them in my house.  But I still make exceptions from time to time, and I am more inclined to make impulse purchases when I see something that is not sold at every show.  Off the top of my head:  I have a scarf from Once, an autographed baseball from 700 Sundays, a deck of cards from Honeymoon in Vegas, a jump rope from Rocky, some keychains, some pins as well, and some mugs.  I really wanted to buy the snow globe they have at Aladdin, but I had to stop myself because I simply have no room for it.  Oh, the souvenirs I would have had if I had a bigger house, haha...

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#4Broaday Show Souvenirs
Posted: 5/18/15 at 2:29pm

The picture books and "not-just-the-logo" tee shirts are my favorite things to collect. I keep every PLAYBILL.

I have unique pieces from many shows: Stuffed Milky White from INTO THE WOODS, a magnetic Amneris fashion doll from AIDA... My whole bedroom is PHANTOM memorabilia and I have an entire table devoted to my WICKED collection Broaday Show Souvenirs

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

Baiseur82 Profile Photo
Baiseur82
#5Broaday Show Souvenirs
Posted: 5/18/15 at 3:43pm

I buy a magnet for every show I see, Its a fun way to remember the shows plus they are usually cheep and easy to transport! I started buying them about 2 years ago and have been on a crusade to get one from each show I saw prior to collecting! I really only have a few shows left I need to find! Thanks ebay

"I'd rater be nine peoples favorite thing, than a hundred peoples ninth favorite thing"

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#6Broaday Show Souvenirs
Posted: 5/18/15 at 4:34pm

Mostly I buy T-shirts, but only if it's a show I like (obviously), and if the design is aesthetically pleasing to me. I don't have many other souvenirs, except playbills.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#7Broaday Show Souvenirs
Posted: 5/18/15 at 4:58pm

Playbills, magnets now  & previously T shirts

No to programs, sippy cups & other knick/knacks

Poster Emeritus

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#8Broaday Show Souvenirs
Posted: 5/18/15 at 5:10pm

If I really like the show, I will buy a shirt.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

valeposh Profile Photo
valeposh
#9Broaday Show Souvenirs
Posted: 5/18/15 at 5:13pm

My fiancé and I buy magnets for every show we see. Our fridge is covered. We wanted to get mugs at first, but we don't have enough space to store all the mugs for all the shows we see. I also buy the poster if I like the artwork or really loved the show. We have about a dozen posters, mostly signed, many framed.

"Mr Sondheim, look: I made a hat, where there never was a hat, it's a Latin hat at that!"

brdwydreamer Profile Photo
brdwydreamer
#10Broaday Show Souvenirs
Posted: 5/18/15 at 5:31pm

I too buy magnets at every show! This is so silly but one of my FAVORITE moments of the night is when I get home and I add my new magnet to the fridge (aka MAGNET TIME hehe). Something Rotten had one of those magnets that also came with words to make sentences, so at the top of my fridge next to my generic 'Broadway' magnet, my fridge reads 'consummation of musical crack,' followed by many many many many show magnets.

:)

Just a peace of my mind.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#11Broaday Show Souvenirs
Posted: 5/18/15 at 5:54pm

I pretty much always get a magnet, souvenir program and usually a window card.  I used to get mugs a lot, but now only for unique designs or rare productions.  I have so many mugs, I'd have to invite the entire Windy City Gay Men's Chorus over for coffee so they could get used.  I rarely get a shirt unless I am either a) enthralled with the show beyond belief or b) really like the show and the t-shirt design is particularly attractive to me.  I think the last t-shirts I bought were for Hedwig and Lady Day.  My boyfriend bought shirts for The Last Ship (we bought it as we were entering the theatre; didn't like the show, but loved the shirt design) and the Miss Saigon London revival (interesting new logo design and layout).  And then I have a few little extra one-offs that were a bit unusual like the "Shroud of Hedwig" or some Rocky Horror glitter nail polish (from the 1999 London revival, the first West End production I ever saw).  I really wish I had some of the limited edition shirts though, like the "Today 4 U" shirt from Rent in 1996 or the "Watch the Eyebrows, Darling!" shirt from Closer to Heaven in London in 1999 (terrible show, but a funny shirt capturing its one moment of brilliance).

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

StephieElise
#12Broaday Show Souvenirs
Posted: 5/19/15 at 12:01pm

I by t-shirts for almost every show I see (unless the shirts are all awful and/or I hate the show...which has only happened once). A couple of times I've also bought a hoodie. We don't get Playbills in Australia so I also buy a souvenir program for each show (which also include the information like cast bios that would be in a Playbill on Broadway). I also have a few posters.

jen_in_toronto
#13Broaday Show Souvenirs
Posted: 5/19/15 at 1:04pm

I don't usually buy merch unless the show is extra special to me and the merch is unique. I bought the Hedwig shirt with JCM on it...really wanted a poster but it wasn't interesting (just text). I've seen the show three times and it pisses me off that Darren Criss and NPH are the ones who were the most promoted via merch. And I know they have to keep most of the merch somewhat generic but printed text on magnets, mugs etc is boring. Surely they could have come up with some more interesting ideas, like using the Shroud of Hedwig more.

I bought my friends Spiderman Turn Off the Dark magnets because we were having a hilarious ongoing dialogue about the show but I was the only one who saw it in the end and wanted to commemorate the occasion for all of us (and it was the cheapest and most transportable option). I bought my friend a Xmas ornament from Mary Poppins, of her umbrella...it was very cute.

I find most merch uninspired...just t-shirts or totes with the logo slapped on. The weirdest was The Elephant Man...a glamourous headshot of BCoop on everything. I used to buy programs but they just ended up on a shelf. I don't even save my Playbills.

Updated On: 5/19/15 at 01:04 PM

Gothampc
#14Broaday Show Souvenirs
Posted: 5/19/15 at 2:26pm

"I find most merch uninspired"

I agree.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

rentrocks27 Profile Photo
rentrocks27
#15Broaday Show Souvenirs
Posted: 5/20/15 at 12:33am

If I love a show, I buy a windowcard or program. I might get a shirt if I like the design and could see myself wearing it our in public! I used to get mugs. I have multiple items from my favorite shows. From Rent: 4 window cards, 2 mugs, 3 shirts, script, Rent Bible, 2 cast albums, 1 magnet. And I collect playbills from all of the shows I see.

Videos