pixeltracker

Roger Rees has departed The Visit- Page 2

Roger Rees has departed The Visit

Liza's Headband
#25Roger Rees has departed The Visit
Posted: 5/28/15 at 11:26am

That must be due to the fact that his medical condition has not been publicly released. I was unaware of that. Just not sure why my posts were the only ones targeted for deletion.... but whatever.

LarryD2
#26Roger Rees has departed The Visit
Posted: 5/28/15 at 11:27am

They were deleted because you specifically disclosed his diagnosis. How is that not clear to you?

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#27Roger Rees has departed The Visit
Posted: 5/28/15 at 11:35am

Wishing him well.

He gave a great and nuanced performance.

....but the world goes 'round

neonlightsxo
#28Roger Rees has departed The Visit
Posted: 5/28/15 at 12:00pm

Headband, what were you unaware of? That his condition has not been disclosed? It's not your place to go around talking about medical conditions of actors, especially ones that have specifically not been announced in the press for a reason. No surprise it was deleted.

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#29Roger Rees has departed The Visit
Posted: 5/28/15 at 12:00pm

Roger Rees is very dear to me.

I join with all who send him a world of good wishes.  

I add my love.

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."

Gothampc
#30Roger Rees has departed The Visit
Posted: 5/28/15 at 1:59pm

I'm surprised this is just being discussed now.  Rees was removed from the website last week.

Link

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#31Roger Rees has departed The Visit
Posted: 5/28/15 at 2:00pm

It was discussed last week; this is just the first thread to be so specific.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

skies Profile Photo
skies
#31Roger Rees has departed The Visit
Posted: 5/29/15 at 1:33am

Wishing him well

"when I’m on stage I see the abyss and have to overcome it by telling myself it’s only a play." - Helen Mirren

sueb1863 Profile Photo
sueb1863
#32Roger Rees has departed The Visit
Posted: 5/29/15 at 7:04am

I'm wishing him well, too. Loved him in Nicholas Nickleby, still my favorite play.

drewmangroup Profile Photo
drewmangroup
#33Roger Rees has departed The Visit
Posted: 5/29/15 at 7:26am

Does anyone know which performance was his last? I saw him perform it on 5/22. I loved him in the role and thought it must have been how they were playing it that he was perhaps a bit slower on the draw. 

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#34Roger Rees has departed The Visit
Posted: 5/29/15 at 7:43am

Are you positive it was Rees? I believe he's been out since at least May 9th. I saw Nelis on May 20th, and Rees was taken off the website on May 23rd.

ILuv2shop531
#35Roger Rees has departed The Visit
Posted: 5/29/15 at 10:31am

Roger definitely wasn't out until after May 9th. I took my Mom for Mother's Day that Saturday night and he was in the show that performance. 

Gothampc
#36Roger Rees has departed The Visit
Posted: 5/29/15 at 11:02am

I saw Rees in The Red Shoes before his unfortunate departure.  (And he wasn't the problem with the show).

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Brian07663NJ
#37Roger Rees has departed The Visit
Posted: 5/29/15 at 11:09am

I am very sorry to hear of his health problems. Unfortunately, I did not enjoy his performance in this role. It came across as weak and feeble. This is not what I would expect from a character that I hope would beat the odds to survive. When I saw George Hearn as Anton at the Signature Theatre he was vibrant, strong and alive. For me Roger Rees played a much older, one foot in the grave Anton who wouldn't be missed if revenge succeeded and he left in the coffin. 

Regardless...it is a very unfortunate departure. Get well Mr Rees. Wishing him all the best.

Liza's Headband
#38Roger Rees has departed The Visit
Posted: 5/29/15 at 12:08pm

It came across as weak and feeble.

Yes. There's a fairly good reason for that.

Brian07663NJ
#39Roger Rees has departed The Visit
Posted: 5/29/15 at 12:22pm

that isn't the reason... George Hearn has a much deeper, booming, masculine voice and Roger Rees does not.

FishermanBob Profile Photo
FishermanBob
#40Roger Rees has departed The Visit
Posted: 5/29/15 at 12:51pm

The man is an outstanding actor, by all accounts a very kind human being and apparently he is very ill. He's left the show so at this point, is there a real need to continue to nitpick his performance or should we just send him our prayers for a speedy recovery and leave it at that?

Updated On: 5/29/15 at 12:51 PM

Liza's Headband
#41Roger Rees has departed The Visit
Posted: 5/29/15 at 12:54pm

^ This.

Brian07663NJ
#42Roger Rees has departed The Visit
Posted: 5/29/15 at 1:50pm

Bob... it's a noble goal but an unrealistic one. Performers forever want to be remembered for their roles and they will always be discussed regardless of which side of the grass they are located. 

I agree that it is very unfortunate that he is ill but we are merely discussing his most recent role. If it was a dynamic, spectacular, amazing performance the conversation would continue and not stop due to his illness and departure. Talking about it has been respectful and related to the show without bashing him or his previous icon roles.

I also specifically stated in my post that I wish him well.

Kimbo
#43Roger Rees has departed The Visit
Posted: 5/29/15 at 1:57pm

"I agree that it is very unfortunate that he is ill but we are merely discussing his most recent role. "

Sorry, but this is bull****.

You used the phrases "weak and feeble", "one foot in the grave" and how (I paraphrase here) he wouldn't be missed if we were in a coffin.  If you were remotely sincere about wishing him "the best", you wouldn't be posting at all.  If you were less sincere but legitimately wanted to analyze his performance, you would find a way to do so without applying phrases that deliberately evoke death to a gentleman apparently fighting something very serious.  Get some class, or stay off the boards.

Brian07663NJ
#44Roger Rees has departed The Visit
Posted: 5/29/15 at 2:12pm

Kimbo... please don't twist what I wrote. When I used those phrases it was related to THIS show. There was a coffin ON the stage the entire time. Who would care if ANTON died because the performance portrayed did not scream vitality - save me - to the people of the town. So in that context I meant what I wrote - not to Roger Rees the living person. For Christ's sake people get a grip. I have made it abundantly clear I wish him well.

FishermanBob
#45Roger Rees has departed The Visit
Posted: 5/29/15 at 2:15pm

Brian, sometimes there are things in life that are more important than someone's performance in a show.  Hard to believe I know, but trust me, it's true.

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#46Roger Rees has departed The Visit
Posted: 5/29/15 at 2:24pm

"Brian, sometimes there are things in life that are more important than someone's performance in a show.  Hard to believe I know, but trust me, it's true."

You mean performers AREN'T robots?!?!?!

Honestly, I wish him the best. Clearly he's very sick if he had to leave the show. :/

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

Brian07663NJ
#47Roger Rees has departed The Visit
Posted: 5/29/15 at 2:25pm

Yes Bob - but this is a Broadway theater discussion board - not Roger Rees personal blog/website. We are here to discuss theater, shows, the performances and the performers... maybe we can request a special list of topics/performers that are taboo and the dates discussions are off limits.

Again - best wishes to Roger Rees.

FishermanBob
#48Roger Rees has departed The Visit
Posted: 5/29/15 at 2:35pm

Brian, when human compassion was given out, you were probably too busy elsewhere lining up to rush a show so I won't make any further attempts to appeal to yours since it doesn't appear you have any.

You go on critiquing his performance cause as you so rightly put it, this is a Broadway discussion board and by God, that's what we do here. Please share some more of your insight about his performance. We're all ears.