pixeltracker

ON YOUR FEET Pre-Broadway (and Broadway) Previews- Page 2

ON YOUR FEET Pre-Broadway (and Broadway) Previews

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#25ON YOUR FEET begins pre-Broadway run in Chicago
Posted: 6/3/15 at 11:31am

There are two songs that I'm going to say are "almost definitely" new because I don't know for sure, but lyrically you can pretty easily detect the difference between a pop song and a music theatre song in this case. Actually that's not true, one of them I do know for sure is new -- the music was written by Gloria and Emilio's daughter Emily, and I think both Gloria and Emilio wrote the lyrics -- it's the one like, if I never got to tell you, or something like that. The one that I think is new is the solo Gloria sings before the bus accident, about fame and stuff. They stick out a lot because lyrically they're situationally specific, whereas the others, by virtue of the genre, are way more generic. The one in the surgery sequence sounded like a pop song, so I am assuming it's not new, but it also could've just been written differently. Maybe someone knows! I'm sure we'll find out eventually.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

RW3
#26ON YOUR FEET begins pre-Broadway run in Chicago
Posted: 6/3/15 at 11:32am

I have faith that the book problems will be fixed by the end of the run in Chicago and hopefully by opening night on Broadway. Alexander Dinelaris won the Golden Globe and Oscar for a reason.

luvtheEmcee
#27ON YOUR FEET begins pre-Broadway run in Chicago
Posted: 6/3/15 at 11:34am

I don't know. I think the issues I'm thinking about are, at this point, deeply woven into the way the show is built and are not going to change. There are things in the book that could be improved and they would help, but it's not just the book that's the problem -- and frankly, it's not even mostly the book that's the problem. Much of the book is fine, which is why I said the issues are structural, and when I say that I'm trying to suggest, without being specific, that the problems are larger than the usual "bad book" problems that are easy to talk about: scenes are unnecessary, it doesn't flow, the writing is awkward, character development doesn't exist. Nothing like that. I'm thinking about things that have to do with the placement of the songs, in some cases, and where the beats of the storytelling sit. Etc.

But that's really all I am going to say. I'm not gonna be a jerk and website dramaturg for them.

Updated On: 6/3/15 at 11:34 AM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#28ON YOUR FEET begins pre-Broadway run in Chicago
Posted: 6/3/15 at 12:37pm

I'm so excited for this. Being from Florida (Miami born) in the late 70s and growing up in the 80s, Gloria was a HUGE part of my life. I'll be at the first broadway preview just praying to even catch a glimpse of her there. 

Question - Was "Always Tomorrow" in the show? It's my favorite song of hers and I realize that in a musical it could come off either really great or exceptionally corny. 

luvtheEmcee
#29ON YOUR FEET begins pre-Broadway run in Chicago
Posted: 6/3/15 at 1:06pm

I think you'll see her!! 

RevolutionaryCostume Profile Photo
RevolutionaryCostume
#30ON YOUR FEET begins pre-Broadway run in Chicago
Posted: 6/3/15 at 1:20pm

She was right across the center aisle from me.  I looked at her during the show more than I would like to admit.

It was just so cool to see the story of her life while I was sitting that close to her haha.

luvtheEmcee
#31ON YOUR FEET begins pre-Broadway run in Chicago
Posted: 6/3/15 at 1:24pm

I was on one of the sides of the dress circle, with a good view of the front of the house. It was fun to look over and see her throughout! I saw her dancing along to Conga and it was so cute.

MrJNLong
#32ON YOUR FEET begins pre-Broadway run in Chicago
Posted: 6/3/15 at 2:16pm

Oh my gosh.  14 year-old me is freaking out right now.  I am dying to know the songlist...can anyone at least say songs they recognized that were in them?  I'm so curious about the surgery song.  I'm sure I could tell you exactly what it is and what its originally from if someone could describe it.

I am so excited to see this!

OK, now I will return to being a responsible adult...

RevolutionaryCostume Profile Photo
RevolutionaryCostume
#33ON YOUR FEET begins pre-Broadway run in Chicago
Posted: 6/3/15 at 2:37pm

Pardon my limited knowledge of her music, but I knew these songs

Anything For You- Gloria sings it as her audition for Emilio.

1, 2, 3 - Gloria sings to Emilio during their first days of rehearsal as a band

Conga - Act 1 finale, and continues as the Act 2 beginning.

Don't Wanna Lose You - Duet between Emilio and Gloria when she's frustrated about her healing after the accident.

Coming Out of the Dark - The finale is a recreation of her performance at the American Music Awards, which I just watched on Youtube and it's pretty darned faithful lol.

Rhythm Is Gonna Get You/Conga/Turn The Beat Around/On Your Feet - Medley of hits for the curtain call.

I would say at least 4 of the songs in the show are completely in Spanish.  I thought it was a neat way of tipping her hat to her bilingual career.

Maybe somebody else knows more of the titles?

Updated On: 6/3/15 at 02:37 PM

luvtheEmcee
#34ON YOUR FEET begins pre-Broadway run in Chicago
Posted: 6/3/15 at 4:36pm

One of the concert medleys is, I think, Get On Your Feet, Live for Loving You, and a random song called You'll Be Mine (Party Time) that was on Destiny.

I See Your Smile

Pretty sure there's a little bit of Oye Mi Canto somewhere in there, too, which I believe was recorded in both languages.

Updated On: 6/3/15 at 04:36 PM

luvtheEmcee
#35ON YOUR FEET begins pre-Broadway run in Chicago
Posted: 6/3/15 at 4:41pm

I think the mystery song during the ballet sequence is a song called Wrapped, from the 2003 album Unwrapped. Someone confirm? 

CukorLover Profile Photo
CukorLover
#36ON YOUR FEET begins pre-Broadway run in Chicago
Posted: 6/3/15 at 4:41pm

Anyone care to share how Jerry Mitchell's work was in the show? Or for that matter, Sergio Trujillo? There was much talk about these two being involved, but no one has mentioned them and their contribution to the show. Thanks.

luvtheEmcee
#37ON YOUR FEET begins pre-Broadway run in Chicago
Posted: 6/3/15 at 4:44pm

I loved the choreography! I should have said that earlier. There's a lot of dancing, as there well should be.

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#38ON YOUR FEET begins pre-Broadway run in Chicago
Posted: 6/3/15 at 4:45pm

Is Reach in it?

luvtheEmcee
#39ON YOUR FEET begins pre-Broadway run in Chicago
Posted: 6/3/15 at 4:49pm

Yes! I knew I forgot a "duh" one.

ErinDillyFan Profile Photo
ErinDillyFan
#40ON YOUR FEET begins pre-Broadway run in Chicago
Posted: 6/3/15 at 5:44pm

Just got 2 front row center tickets for June 27!

Bro_on_Broadway Profile Photo
Bro_on_Broadway
#41ON YOUR FEET begins pre-Broadway run in Chicago
Posted: 6/3/15 at 6:22pm

yes. the song is called wrapped. 

Mr Smith
#42ON YOUR FEET begins pre-Broadway run in Chicago
Posted: 6/3/15 at 6:39pm

I am not going to waste my time seeing this because Jerry has decided not to the choreography. Jerry has many tony awards I am not sure why they would give the job to someone else who does not 

Bro_on_Broadway Profile Photo
Bro_on_Broadway
#43ON YOUR FEET begins pre-Broadway run in Chicago
Posted: 6/3/15 at 6:41pm

the songs in spanish are:

Tradicion

Mi Tierra

Oye mi Canto

and one more in the megamix but I don't remember what one.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#44ON YOUR FEET begins pre-Broadway run in Chicago
Posted: 6/3/15 at 8:39pm

So many great songs from various points in her career.

Also happy those three Spanish language songs are included, Mi Tierra is one of my all time favorites.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Different Drum
#45ON YOUR FEET begins pre-Broadway run in Chicago
Posted: 6/10/15 at 10:14am

One week later and no word from Chicago. It's surprising how little buzz this show has created. Looking forward to hearing more from the Windy City.

ChiTheaterFan
#46ON YOUR FEET begins pre-Broadway run in Chicago
Posted: 6/10/15 at 3:01pm

I am hoping to see this before it closes its Chicago run and will report back. But I can say, I live in Chicago and know a lot of theater fans and no one is talking about this show. I have no idea why that is. There was lots of buzz and news about the Last Ship, Big Fish, and Addams Family  in their pre-Broadway runs. I don't know why I've heard virtually nothing about this.

Of course maybe all the news for those other shows was because they were not good and they were trying to put butts in seats.  I also don't recall much in terms of buzz with the Bring it On previews, and I actually thought that was a fun little show.  There was a lot of buzz over Kinky Boots, though, and that obvoiusly has been successful. 

Updated On: 6/10/15 at 03:01 PM

roadmixer
#47ON YOUR FEET begins pre-Broadway run in Chicago
Posted: 6/10/15 at 3:38pm

crickets....

skies Profile Photo
skies
#48ON YOUR FEET begins pre-Broadway run in Chicago
Posted: 6/10/15 at 9:02pm

I think Gloria Estefan is a sweetheart, but I dunno, her music seems so dated, it screams 80's  disposable pop.

Then again, we have "Mama Mia"...

"when I’m on stage I see the abyss and have to overcome it by telling myself it’s only a play." - Helen Mirren

asmith0307
#49ON YOUR FEET begins pre-Broadway run in Chicago
Posted: 6/10/15 at 10:04pm

"One week later and no word from Chicago. It's surprising how little buzz this show has created. Looking forward to hearing more from the Windy City."

I'd wait until official opening in a week. Then, maybe we will start to hear more. I don't remember hearing much about Amazing Grace in November, and I was in the area.