Inside Out

Roscoe
#50Inside Out
Posted: 7/4/15 at 3:11pm

"You couldn't have told this story, if you wanted to tell THAT story. The important thing was that Riley's problems only seemed so huge and insurmountable when looked at through a single emotional lens. Things like divorce or a major socioeconomic change would have lasting damage/repercussions.

In order to illustrate the film's climax- the first movement of a young person's life from simple to complex emotional processing- the central struggle had to be something that couldn't be dealt with easily by one emotion alone, but could be dealt with and ultimately "conquered" by two or more. If the stakes were any higher, it would be a different movie with a different end game/outcome."

Well said, and entirely true, and a succinct statement of the film's utter flimsiness and ultimate shallowness.  Not since OKLAHOMA's Laurey had to go to the box social with Jud has a heroine's travails been based on so very very little.  Poor Little Rich Girl Riley has a bad couple of days -- boo hoo -- and then she feels better -- awwwww.  It's not like I want everything to be Dostoyevsky High Tragedy here, but I think the conflict going on in that girl's life could have been a bit more potent, carried more weight.  Compare INSIDE OUT to any of the TOY STORY films, or THE INCREDIBLES and/or WALL-E and I think the difference should be apparent.

Just my take on it, it seems.  Glad folks are digging on it.  There are worse ways for kids to spend a couple of hours.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/
Updated On: 7/4/15 at 03:11 PM

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#51Inside Out
Posted: 7/4/15 at 7:11pm

I'm finding criticism of this movie hard to accept especially since my granddaughters enjoyed it so immensely.

Stephanatic

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#52Inside Out
Posted: 7/4/15 at 7:37pm

You can criticize any movie, even All About Eve, Wild Strawberries, or La Strada

FindingNamo
#53Inside Out
Posted: 7/4/15 at 10:37pm

You can NOT.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#54Inside Out
Posted: 7/5/15 at 12:30am

Criticize Inside Out?

All About Eve?

Wild Strawberries?

La Strada?

FindingNamo
#55Inside Out
Posted: 7/5/15 at 1:03am

I mean, All About Eve.  You simply can not.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#56Inside Out
Posted: 7/5/15 at 1:04am

I thought so too, but I suppose it might be theoretically possible.

God that movie is perfect though.

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#57Inside Out
Posted: 7/5/15 at 11:41am

I love "All About Eve." But Anne Baxter is just about the worst actress ever put on celluloid (IMHO, of course).

Taryn Profile Photo
Taryn
#58Inside Out
Posted: 7/5/15 at 11:47am

Man, I remember moving at Riley's age, and I found that made the movie MORE affecting for me. Having your whole life uprooted is hardly nothing when you're a kid. And I think the whole point of it was for it to be a sort of normal life event that happens but that, especially when you're a kid, you have to figure out to navigate. And it can really suck even if it's a super common event.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#59Inside Out
Posted: 7/5/15 at 7:40pm

I avoided this thread until I had a chance to see Inside Out for myself.  Disclaimer: I only see one or two movies (tops) a year, so I make my selection very carefully.  I'm just not a film person, never was.  It was the chatter from friends that made me want to see this, and I'm sure happy I did!  What a lovely, extremely well-thought out film.  I'm glad I didn't know who did the voiceovers until the credits rolled at the end.  This way I didn't have the person's image in my head whenever their character spoke. I would say the audience this afternoon was 98% adults.  Not a peep or distraction from anyone throughout the entire movie.  I loved it!

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#60Inside Out
Posted: 7/5/15 at 9:29pm

I highly enjoyed it when I saw it opening weekend and I wonder if some people notice that this is the first Pixar film in a long while that doesn't have a villain or an antagonistic character. The art and animation were wonderful to look at and I did enjoy the details that operate the entirety of Riley's head.

Definitely a step forward for Pixar after the slump that started with CARS 2.

HighFlyingAdored97 Profile Photo
HighFlyingAdored97
#61Inside Out
Posted: 7/7/15 at 8:03pm

I saw this with my friend today (we're in our late teens) and we both loved it. I adore Amy Poehler and definitely thought she was the highlight of the A+ cast. I cried a few times throughout the film... the two I can remember the most were in the beginning when Joy was created and introduced us to Riley/how her mind worked and the "Take her to the moon for me" line. I absolutely recommend it and there were people without children in the audience. 

"The city seen from the Queensboro Bridge is always the city seen for the first time, in its first wild promise of all the mystery and the beauty in the world." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#62Inside Out
Posted: 7/9/15 at 11:07am

I'm in the "eh" category.  I'll stick with the PHANTOM TOLLBOOTH.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

Showface
#63Inside Out
Posted: 7/9/15 at 1:10pm

I loved this film! Simple as that.

The voice work and animation were both brilliant.

I was 100% into the film, and the brilliant concept elevated the emotional complexity of the piece.

I knew something would happen to Bing Bong, I just didn't know what or when it would happen. I first thought when he felt sad about Riley forgetting him, he would just leap into the forgotten memories, feeling as if he had nothing to live for, but I was very pleased (and sad) by how they ended his story.

I did get a little teary-eyed during certain scenes, but I was smiling through the most of it.
I for one, though I never made a huge move, like Riley, can totally relate to what she was feeling. The part where sadness fixed everything was really the part that got to me!

A must see film!

Showface
#64Inside Out
Posted: 7/9/15 at 2:03pm

And of course! The IMDB reviews are plagued with parents claiming the film should be rated NC-17, and that they now feel "depressed" because this colorful animated film doesn't sugar coat important themes with fart-jokes...

Updated On: 7/9/15 at 02:03 PM

Roscoe
#65Inside Out
Posted: 7/9/15 at 3:14pm

"And of course! The IMDB reviews are plagued with parents claiming the film should be rated NC-17, and that they now feel "depressed" because this colorful animated film doesn't sugar coat important themes with fart-jokes... "

Takes all kinds -- any parents that threatened and disturbed by this innocuous little kiddie weep flick are probably too fragile to be raising children in the first place.  Can you imagine the dewy milky ricket-ridden things they beget?

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#66Inside Out
Posted: 7/19/15 at 8:45pm

Was prepared to be "wowed". Came away "meh-ed'. Oh it had moment's the "listened" one that Namo mentioned,  the wonderful drawing of SanFran, deconstruction et all. GREAT voice acting. But there was never any "risk" for me, there was no real plot ,  I knew it would all work out  but w/out any real "growth" on Riley's part- she doesn't learn - it felt hollow and the Bing Bong- I HATE people who try to manipulate me- this bit plays better when it's done in a war movie or at least action/adventure. "greater love hath no man than he lay down his life for his friends" . My brother usta call this the "tell Mamma I won't be home for suppah tonight.." moment. I liked the gimmick better too when H erman's Head did this.

Can't compare w Wall-e or UP.

I read somewhere that if u didn't cry in this movie you must be a cyborg- well I announce my membership in the cyborg nation.

Next.

Updated On: 7/19/15 at 08:45 PM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#67Inside Out
Posted: 7/24/15 at 12:39am

I cried at the Lava piece, so I loved "inside out." totally worth it.