pixeltracker

Megan Hilty Will Star in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN Gala Concert at City Center- Page 3

Megan Hilty Will Star in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN Gala Concert at City Center

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#50Megan Hilty Will Star in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN Gala Concert at City Center
Posted: 10/27/15 at 10:23pm

She's the best Annie I've ever seen. Either in person or on video. 

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#51Megan Hilty Will Star in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN Gala Concert at City Center
Posted: 10/27/15 at 10:26pm

I had a fantastic time tonight - Megan was absolutely glorious! The orchestra was thrilling - especially the overture, which was magnificent. The cast was overall fantastic - with Ron Rains and Judy Kaye standing out even in sketchbook parts. Andy Karl did his best with Frank - but the book isn't on his side. That's not to say he wasn't great, but it would take an Olympian to make Frank's character work - as besides having one number that paints him out to be a cad, the rest of the show is just him being incredibly whiny, sexist, and a sore loser (even if he does have a beautiful song in "The Girl That I Marry" and a fun number with "My Defenses Are Down"Megan Hilty Will Star in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN Gala Concert at City Center. He does play well with Hilty - their relationship makes sense and you just wish Frank would marry Annie sooner because of the wonderful magic those two do together!

Megan was, well, phenomenal. In a role that invites one-notedness, she shines. She takes thin dialogue and crinkly jokes and makes them seem sparkling new. She takes already fantastic numbers and turns them into tear-down-the-roof showstoppers. She not only finds the determination of Annie, but also her hope, fear, and weaknesses. And it's Annie's weakness that make her such a strong figure to be reckoned with. She belts the house down and then sings her glorious ballads of longing that break your heart. And don't forget the comedy -  it's all right there in her fingers! This performance really made me appreciate her more and I wish someone would write her a vehicle to create the star that is, as of now, just on the edge of exploding.

As for the show itself? It's no Oklahoma! - and by that I mean while it may be a very well-constructed show for 1946, it simply does not hold up. The show hinges on the fact that Annie cannot overshadow the mediocre (and weak) Frank - and she throws everything away for him! If it weren't for Karl's excellent performance I would have been confused why Annie just didn't find another man. The Indian subplot has been cleaned - "Buffalo Bill" had the lyrics changed to something vague to not offend "Indians". As a Native American, I found it nice that this was cleared up. And the obvious offender - "I'm an Indian Too" - was cut, although I must admit I love the melody. The book, creaky as ever, was made to look almost pristine on first glance due to the very talented cast, but the cracks are there - and as clear as ever. The book is full of obvious song lead ins, which was a little annoying, but the score is so good you can forgive that.

Speaking of the score, I must admit to not being the biggest Berlin fan. However, when he writes for specific characters, his lyrics glisten. While there were a few boring numbers ("Doin' What Comes Naturally" is bearable for the fantastic lyrics, but the melody repeated far too many times) the well crafted numbers outweighed them ("You Can't Get a Man With a Gun" is a phenomenal comic piece). The score was wonderful, and the lyrics were lovely. Although the score as a whole did remind me of a quote. "Lovely, all I am is lovely..."

That nicely sums up the show as a whole. The show is a little old and creaky with a lovely score - but the cast can almost convince you the entire thing is brilliant.

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir
Updated On: 10/27/15 at 10:26 PM

VintageSnarker
#52Megan Hilty Will Star in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN Gala Concert at City Center
Posted: 10/27/15 at 11:03pm

This was in great shape considering they had 6 days to put it together. Megan Hilty could not have been more right for this part. For a while I was disappointed I missed Reba McEntire and I love the Peter Gallagher/Patti Lupone version of Old Fashioned Wedding that used to be online. But it's hard to imagine anyone being better in this part than Megan was tonight. She was so effortlessly charming and natural. And this was a fantastic role for her voice. Everything that bothered me about her voice trying to be Marilyn in Smash worked perfectly for Annie. My one criticism would be a lack of depth but again, 6 days. It's hard to find chemistry with your co-star and fully understand your character in 6 days. With more rehearsal, it could be a Tony-worthy role for her. Andy Karl was solid but I think his voice is more comfortable in a higher range and to me, it didn't sound right for Frank because I'm so used to Howard Keel. He had his songs but I didn't fall in love with him the way I think you're supposed to fall in love with Frank along with Annie so you view his jerkiness with a kinder eye.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#53Megan Hilty Will Star in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN Gala Concert at City Center
Posted: 10/28/15 at 12:10am

This production is one of the best things this season (and many past City Center seasons) has had to offer. It's fantastic. Megan Hilty is a revelation and Andy Karl is perfection. 

If this were to ever become a full fledged Broadway production, they may as well engrave her Tony now. 

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#54Megan Hilty Will Star in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN Gala Concert at City Center
Posted: 10/28/15 at 12:18am

Does anyone have a recommendation on a cast recording for this show? Well, the next best thing to what we saw tonight. 

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#55Megan Hilty Will Star in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN Gala Concert at City Center
Posted: 10/28/15 at 12:31am

My favorite is the 1966 Lincoln Center recording. Can't beat the Merm.

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#56Megan Hilty Will Star in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN Gala Concert at City Center
Posted: 10/28/15 at 12:50am

1966 is the way to go. Original star, original orchestrations, stereo.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

Broadway Bob* Profile Photo
Broadway Bob*
#57Megan Hilty Will Star in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN Gala Concert at City Center
Posted: 10/28/15 at 12:51am

If this is as wonderful as everyone is saying, is there any chance it might turn into a full production? It would be nice to get the awful taste out of my mouth that last revival left! Especially if they are using the Lincoln Center Merman book as opposed to the original or the Peters revival.

<-- Tevye, FIDDLER ON THE ROOF, March 2018

binau Profile Photo
binau
#58Megan Hilty Will Star in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN Gala Concert at City Center
Posted: 10/28/15 at 4:00am

I really think Merman is awfully miscast in this role, I don't find much value in her performance (but like her GYPSY recording the quality of such an old recording is surprisingly high). I would love to hear Hilty in the role.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#59Megan Hilty Will Star in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN Gala Concert at City Center
Posted: 10/28/15 at 8:13am

Woke up this morning humming "I Got the Sun in the Morning."  What a terrific night!!!  I absolutely loved the chemistry between Megan and Andy.  They both sounded gorgeous.  See this if you can tonight!!!!

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#60Megan Hilty Will Star in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN Gala Concert at City Center
Posted: 10/28/15 at 8:57am

WiCkEDrOcKS said: "This production is one of the best things this season (and many past City Center seasons) has had to offer. It's fantastic. Megan Hilty is a revelation and Andy Karl is perfection. 

If this were to ever become a full fledged Broadway production, they may as well engrave her Tony now."

My very early favorite for Best Actress in a Musical for this season is Laura Benanti, based solely on thinking Amalia is a fantastic part and knowing what Benanti is capable of. It's really hard picturing any actress topping the amount of sheer charm Hilty had as Annie last night. I had a few very minor quibbles with her performance, but I really thought this part fit her absolutely perfectly.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#61Megan Hilty Will Star in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN Gala Concert at City Center
Posted: 10/28/15 at 9:12am

Couldn't agree more. This was one of the more perfect marriages of character and performer I've seen onstage in a while. 

neonlightsxo
#62Megan Hilty Will Star in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN Gala Concert at City Center
Posted: 10/28/15 at 9:27am

Have to agree with everyone else. Megan was simply brilliant. It actually makes me quite emotional to remember seeing her in Wicked and now to the star she's become. Broadway, we can't let her go! She's a musical comedy superstar.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#63Megan Hilty Will Star in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN Gala Concert at City Center
Posted: 10/28/15 at 9:29am

Thank you, guys, for the reviews! This sounds like a wonderful evening, it's great to see that Hilty was as good as we thought she'd be when the announcement came out. 

If this does end up materializing into a Broadway production (and I hope it does), it won't be until next season as Hilty is doing NOISES OFF in early 2016. As far as a recording goes, I am partial to the Peters' recording but really one of my most prized possessions is a 2-track of Reba's flawless renditions of "You Can't Get a Man..." and "It's Wonderful." I can't believe she didn't record the whole thing.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

HighFlyingAdored97 Profile Photo
HighFlyingAdored97
#64Megan Hilty Will Star in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN Gala Concert at City Center
Posted: 10/28/15 at 9:34am

I was already excited to see this tonight and now I'm even more excited because of all of the positive responses! Where did everyone sit? I've only been to New York City Center once, should I expect a bad view from the balcony?

"The city seen from the Queensboro Bridge is always the city seen for the first time, in its first wild promise of all the mystery and the beauty in the world." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

neonlightsxo
#65Megan Hilty Will Star in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN Gala Concert at City Center
Posted: 10/28/15 at 9:40am

The balcony is perfectly fine. I always sit in the balcony. It's just high up.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#66Megan Hilty Will Star in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN Gala Concert at City Center
Posted: 10/28/15 at 9:42am

The balcony is almost always great for shows at City Center, and since this was played much more like a concert (read: exclusively downstage center) than some recent Encores! shows have been, you won't miss anything.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

PJPan
#67Megan Hilty Will Star in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN Gala Concert at City Center
Posted: 10/28/15 at 9:44am

I was in the front left balcony and only had a very minimally obstructed view (from house left). I could everything else just fine, and anywhere to sit is great in order to see/hear Megan Hilty in this role. She was just fantastic.

HighFlyingAdored97 Profile Photo
HighFlyingAdored97
#68Megan Hilty Will Star in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN Gala Concert at City Center
Posted: 10/28/15 at 9:46am

Okay great, thank you all for telling me!

"The city seen from the Queensboro Bridge is always the city seen for the first time, in its first wild promise of all the mystery and the beauty in the world." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#69Megan Hilty Will Star in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN Gala Concert at City Center
Posted: 10/28/15 at 10:22am

I woke and listened to the 66 Merman and now am just finishing up with Bernadette. On to Judy Kaye next! Last night put me in the best mood. I loved it all so much!!

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

elmore3003
#70Megan Hilty Will Star in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN Gala Concert at City Center
Posted: 10/28/15 at 11:00am

qolbinau said: "I really think Merman is awfully miscast in this role, I don't find much value in her performance (but like her GYPSY recording the quality of such an old recording is surprisingly high). I would love to hear Hilty in the role.

Merman miscast? Odd, since the show was written for her.

"

hushpuppy Profile Photo
hushpuppy
#71Megan Hilty Will Star in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN Gala Concert at City Center
Posted: 10/28/15 at 11:20am

Sally Durant Plummer said:  The book, creaky as ever, was made to look almost pristine on first glance due to the very talented cast, but the cracks are there - and as clear as ever. The book is full of obvious song lead ins, which was a little annoying, but the score is so good you can forgive that.

ANNIE GET YOUR GUN was never cutting-edge, as say ON THE TOWN and CAROUSEL were just a year or so earlier. It was written just after World War II ended and men and women were easing back into their more typical roles. 

There's an old Broadway story (probably invented by a press agent) that said that, after ANNIE GET YOUR GUN opened in 1946, one of Irving Berlin's friends ran into him and told him that, although he had enjoyed the show, he found it to be old-fashioned. 'Absolutely', replied Berlin, 'an old-fashioned smash!

Thanks for all the reviews. I'm seeing it tonight and I can't wait!

'Our whole family shouts. It comes from us livin' so close to the railroad tracks'

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#72Megan Hilty Will Star in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN Gala Concert at City Center
Posted: 10/28/15 at 11:29am

Think "old-fashioned" is a great way to describe the book, and I think there's a difference between "old-fashioned" and "creaky." (I'm not an expert on the history of the book, but it seems like each time a revival pops up a new version of the book comes along with it.) Some of the jokes might be corny, but I genuinely laughed with the characters rather than groaned at the lines. Sure, there's almost zero real conflict in the piece, but I still managed to care about the characters and rooted for Frank and Annie to get together at the end. As hushpuppy said, it was never meant to be cutting edge, but I don't think it's aged poorly at all. We've seen older shows at Encores, Mufti, etc that have far weaker books than Annie Get Your Gun.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

smidge
#73Megan Hilty Will Star in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN Gala Concert at City Center
Posted: 10/28/15 at 11:59am

Can anyone tell me the running time of last night's performance? 

neonlightsxo
#74Megan Hilty Will Star in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN Gala Concert at City Center
Posted: 10/28/15 at 12:10pm

2 hours and a few minutes.