pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/28/15- Page 3

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/28/15

MegInManhattan
#50Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/28/15
Posted: 6/30/15 at 11:15am

SR uses a character who was a real person (Shakespeare) and uses the fact that he wrote plays. That's it. Nothing else is factual or borrows characters or plot from existing works, therefore it is an Original Musical.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#51Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/28/15
Posted: 6/30/15 at 11:22am

Aside from the fact it borrows liberally from- I mean, lovingly references- the musical theatre canon to get there, of course.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

VintageSnarker
#52Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/28/15
Posted: 6/30/15 at 1:51pm

"I'm thinking that it's nearly time for Chicago to pack it up. It's a great show, but it's been here for just about forever and I'd love to venture back into the Ambassador for something fresh."

While I appreciated getting to see Jennifer Nettles on Broadway and hopefully I'll be able to see Brandy as well I have to agree. The actual production feels tired and forget something fresh in the Ambassador, I'd be happy to have them just freshen that theatre up. It is literally falling apart. 

TexanAddams18
#53Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/28/15
Posted: 6/30/15 at 2:45pm

If SR isn't original, than BOM certainly isn't.

jnb9872 Profile Photo
jnb9872
#54Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/28/15
Posted: 6/30/15 at 3:12pm

BOM may have references to other shows, but it uses them (and the form of a traditional Broadway musical) to tell a very untraditional and rather insightful story about the impulse for faith and the need for a religious community to inspire hope. 

SR!, the critics who would argue tongue-in-cheek about it being "original" since it plainly is by any rational definition, would argue that SR!'s references overwhelm any semblance of any original idea to the point that there's no there there and it amounts to a dizzying number of referencing papered over a wager-thin (if that) concept that is wholly based on the ideas and works of others. 

Words don't deserve that kind of malarkey. They're innocent, neutral, precise, standing for this, describing that, meaning the other, so if you look after them you can build bridges across incomprehension and chaos. But when they get their corners knocked off, they're no good anymore…I don't think writers are sacred, but words are. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#55Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/28/15
Posted: 6/30/15 at 10:43pm

Jnb, I literally have NO idea what you just said. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#56Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/28/15
Posted: 7/1/15 at 1:24am

I enjoyed my time at Something Rotten, certainly. But I am surprised it's such a hit. I mean it has no stars, no source material. What is selling it to these crowds? I know it's a hit with industry folk, but we're not the ones paying $100 for it. I paid $37 and I don't need to see it again. It's a fine show, and I'm not mad about it. I enjoyed it, and I'm happy to see original (or original-ish musicals) surviving on Broadway like this and Fun Home. So hats off to them. I just wish I knew WHY people were flocking to this? I guess word of mouth?

A1st
#57Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/28/15
Posted: 7/1/15 at 7:40am

In the broadway community, I'm pretty sure that Brian d arcy James and Christian Borle are both considered to be stars.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#58Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/28/15
Posted: 7/1/15 at 8:31am

A musical can't succeed selling to the Broadway community.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

somechrysanthemumtea Profile Photo
somechrysanthemumtea
#59Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/28/15
Posted: 7/1/15 at 8:35am

The Weisslers wouldn't close Chicago now, not when it's still turning a profit a majority of the time. 

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#60Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/28/15
Posted: 7/1/15 at 9:00am

Yes, I agree.  I cannot imagine Broadway without "Chicago".  

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#61Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/28/15
Posted: 7/1/15 at 10:08am

Broadway just didn't exist before 1996

jnb9872 Profile Photo
jnb9872
#62Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/28/15
Posted: 7/1/15 at 10:14am

There was that blip in the '70s where it existed, though. Sort of like a prelude.

Words don't deserve that kind of malarkey. They're innocent, neutral, precise, standing for this, describing that, meaning the other, so if you look after them you can build bridges across incomprehension and chaos. But when they get their corners knocked off, they're no good anymore…I don't think writers are sacred, but words are. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.