pixeltracker

Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread- Page 3

Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#50Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/1/15 at 5:00pm

Rush? Is that new? Because I know they have a cancellation line but that's about it, so you'd be paying full price.

cjmclaughlin10
#51Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/1/15 at 5:03pm

i would be shocked if there is a rush line for this... They already sold seats for $25 when they first went on sale. 

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#52Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/1/15 at 5:05pm

I also didn't know merch was a thing at these events. Can anyone report back on that tonight?

SantanaLopez Profile Photo
SantanaLopez
#53Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/1/15 at 5:07pm

"Rush? Is that new? Because I know they have a cancellation line but that's about it, so you'd be paying full price."

Oh, I'm sorry. Yes, I meant cancellation line. I don't mind paying full price. Thanks for the correction.

Wanky!

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#54Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/1/15 at 5:07pm

If they're holding tickets for people who make a $475 "donation" to Encores then I can bet you they're not selling those tickets at any kind of rush price.

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

cjmclaughlin10
#55Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/1/15 at 5:09pm

just called City Center purely out of curiosity...  They said there was definitely not a rush line.

surprisingly he said there wasn't a cancelation line either because "we don't do cancelations".  I clarified and asked if there was anywhere to line up and pay full price and he repeated "we don't do cancelations"

IDK if merch is a thing, thats why i asked the question

Updated On: 7/1/15 at 05:09 PM

Jordan Catalano
#56Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/1/15 at 5:12pm

That's very...odd.

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#57Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/1/15 at 8:18pm

I Know there is always a window card for Encores! Productions, but I think that's it.

LightsOut90
#58Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/1/15 at 10:11pm

There is a magnet, a window card, and a white shirt which has all 3 poster together for the 3 shows on it.

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#59Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/1/15 at 10:51pm

I'm back from tonight's performance and what a joyous evening it was!! The whole thing elated me from start to finish.

First off, there has been so much publicity about the casting of Jake and Ellen Greene's return to Audrey that I was completely unaware that THE ENTIRE ORIGINAL RADIO FROM CAROLINE, OR CHANGE REUNITED TO PLAY CHIFFON, CRYSTAL AND RONNETTE!!!!!!!! (I assume we can thank Tesori for this.)

After despising If There Is I Haven't Found It Yet and not really caring for Constellations, it was wonderful to see Jake shine in fun material. He is a strong singer and he really nailed the character as well, holding his own with Greene, which is no easy task.

Greene was everything I could have hoped for and then some. Her entrance applause was overwhelming and every damn line reading was perfection, and I mean perfection. Suddenly Seymour was so euphoric that I wouldn't be surprised to find out people were fainting in the aisles. I welled up during Somewhere That's Green; really no one else should ever attempt to sing this song again. All future productions should let Audrey lip sync to Greene singing the number. I feel like her performance catapulted into my top ten favorites of all time. Astounding and outstanding.

Now if Encores gave us a one night only benefit of Rachael Lily Rosenbloom I really might die and go to heaven!

Dick Scanlan's direction was excellent, especially the way he handled the plants. I much preferred this staging than some of the more literal plants I've seen in various productions.

The band, or course, sounded great.

I wouldn't change a thing.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

Kitzka
#60Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/1/15 at 11:06pm

Thanks for posting the detailed review. I'm seeing it tomorrow at the matinee. Can't wait. 

Does anyone know the run time for the wed night show?

gstrus2 Profile Photo
gstrus2
#61Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/1/15 at 11:55pm

Blown away. An unforgettable night at NY City Center. Ellen Greene was magnificent, she IS Audrey, there is no other way to describe it. I grew up listening to her sing these songs and it was truly like a dream to see her 3 feet away doing them. Jake was surprisingly good as well, he fit the role better than I thought he would, and his vocals really impressed me. Glad I have a ticket to tomorrow's matinee as well, if you can find a ticket. GO.

broadwayboy223
#62Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/2/15 at 12:14am

I hope some kind soul records this!

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#63Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/2/15 at 12:16am

That would be illegal. Unless you mean professionally. Cause then, yes!

Starship
#64Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/2/15 at 12:36am

Just heard audio of Gyllenhaal singing in the show...boy can sing!

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#65Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/2/15 at 12:57am

A magical evening in the theater. Ellen Greene's Audrey is eternal. Flubs and all, Gyllenhaal should be doing musical theater a lot in the future.. He has the acting and, especially, the vocal chops. Eddie Cooper was terrific. Very fun staging ideas!

The only underwhelming performer was Joe Grifasi as Mr. Mushnik, but then again, it's not as meaty a part as the others.

But when it's said and done, it was magical. Thank you Howard Ashman. (And, of course, Alan Menken, but this was Howard's night...and Ellen's.)

Jordan Catalano
#66Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/2/15 at 1:06am

Oh my God.

OH MY GOD.

That was EVERYTHING. I mean, there are just no words. Well there are actually three words - ELLEN. F*CKING. GREENE. 

How many times in your life do you get to see a legendary role played by the legend who created it? From the second she walked on that stage she commanded it and had the audience in her hand. Someone said last night that you could hear a pin drop during "Somewhere That's Green", and you really could. In a filled three thousand seat theater, every soul in there was transfixed watching this character we've known for years, like we've never seen her before. Tears streaming, hands hurting from applauding so much, it was magic. And don't even get me started on "Suddenly Seymour". The standing ovation after that song was beyond well deserved. 

And y'all know how I love me some Jake. He was fantastic. He can sing wonderfully and there's no excuse for him to not do musicals after this. But the evening really is all about Ellen Greene. I still just can't believe I got to see her do this. And that I'll get to see her do it again tomorrow. 

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#67Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/2/15 at 1:41am

Jordan basically said it all. Ellen got the ovations, Ellen gave the performance, Ellen got the last curtain call that was too moving for her to take (Jake knew SHE was the star and gave her her moment), Ellen melted the years away. Ellen as Audrey is eternal. Howard, wherever you may be...

Jordan Catalano
#68Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/2/15 at 1:44am

After years of watching other people try to be her, to actually SEE her. I mean, fuuuuuuuuuuuck. 

LightsOut90
#69Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/2/15 at 2:05am

anyone attempt the stage door? curious how insane it was...

Jordan Catalano
#70Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/2/15 at 2:11am

Ellen was really the only one who came out. Everyone else left through different exits. And it took her about 2 hours to come out. 

LightsOut90
#71Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/2/15 at 2:18am

were there a lot of folks waiting?

Jordan Catalano
#72Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/2/15 at 2:33am

Oh yes. 

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#73Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/2/15 at 7:23am

I agree with all of the ecstatic reviews for ELLEN GREENE, and echo the surprise for what a wonderful musical theater performer Gyllenhaal is. I was particularly happy with how great he sounded on "Feed Me (Git It)."

Since I can't add anything to the praise for those two, I wanted to second Whizzer's comment about the presentation of the plants, particularly "adult" Audrey II. I was thinking on my way home that Audrey II is a fantastic part for an actor, but they almost never get the chance to really physically act and interact with the other characters onstage like Eddie Cooper does in this production. I think it was a delight watching him tonight, and am glad that was the decision they made. Also where can I get me an office chair upholstered with indoor/outdoor carpet?

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#74Encores! Little Shop of Horrors Review Thread
Posted: 7/2/15 at 7:59am

Gaaaah, why can't I be in NYC right now? D: