pixeltracker

School of Rock marquee goes up- Page 3

School of Rock marquee goes up

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#50School of Rock marquee goes up
Posted: 7/8/15 at 5:23pm

"Pinto telling the truth will happen the same day Rex Re..., I mean, After Eight begins being positive about anything."

LOL

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#51School of Rock marquee goes up
Posted: 7/8/15 at 5:44pm

LOL isn't he just so hilarious im laughing my ass off right now Jordan that was really great keep it up!

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#52School of Rock marquee goes up
Posted: 7/8/15 at 5:54pm

My LOL was all about the Rex Reed reference, and not you, Philly

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#53School of Rock marquee goes up
Posted: 7/8/15 at 6:02pm

Actually, knowing ALW's track record in the things he says, I don't have a hard time believing Philly this time. ALW has a strange habit of praising whatever is the ~newest~ aspect of his shows, a la Sierra Boggess and Nicole Scherzinger and Gerard Butler, so it's not too far-fetched to think that he would be uptalking Broadway productions of his London shows.

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

BonnieBanks Profile Photo
BonnieBanks
#54School of Rock marquee goes up
Posted: 7/8/15 at 6:08pm

Some here will see a show over and over again or will see a revival because someone they like is in it. The only way I would ever see Gypsy again is if Merman came back from the dead and did . Enough is enough with constantly reviving it.

I happen to agree. While I adored the Patti Lupone revival and liked (but didn't love) The Imelda revival, I do feel that the show needs to take a bit of a break from the West End and Broadway. Imelda is wonderful in the role, but she alone is not reason enough to transfer the show to States. 

Princeton Returns Profile Photo
Princeton Returns
#55School of Rock marquee goes up
Posted: 7/9/15 at 1:01am

Can I just say Bonniebanks is not speaking for all brits. 

If Brits didn't love Cats or CATS why did it sell out the Palladium last year and is doing so again this year and could have sustained a longer run (regardless of grizabella). It also does very well on tour. And whilst, yes, seeing it for the first time was special, people knew what they were getting for decades afterwards so that argument doesn't hold up.

Also, Sierra Boggess is held in no special regard over here, sure she has her fans within the small theatre world but outside of that no one cares or has any idea who she is. Personally I'd never say she was a 'great actress' anyway, all she's done in london is generic doe eyed acting

And that School Of Rock logo is ugly

And Gypsy needs to take a break from the West End, the show that hasn't been seen in 40 years?  Seriously?!

Updated On: 7/9/15 at 01:01 AM

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#56School of Rock marquee goes up
Posted: 7/9/15 at 9:35am

"Laurence Conner. Who shouldn't be allowed to direct traffic, never mind musical theatre."

This is one of the best quotes I have ever read on BWW!

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#57School of Rock marquee goes up
Posted: 7/9/15 at 10:32am

For some NY theatergoers, Gypsy should be constantly revived no matter who is in it. We have a ton of quality shows that are never revived while a group of 10 or 15  are revived ad nauseaum.

Poster Emeritus

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#58School of Rock marquee goes up

For some NY theatergoers, Gypsy should be constantly revived no matter who is in it. We have a ton of quality shows that are never revived while a group of 10 or 15  are revived ad nauseaum.

Poster Emeritus

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#59School of Rock marquee goes up

Poster Emeritus

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#60School of Rock marquee goes up
Posted: 7/9/15 at 1:15pm

You are more than willing to sit through the 3 or 4 revivals of the same show. In the West End, I can't say it's the same thing.  

I can.  Because the West End certainly has its share of revival favorites.  Grease?  Joseph?  Oliver?  The first ever revivals of Sunset Boulevard, Cats, Miss Saigon, Aspects of Love, Merrily We Roll Along...  And the West End has far more revival tours that stop for a limited run in the West End than Broadway.

But the copy of something is almost never quite as jaw-dropping.  The horizon of expectation is completely different in a replica production.

So...you're saying that I felt entirely different than I did when I saw the Broadway productions of Les Miz, Phantom, Miss Saigon and War Horse?  What was my "horizon of expectation"?  Did the millions who had never seen Cats and marveled at the Broadway (or any other foreign) production simply manufacture their response in order to compare it to a production they have never seen?  A subsequent production has ZERO relation to the original when discussing the reaction of those who have only ever seen the subsequent production and no means of comparison.  How you feel about subsequent productions and/or replacement casts is completely irrelevant to the experience of those seeing any production or cast for the first time.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#61School of Rock marquee goes up
Posted: 7/9/15 at 1:27pm

"Also, Sierra Boggess is held in no special regard over here, sure she has her fans within the small theatre world but outside of that no one cares or has any idea who she is. Personally I'd never say she was a 'great actress' anyway, all she's done in london is generic doe eyed acting"

People really overestimate Sierra Boggess' "star power." The only ones who really know or care about her work are those familiar with her ~Oh So Amazing Christine~, AKA her Phangirls. (Yeah yeah yeah, she's done a few other things, but a majority of those roles weren't really reaching too far out of her comfort zone, a la Les Mis, and she always seems to wind up going back to Phantom.)

I was thrilled when I heard that she was doing It Shoulda Been You, because at last it gave her the chance to kind of break through the "ALW's Darling" mold she had let encrust around her persona (because she is, after all, pretty talented, just not the best Christine despite what ALW likes to say), but then I heard that she was doing School of Rock and sighed and went, "Oh, look...another ALW show. Of course."

Updated On: 7/9/15 at 01:27 PM

Mister Matt
#62School of Rock marquee goes up
Posted: 7/9/15 at 1:38pm

I would think she'd be more well-known in the US for The Little Mermaid than as the Vegas Christine in Phantom or as Christine in Love Never Dies in the West End.  And why begrudge her being cast as her second ALW character in her third ALW show?  I saw her in Love Never Dies and she was actually quite wonderful.  Far better than anyone I'd seen as the same character in Phantom.

Updated On: 7/9/15 at 01:38 PM

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#63School of Rock marquee goes up
Posted: 7/9/15 at 1:42pm

Everyone's entitled to their opinion.

Brian07663NJ
#64School of Rock marquee goes up
Posted: 7/9/15 at 1:53pm

Don't most composers have their "go to" actress (or actor) when they write musicals?

Sondheim = Peters

Kander/Ebb = Rivera

Herman = Lansbury

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#65School of Rock marquee goes up
Posted: 7/9/15 at 1:58pm

They do, I just think that Sierra has more potential to be doing things other than ALW shows. (Of course, maybe I'm misjudging. Maybe this could be a good breaking-the-mold performance for her despite being an ALW show, but only time will tell.)

Mister Matt
#66School of Rock marquee goes up
Posted: 7/9/15 at 2:05pm

Everyone's entitled to their opinion.

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#67School of Rock marquee goes up
Posted: 7/9/15 at 2:07pm

Exactly!

Mister Matt
#68School of Rock marquee goes up
Posted: 7/9/15 at 3:01pm

Precisely!

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#69School of Rock marquee goes up
Posted: 7/9/15 at 4:31pm

I can't get the songs out of my head!! I love Stick it to the Man, and You're in the Band!

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

A1st
#70School of Rock marquee goes up
Posted: 12/22/16 at 10:56pm

Sorry to bump this thread but wasn't sure where else to post about this. Took this picture as I walked by tonight- when did they change the marquee to white? (Sorry if this was already discussed and I missed it!)

School of Rock marquee goes up

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#71School of Rock marquee goes up
Posted: 12/23/16 at 12:01am

I am guessing because it's more Christmas-ish?

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

Golenboybway
#72School of Rock marquee goes up
Posted: 12/23/16 at 12:06am

I think they changed it to white because it's more eye popping and grabs your attention better

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#73School of Rock marquee goes up
Posted: 12/23/16 at 12:07am

It's been white for a while.