pixeltracker

Has anyone seen a Broadway musical over 100 times?- Page 2

Has anyone seen a Broadway musical over 100 times?

ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#25Has anyone seen a Broadway musical over 100 times?
Posted: 7/10/15 at 7:27am

Pippin 6x

Matilda 2x

Curious Incident 2x

Mamma Mia 3x

Hedwig 2x

Ave Q 3x

In The Heights 4x

Billy Elliot 3x

Hair 2x

RaiseYouUp Profile Photo
RaiseYouUp
#26Has anyone seen a Broadway musical over 100 times?
Posted: 7/10/15 at 7:49am

There are definitely people out there who have seen Wicked over 100 times 

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#27Has anyone seen a Broadway musical over 100 times?
Posted: 7/10/15 at 8:07am

Why?

Poster Emeritus

asmith0307
#28Has anyone seen a Broadway musical over 100 times?
Posted: 7/10/15 at 8:19am

A sequence of last minute decisions led me to see Kinky Boots 3 times in a week (a 4th of July weekend). I literally saw every cast member (swings included) perform in that span - most in multiple roles.

I regret nothing, but I probably won't do it again.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#29Has anyone seen a Broadway musical over 100 times?
Posted: 7/10/15 at 8:35am

'The phrase " get a life " comes to mind"

There are probably others besides me here who understand the phenomenon of belonging to a group who identify so strongly with a production that going to it becomes their life.

I was that way with the film Rocky Horror Picture Show and if I weren't working with Hedwig and seeing it every night gratis, I may have been part of that following also.

So, yes, we "had a life" and I don't regret a minute of it.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

1971FolliesFan Profile Photo
1971FolliesFan
#30Has anyone seen a Broadway musical over 100 times?
Posted: 7/10/15 at 8:36am

There was a man who saw the original production of Follies 67 times!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#31Has anyone seen a Broadway musical over 100 times?
Posted: 7/10/15 at 8:51am

"As much as I love musical theatre, I cannot fathom seeing the same show multiple times. ESPECIALLY if it's the same production. I can understand that if (for instance) you saw the OBP of A Little Night Music and then wanted to see the revival X amount of years later. That makes sense. But I see no point in doing so on a bigger scale than that. To me, a lot of the magic is lost."

Do you never read books more than once?  Or see a film more than once? Or how about visit a work of art? How about falling in love, having great sex or e enough ordering a fantastic meal?

Here's some reasons why I might see anything again:

Enjoyment

Satisfaction

Look at it from a different perspective

Notice things I missed the first time

Sentimentality

To enjoy through another's eyes

To share the experience

To see an ubderstudy/replacement

I'll admit, sometimes a second viewing is a let down (Billy Elliot, Wicked, as examples). But if I feel passionate about something once, why WOULDN'T I want to experience that again?

Of the currently running Broadway shows this is what I've seen more than once:

Fun Home

Curious Incident

Gentleman's Guide

Finding Neverland (between NY & Boston)

Mormon

Wicked

I would guess that I see less than half of the shows I see more than once....and very few if those more than twice.  I have no qualms about any of those choices.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#32Has anyone seen a Broadway musical over 100 times?
Posted: 7/10/15 at 9:01am

And to expand on my  post - Besides enjoying the production each time, making friends within the following becomes part of the "life." You're in with a group who shares your interest in the show and some long lasting friends are made that way. It's the basic message of the show that draws you in, and each time you see it, you feel good about that message as it applies to your life. 

The experience is life confirming and instrumental in building self esteem, I found. It's all positive.

neonlightsxo
#33Has anyone seen a Broadway musical over 100 times?
Posted: 7/10/15 at 9:21am

To the OP: why is the threshold for musicals 100, yet you just ask if someone has seen a "play" multiple times? I have seen both plays and musicals multiple times.

HighFlyingAdored97 Profile Photo
HighFlyingAdored97
#34Has anyone seen a Broadway musical over 100 times?
Posted: 7/10/15 at 9:25am

Wicked (x3)

Mary Poppins (x2)

Annie (x2)

Phantom (x3)

Cinderella (x2)

Matilda (x4)

Pippin (x2)

Les Miserables (x2)

Hedwig (x3)

I see shows more than once if I enjoyed them or if I want to see a new cast member/understudy etc. Matilda is my favorite show so I've seen it the most. 

"The city seen from the Queensboro Bridge is always the city seen for the first time, in its first wild promise of all the mystery and the beauty in the world." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

frekles123
#35Has anyone seen a Broadway musical over 100 times?
Posted: 7/10/15 at 10:12am

Thanks so much for all your posts! I live in Australia and am only able to get to Broadway around once a year so I really appreciate your time. Thanks especially to Tag and A1st for the article links :)

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#36Has anyone seen a Broadway musical over 100 times?
Posted: 7/10/15 at 10:16am

A friend of mine has seen Hedwig over 10 times. She sees it every time there's a new Hedwig, then she sees it again for their final performance. Bonus viewing for when she went to Lena Hall's final show. Crazy!

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#37Has anyone seen a Broadway musical over 100 times?
Posted: 7/10/15 at 10:26am

"'The phrase " get a life " comes to mind"
There are probably others besides me here who understand the phenomenon of belonging to a group who identify so strongly with a production that going to it becomes their life.
I was that way with the film Rocky Horror Picture Show and if I weren't working with Hedwig and seeing it every night gratis, I may have been part of that following also.
So, yes, we "had a life" and I don't regret a minute of it."

I agree with all of that Jane. Most of us here either work in the industry, are theater enthusiasts, or both.

I would never belittle someone for seeing a show over and over again. Rather, I applaud their passion.

And theater is ephemeral. Once it's gone, it's gone. So wanting to grab every chance to see a show while it's here is something I imagine we all can relate to.

....but the world goes 'round

ErinDillyFan Profile Photo
ErinDillyFan
#38Has anyone seen a Broadway musical over 100 times?
Posted: 7/10/15 at 10:36am

I have only seen 4 productions twice.

It is a money and time thing for me.  I probably would see a favorite show 5 or 6 times if I could afford it.  As Rita Rudner said, "I can't imagine doing even something that felt good for 24 hours."

The most eye opening thing was seeing the tour of "Legally Blonde" in St. Louis a few months after seeing it in Detroit and finding how much they had changed and getting to ask at a talk back after the show why the creative team was spending so much time change music, lyrics and dialog on a show like it was a pre-broadway run.

iluvtheatertrash
#39Has anyone seen a Broadway musical over 100 times?
Posted: 7/10/15 at 10:44am

There's a girl who saw ONCE about 200 times and WEDDING SINGER about 100, I believe.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

mariel9 Profile Photo
mariel9
#40Has anyone seen a Broadway musical over 100 times?
Posted: 7/10/15 at 11:03am

There's at least one Hedhead who's seen the current Broadway production 100 times. There was another one who was around 60, I think, near the end of JCM's run.

I've seen Hedwig 18 times, 11 of them with JCM, and my only regret is that I didn't see JCM more. I'm seeing Fun Home for a second time tonight and will probably try to see it again at least once.

Updated On: 7/11/15 at 11:03 AM

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#41Has anyone seen a Broadway musical over 100 times?
Posted: 7/10/15 at 11:21am

Dramamama, I only just now saw your reply to my statement.

To answer your question- granted, yes, I will watch a film more than once. But I feel like (in that regard) live performance is a completely different animal. Film is static. But theatre happens in the moment, you experience it, and it can't be captured that way again. You're left with a powerful memory, be it positive or negative. And that, to me, will be your memory of it forever- this is what makes it SPECIAL. The more times you see it, the more clouded the memories get...

I don't know if I'm making much sense here, but it's hard to put this particular opinion into words.

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

adam.peterson44 Profile Photo
adam.peterson44
#42Has anyone seen a Broadway musical over 100 times?
Posted: 7/10/15 at 11:42am

I agree with all the reasons that Dramamama said, and now as i age, i have to add one more to the list:  going to see the same show because although my collection of programs tells me that i saw it 30 years ago, my aging memory has no recollection of it, and so i want to see it again to remember what the show is.  :)

More than half of shows that i have seen, I have only seen once, and shows that i have seen once or twice probably make up the vast majority, but a handful of shows resonate strongly with me, and i'm willing to see those multiple times.  I've only two shows 20 times and 1 28 times, and two others in double-digits, and all others fewer than that.  But that is literally over the course of more than 30 years of theatre-going, including student and community theatre productions - it adds up when you get to be old enough. 

Wee Thomas2 Profile Photo
Wee Thomas2
#43Has anyone seen a Broadway musical over 100 times?
Posted: 7/10/15 at 11:53am

I fear my numbers if we lived in NYC.

Hedwig x 6

Hand to God x 3 (but to be fair, was in three different theaters)

sorano916 Profile Photo
sorano916
#44Has anyone seen a Broadway musical over 100 times?
Posted: 7/10/15 at 12:30pm

I might go to see a show once or twice with the regular cast but if I feel strongly about ensemble members who stand out or leads who are a bit lacking, I will go back to see understudies.

I've also seen on particular show (over 50 times) but that includes pre-Broadway, Broadway (various versions with cast changes), 1st National Tour (Equity), and the two legs of the 2nd National Tour (Non-Equity).

To me, I find that it's a little bit harder to see a play multiple times compared to a musical. I think the only play that I've seen at least 8 times was "Peter and the Starcatcher" but that includes Broadway and New World Stages. "Jerusalem" was another play that I think I saw 5 times...

Sometimes, I feel, that I go see a show multiple times because I'm comfortable with it. I know the plot so each time I go back I can pay attention to sometime different that I didn't really take notice to before. And to see a show more than once, there is the option of rush or lotto or just a discount code (for those who aren't privy to comp tickets).

brdway411
#45Has anyone seen a Broadway musical over 100 times?
Posted: 7/10/15 at 12:32pm

I have seen many shows more than once. Being older, and having seen the original productions of some recent revivals so some numbers are a little high.

Pippin over 60 (original Broadway, on the road, revival)

Hairspray over 30

Godspell over 20 (original and revival)

Hair 15 (original and revival)

Book Of Mormon 13

Les Mis 10 (original cast, revivals)

In the Heights 8

Once 7

Kinky Boots 6

Phantom 5 times (original and road)

Cats 4 (original and road)

Ave Q  4 (Broadway and NWS)

Hedwig 4 all with NPH

Prisilla 5 times

Matilda 2 (1 London, 1 NYC) 

Edited to add shows I have forgotten about. 

Updated On: 7/10/15 at 12:32 PM

ZannaDo
#46Has anyone seen a Broadway musical over 100 times?
Posted: 7/10/15 at 2:38pm

"What about that insane lady who always had to have "her seat" for every NEXT TO NORMAL performance?"

I've heard about this. Supposedly, she purchased a full price ticket to the show the day after the Tonys and stayed out overnight to rush anyway because she had to have "her seat". She sold her ticket and refused to go when she found out Alice was out.

Drewski Vanderbilt Profile Photo
Drewski Vanderbilt
#47Has anyone seen a Broadway musical over 100 times?
Posted: 7/10/15 at 2:53pm

One Girl went to every Sunday Matinee performance of Spring Awakening, I think her name was Rose or Rosie.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#48Has anyone seen a Broadway musical over 100 times?
Posted: 7/10/15 at 3:11pm

At the Jane, we had a dedicated fan who saw the show over 400 times, in the same seat. The seat was reserved for her and she eventually received a discounted price every night.

The night of her 400th, we had a ceremony. I had stitched a seat cover with her  name on it in Fuscia glitter, and we had someone from the show ceremoniously walk her to her seat. I think we gave her flowers, also. Great fun!

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#49Has anyone seen a Broadway musical over 100 times?
Posted: 7/10/15 at 3:35pm

COMPANY (original production): 4 times

FOLLIES (original production): 5 times

A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC(original production): 6 times

Videos