Hamilton Previews

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#150Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 10:41am

"It's a silly musical. It will not cure cancer."

It is an odd impulse to negate people experiencing joy, which also doesn't cure cancer.

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#151Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 10:48am

neon, I didn't see it downtown, but thanks for the song title. I really loved Satisfied and know it will be on constant repeat when the cast recording comes out. 

I really do think more of the lyrics will sink on a second viewing.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#152Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 10:54am

"WOW. I have never see so many heads explode on a thread. Relax. It's a silly musical. It will not cure cancer, but you know, if some of you donated to a cancer fund the outrageous money you waste seeing these silly musicals again and again, a cure might come quicker."

What a bitter show queen you are.

....but the world goes 'round

Consistency
#153Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 10:56am

It's exceedingly ridiculous to call people out for being passionate about a Broadway show on a message board dedicated to... Broadway shows.

If you're so bothered by other people "wasting" their time and money on "silly" things like musicals, perhaps you'd find yourself more at home on a different message board? I hear SanctimoniousJoykillsforCancerCures.com has some great discussions. 

Updated On: 7/14/15 at 10:56 AM

neonlightsxo
#154Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 10:57am

The lyrics really are phenomenal. Outstanding.

Side note, does anyone know if they sold standing room yesterday?

ChiTheaterFan
#155Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 11:19am

"WOW. I have never see so many heads explode on a thread. Relax. It's a silly musical. It will not cure cancer, but you know, if some of you donated to a cancer fund the outrageous money you waste seeing these silly musicals again and again, a cure might come quicker."

I know right?  Let's just get rid of the arts. What's the point?  

Sincerely,

a person in a STEM profession who credits much of her success to the confidence- and character-building experience of participating in silly musicals when she was young, after being inspired to do so by seeing some silly musicals on Broadway

I usually don't feed the trolls in these discussions but I just can't stand when people assert or imply the arts are not important. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#156Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 11:23am

And lets tell folks WITH cancer not to seek out diversions to their unfortunate predicament.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Anshel2 Profile Photo
Anshel2
#157Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 11:40am

J52, Did you see A New Brain with Groff and his lovely shower scene with Aaron Lazar?  Worth the price of admission.

Updated On: 7/14/15 at 11:40 AM

JayG  2 Profile Photo
JayG 2
#158Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 11:56am

And your inane comments continue.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#159Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 12:11pm

So, with AfterEight's recent absence on the board, have you taken up the mantle of resident condescending sneermonger with a startling lack of self-awareness?

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#160Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 12:25pm

That's rich coming from someone who uses the Playbill from one of the most notorious Broadway flops as their avatar!

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#161Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 12:26pm

"And your inane comments continue. "

as do yours...

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#162Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 12:46pm

I'm sorry, were we supposed to be moved by your Broadway-shaming so that we stopped talking about Hamilton?

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#163Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 1:16pm

I'd like to think that After Eight's absence is the result of his finally realizing that if the theatre was making him so miserable, it was time to move on and devote himself more fully to his needlepoint. And I hope his "replacement" is a quicker study. 

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#164Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 1:22pm

Is anyone going to tonight's performance?

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#165Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 1:23pm

And I hope his "replacement" is a quicker study.

Oh, he's not.  He's always been like this.  AfterHate just stole his thunder for a while.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#166Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 1:25pm

While I normally can resist adding to a tangent, not always. 
I really enjoyed making a Sondheim reference a week or so ago without seeing the inevitable A8 sneer in reply.

Margo319
#167Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 1:30pm

SamHoffman, how was the view from the first row?  How high was the stage?

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#168Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 1:31pm

^^^^ I would like to know this too!

(I think A8 went away after we realized that he's either Rex Reed or the equally hateful John Simon. I have my money on Simon.)

Updated On: 7/14/15 at 01:31 PM

jessejaehoon
#169Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 1:34pm

"Is anyone going to tonight's performance?"

I'm going tonight, Imma be in the mezzanine! I'm gonna try and find out how plausible standing room is. That's a mission.

adam.peterson44 Profile Photo
adam.peterson44
#170Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 1:38pm

JayG2, the only logical assumption about someone who would post such a sentiment would be that you are a cancer researcher devoting all of your time towards finding a cure for cancer.  And yet, here you are on a message board spending some time reading and posting about theatre (and theatre fans) and not spending all your time searching for said cure. 

So instead of coming on here urging others to do what you yourself are not doing (i.e. spending all available time and money on one cause), perhaps you should go back to the lab and get back to work on that cure, since you don't see any value in regenerating one's spirit with joy/catharsis/other human emotions to make it easier to go back to work with the soul replenished.  Meanwhile, those who spend our lives working long hours on making the world a better place will continue to seek nourishment for the soul/spirit during our limited downtime.    Good luck with your research!

SamHoffman523
#171Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 1:39pm

Front row view was perfectly fine. I was all the way on the side and pretty much wasn't obstructed at all. I was right next to the drum set though, and coupled with the fact that the audio wasn't perfect last night, I did miss a good amount of the lyrics. But overall it was fantastic. Not nearly as bad as the neck-craning I had to do at the St. James theater for Something Rotten.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#172Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 1:42pm

Thanks for the info, Sam! I hope hope hope and pray pray pray they get the sound sorted out. That's my biggest worry now!

Of course, I'm also worried that sitting in Row Q on the side will be too far away, and that the show will have lost its magic in the translation to Broadway. But those are minor.

Zzk6126
#173Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 2:24pm

Asked at the box office today and they said they would do standing room after the show opened

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#174Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 2:50pm

"The lyrics really are phenomenal. Outstanding.

Side note, does anyone know if they sold standing room yesterday? "

I believe they did. 

I was there last night. It was the third time I had seen the show overall (first preview plus one more at the Public), but WOW. I don't know what I was expecting, but that wasn't it. It was like being at a rock concert. An unforgettable night for sure. 

My only quip is that I wish they would've cut "Dear Theodosia" entirely (the reprise was cut). It's a gorgeous song, and I understand the feeling that it humanizes Burr, but it's completely unnecessary. 

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234