pixeltracker

Stop dressing like crap!- Page 3

Stop dressing like crap!

skies Profile Photo
skies
#50Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/29/15 at 3:18am

A hot humid day I can certainly see the logic of tee shirt and shorts, so I don't judge, but personally I cant do it.  A polo shirt and khaki pants is casual and comfortable enough for me.

However the a***holes in the designer suits texting during the performance , just want to throw them out.

"when I’m on stage I see the abyss and have to overcome it by telling myself it’s only a play." - Helen Mirren

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#51Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/29/15 at 3:58am

I don't give a **** what anybody wears honestly. As long as they're clean. I didn't pay over $100 to give a **** what other people are wearing and I'm not wearing my highest quality clothes to go sweat it out with 1500 other people in a darkened theatre. Perhaps people need to unclench. You want to dress up? Be my guest, but my god it is not the 50s anymore. Theatre is not a rich people thing to do anymore. Get over it.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#52Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/29/15 at 8:02am

"Theatre is not a rich people thing to do anymore. Get over it."

And neither is dressing nicely.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

TweetyPie2 Profile Photo
TweetyPie2
#53Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/29/15 at 9:15am

If I lived in New York, I would dress nicely for the theater. But I live in D.C., which means I have to travel up by train and schlep around the city, sometimes in hot temperatures. And I have to carry anything I will need for the day. That means cargo shorts in summer, and cargo pants in winter. Sorry, folks.

What I want to know is, who is TweetyPie1?

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#54Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/29/15 at 9:36am

I always wear pants, sometimes a pair of chinos and sometimes a pair of dark wash jeans, and a button down shirt when I go to the theatre.  I personally dislike "dressing down" when I go, because I still like to feel like seeing shows is a special activity.  Of course, though, I don't impose my personal preference on others or those who I go to shows with.  Two of the three people who went with me last weekend wore shorts, but they all looked nice and were respectful during the show -- that's all that matters to me!

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#55Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/29/15 at 9:39am

This has absolutely nothing to do with how dark a theater is, or what someone else thinks of you, (it's what you think of yourself!) or how much money you have, or how much a ticket costs, or what the weather is.

This is purely a reflection of an individual's attitude towards certain life events and what we deem is the "right" thing to do - a personal judgment that we all make.

I think it  has a lot to do with the times we live in. Certainly we have come to a more casual approach to dress in all areas. 

For instance, what would you wear to court, if you need to appear there? Do you have respect for the justice system or  not? I watch too many Judge Judy's, but you'll see the spectrum of dress ranging from torn tank tops, unkempt hair, etc. to more formal attire such as suits and ties. It's all about your individual attitude, and like it or not, people will make judgments about you based on how you look. So, "suit yourself" (pun intended.)

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
Updated On: 7/29/15 at 09:39 AM

lunch
#56Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/29/15 at 10:20am

"... I wore shorts to a Broadway show this evening and I plan on wear shorts tomorrow night as well. I'd bet that 90% of the audience tonight was comprised of tourists in outfits that I'm sure would simply horrify Vincentelli. Yet, not a SINGLE cell phone went off the entire performance and I noticed the light from neither a texter nor tweeter. The behavior is what's important, not the clothing. 
 "

There is a large range of what people wear to Broadway shows.

I would be considered a tourist when I'm in New York for a show and I would never dream of wearing shorts to the theater, regardless of the weather. I usually go with business casual or a little nicer because for me going to the theater is a special occasion and I was raised to dress nicely for special occasions as a way to show respect for yourself, for the performers, and for the event. I still follow this lesson because it feels right. I would be embarrassed to show up at the theater in shorts and flip flops.  

I also would never dream of wearing jeans or shorts or a t-shirt to church.

Yes, shorts and t-shirts are more comfortable. So would be pajamas. I make a choice to sacrifice a teeny bit of comfort in order to dress in a way that I think is more respectful. This is entirely my choice.

HOWEVER, I respect the right of those who choose to dress more casually and who choose to wear cargo shorts and a sloganed T-shirt to the theater.  I think they look silly but it does not harm me and I will defend their right to choose that for themselves.  

Updated On: 7/29/15 at 10:20 AM

PJPan
#57Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/29/15 at 10:52am

Regarding a poster above, tickets to a show is not always a luxury item (in the sense of cost - sometimes you see shows for free or cheap discount). That doesn't excuse excessive sloppiness, but theater-going is available to a wider audience these days.

Sometimes I'm coming from work and have dress pants and a button-down. Great.

Sometimes I'm rushing from being stuck in traffic and between running for the train and enduring the weather, I may just throw on nice shorts and a polo/classy tee/casual button-down.

Fashion is personal. It's also comfort. I love wearing sandals in the summer, and they match all of my casual and more formal clothes. It doesn't mean I'm dressing poorly for the theater - it means I'm making myself comfortable since I plan to sit and enjoy an evening of something I love.

smidge
#58Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/29/15 at 10:53am

I'm sure performers are more concerned with asses in seats rather than a person's attire. But there will be always be small minded people who will criticize your outfit no matter what you wear. I heard an older woman comment once on my sneakers in the theatre. Now if I was a bitch I would point out that a lot of sneakers cost more than her botched facelift. But I would never....

Broadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
#59Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/29/15 at 11:14am

I agree about comfort being an issue. I don't like dressing up and I don't work in a field where I have to dress up either so I'm always more comfortable in a t-shirt and shorts or jeans. 

I find so many of the theatres to have such uncomfortable seats and leg room so I want to at least be in comfortable clothes especially if it's a long show. 

Updated On: 7/29/15 at 11:14 AM

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#60Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/29/15 at 12:02pm

"I'm sure performers are more concerned with asses in seats rather than a person's attire."

hmm, I can't comment on how performers feel about attire, but I have a sneaky suspicion they prefer more respect for their art than they're getting, but anyway, I do think it's about how YOU feel about YOURSELF and the way  you look.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#61Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/29/15 at 12:33pm

I don't care if it's "class-is-is-is-i-cist." These people look like pigs and should be shot on entry to the theater.

Stop dressing like crap!

Oh, wait. They're seeing Lez Miz.

Who cares what the F*CK they wear.

smidge
#62Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/29/15 at 1:37pm

I'll stick with Miss Patti Lupone's 5 Rules of theatre etiquette (none of which include clothing) instead of Ms. Vincentelli

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#63Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/29/15 at 1:50pm

All this talk of theatre tickets being a luxury item therefore people should be able to afford nice clothes to attend is such bullsh!t. Theatre is probably my number one expense (with the exception of rent/food). In order to fund this habit I might skimp on some other things like nice clothing. If I want to wear shorts and a t-shirt to the theatre then I will and anyone who has a problem with it can shove it up their @ss. I've heard people make comments about my attire but the amount of care about their opinions are non-existent.

I have the best theatre etiquette of probably 99% of the people in attendance and what I'm wearing isn't distracting anyone from the performance they're seeing.

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

MegInManhattan
#64Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/29/15 at 2:13pm

Yes, there are a variety of pricepoints for a theatre ticket these days and it can be more accessible. But going to the theatre is still a luxury EXPERIENCE even if you got a cheap ticket. You don't need to be dresses to the 9's, but you should make an effort. A crisp pair of shorts (not cargo) and a polo or other mid-level shirt on a hot day can work. Or a sundress. I get the point about the heat, these clothes are still comfortable and appropriate.

And on cost - these items can be purchased at Forever 21 or Walmart and still look great. You don't need designer clothes to look polished.

When I was young and living in PA we were forced to dress up for the theatre on our class trips to NY, even if we had to wear that outfit all day or bring a nicer pair of shoes to change into. I'm sad to see these days gone.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#65Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/29/15 at 2:30pm

When I got to NYC, it's usually for 3 nights and I pack in as many shows as I can.  Like just a couple of weeks ago, it was during the summer and it was hot, humid and very crowded.  We're doing a lot, seeing a lot, visiting dear friends (hi Jane!) and we may or may not have time to stop at our hotel and change before a show or between shows.  I'm wearing what I'm wearing and others don't like it, they can organize and pay for my trip so that I will appear however they deem appropriate should they fear we may attend the same performance.  Otherwise, I don't give a sh*t how they feel about my clothes nor do I care if people wear cargo shorts, t-shirt or flip-flops.  I'm not there to see them, anyway.  You pass by them in the lobby or see them on their way to/from their seats.  That's it.  So what?

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Consistency
#66Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/29/15 at 2:52pm

I have the money to buy nice clothes. In fact, I already have a closet full of nice clothes for the blessedly rare occasions when I'm called upon to wear them for work or a special event like a wedding. But none of that changes the fact that I find collared shirts exceedingly uncomfortable and have a nearly pathological hatred of them - especially if there's any chance that I'll be breaking a sweat at any point during the day (which is almost inevitable when I'm traipsing around Manhattan.) 

Yeah, I probably wouldn't have done very well in the 1950s. Fortunately (for a wide variety of reasons), it's not the 1950s anymore. 

So yeah, I'll care for myself and my personal well-being by NOT wearing that stuff when I don't absolutely have to. Thanks.  

"I'm sad to see those days gone."

And I thank God that they're over. 

Look - I watch a lot of old movies. I sometimes feel a tinge of nostalgia for the days when seemingly everyone (who could afford to) dressed up for every occasion, even if it was going to the movies or for a plane trip. All those suits and dresses and HATS - I especially love hats - look awfully nice. 

But here we are in the 21st century, and we can no longer safely judge someone because they venture out without their jacket or hat or because they're wearing - GASP! - cargo shorts. Yeah, we (perhaps) lose a little bit of ambience in our public and private places - but it turns out that that's really not much of a loss. 

And, as others have mentioned, I've never noticed ANY correlation between dress and personal behavior. "Dressing up" doesn't actually indicate greater respect for oneself - or for those around you. The person two rows in front of me checking their phone every five minutes or talking loudly to their neighbor is just as likely to be a 60-year old in a tuxedo as a teenager wearing a t-shirt and shorts. And at events where practically everybody does still tend to get dressed up - like the opera - I still see just as much of that boorish behavior. 

Updated On: 7/29/15 at 02:52 PM

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#67Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/29/15 at 3:17pm

All this conversation doesn't get at the real heart of the issue, which is "Everybody should be wearing what wearing what I want them to wear".  Even if a "dress code" of sorts were to be enforced, it still does not take into account personal taste.  Careful what you wish for.  As can already be evidenced at any-theatre-in-the-USA, you will still see plenty of outfits and dresses you'll find even more tacky than any pair of cargo shorts or flip-flops.

And I agree about behavior.  The see-you-next-Tuesday sitting next to me in center orchestra who was texting during the show repeatedly and when asked if she could put her phone away said,  "No", then held her phone up and just started scrolling through screens to intentionally disturb me and my family, then threatened me when I asked her again to stop, was dressed up in a nice dress.  If that family in the Les Mis photo is well-behaved and respectful during the performance.  They can sit by me at every show.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Updated On: 7/29/15 at 03:17 PM

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#68Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/29/15 at 3:40pm

I will reiterate, if I am spending 3 hours in a cramped seat I am NOT wearing a suit.

Quick question: why are shorts seen as unseemly and unsightly and sloppy and not presentable?

As they say, "In olden days a glimpse of stocking was looked on as something shocking but now God knows, anything goes!" And that was 1934 people.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

ZannaDo
#69Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/29/15 at 3:46pm

I just don't get how this is classist? It costs the same amount to buy a sundress or a nice pair of jeans and a blouse at Target as it does to buy casual clothes, for the most part. It doesn't cost a whole lot more money to look presentable vs. looking like you just rolled out of bed. I'm not advocating for ball gowns and suits, but I think it should be standard to at least look clean and groomed and like you were planning on leaving the house.

I don't buy the argument that how you dress is a reliable indicator of how you will behave, but really, I don't understand all the outrage in this thread.

LizzieCurry
#70Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/29/15 at 3:59pm

It's classist in a sly sort of way because people equate having money with dressing nicely.

ZannaDo
#71Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/29/15 at 4:01pm

I see what you're saying and I agree some people can use dress codes in a way that's racist, classist, and sexist. In practice, in this situation though, it really isn't more expensive to "look nice".

LizzieCurry
#72Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/29/15 at 4:08pm

Oh, no, I agree with you.

BOM  Profile Photo
BOM
#73Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/29/15 at 4:26pm

I remember seeing Book of Mormon in Boston. I was 19 at the time and I felt I dressed appropriately. But I can remember these two older ladies behind me talking about me. They said something along the lines of "He's actually wearing that? Why don't people dress up nicely anymore?" I was kind of offended. Like others have already stated above, as long as you don't stink or behave badly, I could care less what you wear. 

ZannaDo
#74Stop dressing like crap!
Posted: 7/29/15 at 4:42pm

There could be a whole separate thread on people who feel fine coming to the theatre with incredibly offensive BO. When you are going to be in close quarters with lots of people, please, please be conscious of how you smell.