pixeltracker

American Horror Story: Hotel- Page 5

American Horror Story: Hotel

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#100American Horror Story: Hotel
Posted: 10/8/15 at 12:51pm

Phyllis Rogers Stone said: "I couldn't help but laugh at the "Expect the Unexpected" at the beginning.  I realize no one has a claim on that phrase, but Julie Chen says it on every episode of Big Brother, and it seemed like a weird thing to suddenly say at the beginning of the show, especially when nothing was really unexpected.   Maybe this season is a metaphor for reality tv!"

I guess we should expect people to "get blood on their hands."

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#101American Horror Story: Hotel
Posted: 10/8/15 at 1:10pm

So the rape was just a metaphor?  Or it was a rape AND a metaphor?

FindingNamo
#102American Horror Story: Hotel
Posted: 10/8/15 at 1:17pm

I can't think in metaphors for this show because I don't believe Ryan Murphy knows what a metaphor is. 

Then again, Gaga did speak of the shado self, and I'm not sure you can invoke Jung without that knowledge. 

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#103American Horror Story: Hotel
Posted: 10/8/15 at 1:17pm

EvanK said: "I had no context for the rape scene and got the metaphor instantly. It doesn't take a genius.

Not at all, it's very on the nose like any Murphy metaphor.  The point is it arguably loses the power of the metaphor Murphy says it conveys in the interview when it happens to a character we have no relation to and is endlessly drawn out--that's when it becomes entirely about the shock and exploitation.  *shrug*

It is going to be a good season!

"Careful when saying that American Horror Story: Hotel

So some bloggers are actually thinking they're clever for noticing the Bomer/Gaga Deneuve/Bowie "homage" from The Hunger?  Wow.  I guess it's good that Murphy's "homages" allow people to feel clever for spotting the obvious references.

Roscoe
#104American Horror Story: Hotel
Posted: 10/8/15 at 1:42pm

I saw someone post online to the effect that as long as Matt Bomer's nude scenes hit the internet next day, why should I bother watching this show?

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#105American Horror Story: Hotel
Posted: 10/8/15 at 1:49pm

For the metaphors! Duh.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#106American Horror Story: Hotel
Posted: 10/8/15 at 2:31pm

Rape is a metaphor for fun!

MrSweetNAwful Profile Photo
MrSweetNAwful
#107American Horror Story: Hotel
Posted: 10/8/15 at 3:10pm

Well that...certainly was an episode of American Horror Story... It did feel like a pilot and midseason cliffhanger turducken. I have less of a sense of what's going on than I ever have before and this "story" just got started. Oh boy.

At least the violence is improved. The show was never scary or truly unnerving to me until this episode, it looks like Murphy wants to reach exploitation levels of gore this time around, so at least there's that...

You're reminding me of people you hear at the movies asking questions every ten seconds, "Who is that? Why is that guy walking down the street? Who's that lady coming up to him? Uh-oh, why did that car go by? Why is it so dark in this theater?" - FindingNamo on strummergirl

"If artists were machines, then I'm just a different kind of machine...I'd probably be a toaster. Actually, I'd be a toaster oven because they're more versatile. And I like making grilled cheese" -Regina Spektor

"That's, like, twelve shows! ...Or seven." -Crazy SA Fangirl

"They say that just being relaxed is the most important thing [in acting]. I take that to another level, I think kinda like yawning and...like being partially asleep onstage is also good, but whatever." - Sherie Rene Scott

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#108American Horror Story: Hotel
Posted: 10/8/15 at 3:31pm

I'm sorry but what was exactly the rape a metaphor for? So some queenie drug-addicted gay guy getting anally raped to (near) death is supposed to have an inherent symbolic value? Like what, heroin is like anal rape? Is this really what he has to say about heroin after seeing the star of his former show OD on heroin? Is this really the type of bullsh!t Ryan Murphy is feeding people to mask his blatant issues with queerness, women, drug addicts, people of color and anyone who's not affluent? Or is this one of those, "well, the rapist is supposed to be a monster and it's a horror show so it's ok"?

The episode was not awful. It was less exciting than the first episode of all the other seasons and Jessica Lange's presence is sorely missed, especially since Kathy Bates looks like she has a thankless role and well, I won't even talk about Ryan Murphy wasting my dear Sarah Paulson's time. Lady Gaga is fantastic when she doesn't have to deliver dialogue. Here we go again, AHS, naturally I'll be watching weekly.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

EricMontreal22
#109American Horror Story: Hotel
Posted: 10/8/15 at 4:34pm

I know the feeling Ray. And I think Bates is meant to be the cursed sole human stuck with the hotel. Or something. 

I and yes you nailed it (drilled it?). Apparently the metaphor of heroin addiction specifically and addiction in general is that it's like being anally raped to death by a demon with a drill cock. Obvs. 

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#110American Horror Story: Hotel
Posted: 10/8/15 at 5:02pm

The concept is somewhat weak, has promise, just not fully realized. The episode was very slow moving and the scene work did not sustain itself. There were giant gaps between lines. Most of the actors looked like they were acting and that they did not have a grasp of what was going on.  It is always strange to watch some decent actors drown in mediocrity. I missed Lange for she always knew how to make a scene engaging.

MrSweetNAwful Profile Photo
MrSweetNAwful
#111American Horror Story: Hotel
Posted: 10/8/15 at 5:12pm

Man I forgot that Corey Monteith died of an overdose. That really does make this heroin *ahem*"metaphor"*ahem* exceptionally tone deaf and in poor taste.

You're reminding me of people you hear at the movies asking questions every ten seconds, "Who is that? Why is that guy walking down the street? Who's that lady coming up to him? Uh-oh, why did that car go by? Why is it so dark in this theater?" - FindingNamo on strummergirl

"If artists were machines, then I'm just a different kind of machine...I'd probably be a toaster. Actually, I'd be a toaster oven because they're more versatile. And I like making grilled cheese" -Regina Spektor

"That's, like, twelve shows! ...Or seven." -Crazy SA Fangirl

"They say that just being relaxed is the most important thing [in acting]. I take that to another level, I think kinda like yawning and...like being partially asleep onstage is also good, but whatever." - Sherie Rene Scott

FindingNamo
#112American Horror Story: Hotel
Posted: 10/8/15 at 5:55pm

Lange for she always knew how to make a scene engaging.

Primarily by acting as if she were in an entirely different project than everyone else. 

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#113American Horror Story: Hotel
Posted: 10/8/15 at 7:52pm

When do you think Countess Gag will take a bath in virgins blood? I'm guessing 3 episode 4th at the latest

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#114American Horror Story: Hotel
Posted: 10/8/15 at 7:55pm

As entertaining as Lange frequently was, she played the same one-note part for all four seasons. I love her, but it was getting to be a drag on what already is a mess of a show. 

Haven't watched the premiere yet, but I've seen a few clips, mostly because I find Bomer and Max Greenfield incredibly attractive. It was hard to tell if Gaga is good at all- she's watchable, but she's already such a theatrical creation that I can't really tell if she's acting. I'll probably end up watching and giving up like I did with Freak Show- but at least I know what to expect. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#115American Horror Story: Hotel
Posted: 10/8/15 at 10:38pm

Yes, but the scene work in this first episode seemed like it was directed by a first year college theatre student. Some of the acting was down right horrible. Gaga was expressionless and Jackson sounded like he was mumbling. And the pacing was...well there was no pacing...

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#116American Horror Story: Hotel
Posted: 10/8/15 at 11:08pm

A not very spoilery interview with Murphy.  It sounds like he has also figured out talking isn't Gaga's strong suit.

FindingNamo
#117American Horror Story: Hotel
Posted: 10/9/15 at 12:12am

Does he really think the phrase is "sexual prototype"?

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#118American Horror Story: Hotel
Posted: 10/9/15 at 12:19am

I find that totally unsurprising. Here and there in the show I'll hear something that makes me think "that word doesn't mean that you think it means."  Ryan Murphy thinks craven means something completely different than what craven actually means. I bet he's one of those people who thinks penultimate means like superduper ultimate. 

Updated On: 10/9/15 at 12:19 AM

hork Profile Photo
hork
#119American Horror Story: Hotel
Posted: 10/9/15 at 12:31am

"Sexual prototype" is funnier the more you think about it. I tried to think of a way to turn it into a joke, but nothing is as funny as the phrase itself. Now I have a name for the band that I will never start.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#120American Horror Story: Hotel
Posted: 10/9/15 at 1:12am

Is it a Backstreet Boys cover band?

EricMontreal22
#121American Horror Story: Hotel
Posted: 10/9/15 at 1:13am

Vanity Fair is sick of Murphy (Falchuk) and how awful AHS has become. I don't agree with it all - I doubt Murphy thought the rape was meant to be funny - but an enjoyable read  http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/10/american-horror-story-hotel-isnt-trash-its-garbage

Updated On: 10/9/15 at 01:13 AM

hork Profile Photo
hork
#122American Horror Story: Hotel
Posted: 10/9/15 at 1:37am

Jordan Catalano said: "Is it a Backstreet Boys cover band?

It is now!

JerseyGirl2 Profile Photo
JerseyGirl2
#123American Horror Story: Hotel
Posted: 10/9/15 at 4:03am

I can't buy Paulson in this role. At. All. 

Pretty pretty please don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f**ckin' perfect!

Brian07663NJ
#124American Horror Story: Hotel
Posted: 10/9/15 at 9:51am

Finally watched it last night (hooray for DVR)

ok - it is only the first episode so giving breathing room for all the character introductions and plots to start up. Therefore not going to be judgmental...yet.

As for Lady Gaga - she entered, loved how they kept not letting you see her face the way they edited it. Then we saw her in all her bleached blondness and I thought - OMG she looks horrific. This is after all American Horror Story. Then it dawned on me...this is how she usually looks!