Therese Raquin Previews

musicman_bwayfan
#75Thérèse Raquin Previews
Posted: 10/3/15 at 8:10pm

Do they have merch in yet?  Specifically, the posters?

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#76Thérèse Raquin Previews
Posted: 10/3/15 at 8:23pm

Magnet, 2 tee shirts, poster,book etc

Poster Emeritus

HBP Profile Photo
HBP
#77Thérèse Raquin Previews
Posted: 10/3/15 at 8:26pm

Wait, Jordan, are you being sarcastic? I saw the matinee today and thought it was dreadfully dull. My goodness it was so gloomy and sluggish. The acting was fine but the direction was so terrible that all of the "thrilling" moments had most of the mezzanine laughing out loud. I had to bite my finger during one scene to stop myself from laughing. 

If you tallied up the number of minutes spent with actors wandering, standing or sitting in silence in this show, it would surely equal the minutes of dialogue. The show could be 30 minutes shorter if they just picked up the pace.

The set was the only thing worth the $10 tickets. I actually loved the attic apartment and the water. But my goodness what a bore. The show was over at 4:40 but when I asked my friend what time it was, someone behind us said "it feels like midnight."

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#78Thérèse Raquin Previews
Posted: 10/3/15 at 9:17pm

I'm extremely serious. 

iluvtheatertrash
#79Thérèse Raquin Previews
Posted: 10/3/15 at 9:26pm

I was at the matinee and sitting with Jordan today. I considered skipping it based on other reports, and I am so very glad I did. I agree with Jordan - one of Roundabout's finest productions. 

The set is stunning. The lighting is stunning. Judith Light is stunning. Kiera Nightly is stunning. Matt Ryan is stunning. My only shortcoming is Gabriel Ebert, though I must admit I'm not a fan of any of his work. Something about him feels very over-the-top and forced to me. I do think there's a few places that the playwright could've self-edited, but the length (in the end), really did not bother me at all.

It's a slow-burn and a deeply affecting one. It's bone-chilling, and thrilling to watch unfold - especially if you're like me and were not already familiar with the plot. 

I hope to return later in the run to see how it's grown. A really magnificent, marvelous, extraordinary production from Roundabout. 

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

iluvtheatertrash
#80Thérèse Raquin Previews
Posted: 10/3/15 at 9:28pm

Jordan and I both snickered at the sex scenes. They're definitely awkward and need some fine-tuning. The long pauses didn't bother me, except for the one where Camille is sleeping on the dock. I understand the purpose of it, but feel it could be shorter.

The Pecan Sandies
#81Thérèse Raquin Previews
Posted: 10/3/15 at 9:48pm

I was at the matinee today as well and have to say I did not care for it all. I admit to not being familiar with the source material at all, which may have hindered my opinion of the show overall, But i found it dull and at times sort of pointless. There were many times where things started to pick up for me and then seemed to slam to a stop. The actors all do their best but overall I think the direction failed them, like the previously mention sex/violence scenes. I was actually surprised to hear as much laughter as I did as I didn't think there was supposed to be any comedic elements to the show.

TerrenceIsTheMann
#82Thérèse Raquin Previews
Posted: 10/4/15 at 1:46am

Saw the matinee today. I completely, completely agree with Jordan (who usually gives a perfect review). This is such a complex, beautifully acted and directed production and am not surprised that Roundabout produced it. To me, they bring it every year. Keira was fantastic and has a good shot at a Tony nom. Matt Ryan was solid. Their chemistry was pretty good too today. Gabriel Ebert and Judith Light both gave wonderful performances. Some of the accents are a little weird, but I bet they'll be worked out by opening. Great show and the set is incredible-the pool is awesome!

TerrenceIsTheMann
#83Thérèse Raquin Previews
Posted: 10/4/15 at 1:50am

BTW- For those who care, Keira didn't stage door the matinee, but they gave out playbills that she signed, which I thought was pretty generous as that wasn't necessary. 

Julie Yard
#84Thérèse Raquin Previews
Posted: 10/4/15 at 9:35am

Thought the set/lighting design was brilliant but the adaptation/direction was boring and borish and I napped a couple of time. That giant set of the Paris apartment flying down was amazing... but did it need to fly down 6 times so we could see another game of dominoes? Something wonderful became "oh no, here's another 3 minute domino scene."  The performances were fine.. although I was surprised at how stock performance Kiera Knightley felt... I know it's early in preview but there were moments I thought I was watching her film roles (which I love). The play should have bee cut by at least 30 minutes. Man.. it has not been a great opening to this season.

Dolittle

iluvtheatertrash
#85Thérèse Raquin Previews
Posted: 10/4/15 at 9:40am

I agree that dominoes scenes seemed superfluous. Jordan actually explained why he thought they were there, and it made a lot of sense to me. Maybe he can tell you his idea of them, too. 

HoldMeBatBOy
#86Thérèse Raquin Previews
Posted: 10/4/15 at 11:31am

I'm with Jordan on this one guys! I thought this production was stunning! The design is gorgeous! The performances were great. It's difinately one of those styles you either go with or you don't...and I was mesmerized for the entire 2hrs45mins. It had me on the edge of my seat. I understand this may be a polarizing show but it will probably make my Top 10 at the end of the season. Go see it!

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#87Thérèse Raquin Previews
Posted: 10/4/15 at 12:39pm

Yes, please explain the significance of the dominoes, if you don't mind. 

I'm wondering if it has any connection to the character's monologue at the end 

Slight spoiler******* of how important the weekly games are to his life, how he looks forward to them, and how they ease his isolation. It's a sad speech in that he basically doesn't have much in his life besides the domino games, and it also shows how clueless he is, that he says he's glad that he can be part of a happy household for a little while. End spoiler************

I loved the set design and the lighting, and I enjoyed the supernatural elements. The pacing needs to be picked up a bit. I would recommend sitting as close as possible for this one, because the acting is very subtle. I thought Keira was excellent, but the real reason to see this show is Judith Light. Also, my friends and I were in the $10 seats and we were able to move down to the front mezzanine, for a great view. But get even closer than that if you can. 

Updated On: 10/4/15 at 12:39 PM

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#88Thérèse Raquin Previews
Posted: 10/4/15 at 1:16pm

I agree with everyone regarding the scenic and lighting design. Both of them are simply jaw dropping and beautiful. By far my favorite aspect of the production.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Jordan Catalano
#89Thérèse Raquin Previews
Posted: 10/4/15 at 2:01pm

To me, the dominos scenes (in the first act) had nothing to do with anything other than show Therese's unhappiness. In the first act, she was withdrawn from them, sitting by the closed window, yearning to be on the other side of it. To me, they showed the mundaneness that she would give anything to escape. I really loved those scenes and Knightly's silent acting in them.

VintageSnarker
#90Thérèse Raquin Previews
Posted: 10/4/15 at 2:20pm

"Also on the spoiler list: Oedipus' eyes, who won the Trojan War, Julius Caesar and the Senate, Romeo and Juliet and some poison and a knife, Rosebud, and anything in the Bible."

I don't think Therese Raquin is quite at that level. I hadn't even heard of it before hearing about this production. But yes, I read previews/reviews threads expecting to see spoilers. I'm not seeing this until November so hopefully they'll have worked some issues out by then (including cutting down the running time). 

"I bought the script afterwards and saw this was the last part of the show:"

Wait, does that mean they aren't going to make any changes in previews?

Updated On: 10/4/15 at 02:20 PM

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#91Thérèse Raquin Previews
Posted: 10/4/15 at 2:32pm

This may be the most visually stunning production of a play I have ever seen. Truly remarkable work.

I thought this was great production overall, but I agree with some of the pacing and tone issues that other posters have identified. I didn't feel like any single scene was superfluous, but I wish some of them moved along at a faster clip. The drama and tension certainly unfold as a slow burn, but there are some scenes especially early in the first act that could move faster. I also agree that there were moments in the second act that should have had dramatic heft that garnered laughter from the audience.  One in particular, in which: (spoiler) Therese and Laurent are having one of their final arguments with the ghost of Camille sitting at the table and Laurent screams at Therese that she should take the ghost with her if she leaves him, that got a large - inappropriate - chuckle out of the crowd. (end spoiler)  They have to fix some of those moments tonally to have a bigger impact at the end of the show.

The core quartet of actors are all delivering solid-to-remarkable performances. The weak(er) link in the cast is Matt Ryan who, although very good, has not yet established the right chemistry with Knightley. I was impressed with Gabriel Ebert. Going into the production with the little knowledge I had of the characters, I expected Camille to be cruel; I thought the juvenility and arrogance that Ebert brought to the character made him stifling and insufferable, but also brought enough comic relief in the first act that brightened what could have been an otherwise dour proceeding. Keira Knightley and Judith Light are truly the acting highlights of the production. I agree with all of the other comments that what they are able to convey in their extended silences are just as impactful, if not more so, than their scenes verbally and physically interacting with the characters around them. This is a very respectful and smart Broadway debut from Knightley.  And this is another great role for Light. Although I think she had more meaty material in Other Desert Cities and The Assembled Parties, she brings a lot nuance and even pathos to a role that I expected to be much more one note. She's such a gem on the stage and I hope she continues coming back to the stage.

I have to comment on the observations of how this becomes a "ghost story" in the second act.  (spoilers) The first two times when Camille physically enters a scene with just his hand were surprising and shocked and frightened a great deal of the people sitting around me.  When he actually walks into the room and later when he is sitting at the table, they're less shocking, but even more chilling and, I think, important symbolically.  The transition from him intruding on quiet, private moments in the bedroom ever so briefly to his full body presence to me represents Therese and Laurent's fuller acknowledging of their guilt and crime and their growing inability to come to terms with it (end spoilers). I'll be revisiting the show in November, and am very exciting to see how the production will have shaped up by then.

Also a note about the stage door, all four of the leads came out very quickly this evening.  Matt didn't sign for everybody, but he did pose for pictures and was gracious.  Keira seemed to be in more of a rush than previous reports, as she scribbled on a few books and playbills and dashed to the car; she certainly didn't get to everyone in the line, but the crowd did appear to be very large. Gabriel was there for a quiet a long time, posing for pictures and signing and chatting with fans.  And as usual, Judith was very giving of her time.  I had brought a picture of her and I at the stage door of Assembled Parties for her to sign, and she seemed quite happy to see it.  We talked for a moment, and then she moved on to sign other books.  She came back to me a few minutes later, though, saying that she wanted to see the picture again so that she could personalize it.  She's just so incredibly sweet.

Wow, apologies for the length of this post!  I guess I had a lot of thoughts to share and react to on this one!

Updated On: 10/4/15 at 02:32 PM

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#92Thérèse Raquin Previews
Posted: 10/4/15 at 2:35pm

VintageSnarker said:

"I bought the script afterwards and saw this was the last part of the show:"

Wait, does that mean they aren't going to make any changes in previews?"

I didn't buy a copy of the script, but I was skimming it in the lobby and I believe this adaptation had a production / premiere elsewhere in 2014, so this is not the world premiere of Helen Edmundson's text; hence why it's already in print and readily available for purchase at the merch stand.

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#93Thérèse Raquin Previews
Posted: 10/4/15 at 5:01pm

Went to yesterday's matinee and have to agree with the comments on the pacing.  There were moments that I felt needed to be quicker (particularly toward the end) and moments that needed to be slowed (their Therese and Laurents' sex scenes - the first one in particular).  Laurent thrusts and it's done.  The audience needs to feel the connection between these characters to believe that they are *SPOILER* desperate enough to kill Camille *END SPOILER.*  If given more time in those scenes (and not only the sex scenes, but the other intimate moments too), the audience would be able to feel that chemistry and longing because there were moments where I could get a sense of it in the bit of time that we were given.  

The performances were great, and Keira and Judith were especially wonderful.  I really think Judith Light can do it all, and this seems to be the type of role in which Keira seems most comfortable.  The set design and lighting were also great.  The confinement of the Parisian apartment and the freedom/power of the water became part of the story.  

There are things to be fixed, but overall, I enjoyed the piece.  Glad I went.   

Updated On: 10/4/15 at 05:01 PM

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#94Thérèse Raquin Previews
Posted: 10/4/15 at 5:36pm

VintageSnarker said: ""Also on the spoiler list: Oedipus' eyes, who won the Trojan War, Julius Caesar and the Senate, Romeo and Juliet and some poison and a knife, Rosebud, and anything in the Bible."

I don't think Therese Raquin is quite at that level. I hadn't even heard of it before hearing about this production…."

Exactly! Thank you, VillageSnarker.

Updated On: 10/4/15 at 05:36 PM

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#95Thérèse Raquin Previews
Posted: 10/4/15 at 5:55pm

Aside from the things I previously mentioned, I also saw a crew member walk behind a window yesterday, and assumed this was a big no-no and would be corrected immediately.  My friend saw the play today and said she saw the same thing.  They need to figure that out.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#96Thérèse Raquin Previews
Posted: 10/4/15 at 5:59pm

I'm glad you mentioned this, because I noticed the crew member at the Saturday matinee, then I forgot about it.  Seeing him definitely took me out of the moment. How could anyone think he wouldn't be visible? 

Jordan Catalano
#97Thérèse Raquin Previews
Posted: 10/4/15 at 6:02pm

After the "hand"? Yeah that was a huge mistake. Then he walked back in front again which was so stupid on his part. 

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#98Thérèse Raquin Previews
Posted: 10/5/15 at 10:56am

You may not have heard of Thérèse Raquin heretofore, but that doesn't mean it's not a famous classic. You also may not have heard of many other novels, plays, ballets, paintings, or works of music that are still generally regarded by many as classics. They just aren't famous to you.

I first read Thérèse Raquin (in translation) in high school; but then, I attended a high school that was big on reading. I remember a rather popular TV version in 1980, as well.

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#99Thérèse Raquin Previews
Posted: 10/5/15 at 11:19am

I still think this adaptation (and the casting of/portrayal by Ebert) got Camille all wrong. Camille is a very sickly, weak boy and later young man. Yes he is egotistical and thinks far too highly of himself owing to his mother's constant doting, but the truth of his appearance can be found in Laurent's painting, which depicts his skin in a greenish hue! Zola's description from the novel reads: His growth had been stunted, so that he remained small and sickly looking; the movement of his skinny limbs were slow and tired. Ebert's height alone is a major drawback. He was far too vibrant and funny. Any attempt at humor should be met with a cringe or thud, not a laugh. If anything he is a creature to be pitied with such a pathetic existence.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!