Therese Raquin Previews

Sam2
#100Thérèse Raquin Previews
Posted: 10/5/15 at 12:44pm

I got to see yesterday’s matinee and I thought the entire play was incredibly strong. Off course, there has to be some cutting done in the first act, because it did take some time before I was dragged into the dark world that the play creates. But besides that, Therese Raquin is an extremely heavy play and a stunning, dark must-see. And indeed, the sex scenes are quite weird. I felt like the director should make a choice between an abstract exposure of the sex scenes, so don’t really act them out anymore, or totally go for it. Now he didn’t really make a choice and that’s what made it feel so awkward to me. The overall acting was so subtle and realistic, it was kind of a relief. Knightley is on her way to a Tony nomination, what a breath-taking performance.

****Spoiler*****

The second act of the play was, indeed, so much more powerful than the first act. I thought the ghost scenes were so touching and showed the mental evolution of Therese so well. But, as mentioned here before, for some people it might have been too much. Maybe some people feel like it’s a sort of slapstick horror, because after a few appearances from Camille, I heard a lot of people laughing when he showed up once again. But to me it didn’t feel over the top at all. There’s a possibility that it works out better when they make it just a little bit less explicit.

But what an amazing play. Go and see this. If not for the story, do it for the acting, lightning and sets.

supersam1026 Profile Photo
supersam1026
#101Thérèse Raquin Previews
Posted: 10/10/15 at 12:48am

On the train home from tonight's performance, count me as one who definitely enjoyed it! 

After reading through this thread it seems that there have been quite a few changes made, with the biggest one being (SPOILER) the complete absence of Camille in the second act, ghost or otherwise. It is only alluded to with sounds that he is in Therese's room at one point, but he is not seen. At the stage door Gabe Ebert did say something about him being cut from the second act (I did not read this thread before I saw the show). END SPOILER

The set and lighting are incredible, there is nothing more that can be said about that that hasn't already been said.

I thought the leads were uniformly pretty great. Knightley's transition throughout the play was something special to watch. Whoever said this is a "slow burn" is absolutely correct and it is in the best way possible.

No idea how I got it, but I sat in the front row (A1) for $47. I bought this online a few weeks ago and assumed it was partial view due to a high stage. Then I looked at the seating not chart in the lobby and it said "column" for my seat so I thought I might have an issue.... NOT AT ALL!! The stage is very low and there was at least a 5 foot gap between the front row and the stage. I saw everything perfectly and have absolutely no idea why this seat was so deeply discounted!

Stage door had all 4 leads come out pretty quickly. Knightley spent MAYBE 45 seconds in total scribbling on people's playbills before dashing for the car. The other 3 leads came out and we're happy to sign, take pictures and talk.

The show got out at 10:40 and I was done with the stage door around 11:05.

Sorry if some stuff didn't make sense, hope the iPhone treated this post well!

Updated On: 10/10/15 at 12:48 AM

supersam1026 Profile Photo
supersam1026
#102Thérèse Raquin Previews
Posted: 10/10/15 at 1:19am

Double post, sorry!

Updated On: 10/10/15 at 01:19 AM

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#103Thérèse Raquin Previews
Posted: 10/15/15 at 8:44am

I was shocked at the fact that I enjoyed this. 

Is it something I would see again? No. Was I blown away or enthralled the entire time? No. But I enjoyed it. The good far outweighed the bad, for me. 

Strong performances all around, an absolutely stunning design job, swift direction - I was entertained for the most part. And I was anticipating to be bored out of my mind.  Good on Ms. Knightley for choosing a very risky play and character with which to make her Broadway debut. I thought she was fantastic. 

Updated On: 10/15/15 at 08:44 AM

skies Profile Photo
skies
#104Thérèse Raquin Previews
Posted: 10/15/15 at 9:37am

I thought Keira Knightly was wonderful and the psychological tension of the play was played out  effectively.  Just would have wished Judith Light would have had one big scene to claim as her own, but otherwise a superb job.

The use of the river staging, spare but dramatic was a great stage design.

"when I’m on stage I see the abyss and have to overcome it by telling myself it’s only a play." - Helen Mirren

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#105Thérèse Raquin Previews
Posted: 10/16/15 at 11:43pm

After reading some of the reviews I thought I was in for a dour evening, but I really enjoyed it! I was pretty into it! I knew the general story going in, but I was really enthralled. It's probably the most gorgeously designed show I've seen in awhile. Just beautiful. 

I think the show could use some trimming. Like in Act 2, I don't think we need to see their wedding. It didn't add anything to the plot, and the last couple of scenes could have been developed into one long scene. But overall I was really impressed. 

The accents are still kind of all over the place. I'm one of the few who don't love Eppert in anything he does? I just don't get his appeal. He was way too broad, and I could see why she'd wanna leave him. When they said they were moving to Paris, I thought "Is that far? Is that close? I don't know." 

I thought Knightly had an interesting arch, but it's def. a movie kind of performance. But I still find the story kind of involving. I was curious how it would all play out. 

Updated On: 10/17/15 at 11:43 PM

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#106Thérèse Raquin Previews
Posted: 10/18/15 at 7:43pm

I saw this this afternoon and didn't care for it at all. Sure, the plot is very engrossing but the director and pacing really lets it down. The first act is slow but the second act is just unbearable. But yes, the physical production is great, as is the acting across the board but overall the production is not a must-see. 

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#107Thérèse Raquin Previews
Posted: 10/18/15 at 11:40pm

I loved the direction. When the set goes up and the leaves fall. Or how they were be a spotlight on certain characters as the scenes transition around them. I know it was slow, but I think it needed it to the show the progression of time. These were split decisions. These were carefully thought out. But the direction of the final scene, when they see each other, got laughs, so I think that needs to be worked.

I didn't quite get the ending. Especially Judith Light's involvement. 

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#108Thérèse Raquin Previews
Posted: 10/19/15 at 12:08am

RippedMan said: "But the direction of the final scene, when they see each other, got laughs, so I think that needs to be worked. I didn't quite get the ending. Especially Judith Light's involvement."

I agree wholeheartedly with your observations about the ending, RippedMan. I understood what was going on, but the development is so abrupt and unexpected that it lacks any emotional gravitas or impact. I was curious to hear if they've made any improvements with that in particular since I saw it the first week of previews, but it doesn't sound like it. I hope they tighten it with the week or so that they have left, because the end of the show could be really powerful if they strike the right balance. Right now, it's actually quite anticlimactic.

Sam2
#109Thérèse Raquin Previews
Posted: 10/19/15 at 12:58am

Has anyone seen this again since the first previews a few weeks ago? I'm curious what changes, besides the cutting of the ghost scenes in the second act , have been made. 

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#110Thérèse Raquin Previews
Posted: 10/19/15 at 11:26pm

wanted to bump up this thread   curious if the play got cut down at all...

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#111Thérèse Raquin Previews
Posted: 10/20/15 at 2:29am

Well, I saw it less than a week ago? I really enjoyed it, but also felt a little puzzled. I still don't quite get why Judith Light's character didn't have a full circle moment. 

Skimbleshanks2 Profile Photo
Skimbleshanks2
#112Thérèse Raquin Previews
Posted: 10/20/15 at 11:35am

Is Roundabout having a tough season? The grosses for TR are pretty surprising. I also got an annoying cold call yesterday from a Roundabout employee begging me to buy tickets. 

"See that poster on the wall? Rocky Marciano." - Andy Karl as Rocky in 'ROCKY'

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#113Thérèse Raquin Previews
Posted: 10/20/15 at 4:36pm

Well they def. spent some money on the show. And I'd think with Knightly and Judith Light it'd be selling a little bit better. 

atuomala Profile Photo
atuomala
#114Thérèse Raquin Previews
Posted: 10/23/15 at 9:12am

Maybe it needs the publicity from opening night to pick it up. It could be getting buried under all the publicity from the upcoming musicals. I myself keep forgetting that this show is currently running, but I already have my ticket secured for November 7.

"Mostly, I loved the size of these people's emotions. Nobody has emotions this size anymore. Outsized emotions. Operatic emotions. Kushemski and Vanda are like Tristan and Isolde, they're Paolo and Francesca. Nobody's in total thrall like this anymore. Nobody's overcome by passion like this, or goes through this kind of rage." Thomas, Venus in Fur

neonlightsxo
#115Thérèse Raquin Previews
Posted: 10/23/15 at 12:06pm

"Is Roundabout having a tough season? The grosses for TR are pretty surprising"

No, they're not. They're a nonprofit. They're comparable to Roundabout's usual grosses, excepting Cabaret. They're doing fine.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#116Thérèse Raquin Previews
Posted: 10/25/15 at 12:37am

Saw it tonight. Blown away, but this show will polarize audiences. Also those farther away may miss Keira's nuanced acting. I was transfixed throughout.  SPOILER-Camille is completely cut from Act 2. For those saying Judith Light didn't get a moment, I think her entire time in the wheelchair, especially when she tries to tell on the murderers was riveting. END SPOILER. 

It's the most gorgeous show I've seen in a long time. Keira is completely engaged and primal. The staging is cinematic and great care was taken in sets, lighting and blocking. 

I'm grateful Roundabout produced this. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#117Thérèse Raquin Previews
Posted: 10/25/15 at 12:51am

I was in the rear mezz, and thought Knightly turned in a great performance. I don't know Matt Ryan at all, but I thought he was pretty great as well. 

VernonGersch
#118Thérèse Raquin Previews
Posted: 10/25/15 at 5:10am

whats the current running time of the play?  is it still 2hr40min?

Monty12112
#119Thérèse Raquin Previews
Posted: 10/25/15 at 8:44am

Had tickets for the rear mezz. for this performance, but was able to move to the front mezz after intermission when I spotted a couple seats open.   I enjoyed the show.  I think it ran about  2hours 20 minutes.     I saw the Saturday matinee and went to stage door after.  Kiera did not come out (but we were given pre-signed playbills).  Matt Ryan did come out and took pictures and signed. 

VernonGersch
#120Thérèse Raquin Previews
Posted: 10/25/15 at 1:23pm

phenomenal piece on Kiera in todays Arts & Lesiure

egnarotsew Profile Photo
egnarotsew
#121Thérèse Raquin Previews
Posted: 10/25/15 at 1:43pm

*Spoiler*

I saw this a few nights ago and I'm just learning now that Camille was originally in the second act.  As someone who is not familiar with the story I think I prefer not seeing him.  I couldn't tell if he was actually the cause of the noise or were Therese and Laurent being paranoid.  Plus, I think his painting is enough of a presence. 

I saw it on Thursday.  The show started shortly after 8 and I was at the stage door by 10:35.

Updated On: 10/25/15 at 01:43 PM

neonlightsxo
#122Thérèse Raquin Previews
Posted: 10/26/15 at 9:32am

Saw the show over the weekend and thought it was phenomenal. One of Roundabout's best in recent memory. The four leads: Gabriel, Keira, Judith & Matt are all top notch. Fantastic direction, great adaptation, beautiful set. Blown away, really.

nasty_khakis
#123Thérèse Raquin Previews
Posted: 10/26/15 at 12:37pm

I'm glad they cut actually seeing Camille in the second act, it creates more suspense if he's there or they're haunting themselves. At points I was very nervous and waiting for something to jump out or suddenly appear, but I'm very glad they drew the tension out and didn't resort to shock/scare tactics.