pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/11/15- Page 2

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/11/15

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#25Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/11/15
Posted: 10/13/15 at 8:12pm

Did honeymoon in Vegas run through a major holiday(Christmas, New Year's Eve) though?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#26Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/11/15
Posted: 10/13/15 at 8:18pm

Honeymoon in Vegas played through Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years AND spring break holidays... so yes.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#27Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/11/15
Posted: 10/13/15 at 9:40pm

DAMES hasn't even opened yet. Maybe some strong reviews will help the show out. Also, they haven't done any talk shows yet either.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

GreasedLightning
#28Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/11/15
Posted: 10/13/15 at 9:46pm

Enthusiasm is nice but I think this show was DOA. 

ZellMorrowsPledge Profile Photo
ZellMorrowsPledge
#29Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/11/15
Posted: 10/13/15 at 10:02pm

Dames drew in 90% of its seats. Maybe they need to raise ticket prices >.>

Use my code "YZTFG" for $20 OFF tickets on TodayTix!

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#30Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/11/15
Posted: 10/13/15 at 10:04pm

I imagine most of those seats were heavily discounted or comped. 

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#31Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/11/15
Posted: 10/13/15 at 10:04pm

ZellMorrowsPledge said: "Dames drew in 90% of its seats. Maybe they need to raise ticket prices >.>

"

no, it's likely due to a lot of comps. We'll see how well the show does after it opens.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Lilly7
#32Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/11/15
Posted: 10/13/15 at 11:05pm

Nice to see Allegiance and On Your Feet got off to a good start. 

VintageSnarker
#33Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/11/15
Posted: 10/13/15 at 11:59pm

"Dames drew in 90% of its seats. Maybe they need to raise ticket prices >.>"

"I imagine most of those seats were heavily discounted or comped."

I'm not saying this is how they sold every seat in the house (that they sold) but remember that they had that promotion selling $19.33 tickets during their entire preview period.

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#34What about Sylvia?
Posted: 10/14/15 at 12:20am

(not the goat - the dog) Numbers aren't great for Sylvia. Will she be taken in by the public?

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#35What about Sylvia?
Posted: 10/14/15 at 12:25am

I can't imagine that Sylvia is very expensive to run. But we shall see after reviews come out. I'd imagine them being positive for the actors/directors/designers but hard on the show?

binau Profile Photo
binau
#36What about Sylvia?
Posted: 10/14/15 at 2:23am

Can anyone think of the last time a musical struggled open opening but then went on to turn a profit? The only example I can think of in recent times is next to normal. However, there was a lot of abnormality about that musical (no pun intended). 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

c0113g3b0y
#37What about Sylvia?
Posted: 10/14/15 at 3:32am

qolbinau said: "Can anyone think of the last time a musical struggled open opening but then went on to turn a profit? The only example I can think of in recent times is next to normal. However, there was a lot of abnormality about that musical (no pun intended). 

"

A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder? They were struggling but the producers kept it open for the Tony awards and they managed to snag Best Musical. I believe they have now recouped, at the very least.

The thing is, besides being an utter toad of a human being, Riedel usually has the least knowledge of the topic in the room. He doesn't usually understand the content or approach of a show, and is always completely and unfailingly socially ignorant, which makes it really infuriating when Susan can't get a word in edgewise. A definitive mansplainer; it's always painful when he has female guests. I watch the show sporadically when I really want to see a guest, because it's the only theatre talkshow we have, but it would be so much better without this hateful clown in a dadcoat. (thanks ScaryWarhol)

binau Profile Photo
binau
#38What about Sylvia?
Posted: 10/14/15 at 3:45am

Oh yes, great example. Any examples that didn't win Best Musical?

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

neonlightsxo
#39What about Sylvia?
Posted: 10/14/15 at 9:21am

"Yeah, holiday tourism really gave the Last Ship and Honeymoon in Vegas huge leaps in their flailing grosses last year."

I understand that you're trying to contradict me, AEA AGMA SM, but I'm not wrong. Well, Honeymoon in Vegas was the exception because nobody wanted to see that show no matter how the holiday is.

But The Last Ship did its best numbers over the holidays, as did On the Town last year. https://www.broadwayworld.com/grossesshow.cfm?show=THE-LAST-SHIP&year=2015&allall=on

My point is that Spring Awakening will see an uptick. I didn't say it would save the show. Nothing can save that show from Ken Davenport's idiocy.

Updated On: 10/14/15 at 09:21 AM

c0113g3b0y
#40What about Sylvia?
Posted: 10/14/15 at 10:19am

neonlightsxo said: ""Yeah, holiday tourism really gave the Last Ship and Honeymoon in Vegas huge leaps in their flailing grosses last year."

I understand that you're trying to contradict me, AEA AGMA SM, but I'm not wrong. Well, Honeymoon in Vegas was the exception because nobody wanted to see that show no matter how the holiday is.

But The Last Ship did its best numbers over the holidays, as did On the Town last year. https://www.broadwayworld.com/grossesshow.cfm?show=THE-LAST-SHIP&year=2015&allall=on

My point is that Spring Awakening will see an uptick. I didn't say it would save the show. Nothing can save that show from Ken Davenport's idiocy.

"

ouch and double ouch .lol

The thing is, besides being an utter toad of a human being, Riedel usually has the least knowledge of the topic in the room. He doesn't usually understand the content or approach of a show, and is always completely and unfailingly socially ignorant, which makes it really infuriating when Susan can't get a word in edgewise. A definitive mansplainer; it's always painful when he has female guests. I watch the show sporadically when I really want to see a guest, because it's the only theatre talkshow we have, but it would be so much better without this hateful clown in a dadcoat. (thanks ScaryWarhol)

GreasedLightning
#41What about Sylvia?
Posted: 10/14/15 at 10:25am

qolbinau said: "Oh yes, great example. Any examples that didn't win Best Musical?

"

While I wouldn't say that they were "struggling," Beautiful had pretty lukewarm numbers from November to April. After Tony nominations came out (and then the ultimate Tony win for Mueller) the show saw and maintained a sudden increase in their numbers, even despite losing Best Musical. 

trpguyy
#42What about Sylvia?
Posted: 10/14/15 at 10:45am

neonlightsxo said: ""Yeah, holiday tourism really gave the Last Ship and Honeymoon in Vegas huge leaps in their flailing grosses last year."

My point is that Spring Awakening will see an uptick. I didn't say it would save the show. Nothing can save that show from Ken Davenport's idiocy."

Does Sting plan on stepping in to Spring Awakening? Because that's why The Last Ship saw a substantial bump in sales beginning the week of Dec 9 (the date of his first performance).

neonlightsxo
#43What about Sylvia?
Posted: 10/14/15 at 11:16am

"Does Sting plan on stepping in to Spring Awakening? Because that's why The Last Ship saw a substantial bump in sales beginning the week of Dec 9 (the date of his first performance)."

Their highest week of grosses was the first week of the year. Sting continued through the end of the month/the run and the grosses did not continue that way. Why is everyone trying to dispute the fact that holiday tourism increases sales? This is absurd.

c0113g3b0y
#44What about Sylvia?
Posted: 10/14/15 at 11:16am

maybe if Lea Michele decides to reprise her role. LOL

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#45What about Sylvia?
Posted: 10/14/15 at 11:21am

Maybe groff sauces month off at Hamilton is for him going into the spring awakening revival for a tad bit. And they just used looking as a scapegoat.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

trpguyy
#46What about Sylvia?
Posted: 10/14/15 at 11:22am

neonlightsxo said: ""Does Sting plan on stepping in to Spring Awakening? Because that's why The Last Ship saw a substantial bump in sales beginning the week of Dec 9 (the date of his first performance)."

Their highest week of grosses was the first week of the year. Sting continued through the end of the month/the run and the grosses did not continue that way. Why is everyone trying to dispute the fact that holiday tourism increases sales? This is absurd.
"

One week of the holiday season was marginally better than the rest. The *season* bump was because of Sting. One good week will not really help a struggling show. The Last Ship is a bad example of holiday season affecting a show at the box office.

Updated On: 10/14/15 at 11:22 AM

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#47What about Sylvia?
Posted: 10/14/15 at 11:26am

Officially: Hamilton hasn't recouped.

Uuofficially: With $40m in the bank so far, it has. I don't think the producers have sweaty palms.

AEA AGMA SM
#48What about Sylvia?
Posted: 10/14/15 at 11:32am

Yes, most shows see a bump due to the holiday tourists, but it's not a universal period of great business. A foundering show can't rely on that bump to keep them open, and in some cases can't even rely on that bump to break even in those weeks. 

It is a beautiful revival, and in the end I'm glad that Ken Davenport is willing to take these artistic risks, even if he is lacking as a lead producer. For all the complaints about how commercial and "safe" Broadway can be, we should be hoping that he will learn from his mistakes and remain willing to continue producing these risky enterprises alongside the hits he has been involved with. (I'm not advocating unconditional support, just the hope that he'll grow as a producer from each outing he undertakes)

GreasedLightning
#49What about Sylvia?
Posted: 10/14/15 at 11:48am

Call_me_jorge said: "Maybe groff sauces month off at Hamilton is for him going into the spring awakening revival for a tad bit. And they just used looking as a scapegoat.

"

LOL go away.