BroadwayHD

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#25BroadwayHD
Posted: 10/26/15 at 5:08pm

Maybe this should be its own thread...or maybe it was at one time...but which Broadway or London productions that have been released on home video have you liked? BILLY ELLIOT LIVE was released on DVD and Blu-ray last week. Anyone buy it?

What are your favorites? Do you buy them when they're released or just watch them on PBS, NetFlix, etc.?

Let's include concert productions of shows, too...like SWEENEY TODD with Patti LuPone and the San Francisco Symphony...or COMPANY with Neil Patrick Harris and the New York Philharmonic.

jimmycurry01
#26BroadwayHD
Posted: 10/26/15 at 5:30pm

I get a hold of all of this stuff as it comes out, and I feel that my collection is far more impressive than what they are offering at a rather exorbitant price. I feel like Jekyll and Hyde, Putting it Together, and Memphis were all less than great productions to begin with, and they can all be found on DVD for a couple bucks.

The Shakespeare stuff is nice to have access to, but most of those are also incredibly trite productions with a high snooze factor. They certainly do not find a middle ground between the poetics of of Shakespeare's language and telling an exciting story. The poetry really does shine through on them, but they lack entertainment value.

If they are able to offer more original content, and make deals with the producers of current productions both here and in London, then I will consider coughing up the cash of a subscription.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#27BroadwayHD
Posted: 10/26/15 at 5:42pm

Exactly. But anything like that is going to take years to come to fruition. I can't see this lasting very long at all.

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#28BroadwayHD
Posted: 10/26/15 at 5:53pm

Call_me_jorge said: "The casting shows were on ITV so I don't think calling bbc would work."

Actually, the first four (of five) were on BBC. Only the Jesus Christ Superstar one was on ITV.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

Jordan Catalano
#29BroadwayHD
Posted: 10/26/15 at 5:55pm

And calling this "BROADWAY"HD is such crap when it's basically all BBC filmed shows. 

AEA AGMA SM
#30BroadwayHD
Posted: 10/26/15 at 6:03pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Exactly. But anything like that is going to take years to come to fruition. I can't see this lasting very long at all."

I'd be willing to bet it will last as long as the company that originally filmed Jekyll & Hyde and Putting It Together did.

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#31BroadwayHD
Posted: 10/26/15 at 6:09pm

Jordan Catalano said: "And calling this "BROADWAY"HD is such crap when it's basically all BBC filmed shows. "

Not even the stage versions, right?

Studio/television adaptations aren't the same.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

Jordan Catalano
#32BroadwayHD
Posted: 10/26/15 at 6:17pm

EXACTLY. 

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#33BroadwayHD
Posted: 10/26/15 at 6:35pm

And almost none of them are in HD!

UnwoundFantasies
#34BroadwayHD
Posted: 10/26/15 at 7:09pm

Now if they could strike up a partnership with the NYPL I'd be interested...

Obviously that's a 0% chance though. But that's what they SHOULD do

eatlasagna
#35BroadwayHD
Posted: 10/26/15 at 7:25pm

I haven't seen anything from the Lincoln Archives... are the videos professionally shot and edited?  or are they just like a house video they show in theater lobbies

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#36BroadwayHD
Posted: 10/26/15 at 7:25pm

I get it that some producers may not want to film currently running shoes, but what about shows that are going to close. Like gentleman guide or hand to God. Or film shows and then when they close release them. Also I wouldn't mind getting an updated filmed version of curious incident.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

UnwoundFantasies
#37BroadwayHD
Posted: 10/26/15 at 7:32pm

Eatlasagna- they're professionally shot and edited! 

Braniff Forever
#38BroadwayHD
Posted: 10/26/15 at 8:30pm

I think that would also be a great idea to film shows that we're going to close and release them after they close. Why not? It keeps their name out there. I asked the producer of Broadway HD on FB if they were going to release more modern current shows and he said yes but gave no time frame of when that would happen. I wouldn't mind seeing some of the Shakespeare shows in the meantime and I have never seen Memphis so would like to see that. 

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#39BroadwayHD
Posted: 10/26/15 at 9:04pm

Memphis was available on Netflix at some point...not sure if that's still the case but the DVD can also be obtained for a pretty low price I think. 

Jordan Catalano
#40BroadwayHD
Posted: 10/26/15 at 9:06pm

You can buy it for $1.89 on Amazon right now.

firebolts Profile Photo
firebolts
#41BroadwayHD
Posted: 10/28/15 at 12:54am

Not worth it for $15. But I wish they would start filing Broadway productions; I don't live in New York and I can't afford to go there to see shows, so I would love to purchase videos of shows, or at least have a streaming service that is affordable and has the latest Broadway material. I am all for that, no matter how much producers wine and complain. It would eliminate bootlegs as well! I really, really, really wish they would do this. It's 2015. 

Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#42BroadwayHD
Posted: 10/28/15 at 1:08am

firebolts said: "It would eliminate bootlegs as well!"

Well, people would just trade pro-shot copies of things without paying, instead of audience cam versions... 

firebolts Profile Photo
firebolts
#43BroadwayHD
Posted: 10/28/15 at 1:12am

^ Yikes, that is true. :/

Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

c0113g3b0y
#44BroadwayHD
Posted: 10/28/15 at 9:20am

haterobics is right. even if they put a copyright protection on the video meaning that you won't be able to download it, one can easily use a recording software that captures whatever is on the computer desktop. keep the application on while the video is running in full screen and you've got yourself a nice pro shot play / musical lol.

The thing is, besides being an utter toad of a human being, Riedel usually has the least knowledge of the topic in the room. He doesn't usually understand the content or approach of a show, and is always completely and unfailingly socially ignorant, which makes it really infuriating when Susan can't get a word in edgewise. A definitive mansplainer; it's always painful when he has female guests. I watch the show sporadically when I really want to see a guest, because it's the only theatre talkshow we have, but it would be so much better without this hateful clown in a dadcoat. (thanks ScaryWarhol)

Pootie2
#45BroadwayHD
Posted: 10/28/15 at 9:33am

^Add a small watermark with the account name. I sometimes buy digital webcomics/books and noticed that some do that on every page. It's not bothersome, as most TV network logo "bugs" work the same way.

I also agree with the idea that airing only closed productions may be more enticing to producers, instead of competing against the live stage, though that also begs the question of when something should be filmed for this (perhaps only after a closing announcement).

#BoycottTrumplikePattiMurin

Jshan05 Profile Photo
Jshan05
#46BroadwayHD
Posted: 2/18/16 at 4:40pm

Wanted to bump this thread to see if anybody has subscribed to this. I love the idea, but it looks like the content is the same as when it came out (very BBC heavy and few actual Broadway shows...) I'm hoping that with the success of the livestream of 'Daddy Long Legs', producers would see this as a viable opportunity! Just wanted to get people's opinions or if they knew any insider information about things being added to the collection anytime soon...

Pootie2
#47BroadwayHD
Posted: 2/18/16 at 4:53pm

Jshan05 said: "Wanted to bump this thread to see if anybody has subscribed to this. I love the idea, but it looks like the content is the same as when it came out (very BBC heavy and few actual Broadway shows...) I'm hoping that with the success of the livestream of 'Daddy Long Legs', producers would see this as a viable opportunity! Just wanted to get people's opinions or if they knew any insider information about things being added to the collection anytime soon..."

But the only real way to measure the Daddy Long Legs stream "success" is whether or not it produced a noticeable uptick in ticket sales for the show still on stage, assuming it was serving as "advertising" the way Davenport insisted. In that respect, I don't believe the livestream was successful. But it did increase album sales, so there's that.

The Daddy Long Legs experiment does not exactly reflect BroadwayHD's potential or purpose because that was done for free marketing purposes; literally Davenport said that the main takeaway was only that "people want this." Well, of course they do. Lots of people would like free livestreaming for lots of things. Questionable commercial viability is probably why so many Broadway producers are still shunning BroadwayHD, I imagine. But there have been ideas shared in this thread that I think would help, if current producers can keep an open mind.

#BoycottTrumplikePattiMurin

Jshan05 Profile Photo
Jshan05
#48BroadwayHD
Posted: 2/18/16 at 5:02pm

^^ That makes sense, I suppose I used the wrong wording when I said success. I thought it was successful in the sense that a lot of my non-theater friends had the chance to watch something they usually wouldn't have and ended up really enjoying it.

Bottom line for me is that I am hopeful these new ventures with technology will have a snowball effect and more productions will be made available/will experiment with new ways to get their show out into the world (without taking away from the magic that is actually sitting in the theater and experiencing a show.)

Wee Thomas2 Profile Photo
Wee Thomas2
#49BroadwayHD
Posted: 2/19/16 at 12:54pm

I've never been to one of the movie theater presentations of a show, but the Martin McDonagh one coming up has me intrigued.

After seeing the moving cameras for Hamilton at the Grammys, though, I fear this is how they might present it.

Anyone here been to one of these?  Can you assure me that it's a single, fixed camera?  Or are they going to be rushing me around the stage?