School of Rock Previews

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#75School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/19/15 at 12:25am

Has anyone tried lottery yet? How packed izzit?

And if this is asked and answered elsewhere, oh well, tell me personally again... School of Rock Previews

Sam2
#76School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/19/15 at 1:11am

I've done it once and it wasn't super crowded until the Hamilton lottery was over and every single winner decided to try their luck at School of Rock. That's the downside of them doing their drawing only 90 minutes before curtain instead of the usual 120. It's still not as crowded as the usual Wicked lottery, though. Compare it to the Spring Awakening one. I could be wrong, but I would say 150-200 people when I was there.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#77School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/19/15 at 8:21am

I recently caught this! I won the lottery and had an EXCELLENT seat in the center of the front row of the orchestra. I LOVED the show. The energy in that theatre is through the roof.

Alex Brightman is stellart. The energy and passion that he brings to the character is something else. Then there are the kids... these kids are out of this world and scary talented. Sierra Boggess was out, but I was happy to see Mamie Parris (I have always loved her). I know people have mentioned that Sierra seemed miscast, but Mamie Parris was perfect as Rosalie Mullins. I loved her big act 2 number, "Where Did the Rock Go".

I was not a fan of the cast recording when I first listened to it, but after seeing the music performed live within the context of the show I have a much higher appreciation of the score, and I have been listening to it on my phone since I saw the show. The book for this is very good. It has all the famous one liners from the movie that people love, but it still feels very fresh. 

The set was very impressive! Anna Louizos designed the set to fill the wide stage. The set is BIG. Lots of different locations and set pieces. The transitions are seamless. 

Overall, I was thoroughly impressed with this and would go so far as to say that it is my favorite new musical of the season so far. It's just such a fun feel good show. I think this will have a nice long run!

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "
Updated On: 11/19/15 at 08:21 AM

Hairspray0901
#78School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/19/15 at 12:46pm

bwayphreak234 said: "Alex Brightman is making a stellar Broadway debut.

"

I believe Alex has a few Broadway credits under his belt...pretty sure I saw him in Matilda and Wicked. School of Rock Previews

KathyNYC2
#79School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/19/15 at 12:50pm

Yes in Matilda he played Michael Wormwood (and various chorus parts), Wicked ... and I believe he was also in Big Fish and Book of Mormon. This IS the first time he has played a leading role I believe...

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#80School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/19/15 at 12:58pm

Alex has played Boq in Wicked, Michael Wormwood in Matilda, was in Big Fish and the short-lived Glory Days. This is his fifth Broadway production.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#81School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/19/15 at 1:00pm

Sam2 said: "That's the downside of them doing their drawing only 90 minutes before curtain instead of the usual 120. "

I don't think shows doing them after Hamilton is coincidental. Hundreds of people nearby want to see a show... and were just turned away. School of Rock Previews

Thanks for the info!

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#82School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/19/15 at 3:29pm

Gah sorry everybody! Edited. My mistake.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

SFFrontRow
#83School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/19/15 at 5:03pm

Saw this at a Wed matinee 11/18. Really liked it, but sitting in 4th row aisle, I had the wall of speakers facing me. Once I got used to the volume of the songs, I settled in. Hard to believe this is ALW music, but a lot of the songs were pretty good.

The cast was uniformly excellent. The kids are really quite good. Just watch the backup singers in the band, they really do look like backup singers but kid versions. Really outstanding.

Is this musical breaking new ground? No. Is it a great time at the theater? YES.

One wonderment... I read in a prior post that Sierra Bogess' talent was wasted in this role. She was out yesterday, but her understudy (per the Playbill) did not go on. Mamie Parris played the role. She is the actress who normally plays Patty, the roommate's girlfriend? Is it possible that Sierra departed? Maybe I am late to the table, I've been out of touch with things for several months and I'm not up on the latest news.

Mamie was a pretty good tight wound principal, but the character is a little underwritten for someone like Sierra. Kind of like the Keri Butler in Catch Me if You Can.

Overall, a great time at a fun and high energy musical. I hope it does well (if nothing else, it will have the school field trip business). I feel for the concession people, no tips from school trips.

FunnyGirl5
#84School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/19/15 at 5:11pm

Hairspray0901 said: "bwayphreak234 said: "Alex Brightman is making a stellar Broadway debut.

" Is this yet another philly pinto fake account? I always get that feeling with these brand-new short-and-inane threads, especially when this can be Googled. " Pootie2

BOM  Profile Photo
BOM
#85School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/19/15 at 8:27pm

Saw the matinee yesterday and absolutely loved it. Alex Brightman was terrific as Dewey Finn. He's giving his all up there and you can tell he's having a blast. As everyone else has said, these kids are freaking incredible. The kids who played Summer, Tamika, and Zach were real standouts for me, but all the kids did an excellent job. I sat in Row D of the orchestra dead center and it was the perfect seat for this show, though I feel sitting in the mezz couldn't be that bad either. The set was great and the music was overall pretty good. All in all I think this might be my favorite show that has opened so far this season. Dare I say I think I had more fun at School of Rock than Hamilton.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#86School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/19/15 at 9:24pm

When is miranda cosgrave going to endorse this?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#87School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/20/15 at 10:26am

Is Cameron producing this?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

mamaleh
#88School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/20/15 at 1:48pm

I lost the lottery last night, but since they offered lottery-loser seats for only $12 more than the $25 lottery price, I opted.  I was placed in Row A of the mezz pretty far to the side, but you miss only one or two minor things. (Speaking of which, for those who've seen it, I couldn't quite see the way Dewey writes the letter "S" on the blackboard, drawing audience laughs. How did he draw it?)   At intermission I moved to a central spot in the row.  Wonderful, probably optimal view, but watch out for those strobe lights towards the end of Act II--they're blinding.)

I enjoyed the energy and talents of Alex Brightman and those amazing kids. Speaking of the kids, I found it refreshing and interesting that in their exclusive and expensive school many if not most of the kids seemed to be minorities.  That hopefully reflects a new, taken for granted reality of higher socio-economic level membership and opportunity for all kinds of people.

Lots of families in attendance and teens in groups.  The book seemed an odd amalgamation of early 2000s and contemporary references. (Is heavy metal still popular?)  Somehow hearing references to Taylor Swift, the Kardashians and metal rockers indicated a not-quite smoothed out book that hasn't yet decided when all this takes place.  In all, I'd say I had a fairly good but not great time. The score was serviceable, though, and definitely superior to that of ALLEGIANCE.  (The only musicals I'd call great in recent years are BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY and HAMILTON.)  But that's OK.  The show moves forward nicely, and even though I felt the audience was being manipulated to feel a certain way--well, maybe all shows do that--I just went along with it.  People around me were clapping along, which I find irritating when I'm trying to listen to lyrics, but I guess they were caught up in the high energy of it all.   This show is definitely a feel-good, crowd pleaser, even if it doesn't aim all that high.    One could do worse.

And by the way, Dewey is supposed to be unattractive.  I thought he was nice-looking and likable.  So there you go.

Updated On: 11/20/15 at 01:48 PM

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#89School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/20/15 at 2:18pm

KathyNYC2 said: "Yes in Matilda he played Michael Wormwood (and various chorus parts), Wicked ... and I believe he was also in Big Fish and Book of Mormon. This IS the first time he has played a leading role I believe..."

No, he was never in Mormon. http://www.playbillvault.com/Person/Detail/32901/Alex-Brightman

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

broadwayboy223
#90School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/20/15 at 2:35pm

So glad Mamie Parris is getting some small attention. She's so talented

Speed
#91School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/21/15 at 4:15am

mamaleh- he doesn't draw an S.  That's the joke.  He draws an F because his actual last name begins with an F.  He forgot he was posing as Ned Schneebly.

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#92School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/21/15 at 5:41am

Three questions:

1. Is the stage high for this production?

2. Has ALW been at any previews since the first / does he sign?

3. By when do you think the show will be "frozen"?

ChrisTyler12882 Profile Photo
ChrisTyler12882
#93School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/21/15 at 11:56am

Does anyone know what the story is with Sierra's absences this week? I read that Mamie was on as the principal for much of the week.

mamaleh
#94School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/21/15 at 7:46pm

Ah, thanks, Speed. That was about the only bit I missed.  

pattilupwned
#95School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/21/15 at 8:06pm

Rumor is she broke her ankle and is out of the show with her role possibly being recast. Parris is covering her role for the time being 

broadwayboy223
#96School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/22/15 at 12:21am

If that's true I hope they let Mamie take over. It could be good for her!

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#97School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/22/15 at 1:02am

Some discussion here: http://www.talkinbroadway.com/allthatchat/d.php?id=2313263 

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#98School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/22/15 at 1:28am

From the thread - it seems only one or two people are spreading this about her breaking her foot/spraining her ankle.  Its weird because if she was hurt she's pretty active on Twitter/Instagram - wouldn't she share something?  Unless Really Useful doesn't want pre-Opening gossip to go amuk if they're not sure she can continue or not

exedore
#99School of Rock Previews
Posted: 11/22/15 at 4:20am

"2. Has ALW been at any previews since the first / does he sign?"

I saw ALW at the end of a Stephen Ward preview. He was very much there to work and will be polite, but doesn't want to talk to fans or sign things.