pixeltracker

THE COLOR PURPLE Previews- Page 4

THE COLOR PURPLE Previews

Depaultheatrekid Profile Photo
Depaultheatrekid
#75THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/11/15 at 9:10pm

People on this board make ridiculous assumptions and predictions based on very little evidence. Its at once entertaining and baffling. The fact that Erivo is far more nuanced and runs away with her scenes with JHud is because she did an entire run of the production before, and a more seasoned performer in general. I would hope she would be opening night ready on 1st preview. However, Jennifer is making her broadway debut, has never been much of an actress, her oscar winning performance is a series of Bill Condon infused line readings, great editing, and phenomenal interrupting of iconic songs. Every film she has done since then, leaves quite a bit to be desired for on a basic level when it comes to acting. The fact that she was comfortable, relaxed, grounded, and mostly had articulation issues but didn't blow the few reviewers on this post away is not surprising. In fact, that's actually good news. It's her 1st preview on a stage in a show, anywhere, ever. It even makes since that Danielle would fair much better, because she is a Julliard trained actor. 

In reference, to people's opinion on the score and book. I saw final preview of the original production and while the script certainly is almost verbatim in some parts, i'm excited about Doyle's streamlining to get to the heart of Celie's journey. The score while not the most versed musical theatre score, is very enjoyable to me and many friends of mine. It is a score that we return to in the midst of today's r&b, gospel, and top 40. Particularly: Our Prayer, Lily of the Field, Brown Betty, Too Beautiful for Words, Push Da Button, What About Love?, Miss Celie's Pants and of course I'm Here. For one reason or another, many people find those songs moving and entertaining off the OCR. Also, the church women/narrators are needed for the brevity that balances the pain of which Celie is dealing with, and the commentary reflects that of the exact church, and most audiences for this particular show will identify and resonate with it immediately. 

Excited to see this production soon!

Updated On: 11/11/15 at 09:10 PM

Broadwaystar2
#76THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/11/15 at 9:22pm

ACL2006 said: "tonight's preview is up at TKTS for 50% off. I guess the show isn't selling that well. Maybe they should release a discount code now??

"

It's the second preview! 

Broadwaystar2
#77THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/11/15 at 9:22pm

ACL2006 said: "tonight's preview is up at TKTS for 50% off. I guess the show isn't selling that well. Maybe they should release a discount code now??

"

It's the second preview! 

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#78THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/11/15 at 9:24pm

Jennifer did very well with her numbers and I think her acting will get sharper during previews. I thought her diction was fine but I was sitting close. 

BroadwayLuv2 Profile Photo
BroadwayLuv2
#79THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/12/15 at 12:24am

RippedMan said: "Was told they sell $35 partial view tickets for rush. 20 tickets. But they offered me $59 partial view tickets in the mezz. 

How is the view? I mean how partial is it? It's not a big set, so why it is considered partial?

"

RippedMan - where the $59 partial view seats in the front or rear mezz? Just curious?  Are these only offered day of in addition to rush or can you get these in advance? 

Want to try and rush next week but if I don't get their early enough this might be a decent alternative.

Thank you!

Broadwaystar2
#80THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/12/15 at 7:19am

BroadwayLuv2 said: "RippedMan said: "Was told they sell $35 partial view tickets for rush. 20 tickets. But they offered me $59 partial view tickets in the mezz. 

Honestly the way the set is built. There really isn't any partial view. The set doesn't even take up the entire stage. The 59 dollar tickets are better than the rush tickets that are in the boxes which are extreme right and left. But even still, the views are fine. You won't miss a thing sitting anywhere. I hope this helps. 

How is the view? I mean how partial is it? It's not a big set, so why it is considered partial?

"

RippedMan - where the $59 partial view seats in the front or rear mezz? Just curious?  Are these only offered day of in addition to rush or can you get these in advance? 

Want to try and rush next week but if I don't get their early enough this might be a decent alternative.

Thank you!

"

JeffDaEgg2
#81THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/12/15 at 9:32am

I'm guessing some of the rush tickets are in the boxes and some are in the orchestra.  Does anyone know which they give out first?  I remember how awful those boxes were for Once and I'd rather not repeat that again (not whining about rush, just trying to strategize where to be in the line).

HBBrock
#82THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/12/15 at 1:43pm

I have Rush seats extreme side C 12 and D 12. How much will I miss? I can't picture extreme sides in the Jacobs.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#83THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/12/15 at 2:00pm

The set looks kind of like the same style for Sweeney Todd, where it's a a rectangular plank of wood? So maybe you miss the back corners? I think I'd rather just buy a TKTS ticket for it. I don't want to miss Doyle's stage pictures. 

BroadwayLuv2 Profile Photo
BroadwayLuv2
#84THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/12/15 at 2:59pm

Anyone know if the $59 partial view seats can be purchased in advance and if they are front or rear mezz?  Thanks! 

iluvtheatertrash
#85THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/12/15 at 3:57pm

Okay, I'll be that guy... Did anyone stage door? Does Jennifer come out and greet fans? Thanks!

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

Broadwaystar2
#86THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/12/15 at 4:32pm

iluvtheatertrash said: "Okay, I'll be that guy... Did anyone stage door? Does Jennifer come out and greet fans? Thanks!

"

YES! Every night! Her car is right outside the exit!

iluvtheatertrash
#87THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/12/15 at 4:52pm

Amazing! THANK YOU! I hope she poses for photos.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#88THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/12/15 at 5:02pm

I actually saw a video of her singing happy birthday to a fan from the first preview. She seems very sweet! Is it super crowded?

Broadwaystar2
#89THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/12/15 at 7:22pm

Here again tonight. Looking to see what new changes if any have occurred!

Littleshopofcarrie Profile Photo
Littleshopofcarrie
#90THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/12/15 at 8:29pm

iluvtheatertrash said: "Amazing! THANK YOU! I hope she poses for photos.

"

I saw a few pictures on Instagram of all three leading ladies posing for pictures!

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#91THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/13/15 at 12:13am

What a spectacular experience.

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#92THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/13/15 at 12:34am

The show?  Or the instagram pics?

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#93THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/13/15 at 12:38am

The show.

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."

Broadwaystar2
#94THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/13/15 at 12:42am

I went back for a second time tonight. After going the first preview. And WOW I have to say this is one of the best revivals I've seen in a very long time. The piece is simple of course. But it's also smart. The actors have nothing to hind behind which makes every moment so truthful and real. I must also say. I truly enjoyed J Hud. She was very relaxed and easy on stage. Not singing to loud as she often can. The entire feel of the show is as if real people were telling is the story. As if they all belonged to that one little town. And new everyone in it. Cynthia Erivo is giving a star turn if I've ever seen one. Danielle Brooks is phenomenal as Sofia. Even the character of Mister played by Isaiah Washington makes you care about him towards the end. I could never compare this production to the last because it's so different. I feel like I'm watching a completely new story. I encourage those wanting to see a truly beautiful, truthful piece of art. Go see this show. As of right now. The Color Purple would have my vote for best revival hands down.

ceeejaye
#95THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/13/15 at 3:02pm

Can someone tell me the run time of the show.

THANKS

Broadwaystar2
#96THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/13/15 at 3:12pm

ceeejaye said: "Can someone tell me the run time of the show.

THANKS

"About 2:15"

RW3
#97THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/13/15 at 4:50pm

A profile of Jennifer being in The Color Purple will be on CBS Sunday Morning this Sunday.

sklabam
#98THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/13/15 at 7:12pm

Saw it in London and so looking forward to seeing it tonight. Will update tomorrow!!

smidge
#99THE COLOR PURPLE Previews
Posted: 11/13/15 at 7:46pm

I was surprised when Broadway Star said Isaiah Washington was in it. But he's not. It's Isaiah Johnson.