RW3
#100Hunchback Album
Posted: 1/22/16 at 1:22am

IT'S SO GOOD.

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#101Hunchback Album
Posted: 1/22/16 at 3:36am

'Hellfire' left me a little disappointed  - It was haunting, scary and trilling live, and i liked that he capped the last note with a growl (Which he didn't do on the recording). Just being nit picky, but it's my favorite number. LOL

Darreyl with an L!

Quasi
#102Hunchback Album
Posted: 1/22/16 at 4:37am

I bought the CD here in Germany yesterday. I still think that the German recording is superior, especially Drew Sarich in the title role. But its great to have a further recording of Menkens best score in my opinion.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#103Hunchback Album
Posted: 1/22/16 at 7:00am

I do agree that some of the voices are sleepy and some of the German songs are superior to Americans' like the finale and Someday. Hate that the finale is so lowered and Someday is just a duet. But, this album is really a dream come true. Powerful, beautiful, and stunning. 

owenblinky
#104Hunchback Album
Posted: 1/22/16 at 7:28am

Why did they keep the stupid narration in the finale? Just... why... IT'S A SCORE ALBUM!!!

No words...

Hunchback Album

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#105Hunchback Album
Posted: 1/22/16 at 7:31am

Well, without it, how would you know what was happening? It's not like they had the narration in the actual scene at the same time as the actions it narrated were being performed!

Oh... wait...

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#106Hunchback Album
Posted: 1/22/16 at 8:16am

I'm listening right now. I'm on the second track, and I'm very impressed so far.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

swmwithsharks Profile Photo
swmwithsharks
#107Hunchback Album
Posted: 1/22/16 at 9:00am

I haven't had a chance to listen to the whole thing yet, but overall I think it sounds great. The only thing, as others have mentioned, is that the God-awful narration is included. Already, one or two moments that were about to give me a chill were ruined by some over-excited ensemble member exclaiming "And THEN! Quasimodo did THIS!" as if narrating a children's show. It was terrible in the show live and in some ways it's even more terrible here.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#108Hunchback Album
Posted: 1/22/16 at 12:33pm

The narration doesn't really bother me. If anything I think it actually translates better on the cast album since we don't have the visuals of the stage production. On stage there were instances where the ensemble was narrating as the actors were showing us the action which seemed unnecessary but when the visual is stripped away the narration is providing the listener with useful information describing the action that we can't see. I know most cast albums just require the listener to use their imagination in those instances but it is what it is. The narration was part of the storybook concept used to tell the story on stage. I didn't expect that they would remove it all for the album.

Michael Kras Profile Photo
Michael Kras
#109Hunchback Album
Posted: 1/22/16 at 1:33pm

I was most looking forward to Heaven's Light as I believe it's one of the most gorgeous songs in the score. I was disappointed in the lack of head voice. The belting loses something for me, and I much prefer the delicate performance of Tom Hulce from the original film soundtrack.

But wow. What an album.

CATSNYrevival
#110Hunchback Album
Posted: 1/22/16 at 1:41pm

I kind of like the belt on "Heaven's Light." The first part is tender like in the film and I appreciate that but I like how the belted section melts into the intro to "Hellfire."

broadwayboy223
#111Hunchback Album
Posted: 1/22/16 at 2:35pm

I've been listening to the album and i think its quite beautiful i just think that Esmerelda needs some sort of solo Act 2 number. I wanna hear more of Ciara Renee.

broadwayboy223
#112Hunchback Album
Posted: 1/22/16 at 4:47pm

Also I wish Rhythm of The Tamborine ended on a belt note. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#113Hunchback Album
Posted: 1/22/16 at 6:14pm

The awful narration and Arden's elephant man voice just kill it. Why does Quasimodo need a faux British accent?!

CATSNYrevival
#114Hunchback Album
Posted: 1/22/16 at 6:24pm

I can't speak for the accent but my understanding of the voice is that the character is portrayed in the show as nearly deaf from living in the bell tower all those years and has difficulty communicating. It's a throwback to the 1939 film version and the original novel in which Quasimodo could barely speak and is described as being half blind as well.

Updated On: 1/22/16 at 06:24 PM

amoni Profile Photo
amoni
#115Hunchback Album
Posted: 1/22/16 at 6:49pm

Why does the first song just end? If you're listening to the whole album it seques right into track two but track one is not a complete piece. Why didn't they just add the one minute and four second cut to the second track. It's eight track deja vu all over again. And I know it's not a download glitch because Amazon sold the CD with a free download and both do it. Really annoying.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#116Hunchback Album
Posted: 1/22/16 at 7:01pm

CATS, I'm not saying it's not based in a good place or contextually correct, I just think for a musical version, it should be dropped. We're suppose to be on his side, we know he's deformed, we don't need the voice. 

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#117Hunchback Album
Posted: 1/22/16 at 7:38pm

Despite never receiving a shipping e-mail my CD in fact arrived today!!

I just finished listening, and while I enjoyed it there were a few really annoying parts. I'm not really super fond of the two Esmeralda/Pheobus duets in act two (plus why are there two??). I wish they had added more of the music from the German production in but i understandI also still hate the new opener. There's some synth going on at certain parts which kinda bugged me but overall the orchestrations were very good and sounded great for how small the orchestra was.

Despite the few qualms, I still really really enjoyed it! The voices are amazing, and it's such a ravishing score how can you go wrong. I'm so glad to finally have it IN ENGLISH! I still got chills where the chills are always expected with this score, and that marks it as a success in my book.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

EponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
#118Hunchback Album
Posted: 1/22/16 at 10:45pm

LOVING THIS. Some minor quibbles, very sad this isn't coming to Broadway yet. 

I like most people, it seems, am disappointed by the changes to Someday. Both singers sound terrific (gosh Ciara has such a beautiful sound at such a young age! Super jealous!) but the choir coming at the end on the Der Glokner... cast album was so incredibly beautiful, I'd sad not to hear that. 

I am the biggest Drew Sarich fan, but Michael Arden does such a beautiful job, and goodness he holds a glorious long note! "Leave me alone! (Made of Stone), "Spend one day out there" (Out There) and "Sound the alarm!" (Esmeralda) are amazing. I keep going back to listen to those specific notes. 

Loving the Ener'acte!

Love me Patrick Page, I can't fathom the personal struggles he's had, and you wouldn't know...He truly captures Frollo. Bless him. 

The end of "Esmeralda." Perfection.

I am sad at the changes in the opening number (Bells of..) why did they change it so it was about Frollo's brother? So he could say he loved someone at the end of the show? The film version was perfection (with Quasi's Mom), they shouldn't have messed with it. Also didn't like the narration saying "and this happened...meanwhile!, etc" Granted, I didn't see the staged version, but it's such a strong piece on it's own, why make it a play within a play?

And of course, thrilled to hear the "new" non-movie material in English finally. Essie's intro into "Someday" especially, and the Finale always kills me. 

Overall, so, so pleased this recording was made! 

Updated On: 1/22/16 at 10:45 PM

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#119Hunchback Album
Posted: 1/23/16 at 1:37am

The story of Frollo's brother in Bells of Notre Dame is such a glaringly misguided change; unless you were changing the entire show to match this thread from the novel, it's not worth it. The story of Quasimodo's mother and Frollo is so much more interesting and relevant for the musical. Better lyrics by miles, too. 

Updated On: 1/23/16 at 01:37 AM

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#120Hunchback Album
Posted: 1/23/16 at 1:38am

The opening as it exists now feels like the opening to "Ragtime," only none of the information ends up useful. Just a lot of narrative facts flung at you. 

CATSNYrevival
#121Hunchback Album
Posted: 1/23/16 at 3:08am

I think the prologue with Jehen was written because they wanted Frollo and Quasimodo to be related. That way Frollo isn't just taking care of a random Gypsie's babie but in fact taking care of his brother's son. I agree though that we maybe didn't need so much of that backstory. It might have even been more interesting to find out their familial relation later in the show.

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#122Hunchback Album
Posted: 1/23/16 at 1:28pm

I'm also still really bugged by the iffy cover art. I made my own cover based on the German CD cover for my iTunes.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#123Hunchback Album
Posted: 1/23/16 at 1:35pm

Might you share it with us? :) lol.

CATSNYrevival
#124Hunchback Album
Posted: 1/23/16 at 1:47pm

I would have liked cover art using the Papermill Playhouse artwork but it's kind of difficult to find a place to add additional text the way that they imprinted the logo on the bell.