pixeltracker

Grease Live! Official Thread- Page 34

Grease Live! Official Thread

Johnpod
#825Grease Live! Official Thread
Posted: 2/2/16 at 11:29am

Been following this thread for a while.  I found a new podcast about Grease:Live! that made me laugh. Check it out!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/offbook-radio/id1077140819?mt=2

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#826Grease Live! Official Thread
Posted: 2/2/16 at 11:32am

I think some of you are confusing audio sync issues with lip-syncing. There were some rough spots where the live picture and sound went out of sync.

Also, I tried to watch the opening again on Hulu, and the whole video was out of sync with the audio. It never caught up. I turned it off after a minute. They really need to fix that.

And disneybroadwayfan22, best wishes to you. I'm glad Vanessa's performance inspired you that way. She's a real trooper. We need more like her around.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#827Grease Live! Official Thread
Posted: 2/2/16 at 12:48pm

JM226 said: "hi, carlos. i worked on the technical side of many similar projects for several years so I admit a general sense of defensiveness. my post was not directed at you, though. you have shown a genuine appreciation and love for all aspects of this broadcast from the beginning and I thank you for that. my post was directed at many others who are disregarding the success of this broadcast merely based on the performances. there is much more to this broadcast than just the performances. that is all. thanks

okay that's cool JM226 thanks.

daisybeetle Profile Photo
daisybeetle
#828Grease Live! Official Thread
Posted: 2/2/16 at 1:26pm

Watching the broadcast, I was thinking that maybe someone from Dancing With the Stars(not Juilianne) was involved because the outdoor production numbers reminded me of the opening of the  finale on dwts. The trams ,and the moving from one set to another, and even the live audience of young girls was the same. Turns out yes, and his name is Alex Rudzinski from dwts. He was the live broadcast director for Grease. He and Thomas Kail did a fantastic job and deserve the most praise. My favorite performer was Keke.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#829Grease Live! Official Thread
Posted: 2/2/16 at 3:59pm

I hope it's made clear somewhere that Thomas Kail did not direct the live broadcast - he directed the actors during rehearsals and camera blocking but he was NOT directing the cameras during the live broadcast.  He's being praised and credited for this which is expected, unfortunately.   

CarlosAlberto
#830Grease Live! Official Thread
Posted: 2/2/16 at 4:31pm

Alex Rudzinski must be pissed....

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#831Grease Live! Official Thread
Posted: 2/2/16 at 4:38pm

I think they are crediting Kail with the idea to open it up like this, but I'm also seeing praise from the trade reviews for Rudzinski. As far as "awards recognition" goes, I'm sure they would be nominated jointly as co-directors.

Updated On: 2/2/16 at 04:38 PM

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#832Grease Live! Official Thread
Posted: 2/2/16 at 5:55pm

Lovin life right now !!  Got home ---- horrible day--- but show is Free On Demand now !! 

RW3
#833Grease Live! Official Thread
Posted: 2/2/16 at 6:48pm

Johnpod said: "Been following this thread for a while.  I found a new podcast about Grease:Live! that made me laugh. Check it out!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/offbook-radio/id1077140819?mt=2

I'm glad you enjoyed them. Personally, I found their "criticism" to be more of complaining.

"

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#834Grease Live! Official Thread
Posted: 2/2/16 at 6:55pm

I hope it's made clear somewhere that Thomas Kail did not direct the live broadcast - he directed the actors during rehearsals and camera blocking but he was NOT directing the cameras during the live broadcast.  He's being praised and credited for this which is expected, unfortunately.

It seems as though camera blocking was all Alex Rudzinski, as stated by the Associate Director Carrie Havel in her (now) viral video of her calling camera shots to Greased Lightin'.

Her description:
"A lot of people have asked what it means to be the Associate Director on a show like Grease Live. Here's a peek behind the curtain. Every shot in the show was designed and scripted by our director Alex Rudzinski. My job was to execute that plan. You hear me calling shot numbers and camera moves carefully coordinated with the music. My head stays in the script and Alex, to my right, keeps an eye on cameras to adjust framing and pacing."

Jarethan
#835Grease Live! Official Thread
Posted: 2/2/16 at 7:14pm

JM226 said: "for those who still fail to appreciate and grasp the technical achievements of Sunday night, I present you with this video of the often overlooked people who actually make the magic happen. without them you couldn't have watched the performances you're all now discussing and obsessing over.

Well appreciated.  For me, they were the stars of the production.  Grease is a cute musical.  The production was incredible, and it was because of the success in considering new possibilities that the bar has been set so high for future productions.

Funny, when they announced this, I thought the idea of Fox TV presenting a live musical bordered on insanity.  Now, they have redefined what Is possible on live TV.  Even with something as slight as Grease.

https://www.facebook.com/carrie.havel/videos/10153418696832898/

"

ChiTheaterFan
#836Grease Live! Official Thread
Posted: 2/2/16 at 9:03pm

For those of you who have watched on demand, did they fix the technical issues?  I'm watching on my DVR and might go watch and back hand jive and hopelessly devoted to you again. 

Really enjoying this more than I expected!  Much better than the NBC shows. 

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#837Grease Live! Official Thread
Posted: 2/2/16 at 9:14pm

ChiTheaterFan said: "For those of you who have watched on demand, did they fix the technical issues?  I'm watching on my DVR and might go watch and back hand jive and hopelessly devoted to you again. >> 

just finished watching ! Didnt notice any glitches at all :))  

Was paying special attention to the 10-15 secs of silence during the broadcast on Sunday --- was corrected 

Really enjoying this more than I expected!  Much better than the NBC shows. 

"

ChiTheaterFan
#838Grease Live! Official Thread
Posted: 2/2/16 at 10:49pm

Great; thanks!  Yes, in addition to the silence I noticed static during Hopelessly Devoted to You.  Not as bad as the silence, but still definitely a glitch.

I'll go back and watch those scenes on demand.

I don't think I've seen Grease in at least twenty years.  I don't remember particularly caring for it, but I was in high school.  I loved this!  Truly enjoyed it.  What a feat for them to do that live.  Sure, it wasn't perfect, but I can't believe what they pulled off.  In my view leaps and bounds above the NBC musicals.  I hope NBC takes a cue and learns what having a live audience add.  (Although I did think the use of the live audience was awkward because it seemed like they weren't there for some of the scenes so there was no laughter where you'd think there should be.  But I'm sure they'll learn from those experiences.)

lambchop2
#839Grease Live! Official Thread
Posted: 2/2/16 at 11:00pm

I don't know about On Demand, but the version on fox.com doesn't have any static in Hopelessly Devoted to You and no audio silence in Hand Jive.

CarlosAlberto
#840Grease Live! Official Thread
Posted: 2/3/16 at 7:19am

It's available to download now via Google Play. $9.99 Hi-Def version.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#841Grease Live! Official Thread
Posted: 2/3/16 at 7:31am

I just pre-ordered it on Vudu in HDX for $9.99.

Glad the audio issues were fixed. If they're gone already and the playback is smooth it was probably a network feed issue and not a production audio issue to begin with. That just means the network's own feed to the satellites was the problem, so we shouldn't crucify the sound crew on the production.

MVintheheartland
#842Grease Live! Official Thread
Posted: 2/3/16 at 7:32am

i just couldn't get into it. Yes, it was a technical triumph, and nobody screwed up, except the golf cart going over the curb. But please don't let this be the production other live musicals aspire to. Too busy, too many sets, and the acting was perfunctory. I don't blame the actors, I know they were trying to manage all the scene changes and technology.

But just because they can do this, should they? It's like CGI, yeah, so now we can have 100,000 soldiers in the movie, but do we need to? When they do live "Hamilton", will there be a helicopter to transport Thomas Jefferson from Monticello to New York? 

I guess I just like the magic of live theater without so many bells and whistles. 

I know, "get off my lawn". 

Updated On: 2/3/16 at 07:32 AM

Dave19
#843Grease Live! Official Thread
Posted: 2/3/16 at 7:52am

I see your point.

I think the whole "live" atmosphere and excitement really added to the momentum.

But in a way this is more "film" than "theatre". So multiple takes, more camera points, could have made it even more spectacular. But then you can't promote the "live" thing. But for future generations it is a film document.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#844Grease Live! Official Thread
Posted: 2/3/16 at 7:54am

My feeling is if you want to see a live stage show, then go see a live stage show. This is live television, and there is no reason why these properties shouldn't be adapted for the medium and all it has to offer, just like film adaptations of theatrical properties do the same.

Grease may not be the best musical ever written (duh), and this may not be the best performance of it, but as a live television musical, this raised the bar and showed us what was possible. The answer: ANYTHING is possible. That's a very exciting challenge, and I hope future broadcasts don't chain their imaginations to a proscenium-style offering. Save that for the theatre where those constraints are real and legitimate.

Updated On: 2/3/16 at 07:54 AM

JM226
#845Grease Live! Official Thread
Posted: 2/3/16 at 9:36am

i will keep harping back to the final 10 minutes or so of the broadcast. the amount of agility, strategy, coordination and planning it took to perfectly execute that would probably be unimaginable to those not in live television production. i really think people are taking the technical and production achievements for granted here. it is not all about the actual source material or the performances. there is much more to it and if you don't believe that, go re-watch the last two NBC disasters and notice how much of their technical execution -- or lack thereof -- ended up negatively impacting your experience.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#846Grease Live! Official Thread
Posted: 2/3/16 at 9:40am

The technical achievement really was the best part of the project, particularly after the technical flatness and clumsiness of both Peter Pan and The Wiz. I would imagine that Hairspray will follow this format, particularly as so many of the musical numbers would lend themselves to spectacular technical transitions.

Dave19
#847Grease Live! Official Thread
Posted: 2/3/16 at 9:50am

I also think the noise of the live audiences made it much more alive. Scenes that would otherwise have felt flat came to life now. This made it feel like a (high technical standard) theatre performance. 

That's why everything in 1 take kind of works. 

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#848Grease Live! Official Thread
Posted: 2/3/16 at 10:04am

Waiting for the Digital HD to show up on iTunes, but nothing yet. ;

EvanK Profile Photo
EvanK
#849Grease Live! Official Thread
Posted: 2/3/16 at 11:15am

Has anyone figured out the Grease Lightning car change out yet?