pixeltracker

ABC hops onboard: Network will present 3-hour DIRTY DANCING event; Abigail Breslin to star- Page 3

ABC hops onboard: Network will present 3-hour DIRTY DANCING event; Abigail Breslin to star

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#50ABC hops onboard: Network will present 3-hour DIRTY DANCING event; Abigail Breslin to star
Posted: 5/25/17 at 7:22am

But frankly....shame on you that are body-shaming her.  Talk about her acting, her singing, her dancing sure....leaver her damn body alone.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#51ABC hops onboard: Network will present 3-hour DIRTY DANCING event; Abigail Breslin to star
Posted: 5/25/17 at 8:27am

Good Lord, that was bad.  Since this was on ABC, I'm really surprised they didn't hire one of their dancing pros from Dancing with the Stars to play Johnnie.  I at least thought Colt would be good in the dancing sections, but he looked uncomfortable.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Kristie-K2 Profile Photo
Kristie-K2
#52ABC hops onboard: Network will present 3-hour DIRTY DANCING event; Abigail Breslin to star
Posted: 5/25/17 at 9:43am

Abigail Breslin looked fine....She is not a cow.....She is a lovely young woman.....

It was a mess....I give it a D+.....I do love Miss Katey Sagal

bwayrose7 Profile Photo
bwayrose7
#53ABC hops onboard: Network will present 3-hour DIRTY DANCING event; Abigail Breslin to star
Posted: 5/25/17 at 10:34am

So did the ending read as a blatant La La Land ripoff to anyone else? Just me?

dramamama611
#54ABC hops onboard: Network will present 3-hour DIRTY DANCING event; Abigail Breslin to star
Posted: 5/25/17 at 10:53am

Someone already mentioned that.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#55ABC hops onboard: Network will present 3-hour DIRTY DANCING event; Abigail Breslin to star
Posted: 5/25/17 at 10:58am

and I hate to say it, but Ms. Breslin is a bit of a cow.

Doesn't look like you hated making a nasty remark at all.  I hate to say it, but you sound like a bit of a douchebag.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

loveinnewyorkcity Profile Photo
loveinnewyorkcity
#56ABC hops onboard: Network will present 3-hour DIRTY DANCING event; Abigail Breslin to star
Posted: 5/25/17 at 12:38pm

My favorite part of the show was the commercial breaks. 

bwayrose7 Profile Photo
bwayrose7
#57ABC hops onboard: Network will present 3-hour DIRTY DANCING event; Abigail Breslin to star
Posted: 5/25/17 at 12:38pm

dramamama611 said: "Someone already mentioned that.

This is what happens when I post before I've had my coffee :) Sorry!

Sunny11
#58ABC hops onboard: Network will present 3-hour DIRTY DANCING event; Abigail Breslin to star
Posted: 5/25/17 at 1:00pm

I hope that Abigail didn't peak at 10 years old. How was she in " All the fine boys" ?

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#59ABC hops onboard: Network will present 3-hour DIRTY DANCING event; Abigail Breslin to star
Posted: 5/25/17 at 1:15pm

Breslin was pretty terrible. I actually had the thought multiple times that it WAS a live performance because she was so noticeably nervous and under prepared. But wow, I still can't get over how disappointing it was.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#60ABC hops onboard: Network will present 3-hour DIRTY DANCING event; Abigail Breslin to star
Posted: 5/25/17 at 1:19pm

Sunny11 said: "I hope that Abigail didn't peak at 10 years old. How was she in " All the fine boys" ?"

I don't know about All The Fine Boys, but she was phenomenal in Scream Queens. She was my favorite part of that show.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

broadwaysfguy
#61ABC hops onboard: Network will present 3-hour DIRTY DANCING event; Abigail Breslin to star
Posted: 5/25/17 at 1:41pm

wow...official winner of worst tv remake of movie ever!

favorite critic quotes:

"Somebody should have put this entire project in a corner!"

"Dear God, Nooooooo!"

BobbyBubbi  Profile Photo
BobbyBubbi
#62ABC hops onboard: Network will present 3-hour DIRTY DANCING event; Abigail Breslin to star
Posted: 5/25/17 at 2:25pm

I agree, Abigail Breslin was the best thing about Scream Queens (a show recently cancelled after a dreadful sophomore season). 

However, she was severely miscast here. I'm not body shaming but for this remake (and it IS a remake so I'm taking them to task here)  probably would have been a good idea to go with someone who is a BIT more of a dancer (Jennifer Grey WAS a dancer) and find a Johnny who could actially act AND move his hips! Its called Dirty Dancing for christs sakes! Am I reaching for the stars here? 

I'm curious to see if Jennifer Grey will weigh in here. 

.......now to pop in the DVD of the original, to get that horrible remake out of my head. 

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#63ABC hops onboard: Network will present 3-hour DIRTY DANCING event; Abigail Breslin to star
Posted: 5/25/17 at 5:05pm

I thought all of Breslin's costumes were disgracefully unflattering, I definitely don't think she is a cow but her costumes made her look overweight and frumpy. Everyone had awful hair and makeup too (some of the lipsticks were just WTF).

Her performance otherwise was pretty awful tho. She looked uncomfortable 100% of the time and had more sexual chemistry with her father and the pregnant girl than with Johnny.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

Baby_Love Profile Photo
Baby_Love
#64ABC hops onboard: Network will present 3-hour DIRTY DANCING event; Abigail Breslin to star
Posted: 5/25/17 at 5:10pm

Mr. Nowack said: "I thought all of Breslin's costumes were disgracefully unflattering, I definitely don't think she is a cow but her costumes made her look overweight and frumpy. Everyone had awful hair and makeup too (some of the lipsticks were just WTF).

Her performance otherwise was pretty awful tho. She looked uncomfortable 100% of the time and had more sexual chemistry with her father and the pregnant girl than with Johnny.

I can't stop laughing!!!!

"

wonkit
#65ABC hops onboard: Network will present 3-hour DIRTY DANCING event; Abigail Breslin to star
Posted: 5/25/17 at 5:54pm

I hope the people at the Sheldrake got their money back, or a free drink. Or both. In the movie, Baby blew the lift but otherwise had some nice moves and a lot of personality. Poor Abigail looked like the badly costumed, under-rehearsed girl in a junior high dance recital. 

jbird5
#66ABC hops onboard: Network will present 3-hour DIRTY DANCING event; Abigail Breslin to star
Posted: 5/25/17 at 9:07pm

Sunny11 said: "I hope that Abigail didn't peak at 10 years old. How was she in " All the fine boys" ?

I thought she was quite good and cute. She did seem a little self conscious about her body and tended to cover it up whenever possible. 

"

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#67ABC hops onboard: Network will present 3-hour DIRTY DANCING event; Abigail Breslin to star
Posted: 5/26/17 at 5:56am

I just saw a little bit of it, while I was at the gym.  Now, I am somewhat curious about seeing the whole thing.  Should I?

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

dramamama611
#68ABC hops onboard: Network will present 3-hour DIRTY DANCING event; Abigail Breslin to star
Posted: 5/26/17 at 9:00am

I haven't seen one positive comment ANYWHERE on this.   Even one of the entertainment talk shows hammered it.

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#69ABC hops onboard: Network will present 3-hour DIRTY DANCING event; Abigail Breslin to star
Posted: 5/26/17 at 9:48am

Is it worth watching like you would Mystery Science Theater 3000 though? If so, I'm in. I was at work on Wednesday and sort of forgot about it.  

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#70ABC hops onboard: Network will present 3-hour DIRTY DANCING event; Abigail Breslin to star
Posted: 5/30/17 at 3:17pm

Okay, so I watched this over the weekend, mainly due to reading this thread and looking forward to laughing at a crazy-ass train wreck.  To my surprise, it wasn't as horrible as I felt was depicted by this thread.  I don't think it was GOOD.  But it wasn't as bad as I'd feared.  I actually enjoyed some of the fleshing out of some characters and their relationships, especially with Baby's family, who were so peripheral to the story, you can't even recall them having names (but we'll never forget her sister's bangs).  The bit about hiring Johnny for dance lessons didn't really work and it's a wonder how that scene with her father singing ever made it onto the screen.  Other changes in the story were not really necessary and the whole flashback bookended scenes were weird and ultimately pointless, but inoffensive.  I thought it was kind of fun to see a new take on the story as a remake, instead of a literal remake of the original.  

As for the complaints about Breslin not being a dancer and not looking like a dancer in the end, it didn't bother me at all.  In fact, it really did make more sense in a Sally Bowles-ish kind of way.  The fun of the original was the fairy-tale aspect of the thing that only pretends to dig into emotions without ever scratching any surface of reality.  In this version, they seemed to want to explore with adding a dimension or two to many other characters, so why not an average girl with an average body and leverage the popularity of Dancing With the Stars?  It's not as if American audiences voted Emmett Smith as the winner of season 3 because he miraculously transformed into Fred Astaire.  Breslin did okay and okay seemed to be the heights this event was aiming for, anyway.  

Oh, and the true star of the evening was Katey Sagal.  She really deserves to be on Broadway.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian