pixeltracker

THE COLOR PURPLE Reviews- Page 4

THE COLOR PURPLE Reviews

vickster51
#75THE COLOR PURPLE Reviews
Posted: 5/17/16 at 12:49pm

I really loved this show. I'd missed it when it was on here in London and I'm so pleased I was able to see it and Cynthia Erivo in the role. She really was stunning. What a performance. Danielle Brooks and Jennifer Hudson were also great, as was Kyle Scatliffe who played Harpo. I also think seeing it in the US added to the experience as the atmosphere was quite something, with so much love for the show in the audience. If it's still on when I next visit NYC I'll definitely be back.

My review in full is at my blog for anyone interested: https://vickster51corner.wordpress.com/2016/05/11/theatre-review-the-color-purple-starring-cynthia-erivo-broadway-new-york/

My review blog: https://vickster51corner.wordpress.com
Updated On: 5/17/16 at 12:49 PM

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#76THE COLOR PURPLE Reviews
Posted: 5/19/16 at 9:26am

The original Broadway production of The Color Purple, which I saw in previews a decade ago, was an empty pageant with none of the poignancy of its source material. It also felt frustratingly neutered, presenting what is a rather dark story (including rape, incest, spousal abuse, racism, and a lesbian sexual awakening in a time, place and culture where it wasn't welcome) as a clap your hands and raise the roof jubilee, tailor-made for church groups who didn't want to be offended. That was one of the main reasons I avoided the much lauded current revival until yesterday -- but I am glad that I finally went. This production -- much like Deaf West's Spring Awakening earlier this season -- perfectly represents what a good revival can do, and made me reconsider a show I hadn't been enthusiastic about the first time around. John Doyle's production scrubs away some of the more ornate elements of the original production, and the musical unspools with great feeling and dramatic tension. Even the unctuous church ladies seem to have a purpose in this production.

This isn't news to anyone who's seen the production, but Cynthia Erivo gives one of the great performances I have ever seen on stage. She has a voice for days, but she also has a direct manner -- wounded yet steely -- that is perfect for Celie. The character's gradual awakening to womanhood and personhood felt so genuine in Erivo's hands. She received one of the longest and loudest ovations I've ever witnessed, and it was so deserved (exceedingly rare in the day and age of perfunctory standing Os).

Heather Headley is a remarkable Shug -- almost enough to make me forget Margaret Avery from the film (high praise). Her voice retains the alluring, dark-hued quality that she brought to Aida 16 years ago, and she was equally at home in the part's tender moments and the roof-raising numbers like "Push da Button." And unlike LaChanze and Elisabeth Withers (both talented women) in the original production, I actually believed that Shug and Celie loved each other. To me, one of the most important aspects in this revival is that it does not shy away from the queerness of this relationship; Doyle, Erivo and Headley make it clear that Shug and Celie are more than just friends. And during the finale, when Celie sang the line "I don't this us feel old at all" directly to Shug (she sang it to Nettie in the original production), the message is loud and clear.

The rest of the cast, to a person, is superb. Danielle Brooks is a star.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Broadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
#77THE COLOR PURPLE Reviews
Posted: 5/24/16 at 11:12pm

I saw this tonight, Cynthia Erivo must have been sick because she didn't come back for the second act. I believe it was Adrianna hicks who took over in the second act, they announced the name but I can't remember for sure if that was her. She was just as good. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#78THE COLOR PURPLE Reviews
Posted: 5/24/16 at 11:31pm

maybe her voice was just tired since she performed on the Late Show yesterday. It was likely Hicks in the role as she's also a swing. Bre Jackson is the other cover, but she's also one of the church ladies, too. I wonder if she'll be back tomorrow since it's a two show day.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.
Updated On: 5/24/16 at 11:31 PM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#79THE COLOR PURPLE Reviews
Posted: 5/25/16 at 12:27pm

anyone know if Erivo is back for today's matinee??

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

MyLife
#80THE COLOR PURPLE Reviews
Posted: 5/25/16 at 1:21pm

There is no matinee today.

Box office says she is out this evening. I have a ticket and am very disappointed. I'll be rooting for her standby Hicks and wishing that Erivo recovers soon!

aimeric
#81THE COLOR PURPLE Reviews
Posted: 5/25/16 at 11:08pm

Cynthia Erivo was indeed out tonight and her other understudy, Bre Jackson, was covering her.  Jackson's usual Church Lady part was covered by Phoenix Best (one of the swings).  I thought Jackson, though not Erivo (who is?), was very good in the part, and she looked extremely moved by all the love she got at curtain call, visibly fighting back tears.  Is this her first time going on as Celie?  I know Cynthia hasn't called out very often.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#82THE COLOR PURPLE Reviews
Posted: 5/25/16 at 11:10pm

I'm guessing she just needs a full day's rest. Hopefully she's back tomorrow.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#83THE COLOR PURPLE Reviews
Posted: 5/25/16 at 11:14pm

both Jackson & Adrianna Hicks have performed Celie already. Not many times, maybe 3 or 4 times each.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#84THE COLOR PURPLE Reviews
Posted: 5/26/16 at 7:17pm

anyone know if Erivo was back tonight

Colleen2184 Profile Photo
Colleen2184
#85THE COLOR PURPLE Reviews
Posted: 5/26/16 at 11:40pm

She was back tonight. And absolutely amazing.

MyLife
#86THE COLOR PURPLE Reviews
Posted: 5/27/16 at 9:09am

I saw Jackson in the role Wednesday night. While initially disappointed to not see Erivo, Jackson blew me away. She had so much emotion and I completely fell in love with her. The audience rallied behind her and there was a great sense of community in the theater. It was a very special evening.

tja928 Profile Photo
tja928
#87THE COLOR PURPLE Reviews
Posted: 5/29/16 at 11:57pm

Saw it for a third time tonight, I don't even know where to start!

1. Heather Headley was born to play Shug Avery. Holy smokes. Makes me go Jennifer who?

2. Cynthia is as incredible as ever. She better win that Tony! After see 4 out of the 5 nominees this weekend, she's on a whole other level. (Although Carmen is my dark horse!)

3. It's truly a special production. Go see it if you haven't already, worth every cent and then some.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#88THE COLOR PURPLE Reviews
Posted: 5/30/16 at 12:01am

^ Agreed with every word THE COLOR PURPLE Reviews

snl89
#89THE COLOR PURPLE Reviews
Posted: 5/30/16 at 1:08am

I finally saw the show on Friday with TDF tickets (I'd been reading the book, so wanted to finish before seeing it) and it is every bit as incredible as everyone is saying :) I'm already plotting my next chance to see it! I definitely want to try for rush tickets in the hopes that they'll be, if not front row, then at least pretty close up (the last row Orch TDF seats were a very nice view, but with such amazing acting going on I want to be as close to the stage to see it as possible next time!) 

I feel like I really don't have terribly much to add that hasn't already been said, but I'll say it again anyway: Cynthia is an absolute goddess and giving one of the best performances I've seen maybe ever (and her voice is now officially one of my favorite voices ever! GAH can she just sing everything ever please?). Heather is a magnificent Shug. Danielle is a total delight and so freaking great.

And the production as a whole is just beautiful! I never saw the original, but just looking at clips online and such, it looks so meh to me with how over-done it was, especially now after having seen John Doyle's gorgeous pared-down take on the story. 

So yes, I will most definitely be going back, and probably many times over if I can manage it financially!!

It only makes me sad to think that Cynthia might eventually head back to the UK, because she's just the greatest and I selfishly want her to do Broadway forever haha. 

I don't need a life that's normal. That's way too far away. But something next to normal would be okay. Something next to normal is what I'd like to try. Close enough to normal to get by.
Updated On: 5/30/16 at 01:08 AM

BroadwayPeasent
#90THE COLOR PURPLE Reviews
Posted: 5/30/16 at 1:09am

I agree Cynthia better get that tony

BroadwayPeasent
#91THE COLOR PURPLE Reviews
Posted: 5/30/16 at 2:31am

Hopefully it will win best revival and best actress in leading role.  Truly a great revival of a mediocre show. It reminded me of hair in many ways. 

Having said that it should of won best musical when it first opened because nothing that season was that good

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#92THE COLOR PURPLE Reviews
Posted: 6/1/16 at 5:06pm

a snippet of Headley singing "Too Beautiful for Words". This 1 minute+ clip already shows how much better she is than Hudson.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/STAGE-TUBE-Heather-Headley-Sings-Too-Beautiful-for-Words-in-THE-COLOR-PURPLE-20160601

musicaltheatreman2
#93THE COLOR PURPLE Reviews
Posted: 6/1/16 at 6:06pm

I agree Heather is 100 times better then JHud! and you can tell they restaged Shug's scenes for Heather to really shine. I remember seeing the show with JHud and she just stood there and sang the song with no real feelings or emotions and there was no tender moments or real connection of how Shug started to show feelings for Celie. 

Heather really acts and sings the song beautifully and you can see her emotions show throughout the song and you can see the conection between Celie and Shug. 

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#94THE COLOR PURPLE Reviews
Posted: 6/27/16 at 12:10pm

Saw this yesterday and I basically echo everyone's thoughts on how great this production is. Cynthia Erivo and Heather Headley both stood out - which is really saying something given the incredible cast. I did have a couple issues that I was surprised no one else mentioned. It sort of bothered me that the show takes place over a span of 40 years yet there were no visual 'clues' to this. I would have liked either a couple of costume changes, or even some more gray hair in the 2nd act, just some hints to give a better sense of time. My other main issue was that after the dinner scene in Act 2, Sophia is miraculously her old self again. Something about it felt very artficial and I just didn't buy it, after all of the horrible things that happened to her. It made her final song with Harpo (Any Little Thing) feel very strange and out of place, to me. 

Broadwaystar2
#95THE COLOR PURPLE Reviews
Posted: 6/27/16 at 1:12pm

FANtomFollies said: "Saw this yesterday and I basically echo everyone's thoughts on how great this production is. Cynthia Erivo and Heather Headley both stood out - which is really saying something given the incredible cast. I did have a couple issues that I was surprised no one else mentioned. It sort of bothered me that the show takes place over a span of 40 years yet there were no visual 'clues' to this. I would have liked either a couple of costume changes, or even some more gray hair in the 2nd act, just some hints to give a better sense of time. My other main issue was that after the dinner scene in Act 2, Sophia is miraculously her old self again. Something about it felt very artficial and I just didn't buy it, after all of the horrible things that happened to her. It made her final song with Harpo (Any Little Thing) feel very strange and out of place, to me. 

"

Has your mother ever read the book or seen the movie? Sofia's instant snap back happens in both. She is finally realizing she is home amongst those who have truly cared for her. And if you need gray hair or a new costume to tell you someone had aged, you need to use your imagination more. 

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#96THE COLOR PURPLE Reviews
Posted: 6/27/16 at 1:38pm

I don't know what my mother has to do with this, but yes I have seen the movie and Sophia's snap-back did not feel as unrealistic to me....and I have quite a vivid imagination, but if I was unfamiliar with the story I would have had no idea that 40 years have passed. Even without hair or costume changes there are other subtle ways to indicate passing of time, body language for example? The characters moved exactly the same at the end of the show as they did in the beginning. In Les Mis they use quick projections of dates to sort of 'clue you in'...I could have seen something like that working well here as well. 

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#97THE COLOR PURPLE Reviews
Posted: 7/21/16 at 12:16am

Bumping this thread because I saw the matinee today (with ljay!) and was simply blown away by Cynthia Erivo and Heather Headley.  This was my first (and likely, only) time seeing this particular production, and it absolutely seemed to benefit (for the most part) from the stripped down Doyle approach. The only thing I really missed were the full orchestrations. 

Cynthia Erivo's voice defies comprehension.  I don't know how to describe how good a voice this woman has.  She actually sounds like she's gotten stronger from what I heard on the various TV appearances she did.  I mean it's just insane how good she sounds.  She got a full standing ovation after I'm Here this afternoon. Is that a regular occurrence? I'm not talking like a few people standing up- the entire house stood up for her. 

I also loved Headley's mannered approach to Shug- very different from Elizabeth Withers Mendes in the original production, who played a more beaten down Shug. Headley almost plays it like she's on drugs the entire time, but it works.  

Danielle Brooks was out today, but I found her understudy (Karla Stewart) to be quite good.  She was paired with an understudy for Harpo (Antoine Smith), who was also quite good. 

As for the aging, I thought that was one of the things Erivo nailed.  At the top of the show she's skipping around the stage- very spry. By the time I'm Here rolls around, her movements are much slower, much more deliberate.  It was very clear to me that time had passed. 

MyFavoriteBrunette Profile Photo
MyFavoriteBrunette
#98THE COLOR PURPLE Reviews
Posted: 7/21/16 at 12:47am

I've seen it twice, right after Cyhtia returned from her Tony break and this past Saturday.  From row O center orch and I saw that everybody was standing after I'm Here.  I was looking around, the hair on my arms on end and wiping tears from my eyes.  When she sings that song, whoa!  It moves me!  On Saturday, from row F, I turned around to look and it was another ovation for Miss Erivo!

I was sold a ticket to this show for two reasons:

1) I never could get into the movie even though it casts some of my favorite actors.  It would come in TV and just couldn't watch.  I figured I love musicals and missed the first production so why not consider it. And heck!  Jennifer Hudson is in it.

2) THIS https://youtu.be/dGd40FXp3qU

When Prince passed away and I watched this video I was like "Jennifer who?"  I wanna see the lady in them yellow paaaaaants!  So coordinating with friends, 5 of us got tickets for June 24.  

But then Jennifer left!  And I honestly didn't know who Heather Headly was because I didn't follow theater.  I've seen so many shows this year, that the joke at work is "what are you seeing this week?" I mentioned to a colleague that I was seeing The Color Purple and turned out he used to know Heather very well.  Went to High School together when she moved here from Trinidad and they used to ride together to choir practice.  He told me all about her and her rise to fame.  Aida!  Yes!  I remember that playing in NY and that it was very popular.  So I was excited to see this production even more now that I felt a connection to Heather.  I ended up giving my colleague a ticket to the show for his birthday (he went the week before me) and was so blown away by it.  I urged my sister to go and another colleague and this Saturday we went.  We have all fallen in love with this revival.  I'm getting more people to go see this production and the new joke at work is "are you getting a cut of the sales?"  Nope!  Just a reawakened passion for theater and I urge you upon reading this TO GO!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#99THE COLOR PURPLE Reviews
Posted: 7/21/16 at 11:09pm

I was there with Adamgreer and I agree with his post. It was my third time seeing the production and it has grown a lot. The entire show is funnier, tighter,  and even more powerful. It's impossible to comprehend how Cynthia Erivo's voice has gotten even stronger, it must be due to her fabulous coaching by Joan Ladar. It's just magical listening to her voice bring down the house multiple times throughout the show. 

Heather Headley is very good. She is extremely mannered and definitely has a strong commitment to her vision of this character. Jennifer Hudson was more natural in the role, like a regular woman, but Headley really brings the sex, quirkiness, and ambiguity of the character. It's also interesting to note that her kiss with Celie is shorter and less surprising than it was with Hudson. The audience laughed when Hudson and Erivo kissed, but now the kiss is rather quick. They definitely have great chemistry and work very well together. Headley also works hard in the second act to maintain Shug's importance to Celie's journey. 

It really is a stunning production and it's a thrill to see it still thriving and moving audience members of all backgrounds. 

Updated On: 7/22/16 at 11:09 PM