pixeltracker

Ken Watanabe returning to TKAI- Page 3

Ken Watanabe returning to TKAI

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#50Ken Watanabe returning to TKAI
Posted: 2/9/16 at 12:48pm

if it's only for 2-3 weeks, they'll just have the two understudies fill in unless Hoon Lee can extend past Feb. 28.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

jenn3258
#51Ken Watanabe returning to TKAI
Posted: 2/9/16 at 3:38pm

Does anybody knows if the show will be extending after June 26th? According to the show's website its only booking till then.

jenn3258
#52Ken Watanabe returning to TKAI
Posted: 2/9/16 at 6:59pm

Updated On: 2/9/16 at 06:59 PM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#53Ken Watanabe returning to TKAI
Posted: 2/9/16 at 7:37pm

It all depends when it goes to London. Assume Kelli wants some time off before she crosses the pond, as they say.

Poster Emeritus

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#54Ken Watanabe returning to TKAI
Posted: 2/9/16 at 8:58pm

Why assume that it is ending with Kelli?

June is a long time off, if it continues to run it may be a little while before we see another block of tickets. 

jenn3258
#55Ken Watanabe returning to TKAI
Posted: 2/9/16 at 10:09pm

As much as I enjoyed O Hara's interpretation as Anna, I don't think it would make sense to close the show, if her contract comes to an end. There are a lot of actresses that would make the role justice and would love to take on this role. Hope it will have a longer run.

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#56Ken Watanabe returning to TKAI
Posted: 2/10/16 at 1:52am

It is my understanding that Hoon Lee is there until the end of the month. Then the actor who replaced Ken is coming back for 2 weeks but I do not know if it is before Ken's return of after. Then the fellow from Lost comes in.

The problem has been that Kelli is the main draw. Whenever she has been out it has wrecked havoc among the patrons. If she is replaced it will have to be someone with some celebrity to get the tourists in and that is a hard thing to do. So it may not run as long as South Pacific.

ghostlight2
#57Ken Watanabe returning to TKAI
Posted: 2/10/16 at 2:04am

Things just got a bit more complicated. Mr Watanabe is battling stomach cancer (sorry, no link).

Thoughts and prayers for his rapid recovery.

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#58Ken Watanabe returning to TKAI
Posted: 2/10/16 at 8:16am

Here ya go:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/ken-watanabe-cancer_us_56bb16f2e4b0b40245c4b33b

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#59Ken Watanabe returning to TKAI
Posted: 2/10/16 at 11:02am

Here's wishing him a complete and speedy recovery.

bfreak
#60Ken Watanabe returning to TKAI
Posted: 2/10/16 at 11:24am

I wonder if it would just make sense not to knock everyone's schedules, for Ken just to come back in the summer and have the understudy or Jose Llana take over after Hoon leaves.

jenn3258
#61Ken Watanabe returning to TKAI
Posted: 2/10/16 at 2:40pm

In this case it would make sense for Hoon Lee to extend.

After some re-search I do not think the show will run for long. But hopefully it will get to tour soon and maybe get live from Lincoln center broadcast.

UnwoundFantasies
#62Ken Watanabe returning to TKAI
Posted: 2/10/16 at 3:09pm

It's also still only a rumor that Kelli will go to London..

I'm hoping Hoon Lee can extend to cover the few weeks more until Ken returns.

LarryD2
#63Ken Watanabe returning to TKAI
Posted: 2/10/16 at 3:13pm

The show is still doing respectable business, but I wouldn't be surprised if it closed over the summer, leaving the Beaumont free for a new subscription show in the fall.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#64Ken Watanabe returning to TKAI
Posted: 2/11/16 at 11:50am

I think it'll be able to run until the end of the year. Discounts are easily available now and it's frequently up at TKTS for either 40% or 50% off.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

UnwoundFantasies
#65Ken Watanabe returning to TKAI
Posted: 2/11/16 at 12:12pm

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/UPDATE-Ken-Watanabe-Will-Return-to-THE-KING-I-on-317-After-Surgery-Recovery-20160211

Yay! Ken will come back 2 weeks later and Hoon Lee is extending to fill the gap!

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#66Ken Watanabe returning to TKAI
Posted: 2/11/16 at 4:56pm

Anyone who sees Hoon Lee during this two week extension will not be disappointed.  While I have no one to compare him to, I found him to be outstanding in the role.  

jenn3258
#67Ken Watanabe returning to TKAI
Posted: 2/13/16 at 1:04pm

Lee is fantastic in the role. But overall this production is fabulous and I do hope we will get in on PBS soon. Also a tour will go out in November 2016 and I am really looking forward to that

asmith0307
#68Kelli O'Hara Leaving King and I?
Posted: 2/13/16 at 5:57pm

Scarywarhol said: "Why assume that it is ending with Kelli?

June is a long time off, if it continues to run it may be a little while before we see another block of tickets. "

I just caught a commercial that said Kelli is only in until April 17th. I'll try to find a link to a video.

jenn3258
#69Kelli O'Hara Leaving King and I?
Posted: 2/13/16 at 7:10pm

I just checked the show's website and tough nothing is official it seems that the Broadway production is likely to close after June 26th when Daniel departs.

http://www.lct.org/shows/king-and-i/schedule/

There is nothing about O Hara's leaving the show tough

asmith0307
#70Kelli O'Hara Leaving King and I?
Posted: 2/13/16 at 9:11pm

I watched it 3 times to make sure that I was understanding it right. It would coincide with Watanabe's departure, so it may just be weird phrasing on their part. I can't find that they have uploaded it on Youtube. I saw it off a video on TheaterMania.

On its closing, not necessarily. An American in Paris is only selling one week further than King and I right now and while neither doing as well as they were before winter, they're not doing terribly. 

Updated On: 2/13/16 at 09:11 PM

jenn3258
#71Kelli O'Hara Leaving King and I?
Posted: 2/14/16 at 8:48pm

Unfortunately I was unsuccessful trying to locate this video clip on theatremania. I hope that Kelly O Hare will will embark with the tour in November.

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#72Kelli O'Hara Leaving King and I?
Posted: 2/14/16 at 8:50pm

Tis a Puzzlement!

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#73Kelli O'Hara Leaving King and I?
Posted: 2/14/16 at 10:28pm

jenn3258 said: "Unfortunately I was unsuccessful trying to locate this video clip on theatremania. I hope that Kelly O Hare will will embark with the tour in November."

I doubt she will since you don't even know how to spell her name. Also she has children which would make the chances go down even more.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Soaring29 Profile Photo
Soaring29
#74Kelli O'Hara Leaving King and I?
Posted: 2/15/16 at 8:48pm

Hope Ken feels better! He was amazing in the part!!! Would love to see both him and Kelli together again, especially in the Live From Lincoln Center PBS special if they make it.