pixeltracker

BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!- Page 3

BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#50BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/22/16 at 11:07pm

Also (last post of the day for me—I promise!), just saw Alysha Umphress sing "Somebody to Love" and Lena Hall sing "Origin of Love" at the Broadway Jukebox and I'm pretty sure I can die happy now?

_IrisTInkerbell Profile Photo
_IrisTInkerbell
#51BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/22/16 at 11:10pm

Yea, I'm packing snacks that will hopefully get me through to dinner time when I have a gap in my schedule. And Vitamine water & a small water bottle to stay hydrated and keep the blood sugar up.

Are there water fountains around to refill?

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#52BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/22/16 at 11:30pm

I agree with the food. I ended up spending too much on things that are probably only a couple of dollars at Duane Reade. There are water coolers around too. 

Playbill and organizations like that had the usual stuff they sell in general. Someone with an etsy shop was selling custom made playbill art. Like they cut playbills into 8 strips & you can choose what shows you want. You can even send them your own if they don't have what you want.  It was called The Art of Broadway.  

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#53BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/22/16 at 11:34pm

Oh yeah, if anyone wants to go to the Susan Blackwell autograph session,  you can have my pass.  I am not going to use it. The 1St person to Pm me gets it. Been trying to get rid,of it all day. Shocked that nobody wants it.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

stargazer2 Profile Photo
stargazer2
#54BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/22/16 at 11:44pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "Also (last post of the day for me—I promise!), just saw Alysha Umphress sing "Somebody to Love" and Lena Hall sing "Origin of Love" at the Broadway Jukebox and I'm pretty sure I can die happy now?

"I agree.  Broadway Jukebox tonight was incredible.  Going home just buzzing!  Hope I can sleep!

pickles2
#55BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/23/16 at 12:29am

I also had an issue with organization. Was told by 3 different volunteers that they would be clearing all rooms after every panel, so I skipped Phantom of the Opera in hopes I could get into Spring Awakening. When I finally got inside it turned out they barely cleared the room at all, so I missed Phantom for nothing. Those kind of policies should have been decided before the convention started.

Otherwise I saw every other panel I wanted to and the content was great. Even met Lena Hall in the lobby on my way out. I was a little starstruck.

I also second bringing snacks. I'm glad I packed a PB&J because by 7 the (expensive) sandwich shop in the hotel was running out of food. They said they didn't expect so many people.

Updated On: 1/23/16 at 12:29 AM

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#56BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/23/16 at 1:09am

_IrisTInkerbell said: "Are there water fountains around to refill?"

There are a LOT of water fountains around, mostly at the mainstage. I was impressed!

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

ChildofEarth Profile Photo
ChildofEarth
#57BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/23/16 at 1:40am

I'm a VIP holder as well and they sat us first and gave us whole sections and we have our own meet and greet tomorrow so I'm not sure why you aren't feeling like a VIP.

So far it's been amazing and filled with so much happiness and love.

Though honestly if I hear the word Hamilton again I might cry. There are other musicals.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#58BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/23/16 at 1:45am

There is so much Hamilton. My god.

I approached BroadwayCon with some trepidation, but it's turned out to be pretty fun. You just need to be prepared to deal with what feels like two floors' worth of the post-show excitable Schmackary's crowd.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Emmaloucbway
#59BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/23/16 at 8:43am

I've heard a lot of complaints about line management. I'm waiting to get in to MainStage for the 10 AM event and there are people setting up poles to form a clear line waiting area. Hopefully this will make things less chaotic for the rest of the Con. 

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#60BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/23/16 at 9:01am

Those belted line stanchions are so basic I kind of can't believe no one thought to get them for line control. I mean geez they have them at every stage door. 

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

Pootie2
#61BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/23/16 at 9:37am

ChildofEarth said: "I'm a VIP holder as well and they sat us first and gave us whole sections and we have our own meet and greet tomorrow so I'm not sure why you aren't feeling like a VIP.

So far it's been amazing and filled with so much happiness and love.

Though honestly if I hear the word Hamilton again I might cry. There are other musicals."

That's great to hear. I was beginning to get the impression that all pass levels were being treated the same, but perhaps some people fell through the crowd cracks. Sounds like they're trying to improve the line situation as well.

I have updated the first post with their new Inclement Weather Policy since the NJ transit system is shut down: "due to the closure of the New Jersey transit system, we will be honoring all unused Saturday day passes on Sunday."

#BoycottTrumplikePattiMurin

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#62BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/23/16 at 10:11am

I made it. Figures I am sweating so badly right now. I am the girl with the huge Duane Reade bag if you see me. I just couldn't spend $25 on a salad, soda, & chips today. So I spent that on a ton more food.

_IrisTInkerbell
#63BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/23/16 at 11:06am

Got into the Main Stage without a hitch, they were at least 2 seperate lines for general pass and day pass holders, clearly seperated by shield things and they went around to tell people in the back where it wasn't as clear. People are saying it's much improved from yesterday.

The Feud was a blast!

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#64BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/23/16 at 11:34am

Got my picture with Jonathan Groff. He is the sweetest munchkin in the ENTIRE WORLD.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#65BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/23/16 at 11:47am

If there is one next year, doubt they will make the same mistake and have it in January.

Poster Emeritus

broadwaysfguy
#66BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/23/16 at 12:56pm

if you are at broadway con

mayor deblasio requests a shutdown of all activities in nyc today for safety reasons

and is putting a travel ban in effect starting at 230pm EST today

Pootie2
#67BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/23/16 at 12:58pm

Basically anyone who got to the con already (and is staying at the hotel) is safe. Locals who traveled in will have to leave now or book a room, I suppose. At least 3/4 of attendees are tourists, so most simply won't be leaving the hotel.

broadwaysfguy
#68BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/23/16 at 1:13pm

good to hear

thanks Pootie2

this storm dumped 30 inches of snow in parts of virginia in 12 hours and apparently picking up momentum in NYC....predicted to be top 5 heaviest storm in recorded nyc history....

Akitarent
#69BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/23/16 at 1:23pm

Hey Broadway Lovers! :)

I just came from BroadwayCon with a TON of footage and photos.  I was so fortunate to cover this as press. I will be adding things to my official website, NealB.tv, but for now, check out some of the RENT videos now at the link below. I am snowed in today so I am trying to get some editing down.
I hope you enjoy!

Coming Soon:
- Video/Photos:Hamilton Original Broadway Cast Panel
- Video/Photos: King & I Creative Team
- Video/Photos: Diversity on Broadway Panel
- Video/Photos:Spring Awakening Panel

LINK:
Facebook: Broadway Sings for Pride
https://www.facebook.com/broadway.pride/

Pootie2
#70BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/23/16 at 1:29pm

https://twitter.com/bwaycon/status/690963944698175488

On with the show! The first 100 folks w/a broadway ticket for tonight can buy a #BlizzardPass to #BroadwayCon for $20. Join us @ the Hilton!

(Obviously keeping in mind travel restrictions.)

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#71BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/23/16 at 1:57pm

Only came from 3Rd and 51st street, but I think I will leave around 3:30 or 4. I want to make sure I can get back to my hotel safely. Bummer, but it has been awesome so far. At least if it isn't snowing tomorrow I will walk. 

_IrisTInkerbell
#72BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/23/16 at 1:59pm

As far as I know below ground subways are supposed to keep running so I'm hoping to still be able to get home tonight. We'll see. Not quite ready to spend a fortune on a hotel room here and most certainly not leaving! I only have to get to Morningside...

Pootie2
#73BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/23/16 at 2:01pm

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#74BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!
Posted: 1/23/16 at 2:45pm

The city has a travel ban. If people get there, they won't get home. They are telling people to come down for $20 Blizzard Passes and that nothing is cancelled. It's irresponsible.  

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello