pixeltracker

Broadway in Chicago Season Tickets - Hamilton- Page 3

Broadway in Chicago Season Tickets - Hamilton

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#50Broadway in Chicago Season Tickets - Hamilton
Posted: 6/9/16 at 10:38am

It's virtually impossible to read that Chicago Tribune article, as it keeps skipping on the page.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

pc1145N
#51Broadway in Chicago Season Tickets - Hamilton
Posted: 6/9/16 at 10:51am

I've just taken the day off on the 21st....and will be sitting in front of my computer hoping for decent tickets.  Now friends are starting to call asking me to try for tickets for them!

Sertzo19 Profile Photo
Sertzo19
#52Broadway in Chicago Season Tickets - Hamilton
Posted: 6/9/16 at 10:55am

DottieD'Luscia said: "It's virtually impossible to read that Chicago Tribune article, as it keeps skipping on the page."

I copied and pasted the Q&A from the article below for easy reading, as you're right... that article was impossible to read on the site. Context to those who didn't go to the Tribune link, Chris Jones (Chicago Tribune critic) interviewed Jeffrey Seller about the sit-down production in Chicago and ticket pricing. Great read to those looking to get tickets. 

----------------------------------------------------

Q: How long do you expect the show to be in Chicago? Please don't say "as long as Chicago will have us."

A: I expect the show to be there for about two years. But maybe more. Is that clear enough?

You've written about some of the different philosophies producers employ when they are making these bookings. Do I stay as long as I am making a reasonable profit, and if some tickets go unsold, so be it? Or do I leave while there is still huge demand so I can return? As you know, "Wicked" followed the one theory in Chicago and "The Book of Mormon" the other. Without being able to predict how it will play out for "Hamilton," I subscribe more to the "Wicked" theory than "The Book of Mormon" theory. If one theory is take-your-money-and-run and the other is longevity, I subscribe to longevity.

Q: And when will you know what longevity means, and whether that might involve a long-standing Chicago company here for years?

A: I won't know the answer to that question in the first six months. It will take some time.

Q: But you surely don't want to impact your New York sales.

A: I am not worried about New York demand. There are only 1,300 seats in that theater.

Q: So who will be in the show in Chicago. Any chance of Lin-Manuel Miranda himself? Any stars? Chance the Rapper?

A: There is no chance of Lin-Manuel being in the show, and I have never subscribed to star casting. We are presently in the casting process and I am as excited about this Chicago cast as any cast I ever have assembled. We are getting close, and we probably will announce the cast in July. We have been looking for big talent, not big names. We have always said the show will look like America, and that will be true in Chicago. Our most important mission in rolling out the show to America and the world is casting. We could not be in better hands than with Thomas Kail, our director. And it is incredibly exciting to see other artists illuminate these characters in exciting ways.

Q: So how much are premium tickets? Your press release doesn't say.

A: The premiums are for someone who is insensitive to price. I am not going to lie to you. They are going to be $500. Six-hundred dollars over the holidays. I set the price based on what people are charging in the secondary market. I may have to raise them again -- and I will if I see all those tickets being sold at $800. In fact, the average price in New York right now is $1,000. For a $199 ticket.  That's $800 that does not go to the creators of the play or the employees of the play. That is just not fair, and it does not help the theater. Scalping is not illegal. Raising our premium prices is the only tool I have to ensure that the dollars being expended on the play are going to the people who created the play.

Q: How many seats are premium seats. I assume it varies by night?

A: Yes, but it is about 200 seats a night, or about 10 percent of the house. Premium tickets are what make the $10 tickets possible.

Q: Do you have a deal with StubHub, like Major League Baseball?

A: We do not have any deal with any secondary players whatsoever. Ticketmaster has this thing called Ticketmaster Plus, where they allow tickets bought on their site to be resold on their site. The theory is that if that is going to happen anyway, we'd rather maintain our relationship with that consumer. So there is that, if you really have to have a ticket at any price.

Q: So where can you safely buy a ticket?

A: Through Ticketmaster or Broadway in Chicago. Otherwise you are working at your own risk.

Ticketmaster and "Hamilton" have worked very hard to slow down the robot ticket software programs that scalpers are using. They jump the line and hack the system and buy the tickets before a human who is working at human speed. We are having some success.

Q: So is there a lottery?

A: Yes. Each night in Chicago, 44 seats will be sold for $10 each. Let me find my calculator. That's 352 seats a week, 18,304 seats a year. All for $10. The last time I paid $10 for a show, I was sitting in the balcony of the Fisher Theatre in Detroit watching "Pippin."

Q: It's online?

A: Yes. Here's why. We found in New York that a digital lottery means more and more diverse people enter. If you do it at the box office, you favor people who have extra time or can take off work easily. They tend to be whiter and more affluent. We found that an online lottery results in more diverse audience members. We feel this helps us serve people better. Obviously a lot of people enter and not everyone is going to win. But it's real. There are a lot of seats. It is part of our mission to make "Hamilton" available to everyone.

Q: And how much do prices go up for the holidays? The release does not say.

A: All right, let me get that. The top price is $212, and $600 for premium seats. It is not that much higher.

Q: Subscribers of Broadway in Chicago were upset they could not buy extra tickets, as they say they were promised.

A: That was a mistake. The offer was a mistake. I am working on taking care of the subscribers. Look, I am trying to balance the desire of the subscribers to get more tickets with my mission to ensure that when we put tickets on sale we have a lot of good tickets to offer the general public. If all these other groups get ahead, I will have nothing for the general public to buy in those first weeks. We are asking people to be patient.

Q: In New York, the Rockefeller Foundation helped make it possible for schoolkids to come.

A: In the calendar year of 2017, 20,000 students are going to see this show in Chicago, and we are going to start with the Chicago Public Schools.

And, yes, we are in discussion with Rockefeller and other philanthropic organizations to subsidize this program. Look, in New York, the students paid $10, Rockefeller paid us $60, and I sold for $70 a ticket costing $199. So there are many people subsidizing the program. My aims are to produce a great show and make it accessible. Whatever I do will always be imperfect. Someone who did not get what they wanted is going to be angry. But my goal is to please as many constituencies as possible and in time I think we will. But we are going to need a little time.

Q: Presumably the Chicago production is the model for all your upcoming tours.

A: I am not building this one to move. The lighting and sound package will be just like New York. You are getting the whole rig. Nothing is moving.

Q: Are you now fulfilled in life?

A: What? Is that the last question? Oh, Chris, is anybody ever fulfilled in life? Make sure you say it just like that. I will say, though, that I am a very lucky man.

Chris Jones is a Tribune critic.

cjones5@tribpub.com Twitter @ChrisJonesTrib

Q: How long do you expect the show to be in Chicago? Please don't say "as long as Chicago will have us."

A: I expect the show to be there for about two years. But maybe more. Is that clear enough?

You've written about some of the different philosophies producers employ when they are making these bookings. Do I stay as long as I am making a reasonable profit, and if some tickets go unsold, so be it? Or do I leave while there is still huge demand so I can return? As you know, "Wicked" followed the one theory in Chicago and "The Book of Mormon" the other. Without being able to predict how it will play out for "Hamilton," I subscribe more to the "Wicked" theory than "The Book of Mormon" theory. If one theory is take-your-money-and-run and the other is longevity, I subscribe to longevity.

Q: And when will you know what longevity means, and whether that might involve a long-standing Chicago company here for years?

A: I won't know the answer to that question in the first six months. It will take some time.

A: I am not worried about New York demand. There are only 1,300 seats in that theater.

Q: So who will be in the show in Chicago. Any chance of Lin-Manuel Miranda himself? Any stars? Chance the Rapper?

A: There is no chance of Lin-Manuel being in the show, and I have never subscribed to star casting. We are presently in the casting process and I am as excited about this Chicago cast as any cast I ever have assembled. We are getting close, and we probably will announce the cast in July. We have been looking for big talent, not big names. We have always said the show will look like America, and that will be true in Chicago. Our most important mission in rolling out the show to America and the world is casting. We could not be in better hands than with Thomas Kail, our director. And it is incredibly exciting to see other artists illuminate these characters in exciting ways.

A: The premiums are for someone who is insensitive to price. I am not going to lie to you. They are going to be $500. Six-hundred dollars over the holidays. I set the price based on what people are charging in the secondary market. I may have to raise them again -- and I will if I see all those tickets being sold at $800. In fact, the average price in New York right now is $1,000. For a $199 ticket.  That's $800 that does not go to the creators of the play or the employees of the play. That is just not fair, and it does not help the theater. Scalping is not illegal. Raising our premium prices is the only tool I have to ensure that the dollars being expended on the play are going to the people who created the play.

A: Yes, but it is about 200 seats a night, or about 10 percent of the house. Premium tickets are what make the $10 tickets possible.

A: We do not have any deal with any secondary players whatsoever. Ticketmaster has this thing called Ticketmaster Plus, where they allow tickets bought on their site to be resold on their site. The theory is that if that is going to happen anyway, we'd rather maintain our relationship with that consumer. So there is that, if you really have to have a ticket at any price.

A: Through Ticketmaster or Broadway in Chicago. Otherwise you are working at your own risk.

Ticketmaster and "Hamilton" have worked very hard to slow down the robot ticket software programs that scalpers are using. They jump the line and hack the system and buy the tickets before a human who is working at human speed. We are having some success.

A: Yes. Each night in Chicago, 44 seats will be sold for $10 each. Let me find my calculator. That's 352 seats a week, 18,304 seats a year. All for $10. The last time I paid $10 for a show, I was sitting in the balcony of the Fisher Theatre in Detroit watching "Pippin."

A: Yes. Here's why. We found in New York that a digital lottery means more and more diverse people enter. If you do it at the box office, you favor people who have extra time or can take off work easily. They tend to be whiter and more affluent. We found that an online lottery results in more diverse audience members. We feel this helps us serve people better. Obviously a lot of people enter and not everyone is going to win. But it's real. There are a lot of seats. It is part of our mission to make "Hamilton" available to everyone.

A: All right, let me get that. The top price is $212, and $600 for premium seats. It is not that much higher.

Q: Subscribers of Broadway in Chicago were upset they could not buy extra tickets, as they say they were promised.

A: That was a mistake. The offer was a mistake. I am working on taking care of the subscribers. Look, I am trying to balance the desire of the subscribers to get more tickets with my mission to ensure that when we put tickets on sale we have a lot of good tickets to offer the general public. If all these other groups get ahead, I will have nothing for the general public to buy in those first weeks. We are asking people to be patient.

Q: In New York, the Rockefeller Foundation helped make it possible for schoolkids to come.

A: In the calendar year of 2017, 20,000 students are going to see this show in Chicago, and we are going to start with the Chicago Public Schools.

And, yes, we are in discussion with Rockefeller and other philanthropic organizations to subsidize this program. Look, in New York, the students paid $10, Rockefeller paid us $60, and I sold for $70 a ticket costing $199. So there are many people subsidizing the program. My aims are to produce a great show and make it accessible. Whatever I do will always be imperfect. Someone who did not get what they wanted is going to be angry. But my goal is to please as many constituencies as possible and in time I think we will. But we are going to need a little time.

A: I am not building this one to move. The lighting and sound package will be just like New York. You are getting the whole rig. Nothing is moving.

A: What? Is that the last question? Oh, Chris, is anybody ever fulfilled in life? Make sure you say it just like that. I will say, though, that I am a very lucky man.

Sertzo19 Profile Photo
Sertzo19
#52Broadway in Chicago Season Tickets - Hamilton
Posted: 6/9/16 at 10:55am

DottieD'Luscia said: "It's virtually impossible to read that Chicago Tribune article, as it keeps skipping on the page."

I copied and pasted the Q&A from the article below for easy reading, as you're right... that article was impossible to read on the site. Context to those who didn't go to the Tribune link, Chris Jones (Chicago Tribune critic) interviewed Jeffrey Seller about the sit-down production in Chicago and ticket pricing. Great read to those looking to get tickets. 

----------------------------------------------------

DottieD'Luscia
#53Broadway in Chicago Season Tickets - Hamilton
Posted: 6/9/16 at 11:01am

Thanks, Sertzo. I ended up going directly to the Chicago Tribune site in order to read the article.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#54Broadway in Chicago Season Tickets - Hamilton
Posted: 6/9/16 at 12:31pm

DAMN IT WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE JUNE 21ST?? of course it's then. when I will be on an airplane to NYC. FML.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

Kitzka
#55Broadway in Chicago Season Tickets - Hamilton
Posted: 6/13/16 at 1:15pm

Thanks to those who have added information, thoughts and insights to this thread. My daughter is starting college in Chicago this Fall. Perfect excuse to go and visit! :)

#56Broadway in Chicago Season Tickets - Hamilton
Posted: 6/13/16 at 11:58pm

I had an Amex code so checked in on the Chicago presale this morning. As you might expect, it also went very fast but started with some decent availability in the Dress Circle and Mezzanine, and a selection in the orchestra. They did not appear to have put anything on sale up in the balcony. Not much left if anything. 

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#57Broadway in Chicago Season Tickets - Hamilton
Posted: 6/16/16 at 8:44pm

can anyone tell me the price increments for the chicago production?

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

MinervaMoon Profile Photo
MinervaMoon
#58Broadway in Chicago Season Tickets - Hamilton
Posted: 6/16/16 at 9:16pm

Broadway in Chicago Season Tickets - Hamilton

Hamilton Emotional Support Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/hamiltonsupport/

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#59Broadway in Chicago Season Tickets - Hamilton
Posted: 6/16/16 at 11:41pm

thank you! so mezzanine are all either $82 or $177? seems like a strange gap.

JustVisiting
#60Broadway in Chicago Season Tickets - Hamilton
Posted: 6/17/16 at 10:23am

gypsy101 said: "thank you! so mezzanine are all either $82 or $177? seems like a strange gap.

No that's a range. I got my mezzanine tickets during the presale for $139 each I think (that may be including fees). Considering that was for side seats at the front of the rear mezz (weird thing to say), I doubt there will be many $82 tickets.

ImAGeneralWEE
#61Broadway in Chicago Season Tickets - Hamilton
Posted: 6/17/16 at 11:01am

If anyone who did the presale could provide more information on the seating/prices, I'd really appreciate it.  For instance: How much are the fees (e.g., for a $177 ticket)? Are most good orchestra seats $497?  I'm getting nervous for Tuesday... the PrivateBank theatre is full of terrible seats. The Rodgers seems so great in comparison.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#62Broadway in Chicago Season Tickets - Hamilton
Posted: 6/17/16 at 11:56am

PrivateBank is the worst when it comes to restricted view.  The overhangs cut off the top of the stage and affect tons of seats.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#63Broadway in Chicago Season Tickets - Hamilton
Posted: 6/17/16 at 3:55pm

yeah when I asked about the increments I meant more like each individual price, not a range lol

sarahb22 Profile Photo
sarahb22
#64Broadway in Chicago Season Tickets - Hamilton
Posted: 6/20/16 at 9:56pm

So who's trying for these tomorrow? Can anyone tell me which seats are halfway decent, and which to avoid at all costs? Thanks for any information!

Boday
#65Broadway in Chicago Season Tickets - Hamilton
Posted: 6/20/16 at 10:27pm

ImAGeneralWEE said: "If anyone who did the presale could provide more information on the seating/prices, I'd really appreciate it.  For instance: How much are the fees (e.g., for a $177 ticket)? Are most good orchestra seats $497?  I'm getting nervous for Tuesday... the PrivateBank theatre is full of terrible seats. The Rodgers seems so great in comparison.

"

I got four $177 seats in the presale (although not together - split 3 in mezz and 1 in dress circle). The total after fees was about $200.50/ticket.

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#66Broadway in Chicago Season Tickets - Hamilton
Posted: 6/20/16 at 10:34pm

Answered my own question.

I like a good rhyme more than a good time
Updated On: 6/20/16 at 10:34 PM

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#67Broadway in Chicago Season Tickets - Hamilton
Posted: 6/20/16 at 10:37pm

https://www.wbez.org/shows/morning-shift/the-best-way-to-get-tickets-to-hamilton/fe3a7e05-c238-4a87-91bd-20fed267496e

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

ChiTheaterFan
#68Broadway in Chicago Season Tickets - Hamilton
Posted: 6/21/16 at 10:04am

The line at the box office is 4 blocks long...  

I have my 2 season tickets. I'm not dealing with it either in person or online. 

May the odds be ever in your favor. 

sarahb22 Profile Photo
sarahb22
#69Broadway in Chicago Season Tickets - Hamilton
Posted: 6/21/16 at 10:11am

Yeah, I'm not optimistic, but I'll give it a try anyway! I'll let y'all know what happens!

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#70Broadway in Chicago Season Tickets - Hamilton
Posted: 6/21/16 at 10:17am

Walked by the line this morning.  It's insane.  In order to avoid fees, they are willing to wait all day when it's likely to be sold out online in the first hour (or less).

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Call_me_jorge
#71Broadway in Chicago Season Tickets - Hamilton
Posted: 6/21/16 at 10:18am

This show will be here for YEARS!

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Call_me_jorge
#72Broadway in Chicago Season Tickets - Hamilton
Posted: 6/21/16 at 10:31am

Here's a video of the line. https://twitter.com/jakestakes/status/745233442724536320

DottieD'Luscia
#73Broadway in Chicago Season Tickets - Hamilton
Posted: 6/21/16 at 11:07am

I just tried, but it's say preferred AMEX only.  I have an AMEX card, but it's not eligible. WTF?!