pixeltracker

Emily Blunt in talks to play Mary Poppins in Shaiman-Wittman composed film- Page 2

Emily Blunt in talks to play Mary Poppins in Shaiman-Wittman composed film

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#25Emily Blunt in talks to play Mary Poppins in Shaiman-Wittman composed film
Posted: 2/24/16 at 3:14pm

I disagree. Anyway, this is a new score and a new story, so it's not like they can't and won't write around it. Nobody is freaking out, Carlos. I was just stating my very widely shared opinion.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#26Emily Blunt in talks to play Mary Poppins in Shaiman-Wittman composed film
Posted: 2/24/16 at 3:21pm

Van Dyke isn't much of a singer, there really isn't anything to disagree about there. He's all personality, and boy is he good at that. Miranda will be fine. 

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#27Emily Blunt in talks to play Mary Poppins in Shaiman-Wittman composed film
Posted: 2/24/16 at 3:22pm

@CindersGolightly: So in essence you are saying that "I hope he won't be singing" is a very widely shared opinion?

Did you take a poll, a survey? 

Who are these people with this, according to you, "widely shared opinion"?

EDIT: You are entitled to your opinion but don't ascribe false statements to try and justify that opinion.

Updated On: 2/24/16 at 03:22 PM

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#28Emily Blunt in talks to play Mary Poppins in Shaiman-Wittman composed film
Posted: 2/24/16 at 3:32pm

If you read above, earlier, you'll see a couple who agree? Read any Lin vs. Javi thread? It's a popular opinion that Lin can't sing. Not just mine. No false statements here.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#29Emily Blunt in talks to play Mary Poppins in Shaiman-Wittman composed film
Posted: 2/24/16 at 3:41pm

I think Lin and Emily would have terrific chemistry together. I think it's a good on-screen match.

EDIT: And Lin's voice would be fine (and perfect) for a character like that. They'll write material tailored to him. If it's anything like Bert in the original film, he'll rely more on charm and charisma than a singing voice. And Lin can certainly rise to that occasion.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 2/24/16 at 03:41 PM

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#30Emily Blunt in talks to play Mary Poppins in Shaiman-Wittman composed film
Posted: 2/24/16 at 3:49pm

Silly question as I am sitting here waiting wearing a very stylish backless hospital gown----this new Mary Poppins follows the family 20 years on---is Mary ageless?

I have NOT read the book[s] so don't know if Mary had a life before or after the film story.

Maybe the world is full of Mary Poppinses who come in and out of peoples'  life but are all the same age.

Appreciate your thoughts.

SL....x

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#31Emily Blunt in talks to play Mary Poppins in Shaiman-Wittman composed film
Posted: 2/24/16 at 3:51pm

I think it's kindof random that they drop the line about him consulting on the music?? I'm not sure what that means. The URL says he's to compose but that isn't stated in the article (maybe they took it out?).

Also interesting that this description spins it as a legit sequel, featuring the Banks children grown up and Mary "returning" to help in time of trouble. They were very keen on downplaying it as a sequel previously, no?

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#32Emily Blunt in talks to play Mary Poppins in Shaiman-Wittman composed film
Posted: 2/24/16 at 4:39pm

He'll play a lamplighter named Jack. So surprised about this! He has a kind, warm presence. He'll do great in this, singing voice aside 

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#33Emily Blunt in talks to play Mary Poppins in Shaiman-Wittman composed film
Posted: 2/24/16 at 5:19pm

I read the original books many ages ago, and I loved them. They are all episodic in form, and the "episodes" from the 1964 Disney film come from the first two books (the chalk painting holiday, Uncle Albert's tea party on the ceiling, etc.).

They don't jump time between books, and Jane and Michael aren't grown up. They do end up with two younger siblings (twins) however, so Mary comes back.

It sounds like they will take some of the episodes from the other books and add in a new story of their own, with Jane and Michael as adults.

Mrtrobz
#34Emily Blunt in talks to play Mary Poppins in Shaiman-Wittman composed film
Posted: 2/24/16 at 5:34pm

How about Maggie and Jake Gyllenhal as Jane and Michael, Maggie does a perfect English accent and they can both carry a tune.

Updated On: 2/24/16 at 05:34 PM

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#35Emily Blunt in talks to play Mary Poppins in Shaiman-Wittman composed film
Posted: 2/24/16 at 5:35pm

^ That's inspired!

Jshan05 Profile Photo
Jshan05
#36Emily Blunt in talks to play Mary Poppins in Shaiman-Wittman composed film
Posted: 2/24/16 at 5:40pm

Mrtrobz said: "Hoe about Maggie and Jake Gyllenhal as Jane and Michael, Maggie does a perfect English accent and they can both carry a tune."

AGREED! This would be amazing casting...especially is Jake keeps enjoying the theater world as much as he has the last year!

TrulyOutrageousJem Profile Photo
TrulyOutrageousJem
#37Emily Blunt in talks to play Mary Poppins in Shaiman-Wittman composed film
Posted: 2/24/16 at 5:47pm

This is a decidedly unpopular opinion but I really hope that they decide to go another direction in regards to Lin. Admittedly, I am not a fan. I can see that he might make an interesting choice for the role, and maybe even do it well. But I just can not abide by rapping anywhere near Mary Poppins. Keep him away from the score and this might be tolerable.

Mrtrobz
#38Emily Blunt in talks to play Mary Poppins in Shaiman-Wittman composed film
Posted: 2/24/16 at 5:50pm

Of course this is a Rob Marshall film so I expect Baranski will be Miss Andrew and Tracey Ullman as one of the house keeps. :)

Jshan05 Profile Photo
Jshan05
#39Emily Blunt in talks to play Mary Poppins in Shaiman-Wittman composed film
Posted: 2/24/16 at 5:50pm

TrulyOutrageousJem said: "This is a decidedly unpopular opinion but I really hope that they decide to go another direction in regards to Lin. Admittedly, I am not a fan. I can see that he might make an interesting choice for the role, and maybe even do it well. But I just can not abide by rapping anywhere near Mary Poppins. Keep him away from the score and this might be tolerable."

Who said he would be rapping? While you might not like him, which is fine, there is no question that he writes very well outside of the hip-hop genre. There are quite a few songs that don't involve rapping (Breathe from ITH, You'll Be Back, Burn, etc from Hamilton.) I'm excited to see how this casting plays out...

wonkit
#40Emily Blunt in talks to play Mary Poppins in Shaiman-Wittman composed film
Posted: 2/24/16 at 6:01pm

Back to my original remark about MISCAST - Miranda stands out like a sore thumb when surrounded by performers who sing well, so pairing him with Emily Blunt runs the risk that he will be "Miranda" and not "Jack."

Wilmingtom
#41Emily Blunt in talks to play Mary Poppins in Shaiman-Wittman composed film
Posted: 2/24/16 at 6:35pm

The title of this thread is misleading.  The character of Mary Poppins will not be a character in this sequel.  It has to do with a nanny Michael Banks hires to care for his children who, of course, will be reminiscent of his childhood nanny.

CarlosAlberto
#42Emily Blunt in talks to play Mary Poppins in Shaiman-Wittman composed film
Posted: 2/24/16 at 6:40pm

@JShan5: Where did you get the misguided notion that Miranda would be rapping anything in this film if he's cast?

I am Miranda has what the producers are looking for in this role or else they wouldn't be considering him and if he's cast they will tailor the material to his talent. 

Its just that simple.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#43Emily Blunt in talks to play Mary Poppins in Shaiman-Wittman composed film
Posted: 2/24/16 at 6:40pm

Wilmingtom said: "The title of this thread is misleading.  The character of Mary Poppins will not be a character in this sequel.  It has to do with a nanny Michael Banks hires to care for his children who, of course, will be reminiscent of his childhood nanny.

"

"Sources tell the site that the new version of the story will be set in Depression-era London, the period that the books were originally written and 20 years after the first film was set. It will incorporate storylines from P.L. Travers' books which center on Poppins adventures with the Banks family. The original musical will follow the now grown Banks children, Jane and Michael who are facing a personal loss that precipitates the return of the magical Mary Poppins who, together with her lamplighter friend Jack, help the family through the crisis."

RW3
#44Emily Blunt in talks to play Mary Poppins in Shaiman-Wittman composed film
Posted: 2/24/16 at 6:42pm

Uh Wilmington, Mary Poppins will be in the movie. The plot of the movie is in the 6th paragraph.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/emily-blunt-talks-star-disneys-867435

CarlosAlberto
#45Emily Blunt in talks to play Mary Poppins in Shaiman-Wittman composed film
Posted: 2/24/16 at 6:43pm

Some of you lack basic reading comprehension. Rude but true. Read the whole article before adding your two cents. Mary Poppins is most definitely in this movie. She's the lead character! 

RW3
#46Emily Blunt in talks to play Mary Poppins in Shaiman-Wittman composed film
Posted: 2/24/16 at 6:54pm

Sidenote: Lin is already working with Disney on Moana so for him to do this seems logical.

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#47Emily Blunt in talks to play Mary Poppins in Shaiman-Wittman composed film
Posted: 2/24/16 at 7:04pm

I get that some of you folks don't enjoy Lin's singing voice, but to claim that he is miscast in a role we know one sentence of information about, that he is originating, and that he may be writing for is kind of silly at this juncture. 

Wilmingtom
#48Emily Blunt in talks to play Mary Poppins in Shaiman-Wittman composed film
Posted: 2/24/16 at 7:25pm

My bad.  I was under the impression that Blunt would be playing a new nanny.  Isn't she a bit young to play Mary 20 years later?

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#49Emily Blunt in talks to play Mary Poppins in Shaiman-Wittman composed film
Posted: 2/24/16 at 7:41pm

Blunt would be perfect, not so much Miranda.  Totally wrong for the part, imo.  I know he's hot right now but let's not get carried away.  

The only review of a show that matters is your own.