Tony nom rants

Hellob Profile Photo
Hellob
#75Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 11:08am

Not really a rant but it must be awkward for 3/4 actors of LDJ to be nominated (even though the 4th wasn't expected). 

BakerWilliams Profile Photo
BakerWilliams
#76Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 11:10am

I still don't get what makes Hamilton so popular. It's very good, but give it a rest!

"In memory, everything happens to music"

ChangingMyMajor
#77Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 11:11am

non-stop26 said: " I didn't expect Jonathan Groff to be nominated though.

I know!  Groff had an amazing performance, but he's not in it as much as Daveed and Chris.  I personally think that Anthony Ramos should have gotten the nomination instead of Groff, but any of the nominees for Best Featured Actor are deserving.

"

aaaaaa15
#78Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 11:14am

BakerWilliams said: "I still don't get what makes Hamilton so popular. It's very good, but give it a rest!"

It's popular because it's very good.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#79Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 11:15am

Hellob said: "Not really a rant but it must be awkward for 3/4 actors of LDJ to be nominated (even though the 4th wasn't expected). 

I had that same thought.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

ChangingMyMajor
#80Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 11:15am

BeNice said: "I'm actually a little surprised the band kids in School of Rock weren't given a special Tony like they did with Matilda and Billy Elliot. Those kids playing the band are really something to behold this season.

Well, Matilda was the title character, and would almost certainly have been nominated for best actress, if there weren't four actresses.  Matilda is the clear lead.  However, in School of Rock, Alex Brightman is the lead, so the kids aren't getting as much attention. 

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#81Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 11:20am

Laurie Metcalf? Are you kidding me? Annaleigh deserved that spot.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Owen22
#82Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 11:25am

Steve Martin's book (the worst part of Bright Star) over Jessie Nelson's for Waitress. What the....?

indytallguy
#83Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 11:25am

BakerWilliams said: "I still don't get what makes Hamilton so popular. It's very good, but give it a rest!
"

So it shouldn't get TONY nominations to honor that goodness? :)

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#84Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 11:28am

Happy for the Bright Star love, but it did not deserve a Book nomination. Even the show's greatest fans have admitted that it's the show's biggest shortcoming.

10086sunset
#85Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 11:34am

Kad said: "

I'm mostly surprised not one category spilled over into 6 nominees in this highly competitive year.

"

I was also most surprised by this...

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#86Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 11:37am

^ I mean, Best Musical saw five instead of four nominations, which is rather unprecedented. 

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#87Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 11:37am

BroadwayConcierge said: "Happy for the Bright Star love, but it did not deserve a Book nomination. Even the show's greatest fans have admitted that it's the show's biggest shortcoming.

Once again, the Tony committee kisses the butt of a celebrity. Give Steve a nomination at any cost for the atrocious, snooze of a book.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

neonlightsxo
#88Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 11:39am

Owen22 said: "Steve Martin's book (the worst part of Bright Star) over Jessie Nelson's for Waitress. What the....?"

Between this and the Drama Desks, it's quite clear nobody knows how to judge the book of a musical.

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#89Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 11:39am

BroadwayConcierge said: "^ I mean, Best Musical saw five instead of four nominations, which is rather unprecedented. 

"

Revival of a Musical and Revival of a Play also each had an extra. I think that's unprecedented, no? Three of the four Best Show categories going to a tie?

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#90Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 11:42am

ChangingMyMajor said: "sng said: "Complete snub for Allegiance Tony nom rants

My friend was really mad about that too.  If only it hadn't closed.
"

If it hadn't, it would have cost the producers a whole lot more money than a Tony nomination would be worthy of.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

TweetyPie2 Profile Photo
TweetyPie2
#91Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 11:43am

BakerWilliams said: "I still don't get what makes Hamilton so popular. It's very good, but give it a rest!"

It's popular because it's very good."

It's not that good. It's just not. I don't think it will stand the test of time.

What I want to know is, who is TweetyPie1?

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#92Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 11:44am

neonlightsxo said: "Owen22 said: "Steve Martin's book (the worst part of Bright Star) over Jessie Nelson's for Waitress. What the....?"

Between this and the Drama Desks, it's quite clear nobody knows how to judge the book of a musical.
"

Ditto to all of this. 

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

ChildofEarth Profile Photo
ChildofEarth
#93Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 11:44am

Ben Whishaw to me is the biggest miss of the nominations.

I think Groff was a miss as well, though I think they should have traded him for Ramos. Groff couldn't even stay with the role for a year - I understand taking a bigger role, but reward someone else.

JoseLee_ Profile Photo
JoseLee_
#94Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 11:45am

My heart hurts for On Your Feet! I've been listening to the cast recording everyday, all day, since it came out. And also I love the score for American Psycho. Other than those I'm good, but I'm still kinda sad.

mpkie
#95Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 11:46am

I feel sad for Spring Awakening because I thought Austin McKenzie and Sandra Mae Frank gave Tony worthy performances. Such wonderful young talent.

And I thought it would get a nod for Best Choreography for the creative weaving of sign language into its choreography.

Krysta Rodriguez pretty much killed it as well.

Updated On: 5/3/16 at 11:46 AM

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#96Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 11:47am

ChildofEarth said: "I think Groff was a miss as well, though I think they should have traded him for Ramos. Groff couldn't even stay with the role for a year - I understand taking a bigger role, but reward someone else."

I agree that Groff is the miss in the Featured category but I think his replacement should have been Paul Alexander Nolan. Ramos is good but not award worthy. There didn't need to be three Hamilton actors in that category. 

Listening to his songs in Bright Star has reminded me how great his performance was. I think I was so enamored by Cusack's and irritated by the parts I didn't like that I didn't fully realize how much he brought to the role. 

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

10086sunset
#97Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 11:52am

BroadwayConcierge said: "^ I mean, Best Musical saw five instead of four nominations, which is rather unprecedented. 

"

You are correct BC....

I was looking at it from the acting categories... 

neonlightsxo
#98Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 11:55am

Groff stayed with the show for a year. From the Public to Broadway.

neonlightsxo
#99Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 11:56am

little_sally said: "Hellob said: "Not really a rant but it must be awkward for 3/4 actors of LDJ to be nominated (even though the 4th wasn't expected). 
I had that same thought.
"

Luckily JGJ has a Tony Award already. :)