pixeltracker

Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!- Page 2

Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#25Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 5/18/16 at 10:10pm

I was really hoping Annaleigh Ashford would lead a revival as Charity, but Sutton will be spectacular, of course. She's 100% right for the role.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#26Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 5/18/16 at 10:14pm

From a dance standpoint, no I don't think she is as strong as the legends who have done the Fosse choreography, including Debbie Allen. It doesn't really matter though, this production won't be using the Fosse choreography. 

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#27Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 5/18/16 at 11:07pm

Foster is a wonderful dancer. She dances with personality, which is what made Fosse's and Michael Bennett's dancers so unique and inimitable. Her performance of "Show Off" at the Tonys is pure Gwen Verdon magic. She certainly doesn't have the technique that say Bebe Neuwirth has, which I think is where you are getting at, Ljay. But when I think of the great triple threats like Gwen Verdon, Chita Rivera, Bebe Neuwirth, and Rita Moreno, I mostly think about how much personality they were able to bring to the dancing, which is why they are so brilliant at musical theatre acting. Foster is great at that, and she will actually get the humor of the show, which is so important to making the weaker elements of Neil Simon's book work.

Really, Jane Krakowski is the only person I can think of working right now who is the most ideal person for the role. It's a real shame Neil Simon ruined her casting in the last revival, though come to think of it, she kind of dodged a bullet there. Remember when Marisa Tomei was cast? I wonder what that would have been like.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#28Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 5/18/16 at 11:22pm

Sutton makes complete sense as Charity. She is (in my opinion) a true triple-threat. The more I think about it, the more excited I am to see her in the this in such an intimate venue. I only hope the production values and rest of the cast are great. This could (and should) really be something special.

VintageSnarker
#29Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 5/19/16 at 1:03am

Oh, God, I really want to see this. But I don't have room in my budget right now to spring for a subscription when I have no interest in the other shows. Is it only running for two months?

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#30Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 5/19/16 at 2:31am

Gosh this is weird. Is it at Signature? Obviously it will sell-out quickly. I'm just confused by all of this. Does she only have 2 months out of the year so she went with New Group? I mean their name alone doesn't make sense for this revival? I don't understand it all. She made VIOLET is a sold-out hit on Broadway and that was a show no one really knew. 

mtchairs Profile Photo
mtchairs
#31Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 5/19/16 at 4:43am

Does anyone know the exact dates in November-December this is running?

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#32Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 5/19/16 at 5:59am

Man, I wish they -would- use the Fosse choreo. It's a show like WSS and ACL where I can't see it ever topped--Cilento's for the last revival, while a fine Fosse dancer, proved this. But of course Fosse unlike Bennett and Robbbins didn't care at all about his choreo being preserved. 

Bergasse is great and did well in the Robbins style for Town, but...

Updated On: 5/19/16 at 05:59 AM

#33Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 5/19/16 at 7:00am

I can't imagine a version of this show without the Fosse choreography.

But I couldn't imagine Pippin without it either, and the revival was smashing.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#34Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 5/19/16 at 7:13am

RippedMan said: "She made VIOLET is a sold-out hit on Broadway and that was a show no one really knew."

Violet was far from sold out on Broadway.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

JayG  2 Profile Photo
JayG 2
#35Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 5/19/16 at 7:54am

Why do people insist on putting cutesy-woolsey, freshly scrubbed  blondes in the part of Charity? Applegate now Foster? Really? Charity has been around the block - a lot. She's tired. Does a director even care what about the script.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#36Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 5/19/16 at 8:02am

JayG 2 said: "Why do people insist on putting cutesy-woolsey, freshly scrubbed  blondes in the part of Charity? Applegate now Foster? Really? Charity has been around the block - a lot. She's tired. Does a director even care what about the script."

1. Foster doesn't have blond hair.

2. Foster is over 40 and can hardly be described as "freshly scrubbed."

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

#37Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 5/19/16 at 8:15am

JayG 2 said: "Why do people insist on putting cutesy-woolsey, freshly scrubbed  blondes in the part of Charity? Applegate now Foster? Really? Charity has been around the block - a lot. She's tired. Does a director even care what about the script.

"

She may be tired, but her naivete is essential to the character. Even in Nights of Cabiria  the character is wide eyed.

JayG  2 Profile Photo
JayG 2
#38Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 5/19/16 at 8:40am

AC126etc. Foster comes across as a nice little soccer mom with few traces of being used time and time again. The antithesis of Charity. 

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#39Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 5/19/16 at 9:06am

She may be a little too wholesome for the role, but I do feel that she has the right spirit and personality for it. 

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#40Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 5/19/16 at 9:10am

Having seen Foster broaden her range in VioletThe Wild Party, and Trust (in which she convincingly played a dominatrix), I don't think she will have any difficulty tamping down some of her more wholesome personality traits for the role.

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#41Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 5/19/16 at 9:31am

JayG 2 said: "AC126etc. Foster comes across as a nice little soccer mom with few traces of being used time and time again. The antithesis of Charity. "

Sutton Foster is the exact age Gwen Verdon was when she originated the role. She'll even have a few months on Verdon by the time this opens. She's the right age, she has the talent, and she has the same director who led her to give one of the best performances I have ever seen. Plus, she has Bergasse choreographing who could really do some incredible stuff with this (his work in On the Town should be enough to give people at least SOME faith in him).

Well, I'm thrilled, at least. 

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#42Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 5/19/16 at 9:43am

It always baffles me when people expect actors to perform roles that only mirror their off-stage/off-screen personalities. She's an actor. If a role requires her to be gritty, she'll act gritty.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#43Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 5/19/16 at 10:01am

Well I thought she was hardly gritty in The Wild Party.  It was not a great match for her. Charity  should be a much better fit. 

Theater_Nerd Profile Photo
Theater_Nerd
#44Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 5/19/16 at 10:21am

JayG 2 said: "Why do people insist on putting cutesy-woolsey, freshly scrubbed  blondes in the part of Charity? Applegate now Foster? Really? Charity has been around the block - a lot. She's tired. Does a director even care what about the script.

While Foster is not a blonde, I agree with this, she's too perky and fresh faced for this role. 

EDIT: On the other hand I initially thought she was all wrong for "Reno" in ANYTHING GOES and she proved me wrong and blew me away in the process. 

You Can Disagree Without Being Disagreeable
Updated On: 5/19/16 at 10:21 AM

nsguy45 Profile Photo
nsguy45
#45Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 5/19/16 at 12:08pm

She's appearing in concert with the Boston Pops next Thursday and Friday.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#46Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 5/19/16 at 12:43pm

Charity's essential quality, and one I've never seen in Foster (absolutely terrific though she is) is pathos.

Hers will, I can imagine, be a sweet performance, adept, professional, and vocally stronger than it needs to be. But I can't imagine her conveying that ephemeral mix of naturally common, coarse, faded, but always hopeful that both Giulietta Masina and Gwen Verdon possessed. It will be a difference between skill and magic.

smidge
#47Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 5/19/16 at 12:55pm

AC126748 said: "Having seen Foster broaden her range in VioletThe Wild Party, and Trust (in which she convincingly played a dominatrix), I don't think she will have any difficulty tamping down some of her more wholesome personality traits for the role.

This is exactly what I was thinking.  She has proven she has moved past ingenue roles. I'm sure she'll have no problem with Charity. 

"

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#48Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 5/19/16 at 1:40pm

Foster comes across as a nice little soccer mom with few traces of being used time and time again. 

I actually saw her convincing and heartbreaking performance as Violet and that alone convinces me that she would have no problem with playing a convincing Charity, especially as written, which is a very cutesy take on what is supposed to be a gritty character.  The musical is much more focused on Charity's optimism and naivete than the darker aspects of her past or situation.  The pathos of Charity is in fleeting small doses and mostly saved for the ending, but every tiny morsel of bitterness is engulfed in cotton candy.  Even the original ending has her shrugging off disappointment and dancing "hopefully" ever after.  One of the things I never liked about the show was that her character was not well-written and more pathetic than interesting.  The constant comedy and yes, perkiness (written right into that score) is a required distraction to try and keep Charity from being completely unsympathetic.

So, if you believe any actress is too perky for the part, you would need to rewrite much of the book and score.  And if you think Sutton can only play wholesome and perky, then I can only assume you didn't catch her in Violet, which is a shame.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#49Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
Posted: 5/19/16 at 2:20pm

Does Ana Faris sing or dance? This seems like the role she was born to play.