Waitress Cast Recording

a-mad
#25Waitress Cast Recording
Posted: 6/3/16 at 10:40am

I'm listening to "Preview All" in Apple right now on continual play smiley.  I will probably buy on Amazon once the CD becomes available so I can get both the disc and the digital.

The album is already #14 on Apple!!  Pretty cool.

It sounds terrific, and it's interesting to hear the different takes of the songs after listening to Sara's CD over and over again.  Jessie has such a different voice compared to other Broadway belters - I like it, and it really does fit this role well.  It will be interesting to see what the producers do when Jessie decides to leave.  Will they go for a more traditional type ala Laura Osnes, or something a little quirkier.

I agree with other posters that "What Baking Can Do" seems to fit the story well, despite Door Number Three being a great song in it's own right.  Not crazy about It Only Takes a Taste, Take it From an Old Man and I Love You Like a Table (from the sample)... but perhaps they work better on stage.

Updated On: 6/3/16 at 10:40 AM

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#26Waitress Cast Recording
Posted: 6/3/16 at 10:42am

I'm loving this recording! It's nice to get to hear some of the lyrics a little more clearly than you can in the theatre. Jessie Mueller has such a chameleon voice she's really amazing.

I think this would be a frontrunner for best score if the big show wasn't around.

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

gmhots
#27Waitress Cast Recording
Posted: 6/3/16 at 10:44am

The mix sounds pretty sub-par for a professional OCR. The instruments sound reverb-y and muddled to me—anyone else feel the same way?

Of course, love all the songs and Jessie, but still.

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#28Waitress Cast Recording
Posted: 6/3/16 at 10:48am

So many emotions packed in What Baking Can Do. I don't dislike Door Number Three, and agree that it's a fairly good song by the standard of pop. But in terms of musical theater, it falls short as a pretty flat I-Want number while What Baking Can Do gives so much more insight into what Jenna is as a person.

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#29Waitress Cast Recording
Posted: 6/3/16 at 11:08am

Dancingthrulife2 said: "So many emotions packed in What Baking Can Do. I don't dislike Door Number Three, and agree that it's a fairly good song by the standard of pop. But in terms of musical theater, it falls short as a pretty flat I-Want number while What Baking Can Do gives so much more insight into what Jenna is as a person."

I totally agree. What Baking Can Do has become a beautiful song and really gives us early insight into Jenna's character and what is to come for her.

Bareilles has mentioned that she did love Door Number Three but that changes had to be made and it was part of the process. I'm sure people gave her input, but I think it's pretty impressive for a first time musical theatre composer to understand that the song needed to be changed in order to help the story be more effective. I like that What Baking still has musical elements of Door Number Three though and they also show up later in the score which is lovely

Bareilles did a nice job keeping the score cohesive, with the same tunes woven into multiple songs. Love You Like a Table is a silly song but I love how it turned into a mix of both Ogie and Dawn's signature song.

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#30Waitress Cast Recording
Posted: 6/3/16 at 12:47pm

I actually love "Love you like a table."  It may be silly, but it really represents the two characters and Ogie's "spontaneous poetry."

I really love the arrangements of these songs.  The band sounds unique and wonderful.

I wonder if this will be the frontrunner for next year's Grammy.

neonlightsxo
#31Waitress Cast Recording
Posted: 6/3/16 at 1:02pm

gmhots said: "The mix sounds pretty sub-par for a professional OCR. The instruments sound reverb-y and muddled to me—anyone else feel the same way?"

I didn't notice that at all, but my ears aren't really attuned to that kind of thing.

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#32Waitress Cast Recording
Posted: 6/3/16 at 1:37pm

I always reserve ultimate judgement on mixing until I hear the actual CD. Anything else is never going to sound aaaaas good although since so many people buy digital nowadays they should really start trying harder.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

Petrichor
#33Waitress Cast Recording
Posted: 6/3/16 at 1:40pm

gmhots said: "The mix sounds pretty sub-par for a professional OCR. The instruments sound reverb-y and muddled to me—anyone else feel the same way?

Of course, love all the songs and Jessie, but still.

"

I agree with this on some level. Haven't gotten a chance to listen to the entire album yet but I saw the show a couple of days ago and I think the instruments, even the vocals, sounded better live. Maybe that small difference within the OCR is the reason why. Nevertheless, the music is still good. Both Jessie Mueller and Kimiko Glenn have such soft and smooth voices, very pretty to listen to. :)

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#34Waitress Cast Recording
Posted: 6/3/16 at 2:23pm

Um not gonna lie, I was planning on getting Waitress tickets for next weekend - but after listening to this album I think I'll just rewatch The Color Purple/She Loves Me instead. I got spoiled by Sara's album to be fair, which I think was just produced a lot better. But I can see why all the reviews of this show have commented on lack of a strong book.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

a-mad
#35Waitress Cast Recording
Posted: 6/3/16 at 3:30pm

^ interesting... I've loved Sara's CD as well and have listened to it over and over, but after listening to the snippets of the OBCR I personally still can't wait to see it.  There were a couple of new songs I wasn't particularly excited about, but overall I can see why people are going crazy for this show.  It's just different enough to what's out there that it's obviously touching a nerve with the GP.

a-mad
#36Waitress Cast Recording
Posted: 6/3/16 at 3:39pm

It's now in the Top 10 on iTunes!  Big congrats to Sara, Diane, Jessie (... and Jessie!), and the entire cast and band...

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#37Waitress Cast Recording
Posted: 6/3/16 at 4:31pm

gmhots said: "The mix sounds pretty sub-par for a professional OCR. The instruments sound reverb-y and muddled to me—anyone else feel the same way?

Of course, love all the songs and Jessie, but still."

yes, this is exactly what I meant. the mix is not correct. I kept turning my equalizer on and off on iTunes to see if it would make a difference but it didn't really. I still had fun listening to the album though.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#38Waitress Cast Recording
Posted: 6/3/16 at 5:12pm

As a general rule, I really dislike the 'mix' on almost all contemporary cast recordings.  They all sound so flat and compressed; I'm not sure what has changed in the last 25 years - if its a 'taste' thing or a digital recording thing, but I miss the space surrounding the sound on the great classic OBC recordings.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#39Waitress Cast Recording
Posted: 6/3/16 at 5:12pm

As a general rule, I really dislike the 'mix' on almost all contemporary cast recordings.  They all sound so flat and compressed; I'm not sure what has changed in the last 25 years - if its a 'taste' thing or a digital recording thing, but I miss the space surrounding the sound on the great classic OBC recordings.

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#40Waitress Cast Recording
Posted: 6/3/16 at 5:30pm

QueenAlice said: "As a general rule, I really dislike the 'mix' on almost all contemporary cast recordings.  They all sound so flat and compressed; I'm not sure what has changed in the last 25 years - if its a 'taste' thing or a digital recording thing, but I miss the space surrounding the sound on the great classic OBC recordings."

I think that Thomas Z. Shepard produced the richest sounding cast albums. 

gmhots
#41Waitress Cast Recording
Posted: 6/3/16 at 7:35pm

Agreed w/ QueenAlice—those classic cast recordings are great! I particularly love the Oliver! revival. For Waitress, I'm of course going to grab a CD but digital is huge these days, so they shouldn't be "skimping" on anything either way. Maybe I'll have a change of heart with my physical copy!

I sat front row mezz center when I went and had a hard time with the muddled sound. The accents make it that much harder (I love the accents, but just wish everything was crisper.) 

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#42Waitress Cast Recording
Posted: 6/3/16 at 8:32pm

Michelle, I completely agree. And just googling again the cast recordings Thomas Shepard produced; they are pretty much all of my favorites: from 1776 to all the Sondheim shows to The Secret Garden....amazing accomplishment.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#43Waitress Cast Recording
Posted: 6/5/16 at 12:05am

Valentina I feel the same way! I love Sara's take on the songs. And now, hearing them with that typical nasal Broadway sound, I just couldn't get into it. I was so ready to spend good money on a ticket, but, apart from Mueller, who I think her voice sounds beautiful on the songs, I think everyone else sounds way too white-washed/safe on the songs. Gehling's voice is super nasal and weird sounding, and I don't find his voice attractive. Seattle's voice, of course, is incredible, but I think she over-sang "I Didn't Plan It," and made it into something it didn't need to be. I much prefer  Sara's more emotional/subtle take on it. And I prefer the arrangements on Sara's album more. They sounded more earthy and real and honest to me, whereas these arrangements sound overblown and "Broadway" which is not what this show really is. I was in a rush to get a ticket, but now I think I'll wait till they get on TDF. 

rcwr Profile Photo
rcwr
#44Waitress Cast Recording
Posted: 8/6/16 at 11:42pm

gmhots said: "The mix sounds pretty sub-par for a professional OCR. The instruments sound reverb-y and muddled to me—anyone else feel the same way?"

I've finally had time to listen properly to the CD and I agree 100%. I'm listening on my stereo with good speakers and it sounds murky throughout.