pixeltracker

An American In Paris Closing - Page 4

An American In Paris Closing

gimlet2
#75An American In Paris Closing
Posted: 7/26/16 at 7:59pm

Liza's Headband said: "disneybroadwayfan22 said: "Dang, October 9 now? So early.

"

In what world is 2+ months from now considered "early?"

"

Any world in which time flows in one direction? "Early" only has meaning if an event is compared to a point in its future; "soon" is compared to its past.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#76An American In Paris Closing
Posted: 7/26/16 at 8:03pm

Well, even though I seem in the minority, I am still glad I saw it (and maybe more so, from everything said, with its original cast).  A beautiful show.

Incidentally, Wheeldon's ballet version of Winter's Tale is playing at the LCT, and it's one of the more striking modern story ballets I've seen (especially considering its source).

#77An American In Paris Closing
Posted: 7/26/16 at 8:15pm

Liza's Headband said: "If you think me questioning your use of hyperbole is "rude," we have a larger problem here. 

"

What hyperbole were you (rudely) questioning? He said it was "so early" which doesn't seem like a hyperbole to me. In any case, it's true. It is very early, which is too bad.

Liza's Headband
#78An American In Paris Closing
Posted: 7/26/16 at 9:11pm

I'm failing to see what constitutes this change as either "very" or "so early." It was moved up by less than three months, and the newer date is still more than two months away. Feel free to fill in the blanks for me... 

Updated On: 7/26/16 at 09:11 PM

BroadwayMan5
#79An American In Paris Closing
Posted: 7/26/16 at 9:31pm

So unless it closes before October 9, Something Rotten will be the longest running show of the 2014-15 season.

FiddleMeThis
#80An American In Paris Closing
Posted: 7/26/16 at 9:34pm

This show will absolutely not recoup before closing. They will continue to bring in money via international productions but Broadway will close at a loss. These producers have all along been less than savvy about how to handle this property. I'm surprised they are not closing on Labor Day. Hopefully the tour will be more economical and thus more profitable, but I'm sure the road producers are skeptical. 

neonlightsxo
#81An American In Paris Closing
Posted: 7/26/16 at 9:58pm

That's why I said along the way. I know it won't recoup before closing. 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#82An American In Paris Closing
Posted: 7/26/16 at 10:03pm

Will something rotten last past wills end date?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#83An American In Paris Closing
Posted: 7/27/16 at 9:58am

I wonder if the Broadway conspiracy theorists are exploring the fact it announces a new closing date within 24 hours of Jimmy Nederlander passing away.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Call_me_jorge
#84An American In Paris Closing
Posted: 7/27/16 at 10:18am

^how would the two have any connection? Hasn't James L Nederlander been running the company?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Harrisonmlewis Profile Photo
Harrisonmlewis
#85An American In Paris Closing
Posted: 7/27/16 at 7:24pm

Headband, why are you so angry? Why can't he just believe that it's early?

FiddleMeThis
#86An American In Paris Limping to Finish Line
Posted: 9/24/16 at 7:20pm

grosses look strong but show is decidedly not holding up. Saw matinee this week and a ton of people were out, saw 2nd cover as Jerry and it wasn't a Broadway caliber performance by any stretch of the imagination. Maybe the choreography is too difficult to maintain 8x a week? So many gorgeous elements but overall- this show just doesn't work and it's limping along now that it's about to close. 

broadwayboy223
#87An American In Paris Limping to Finish Line
Posted: 9/24/16 at 8:01pm

I saw the show last night and it was in wonderful shape. The cast was all on no understudies. The guy playing jerry isn't a great singer but the rest of the cast made up for it. I thought it was a beautiful show! I will be going back before it closes for sure. 

asmith0307
#88An American In Paris Limping to Finish Line
Posted: 9/24/16 at 8:04pm

FiddleMeThis said: "grosses look strong but show is decidedly not holding up. Saw matinee this week and a ton of people were out, saw 2nd cover as Jerry and it wasn't a Broadway caliber performance by any stretch of the imagination. Maybe the choreography is too difficult to maintain 8x a week? So many gorgeous elements but overall- this show just doesn't work and it's limping along now that it's about to close. "

We get it. You don't like the show. 

FiddleMeThis
#89An American In Paris Limping to Finish Line
Posted: 9/24/16 at 10:38pm

So interesting how having a weak lead and numerous understudies can change how a show presents to an audience... I've loved it many times in the past, this time was really a disappointment. 

UncleCharlie
#90An American In Paris Closing
Posted: 9/24/16 at 11:27pm

FiddleMeThis said: "So interesting how having a weak lead and numerous understudies can change how a show presents to an audience... I've loved it many times in the past, this time was really a disappointment. 

For someone who claims to have loved it in the past, strange for you to make the comment "So many gorgeous elements but overall- this show just doesn't work" rather than be able to discern in your original comment that your negative experience this time might have been due to a lot of understudies being on.

I saw it 2 Sundays ago. von Essen was out but his understudy was very good and the rest of the cast was in and strong. The storyline is what it is but you see it for the dancing and that was great. It was a very enjoyable afternoon at the theater and the show is holding up fine.

Call_me_jorge
#91An American In Paris Closing
Posted: 9/24/16 at 11:32pm

The cast got their flu shots today, per maxes snapchat story

FiddleMeThis
#92An American In Paris Closing
Posted: 9/25/16 at 6:14pm

Good for them!

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#93An American In Paris Closing
Posted: 10/5/16 at 2:06pm

Totally forgot about its closing this Sunday so I just snagged fabulous tickets for tomorrow night that weren't there last night.  Love catching ticket releases.  

Kept putting the show off since it opened so I'm happy I won't be missing it.   

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#94An American In Paris Closing
Posted: 10/5/16 at 2:17pm

I'm bummed this is closing. I thought this show was absolutely delightful. Im grateful I got to see it a few times. 

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#95An American In Paris Closing
Posted: 10/5/16 at 2:42pm

I saw this show for the first time two weeks ago, at the Wednesday matinee. The matinee alternate for Jerry was out; the alternate for the alternate was atrocious. No voice and not even that charismatic a dancer. Leanne Cope's voice is the size of a gnat, and not particularly pleasant, but at least she only sings one song. She's obviously a dancer first, and her dancing is quite good, but her role seemed smaller than it should be. Shame that Jill Paice is wasted in a nothing part. Veanne Cox was out. The ensemble seemed to be giving it about 75%, and that's me being generous. I was scratching my head as to how it made it this long.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body
Updated On: 10/5/16 at 02:42 PM

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#96An American In Paris Closing
Posted: 10/5/16 at 3:20pm

75%!  Yaaaas!  

Super excited now.  Hopefully they pretend to hold up telephones to their ears as they "phone in" their performances.  Love!   

FiddleMeThis
#97An American In Paris Closing
Posted: 10/5/16 at 5:01pm

AC126748 said: "I saw this show for the first time two weeks ago, at the Wednesday matinee. The matinee alternate for Jerry was out; the alternate for the alternate was atrocious. No voice and not even that charismatic a dancer. Leanne Cope's voice is the size of a gnat, and not particularly pleasant, but at least she only sings one song. She's obviously a dancer first, and her dancing is quite good, but her role seemed smaller than it should be. Shame that Jill Paice is wasted in a nothing part. Veanne Cox was out. The ensemble seemed to be giving it about 75%, and that's me being generous. I was scratching my head as to how it made it this long.

"

YUP

Videos