TKTS Prices

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#1TKTS Prices
Posted: 6/26/16 at 11:38pm

For those of you who have been to the Times Square TKTS booth recently, how were the prices?  Specifically for The Color Purple, Shuffle Along, and Waitress.

ChiTheaterFan
#2TKTS Prices
Posted: 6/26/16 at 11:59pm

I don't think Shuffle and Waitress are on TKTS much. (I tried for waitress a week ago and it was only restricted view. I went to the box office and they had a few non-restricted seats left at full price.). They have an app you can download and it will show you current availability. So if you watch it for a few days before you're trying it will give you a sense. It says the % discount, which is the discount from top (non-premium) price, so you can pretty much figure out what the cost would be from that. 

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#3TKTS Prices
Posted: 6/27/16 at 12:06am

Thursday night Color Purple was 30% off, I remember.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#4TKTS Prices
Posted: 6/27/16 at 12:29am

I paid $100 for a rear orchestra seat (40% off) for Waitress last week. I believe most of what they had was obstructed view but our seats were full view.

@z5
#5TKTS Prices
Posted: 6/27/16 at 1:01am

Honestly I've found that more times than not, discount codes in advance provide about the same prices except u can choose your seats and know in advance. TKTS sucks for the most part.

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#6TKTS Prices
Posted: 6/27/16 at 2:36am

Sorry to piggyback onto this thread, but I'm trying to figure out how to get the best seats to Fun Home for the best price. If I were to go the TKTS route, knowing that they sell the most expensive seats first, when would I have to show up to try to get a half price $75 or $49 seat for a 7pm performance? I realize it's a weird question with no definite answer, but I'm just looking for a ballpark range. I was thinking between 4 and 5:30ish? Any insight or experience would be wonderful! 

aaaaaa15
#7TKTS Prices
Posted: 6/27/16 at 2:41am

I got a $75 seat for Fun Home (front row centre of the 200s) at about 5:30PM. That was before they announced closing though.

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#8TKTS Prices
Posted: 6/27/16 at 2:45am

^ Did you pay $75, or did you get a discount on the $75 price range of tickets?

aaaaaa15
#9TKTS Prices
Posted: 6/27/16 at 2:53am

I paid $75.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#10TKTS Prices
Posted: 6/27/16 at 7:02am

TKTS prices are just whatever the regular ticket price is, divided by the percentage discount. Then they tack on a few dollars in fees (usually $4-6 per ticket). I'm pretty sure I paid $80 for The Color Purple -- a full-price ($150) ticket at 50% discount ($75), plus $5 in fees. My seats were amazing, too, fourth row center for a Wednesday matinee last month.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

pupscotch
#11TKTS Prices
Posted: 6/27/16 at 7:06am

For Fun Home, I recommend you just go to the theater, because I got really good seats from the box office for $50, while it was $87 from TKTS.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#12TKTS Prices
Posted: 6/27/16 at 7:12am

@z5 said: "Honestly I've found that more times than not, discount codes in advance provide about the same prices except u can choose your seats and know in advance. TKTS sucks for the most part."

I agree. I only suggest TKTS to friends visiting NYC who want to see a show last minute. 

ChiTheaterFan
#13TKTS Prices
Posted: 6/27/16 at 7:13am

You can't really bank on the top ticket price ever being gone at TKTS because the theaters continue to release seats throughout the day. Aside from one time where they only had partial view seats to waitress (which is selling extremely well while Fun Home sadly is not) I've always gotten the most expensive tickets at TKTS. (But they've always been good seats.) If you don't want to pay for the top ticket you're better off using a discount code or checking to see if the box office can give you a deal as others have said. 

ChiTheaterFan
#14TKTS Prices
Posted: 6/27/16 at 7:18am

Wick3 said: "@z5 said: "Honestly I've found that more times than not, discount codes in advance provide about the same prices except u can choose your seats and know in advance. TKTS sucks for the most part."

I agree. I only suggest TKTS to friends visiting NYC who want to see a show last minute. 

"

I think it depends on the show. For those that aren't selling well, you can often get amazing seats through TKTS in the hour or so before curtain that are often ineligible for the discount codes. For American Psycho I used a discount code to get the best possible seat I could. My friend went to TKTS and got a seat that would've been premium price if she had gotten it online as it was ineligible for the discount code. And she paid about $20 less than I did. This seems to be especially true for single tickets--the first time I saw Bright Star I got a 10th row center orchestra seat 20 minutes before curtain. Discount codes are better if you don't want the most expensive seats though. 

aaaaaa15
#15TKTS Prices
Posted: 6/27/16 at 7:20am

Yeah my Fun Home seat was basically the best seat in the house.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#16TKTS Prices
Posted: 6/27/16 at 11:37am

ChiTheaterFan said: "
I think it depends on the show. For those that aren't selling well, you can often get amazing seats through TKTS in the hour or so before curtain that are often ineligible for the discount codes. For American Psycho I used a discount code to get the best possible seat I could. My friend went to TKTS and got a seat that would've been premium price if she had gotten it online as it was ineligible for the discount code. And she paid about $20 less than I did. This seems to be especially true for single tickets--the first time I saw Bright Star I got a 10th row center orchestra seat 20 minutes before curtain. Discount codes are better if you don't want the most expensive seats though. "

Very true. I also used a discount code for American Psycho on the Tuesday of its last week and managed to get front row mezz seats! LOVED IT! Then again, I'm a fan of Duncan Sheik as well.

When a friend was visiting from France, she wanted to see a show but since English wasn't her first language and the fact that she loves Cirque du Soleil, we bought Paramour tickets literally 30 minutes before show time. We got 3rd row side orchestra aisle (closer to center orch) and found the show AMAZING. I personally think theater is a different experience when sitting in a premium seat versus rear mezz or rear balcony. Don't get me wrong, I started watching bway shows from the nosebleed seats and I still watch Bway shows up in the nosebleed seats (but I'll also admit I don'd mind asking the usher if i'ts possible to move to a better seat if there are empty seats.)

@z5
#17TKTS Prices
Posted: 6/27/16 at 11:43am

Fun Home lottery via TodayTix is great too, and doesnt seem that hard to win. I have won it many times.

indytallguy
#18TKTS Prices
Posted: 6/27/16 at 11:47am

This link shows you the past 7 days of activity at TKTS:

http://www.entertainment-link.com/tkts.asp

arcolley
#19TKTS Prices
Posted: 6/28/16 at 11:38am

I paid $89 for Orchestra Row P seats for The Color Purple for this past Saturday's matinee (which were fine, as the theatre is relatively small) and $75 for front row seats in the middle of the 200s at Fun Home for last Friday (those were incredible seats)

LisaR5
#20TKTS Prices
Posted: 6/28/16 at 12:23pm

I got great seats for The Color Purple a few weeks ago - tickets only around $80.00 each

aaaaaa15
#21TKTS Prices
Posted: 6/28/16 at 12:31pm

Same for The Color Purple. I got front mezz row C.

suzycat Profile Photo
suzycat
#22TKTS Prices
Posted: 6/28/16 at 1:44pm

If you can go this weekend, Fun Home (and others) has a $40 + fees special: http://www.starspangledbroadway.com/#fh

Videos